Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Phredd > Reviews

Browse

Phredd's Profile

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Phredd RSS Feed (Nashua, NH United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Panasonic DMC-GF6KK 16MP Mirrorless Mirrorless Digital Camera with Lens Kit
Panasonic DMC-GF6KK 16MP Mirrorless Mirrorless Digital Camera with Lens Kit
Offered by RitzCamera
Price: $459.99
9 used & new from $362.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost SLR - at half the size (improved), August 30, 2013
I originally wrote the review below for the GF5. The GF6 has everything I wanted in the GF5 and then some. The three things about the GF5 that bugged me most were the pressure-sensitive touch screen, lack of a zoom lever and not enough function buttons. Well, they did change the touch screen to capacitive and it is now so much more responsive. It's less sensitive to fingerprints since you don't have to push. They even (slightly) increased the screen resolution and made it a tilt screen, though it does add a little (maybe 1/8") more depth. They also added another function button, which I set to DOF preview instead of WiFi. And they added the zoom lever around the shutter button. On the GF5, you have to use the zoom lever on the lens barrel.

But they didn't stop there. They added WiFi which I use for transferring photos while away from home and for remote control on my iPhone. It's awesome! They also added a physical mode dial, which is nice, but if they could only add one dial, I would have preferred a dial for ISO which I change more than mode. Overall, this was a great upgrade. I have everything I want now so I won't need the GF7 when that comes out next year. :)

There may be more features (oh yeah 16 MP) that didn't catch my attention, but these were the upgrades that I found important and enough of a reason for me to sell my GF5 and buy the GF6.

----- my review of the GF5 -----

I gave up my SLR a few years ago and have since been carrying high end compacts - all Canon. This is my first mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. I'm so impressed with the quality, creative control and lens selection. And what used to take a backpack, I can now carry in a small bag. In fact, I can just barely stuff the camera with the included 12-42 retractable lens in my pocket. It's bulky, but can be done.

What you don't get is an optical viewfinder, full physical shutter or control dials for recording mode and ISO. But you can still access these controls, and much more, very easily on the beautiful high resolution touch screen. You do get a 4-way controller with outer dial for setting exposure compensation, focus mode, white balance and shooting mode. In most cases the LCD is more convenient than a viewfinder anyway. And I doubt the shutter will matter to most people either. You can customize the touch screen for easy access to your top ten controls with the Quick Menu that you bring up either with a button or on the touch screen. You can also set the Fn1 button for AEL, DOF preview or any of a number of controls. There are also two customizable touch screen buttons as well as touch focusing.

This lens and some others have a power zoom which is great for video. And the autofocus is incredibly fast! I also bought the 45-175 lens with power zoom and that is also very tiny (at least compared to an SLR lens). Can't pocket the camera with that lens, but it is still proportionally compact.

There is no compromise on the creative control with this camera and the touch screen is simple and convenient. With fast autofocus and sharp, high quality images and many great lenses, this is a great camera!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2013 8:31 AM PDT

The Four Seasons
The Four Seasons
Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $13.49
125 used & new from $0.22

4.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION: Live performance, July 21, 2013
This review is from: The Four Seasons (Audio CD)
This is the best rendition with the best musicians ... but the applause is so distracting that it spoils the mood. I didn't notice it was a live performance before I bought it and wouldn't mind so much if it was just at the very end. I did my best to edit the applause in Garage Band, but it starts before the music ends -- after each season, so the results are not great. Just know before you buy.

UPDATE - I listened to a number of others and I actually think Anne Sophie Mutter's rendition is more enjoyable. She's excellent and it's a studio recording, so no applause, though she certainly deserves it. I like her's best now as having good energy and just the right amount in just the right places.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2013 8:33 PM PDT

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5XK Live MOS Micro 4/3 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 3-Inch Touch Screen and 14-42 Power Zoom Lens (Black)
Offered by otto99
Price: $599.99
9 used & new from $299.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost SLR - at half the size, August 28, 2012

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2013 2:20 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great extra burner!, August 14, 2012
Very reliable. Nice even flame. And it comes it a convenient storage/travel box. I keep it for emergencies and sharing the work when the stove is busy, but it's also small enough to use for car camping.

Luminox A.LWAC.B Stainless Steel Alarm Clock
Luminox A.LWAC.B Stainless Steel Alarm Clock

5.0 out of 5 stars A.W.E.S.O.M.E Travel Alarm Clock, July 20, 2012
I tried the Victorinox limited edition clocks as well as the Wenger pocket watch, both of which have soft and short alarms. This is plenty loud and it beeps faster and faster and never stops until you turn it off. And that's not even the best part. This clock is the only one that is very easy to read the time in the dark. The luminous hands and markers are tritium vials that always glow rather than glow paint that requires light to "charge" it temporarily.

The clock is very solid, but not too heavy and very sturdy standing up. It is large enough for a travel clock with some extra bulk from the case; still compact enough for traveling. This was clearly not designed for a pocket, which may be the only downside for some people, but I'm glad they didn't compromise since the size makes it ideal as a travel clock.

Victorinox Swiss Army 241461 Alarm 2010 Silver Dial Pocket Watch
Victorinox Swiss Army 241461 Alarm 2010 Silver Dial Pocket Watch
Offered by The Watch Locker
Price: $179.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Exotic design, but not the most practical, July 20, 2012
This clock is very, very well made. The design and mechanism are impressive. The face is more elegant than sporty compared to the Wenger pocket alarm clock. The alarm is louder than the Wenger pocket clock, but still not very loud and it automatically stops beeping after about 20 seconds, making this less useful as a travel alarm. It's also not very practical as a pocket watch since it is very heavy (for a watch) and takes two hands to open easily.

Since this has been discounted to $220 from the original $550, my guess is it hasn't sold well, making it unlikely they'll make more. So, this is your opportunity if you want to own a good and unusually designed travel clock.

Victorinox Swiss Army Travel Alarm 1884 Limited Edition, Watch 241395
Victorinox Swiss Army Travel Alarm 1884 Limited Edition, Watch 241395

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool design and very well made, but not very practical, July 20, 2012
This clock is very, very well made. The design and mechanism are impressive. The colors are a matter of taste, which I happen to like, but the deep red makes it difficult to read the time in low light. The luminous hands and markers are not very bright unless you first expose the clock to a VERY bright light, but then the glow does not last very long anyway. The alarm is louder than the Wenger pocket clock, but still not very loud and it automatically stops beeping after about 20 seconds, making this less useful as a travel alarm. It's also not very practical as a pocket watch since it is very heavy (for a watch) and takes two hands to open easily.

If you like gadgets, especially exotic ones, you'll really appreciate this clock, especially this 1884 edition which includes the classic toothpick and tweezers. I was tempted to keep this since it is more nostalgic than the 2010 edition, but 2010 edition with the silver face is easier to read the time in low light.

Dakota Orange Angler II Clip
Dakota Orange Angler II Clip

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice clock, mediocre alarm, poor light, July 20, 2012
This clip-on clock is very substantial and has plenty of features. The flashlight is a red flood LED, which is good for night vision, but wouldn't be my first choice for a carry light. The compass and thermometer seem to work okay, but I didn't take the time to see how accurate they are. I really wanted this for a travel alarm and that's where this fails for two reasons. First, the light only illuminates the digital display; the display is tiny and the light is not a backlight, so it is very difficult to read the time in the dark. Second, the alarm is quiet and brief. If the alarm and night viewing are not important, this is a very nice clock/multitool. I sent mine back.

Olympus  TG-310  Tough 14.0 MP Digital Camera with 3.6x Wide Optical Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD, (Blue) (Old Model)
Olympus TG-310 Tough 14.0 MP Digital Camera with 3.6x Wide Optical Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD, (Blue) (Old Model)
Offered by caromscore
Price: $249.00
9 used & new from $55.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value / Good Pictures, May 1, 2012
I bought this after the new model was released, so I'm reviewing this as a $129 camera. At this price it is a great value for a waterproof camera. With good light, the pictures are really very good. With low light the pictures are still decent though noise is noticeable. It is easy to use, though with the small lens, even the tiniest drop of water will ruin the picture, so you must keep wiping the water. Most of these waterproof point-and-shoot cameras would probably share this problem. Yet it's a lot easier to wipe off the water than it is to keep a waterproof case on better camera from fogging. And at $129, it's about half the cost of a waterproof case on a really good camera.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool / Very Very Difficult To Open, May 1, 2012
The tools are well made and it looks great. It makes the Swiss knives look like toys. BUT, to be useful the tools need to open and these tools WILL break your fingernails. That part of the design is very poor. I brought this up with Leatherman - I even got a call from Tim - Mr. Leatherman himself - and they sent two replacements but BOTH were just as bad as the first. Since they've made so many great models, including the Squirt and Micra which open easily, it's really shocking they got this so wrong. I hope they eventually get this right, because it really is a great design.

Page: 1 | 2