Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now Tikes
Profile for Terminal Salvation > Reviews

Terminal Salvation's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Terminal Salvation RSS Feed (Fairfax, VA USA)

Born to Heal: Unleashing the Supernatural Lifestyle Jesus Lives in You (Full Speed Impact) (Volume 2)
by Andy Hayner
Price: $13.62
9 used & new from $10.75

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this book a few days ago, and ..., November 5, 2015
I bought this book a few days ago, and am devouring it! Just a bit left to go. It's not too long (about 150 printed pages), but that's not the kind of material that I would read just for information. This has to drop through to the heart level, to become a way of thinking and living.

What sets this book apart is that any theology is explained in very simple terms, and as such is very accessible to a general reader, and is immediately applicable. The truths shared in this book are truly revolutionary, and despite its simple and accessible style represent a cumulative experience of hundreds and hundreds of people healed from all kinds of ailments, from headaches to cerebral palsy, with everything in between.

With that said, all of the explanations are solidly anchored in the Scriptures, and are all related to the person of Jesus Christ, who is the focal point of both the author's theology and experiences. This is a very important point to emphasize. It's really front and center in this book.

Individual healing experiences are never exalted at the expense of the New Covenant Scriptural truth. Instead, the two are brought into solid alignment.

Even though I am familiar with the subject matter in general, and I have the benefit of a lot of the experiences that Andy writes about, I found that the book opened up a lot of the truths from different angles, and I understood those truths in more accessible and simpler ways. For instance, his explanation of a proper method of Bible study from a vantage point of being a LEGO builder building a structure. (I am co-opting that one from now on.)

What's important is that Andy is speaking from experience, and not just from theory. For people new to divine healing, some of the testimonies may seem quite incredible. I know that feeling! Sometime after having learned the truths similar to the ones presented in this book, I started praying for the sick. One of the first people I prayed for got fully healed of arthritis, rotator cuff pain, and back pain in a matter of a few minutes. For about a couple of hours after that, my mind almost screamed that it was impossible. And that was even after I saw the healing with my own eyes (she could fully rotate her arm as opposed to lift it to shoulder level, and could bend her knees and back with no pain), and I was determined and motivated to see that lady healed.

Now, many months and many more healed people later, I've trained my mind to expect healing. But that takes time, and consistent application of the truths presented in the book.

Getting back to the book. Healing experiences are not exalted at the expense of a properly developed Christian identity and character. The author describes a born again believer's spiritual DNA, and encourages the reader to anchor self in Jesus Christ as a person, rather than anything else. The author takes care to differentiate between receiving healing and developing one's character in Christ, noting that both need to present.

From my reading experience so far (I've read most of the book), I see that Andy is balanced in his approach. In this book you won't just find the reasons for or against healing. You will find very practical and immediately applicable instructions on how to receive your own healing, and how to minister healing to the sick. From my own experience I can tell you that what he teaches you really does work.

In the interest of full disclosure: I don't know Andy personally, although sometime ago I found out about his ministry though searching the Internet for information on the subject matter, have listened to some of his messages on Youtube, and have signed up for his mailing list a few months back, which is how I found out about this book.

Cuisinart FlavorBrew 10-Cup Programmable Thermal Coffeemaker
Cuisinart FlavorBrew 10-Cup Programmable Thermal Coffeemaker

1.0 out of 5 stars Warm, strange flavor coffee - from Starbucks freshly ground beans, August 7, 2010
Warm coffee - doesn't bother me as much, although is it likewarm. Hard to pour - can live with that I guess. But the taste - strange, strange taste. At work we have cheap jumbo size Maxwell cans that get extracted by a commercial Bunn - wow, that coffee is thick, oily, and flavorful. Here, I have better beans, and coffee is thin, light, and dirty dishwater look and flavor. Costco sells this maker for $40, but it goes back.

I wanted to get Mr Coffee that I had before - with a showerhead dripper design, basket as opposed to cone, but the past 3-4 years they have had quality control issues. Back to the square one. I am not ready to shell out $100 for a Bunn yet.

PS How hard is to make a coffee maker that 1) makes a good cup of joe, 2) is reliable, 3) made by a company that stands behind their product (customer support, exchanges, etc.)? Is it too much to ask for?!

If the Church Were Christian: Rediscovering the Values of Jesus
If the Church Were Christian: Rediscovering the Values of Jesus
by Philip Gully
79 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars The author believes the Bible is not accurate ... What does he base his theology upon then?!, March 18, 2010
- The author states that he stopped believing stories from the Bible a while ago - my question, what does he believe? What his point of reference? What books / chapters / verses should I throw out of my Bible to match this particular author beliefs? I am just curious.
- The author doesn't believe in the divinity of Jesus. No salvation then huh? No God dying for man on the cross? Bummer.
- The author doesn't think God is as cruel so as to consign some humans to hell. I guess all those passages on hell in the Gospels are the part he doesn't believe. It would help to have a companion Bible to this book with all the discarded passages thrown out. Sort of like "Gospel according to what's his name".
- The author believes Jesus thought himself to be a teacher and - get this - maybe - just maybe - a prophet. I guess the passages where Jesus teaches is all right with the author, but where he says 'I AM' the way, the truth, the life, etc. is not.

After reading the intro and the first chapter, I was done. Clearly, we are not reading the same Bible. Do yourself a favor and read Reimagining Church by Frank Viola, So you don't want to go to church anymore by Jake Colson, or Free Book by Brian Tome if you want to find out a similar topic treated with a much better founded, thoughtful, proper full-Bible perspective.

I simply can't believe anyone would publish such incoherent drivel with maybe some insights, but with such a complete lack of proper academic and spiritual approach. He threw Jesus out with the bathwater.

I maybe don't give off much grace here, but at least you've got an honest review. Nothing personal against the author. I just don't think you won't get far with Jesus using his approach. Oh, and personal relationship with your Jesus as a Savior - oh I am sorry - a dead teacher? Yeah, pretty sad.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2011 7:59 PM PDT

Old Testament Hebrew Vocabulary Cards (The Zondervan Vocabulary Builder Series)
Old Testament Hebrew Vocabulary Cards (The Zondervan Vocabulary Builder Series)
by Miles V. Van Pelt
Edition: Cards
Price: $19.47
33 used & new from $14.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of vocabulary cards, July 28, 2005
I just saw them at a store the other day, these are great - thick cards, nice black uniform print, standard size, keyed to 3 most popular grammars, and also arranged by order of frequency. I am getting Van Pelts cards ASAP, and will write a review once I use them for a few days. Amazon carries another set of Hebrew vocabulary cards by Raymond Dillard - those are plain awful, see my review.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2010 7:23 PM PDT

Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary Cards
Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary Cards
by Raymond B. Dillard
40 used & new from $12.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible paper and print quality - barely usable, July 28, 2005
Well, I should say that when I opened the card box and looked at a few cards I was very suprised. And here's why.

These cards are printed on a cheap, thin paper that's just a little bit thicker than a normal printer paper. To top that, ALL the Hebrew letters are handwritten, and relatively sloppily at that!! And it's very far from handwritten Hebrew scroll quality, these are quick and dirty. How is that possible?!! Don't they have a word processor? As the result, the same letters in the same word look different from one another. The print is quite smudgy, the black ink in each letter has areas that are lighter or darker.

In addition, vowel signs are also handwritten - and again, the same vowels look different from one another. Even the letters baseline within the same word is crooked. It's very difficult for visual memorization when the same characters look that different.

Each card contains not just the word but other words that share the same root. These additional entries are even smaller than the main entry, and looking very non-uniform - they are quite difficult to process and memorize. Especially if you are a visual memorizer. Plus, the vowel signs are even smaller, and very non-uniform.

With paper being so thin, cards stick to one another, and it's a little difficult to peel the top one off to move to the next one. The size is also smaller than the usual business card-sized cards. The length is the same, but the height is about 2/3 of the standard. As the result, they fit too loosely in a standard container (if you want to take several at a time with you).

I can't believe that such a poor quality product can be sold at any bookstore.

Fortunately, Amazon carries Van Pelt's Biblical Hebrew cards - I just saw them at a store the other day, these are great - thick cards, nice black uniform print, standard size, keyed to 3 most popular grammars, and also arranged by order of frequency. I am getting Van Pelts cards ASAP, and will write a review once I use them for a few days.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 2, 2015 11:52 AM PST

The Gays Among Us:A Study of Homosexuality In Men & Women
The Gays Among Us:A Study of Homosexuality In Men & Women
by Magee Bryan
12 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Right on, June 30, 2005
Well, I for one believe that this book is right on the money. Yes, the book is 50 years old, but then again there are some texts that are 1500 to 4000 years old have a lot of interesting things to say on the subject. Please don't confuse the political correctness with the truth. Thank God back in 1950s the kind of stuff written in the book was PC.

Homosexuality IS a state of human psyche, and a condition of human spirit. The body is merely a tool of its expression.

The Macarthur Study Bible ~ New King James Version (NKJV)
The Macarthur Study Bible ~ New King James Version (NKJV)
by John MacArthur
67 used & new from $5.15

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, June 30, 2005
The review below is how I feel about this product, and I apologize to those who may feel offended by any of my views. All this is is my opinion, nothing more.

This study Bible exemplifies very poor exegesis, and in my opinion almost entirely driven by one person's desire to validate a lot of his own personal beliefs. The examples are too many to discuss, just look over some of the pages here on Amazon. I am very surprised that this has got that many positive reviews. There's a phenomenon when the audience buys a literary / art / film product if it reinforces their already existing beliefs. The product is bought mostly because people find deep satisfaction in having their existing beliefs revalidated from yet another source. Passion of the Christ's box office stands as a great example of this phenomenon.

Anyway, moving on. The notes for the Gospels and the Acts are marked with an unbelief in God's power for today. I don't belong to any denomination, yet to me believing that God's power ended 2000 years ago borders on REAL heresy. So now God is powerless except for soul salvation which will materialize upon one's physical death, is that it? What about this life? Sounds a lot like the communists telling people that they have to work their tails off for the glory of the Communist Party and live like animals in this life, so that their children's children live to see the real communism. I thought God's kingdom starts right now, in one's heart, and not only when one's physical body dies.

It's almost like the author tries to validate their own powerless Christianity with this, just like I see other dispensationalists do. Albeit this author is much more militant about his beliefs, as compared to others in his camp.

When I looked deeper into Mr. MacArthur's ministry, I can't believe that Mr. MacArthur spends that much time battling fellow Christians that don't believe the same way he does, when instead Jesus called for unity of all who believe in Him. And I thought that if we battle something, we are to battle not flesh and blood, but spiritual powers of wickedness.

I am just pondering, How can I trust someone who professes Jesus as the Christ, yet spends so much time attacking his brothers in Christ so viciously? Why destroy, why not spend that time building instead? Another MacArthur, another witchhunt, so sad ...

"Let not many of you be teachers ..." comes to mind. I don't doubt the authors sincerity. But however much talent a teacher has, what good is it if their attitude toward brothers and sisters in Christ is imbued with venom, and a large portion of their teaching is plain flawed?! You can't adopt the author's mindset if you want to ask God "God, what are you really like? I put my preconceived ideas about you at your feet. Reveal yourself to me. If I have to change my beliefs as your revelation comes - I will do that." What I feel to be Mr MacArthur's motto is "God, I believe this and this about you. Now, am I right or am I right?"
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2014 9:20 AM PST

A History of Russia
A History of Russia
by Mark D. Steinberg
62 used & new from $0.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid history textbook - 4.5 stars, July 6, 2004
This review is from: A History of Russia (Hardcover)
I couldn't help but address the comments of the reader that gave this work 1 star. It's interesting that he cites the territories annexed by Russia as Chinese / Japanese / etc. Where do you think Japan / China / etc. got those territories? Did he ever stop to think that at one point in time Japan, China, and any other country didn't have statehood, and the latter is always achieved through a painful process of unification by both doplomatic and military means? If same logic of denying a country its legitimacy based on forceful means of expansion is used consistently, then our great country of the USA should also be considered an illegitimate occupant of native American lands. Please let us adhere to commonly accepted methods of historical research and exposition, instead of expressing one's ill attitude toward a country using flawed reasoning.
The book at hand does indeed present a comprehensive coverage of Russian history, albeit in a somewhat dry fashion. Do not expect to finish this book and be left with crisp and colorful images of Russia's history. But what you can expect is a comprehensive coverage of every period of Russian history, complete with dates, names, and places. After a once-over, this book can be used as a reference, or a refresher on a particular timeframe in the history of the country. I am still looking for a more captivating work on Russian history, so anyone knows of any - please recommend.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2011 2:04 PM PDT

Releasing the Ability of God Through Prayer
Releasing the Ability of God Through Prayer
by Charles Capps
56 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Explains the Bible as our operating manual, June 18, 2003
I would like to say first of all that there's a widespread tendency in Christian circles to include the words "if it be your will" in every prayer. Well, that does a couple of things here. First, it sort of absolves the pray-ER of the responsibility to search through meditate on the Scriptures to find out God's will for him/herself, and second, it makes any kind of effective faith impossible.
When Jesus said "not my will, but Yours be done" - He knew his Father's will, and he proclaimed that it be done. We need to do the same. If I tell my kid "we'll go to the park tomorrow, if it's my will" - he'll ask - "well, what's your will then on this one, Dad?!". See - how can he believe my promise (it can't really be called a promise) if he doesn't know my will?! A good thing about God's will is that it's made clear in the Bible, and He doesn't change his mind.
So, find out His will, and ask ("Whatsoever you shall ask [the Father] in my Name" - yes, we are to ask the Father, Jesus is the mediator of our covenant with God (our covenant is with God the Father - Jehovah, just like Abraham's covenant was with Jehovah, except Jehovah wasn't revealed as the Father at Abraham's time). The office of the covenant Mediator is Jesus's divinely appointed office - so if we were to ask Jesus Himself and not direct the prayer to the Father, how can He mediate if we cut out God the Father out of the equation?! So - after we ask, we are to walk by faith, not by sight (believe that you receive it, and you shall have it - i.e., receive it by faith first, before it's manifest).
If anyone terms such scriptural approach "name it and claim it" - fine, but that's how it works, just kep in mind that naming has to be done when you know the will of God (at the very least, you need to know that He can't and won't grant answers to prayers that promote sin or use sin as a means to an end (a classic example - if you fell in love with one's wife and want to marry her by breaking her already existing marriage, or if you ask God to help you get into a school after you have knowingly falsified information on your school application that has a direct bearing on the acceptance decision), and that Jesus came to give us life, and give it MORE ABUNDANTLY, and "you don't have because you ask not" - some incorrectly call such asking "twisting God's arm" - please don't be offended, but it's God's intent that we ask before He does anything for us) - and remember, He is a Healer and a Provider (there's some of His will revealed in these names of God). After that, claim it as yours! (ask, and ye shall receive - well, you asked, God's word says that you SHALL receive (not MIGHT receive), so it's as good as done (no word shall return to Me void, but will accomplish the purpose for which it was send). Remember - by the fruit of your lips shall you be satisfied.
If something doesn't work right away - search the scriptures, read more literature such as the book under review, talk to the right Christians who rightly divide the Word, and keep trying - and you batting average will be better that any baseball star! After all, learning to walk in the spiritual realm is not unlike learning to walk in the physical world as a child - the more you do it, the better you get, and after a while, you practically never fall down!
Sorry I didn't logically organize my argument, but I think you catch the main drift. Please read John chapters 14, 15, 16 and Hebrews if you want to see for yourself where my argument is grounded. Also, this discussion gives you a glimpse of what the book talks about. For those who are just entering into this new realm of the understanding, it might be helpful to read first E.W. Kenyon's "Basic Bible course", and "Father and His Family" to help put your Bible knowledge into a system, and then proceed to Mr. Capps's works for more day-to-day applications.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2011 8:04 AM PDT