Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Profile for James > Reviews

Browse

James' Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James RSS Feed

Dragon Ball Xenoverse - PlayStation 4
Dragon Ball Xenoverse - PlayStation 4
Price: $39.99
74 used & new from $32.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Waited Some Time Before Reviewing to Get a Good Feel, Accidentally Got Addicted., February 25, 2015
I decided to wait some time after I got this game to write a review, so I could explore enough of the game to be able to recommend it or not. Oops, got addicted. I’ll format this review specifically towards the question (should you purchase if you are interested?)

Dragonball Xenoverse feels like a living Dragonball world. When you open the game up each time you have an option to enter the world, or enter the world with other players. This leads you to an interactive city with either real players or NPCs everywhere, queuing for solo fights, co-op battles, story missions, going to item/skill stores, etc. Everything is a vendor or an NPC that you run to and talk to in this city. Sure it has a goofy name, but the atmosphere this game tries to achieve so far is successful. Hopefully the game is fun then?

Luckily, it's incredibly entertaining. At least for me, a long time DBZ fan, DBZ game fan and also RPG/fighter fan.

Here are the Pros of this particular title that I'd consider when buying it:
- Character customization is incredibly well done. You create your own character which then becomes the main character in the story line. You earn gear for them like an RPG that has noticeable effects, can dress them with cosmetic items, earn levels and choose which attributes to increase, take them on online missions, etc. It's a fully integrated, well made system that makes me feel excited to make another character and design them a different way.
- Combat is great. I've played a lot of DBZ games, and this has my favorite combat yet. The way you can customize exactly how you're fighter is, or how you can select tons of different variants for already existing DBZ characters allows you to always fight the way you enjoy most. The menus for combos work seamlessly after only a short time of playing and honestly I find myself just joining online quests to kill majin buu tons of times because the combat is so entertaining. I'm not even after the awards, I just can't stop throwing destructo disks as a glowing, red, 4 ft tall girl. I'm like Krillin's alter ego, I'm so connected to the world!
- The mentor system, and other additional content. The mentor system is great so far, as mentioned I use Destructo disks, I earned this by choosing Krillin as my first mentor. Basically I went to Krillin and told him I chose him to mentor me, this starts a very long chain of quests that lead him to teaching me his signature moves and having me do certain missions. I've played a lot of the game and I'm only 70% through Krillins program, and there are a lot more heroes/villains I can be taught by after. This system plus all the additional characters you can make, the coop battles and missions, the team system, the tournaments etc. all make sure you more than get bang for every dollar you spend. (And honestly that's the main thing I look for in a game.)
- Good roster. Rosters are always debated in DBZ games, but this one feels complete. As mentioned before each hero has multiple variations giving them different abilities and a different look (you can even play Goku when he had Ginyu's body!) I've never felt like a key character was missing I wanted to play, but obviously everyone has different favorites.
- Difficulty and sense of power. This game will not just let you beat it. Several times I've had to go farm some gear in missions or level up in order to continue the story, it actually feels like an RPG in that regard. Though more importantly, this game has a strong and amazing sense of power. Level 1 you is much weaker than level 10 you. As you level a character you feel yourself getting much stronger, and my favorite thing is the game does not scale to you, it gets harder and you just need to try and keep up. This means doing old low missions allow you to just destroy everything, and doing higher missions provide a great challenge.
-Sound. The soundtrack, voices, background music of this game is fantastic for people that know DBZ. Everything fits very well and has made the experience better.

Con's to consider:
- Confusing start. I swear I ran around over 15 minutes when the game started trying to find the right quest givers, the game does not really tell you where to go at all in the beginning. This is annoying sense co-op and versus are locked until you finish the first couple quests, desperately running around with no quest markers and no listed objectives is enough to annoy a lot of people.
- Graphics. I love the way DBZ games look, but I understand this look can be a downside for people. This isn’t the best looking game on the system, or any current gen system. The cartoony style definitely won’t be in any tech demos, but it’s never interfered with my enjoyment of the game (and I actually care about graphics in games quite a bit.) But, if it wasn’t a style that I liked, I can see why there isn’t enough there objectively to impress anyone.
- Co-op limitations. Co-op is a lot of fun, you get rewards entirely based on performance, your performance also matters with regard to your mentoring quests, and this system works great! Unless you want to play split-screen. Split screen is versus only, not missions.

Overall this game has a lot of content, great customization, I feel like I can play however I want and I’m, addicted to gearing up and really feeling my character getting stronger. Co-op is fun, the story is great and incredibly well animated (feels like the show!) and I’d recommend the purchase to anyone considering this game.

The Order: 1886 - PlayStation 4
The Order: 1886 - PlayStation 4
Price: $31.95
116 used & new from $21.75

1.0 out of 5 stars An Unfortunate Mess, Pros and Cons on the Game, February 20, 2015
I find it a little hard to illustrate just how good or bad this game is, but I'll start off with the good. This game is not the worst on the market (all consoles considered), it is not completely broken, but on the other hand it is almost an embarrassment to video games in general.

Pro's:
You can beat it. You won't constantly fall through the world or face other game breaking bugs.
Even with FPS issues it can be occasionally pretty.

Con's:
The elephant in the room, this game will contain roughly 2.5-3 hours of game-play followed by the rest being cut scenes. I am not kidding when I state cut scenes can be 40 minutes long, straight.
The fighting is bland, cover > shoot, followed by tons of QTE's.
As has been mentioned, it's true that QTE sections are literally copy/pasted throughout the game. The same exact sequences, just copied. Not only are you doing QTE sequences during the small portion of gameplay this has, but they are the exact same ones at times.
No additional modes
0 replay value
No choices, on the rails experience with a poorly executed story with no exploring.

Go out, rent this game for a couple buck, then when you finish it in a couple hours you will likely still feel ripped off. A lot of people were hoping this game would be good and you'll see them fighting to defend their purchase, they don't want to admit it really is as bad as it is. But do yourself a favor and save your money, rent it. The game can be completed so quickly there is absolutely no downside to a rental.

(EDIT: Some things I had not mentioned or could not speak on before, AI in this game is unfortunately poorly designed, if it really has any design at all. Go through the game once and rarely die and you might not notice it, but enemies act the exact same way, in the exact same patterns every time. If you just don't kill an enemy you can watch them walk back and forth the same way repeatedly.

Finishing the game takes roughly 5-6 hours, but to update on full clear time, you can platinum the game (every trophy) in 7-8 hours. So if you would like to add a couple hours of play time that is a way to, but the game is not replayable. No alternate choices, enemies are identical and cutscenes will be unskippable.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2015 9:58 PM PST

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor Expansion - PC/Mac
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor Expansion - PC/Mac
Offered by goHastings
Price: $48.47
58 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Impressive., November 16, 2014
I've played WoW since beta and have been growing tired of it for a while now, that is until I played WoD. This expansion really leaves players with an understanding of just what Blizzard has been up to all of this time. Quests are different than ever before, leveling is much more fluid and enjoyable, Garrisons are completely built into the leveling, raiding and PvP aspects of the game and there are even outposts (mini bases in every zone where you choose certain unique perks) that I didn't know about.

I hit 100 and started doing the dungeons and first of all they are beautifully well done. The art and the music in all of the zones as well as the dungeons is incredible, as well as actually including voice acting! Regular dungeons at level 100 can be difficult... yes. I said regular dungeons, not even heroics. They all have actual mechanics that us under geared 100's can't simply ignore, and heroic versions are even more fun. Also, just as quests have been updated with optional requirements that reward you for doing more, regular dungeons have optional bosses and events as well.

For PvP there are battlegrounds, but also an entirely new zone Ashran. This zone is unlike anything before it (certainly not the same type of zone as Wintergrasp). It's a constantly on-going battle with bonus objectives popping up all over the place, rares, mini-bosses and objectives that give your team buffs and even recruit NPCs to help you. I spent two hours today recruiting Ogres and controlling the enemy teams actual base just enjoying myself, I wasn't even paying attention to the honor gains. That's another thing, you receive medals in PvP now. From Bronze-Gold, in battlegrounds depending on your teams performance you get bronze-gold boxes that have a chance of containing gear. This means that instead of just mindlessly farming points, each BG you know there is a chance you can get something and there is always incentive to try harder even if you won't win.

All of this isn't even mentioning what garrisons actually do for PvE and PvP. Depending on which you like you can have buildings that allow you to loot enemy players and get PvP quests, earn extra bonus rolls in PvP, etc. It's all connected and just as addicting as WoW used to be. Characters are more fun to play now that they have all been updated, the game looks better than ever and I've only been 100 for a few days and I could go on and on about all the brand new features I love playing with.

Is it still WoW? Yes. Is it just another expansion? Absolutely not.

The Last of Us Remastered - PlayStation 4
The Last of Us Remastered - PlayStation 4
Price: $37.99
100 used & new from $22.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Was it worth it this time around?, July 29, 2014
The Last of Us is impeccably crafted and overall a well done game. It's called anything from a masterpiece to the greatest game people have played, but this is the remaster, so I'm going to focus on how worth it it is to pick up for a first, as well as a second play through.

If you have never played this game before, buy it. This game will give you more hours and higher quality gameplay than almost any other for the cost. The replay value, multiplayer, free DLC and difficulty are enough to warrant the purchase, but if you already owned it on PS3...

Buy it again. In order to see why this game is worth picking up a second time, let's look at what "Remastered" actually means. 49 dollars gets you:

- 30 dollars worth of DLC bundled in free.
- Improved visuals, shadows, framerate (60 fps), textures, etc.
- Dualshock 4 integration. Audio logs can now be played via the controller instead of needing to stay in the menu, the light bar signals how low your health is, etc.
- FULL LENGTH making up documentary included.
- Directors commentary optional during cut scenes, includes other voice actors as well.
- Photo mode.
- Hardest difficulty mode that used to be DLC now included as well as being accessible for first play throughs.
- Advanced audio options finally.
-Multiplayer boost for Ps3 owners.

So for 49 dollars, you get 30 dollars worth of DLC, a full length documentary, a multiplayer boost, a new difficulty available instantly... and then after that you add on the remastered visuals and audio.

This game features new game plus, high difficulties, engaging and unique multiplayer, engaging and free DLC and now it comes packed with interested special features. All for less money than other games on the system. It's the best bang for your buck for the PS4, even for returning players. This isn't just a remaster, it's how all remasters should be done.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2014 7:47 PM PDT

The Wolf Among Us [Online Game Code]
The Wolf Among Us [Online Game Code]
Price: $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Two Steps Forward, No Steps Back, July 12, 2014
After playing through this game as well as The Walking Dead Season One and part of Season Two, I'm impressed with how well Telltale is able to handle interactive story telling. The problem with a medium such as this is that choices often feel hollow, there are only so many different routes a game developer can allow and be able to carry on the main story-line but Telltale finds a way to make choices feel significant and give the player payoff in the end.

Here lies the only flaw I found with the game, choices carry very little weight until much later in the game. In the end of Telltale's games you see a massive conversion of all decisions you have made, they effect how all characters respond to the conclusion and you are left with a detailed description of how your choices effected the game and its outcome. But it is disapointing choosing two completely different playstyles in the beginning and seeing every scene play out so similarly, often identically.

Past that though, the game is fantastic. The Wolf Among Us is more engaging than the Walking Dead Season One for better or worse, more constant dialogue, objects in the environment and plenty of QTE's which I find to suite this genre well. The interface that handles all of these things looks fantastic as well and blends into the comic-book art design the rest of the environment has.

With this game you get an interactive story with a great payoff. The ending will leave you wondering how things could have played out differently, the story is well done and certainly worth the ride and the game is beautiful. The only thing that could irk some is the grind, feeling like none of your choices matter until too far into the game where they already feel bored.

All in all, a 9/10 and a solid recommend. If you find it on sale and love story-driven adventures, buy it.

Wildstar Deluxe Edition [Online Game Code]
Wildstar Deluxe Edition [Online Game Code]
Price: $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My Worries Put to Rest, Finally Playing the Game, April 1, 2014
This is a game I came across only a short time ago and have since researched as much as I could. I was apprehensive at first, worried about how the combat looked and how the art style might grate on me, but then I played it. I got into the beta and tried it, I've experienced up to the end of March "surprise" beta, right before the new U.I launches.

The combat works well. In fact the gameplay works well as a whole, the way the movement works (double-jumps, rolling, sprinting even on mounts) with the action based combat I found fights (even against normal NPC's) fun. The movement and the combat is incredibly fluid and not at all slow or clunky, it's certainly different than FFIV/WoW/SWToR (the most recent MMO's I've played)

The first few levels felt a bit grindy, granted I didn't care because I was enjoying rolling and the combat system so much I tended to notice my quests were all completed and I was still mowing down lines of mobs I'd out leveled. But then I reached group content. PvP is fresh. Healing in PvP in this game is also the most fun I've had healing. For healing you can design how you play, it doesn't have to be a U.I. mini-game of clicking and casting.

You need to roll out of the way of player attacks, get the hang of sprinting and know how to aim your own spells. Even heals. You can design a healer around spells that need to be aimed as well, getting rid of that U.I. mini-game, or as I did you can pick spells that are more classic, involving targeting and group healing. DPS involves knowing how to aim, catching multiple people within the swing of your sword to hit all of them, and making sure they don't dash away from your cast as soon as it finishes.

Killing mobs was fun, quests were fantastic (multiple different types of quests: killing, collecting, turning on generators that require mini-games, connecting wires, all with unique mini-game interfaces instead of just right clicking) PvP was hectic and the game modes were unique. And then I reached the first layer of PvE group content. Group content in this game is hard, even at very low levels.

In the first adventure you choose your own adventure, literally voting on how each chapter of it will play out. Are you going to rescue to prison guards held hostage by the escaped inmates? Or do you leave them to die in order to reach the armory before the inmates? Bosses use the active combat system too, only their telegraphs are large, hit incredibly hard at times, and are constant. Even as a healer I couldn't stand still and not pay attention, and I found myself almost always out of focus (mana) because players weren't used to having to constantly avoid attacks, especially at level 15.

I could go on and on about the features I've seen, and I've only reached level 20. But the recurring theme is, the game isn't fully optimized yet, the slick new U.I. system isn't in, but the mechanics and gameplay are fantastic to play with. I found myself doing tasks beyond their completion point instead of desperately trying to grind through them, I found myself changing my abilities constantly to try new ones out and design completely different play styles, all before level 21. The game is fun, it's vision seems solid, and most of all -- The dev's are listening.

----------

It's been a while, open beta is over. The review could use an update.

Dungeons are fantastic.

I can't even segway into that, it just needs to be said. I mentioned earlier in the review how i found myself just mindlessly pulling and blowing up groups of mobs, even after quests had ended. I though the combat was fun then, the mechanics in this game are absolutely fantastic in group content. The very first dungeons at level 20 are the easiest in the game, yes, but that does not mean they are easy.

Trash mobs, bosses, events. Everything has been designed by the second, as the Dev's mentioned at Pax this "by the second" mentality means they make sure there is a mechanic going at all times, and fighting is always fun. Healers, tanks, everyone needs to be aware of what bosses and trash mobs are doing, even at level 20, or everyone will die. Dungeons also give rewards (medals) based on performance and how many challenges you are able to complete, as well as how quickly you can do them, coupled with your groups stats. Nothing is handed to anyone in this game, even at entry level.

Housing turned out to be spectacular. People have created entire skate parks to grand pianos made out of over 700 pieces. Only having access to entry level plugs in beta I made my one story into a two story house just buying 2x4's, it wasn't much, but the knowledge that I could literally get basic building parts and do whatever I wanted was just... fun. It made me excited.

PvP is fluid. I started playing and boy did I die. A lot. Blinded by colors and sucking at aiming completely described level 6 me. By level 10 I already had the hang of it, it isn't as complicated as it sometimes seems in videos, aiming in PvP is something that catches on pretty quick, and now tab targeting seems to simple for me to enjoy now that beta is over. The game is launching with two battlegrounds, the third is announced already as well as there being 40v40 Warplots (with perma loss!), arenas and world PvP.

This game was fun when I played beta in April, but it managed to get even better. Group content is fantastic, the game is beautiful, it's full of features and most of all it feels complete. It's rare to see a "complete" MMO. This game is launching with two raids, a fully implemented PvP system, full housing system as well as player/mount customization, reputation, crafting, 15 months of post-release content and monthly updates already set. They know what makes other games fail, they know what the problems other games have had, they've developed WildStar for almost 10 years now. It's amazing to see such a complete game and such a prepared team. I'm not worried about it falling off, I hope you aren't either.

Wildstar [Online Game Code]
Wildstar [Online Game Code]
Price: $19.99

----------

It's been a while, open beta is over. The review could use an update.

Dungeons are fantastic.

Replay
Replay
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is., February 14, 2014
This review is from: Replay (MP3 Music)
It's a great song. It's catchy and the artist is clearly talented. What's important is that it's fun to listen to, over and over at least a few times, so it's worth the price if you think you like it. It's clean as well, and has a great beat if you're into more dance oriented music. Overall a recommend.

Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods and Kings - PC
Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods and Kings - PC
Offered by Insane Web Deals
Price: $31.48
63 used & new from $9.84

5.0 out of 5 stars A Worthwhile Expansion., June 19, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Here we are at Civilization V's first expansion after only seeing smaller DLC packs since it's launch over a year ago. This expansion actually does what expansion packs are supposed to do, and that is add on content to keep the game fresh, fix bugs and gameplay issues and give you a reason to spend more money on a game you already have. And it does it quite well.

Civilization V Gods and Kings includes the addition of Religion as well as Espionage as we have seen in earlier instalments in the franchise, but does so in a completely new and innovative way that we have not yet seen. These additions included in this way allow you as the player to experience a copious amount of new content through two completely new major gameplay features, and while they seem familiar and are easy to learn they are fundamentally different than the earlier versions thus exciting and fresh. I won't go into anymore detail as they are listed on the page and I don't want to ruin any of the "exciting and fresh" but that is what I found them to be. But these two features dramatically change the game, and personally added a lot of much needed replayability to the "vanilla" version of the game.

There are several new leaders to be played all heads of their respective civilizations and with that all new leader bonuses and special units. This of course adds a lot more variety to the game (I.E. replayability) as well as variety in abilities and units that you or your opponents (or allies technically) have thus in turn possibly changing your strategy around. These new additions simply add base depth to the game, and fortunately allow a lot of players favorite Civ's/Leaders from previous games to make appearances. And of course some of the new leaders special traits involve bonuses in the new Religion/Faith system.

There were several new maps and scenarios added in this expansion pack, these features are also just added depth and variety. New artwork/Units/moves/abilities, ect. As well.

All in all this expansion pack does what it is supposed to do, or atleast what I had hoped it would do and that is expand on the game, adding new features as well as variety and making the game more enjoyable and most importantly more replayable. Civilization V Gods and Kings for its cost adds a lot of content and doesn't seem to break anything or have a downside game wise, so if you are wondering whether it's worth it as a long time Sid Meier fan as well as just a Civilization fan I find this expansion to be a welcome addition.

Original Civ V rating 4/5, a slight dissapointment considering the earlier instalments and not as enjoyable as the fourth game. Though it was pretty good considering other games on the market.
Civilization V with Gods and Kings 5/5, this expansion fills a lot of gameplay holes, adds a lot of variety and makes the game overall a more enjoyable experience. I find myself not simply running out of things to do to stay entertained with these new strategies and ways to go about the game.

If you enjoyed Civilization V, or feel you would have if it had a little more work done with it and had some expanded gameplay features then this product is definitely a recommendation.

Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods and Kings [Online Game Code]
Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods and Kings [Online Game Code]
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Worthwhile Expansion., June 19, 2012

Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2012 10:08 PM PDT