Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Periphery Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for A Gamer at Heart > Reviews

Browse

A Gamer at Heart's Profile

Customer Reviews: 755

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A Gamer at Heart RSS Feed (Agoura Hills, CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Cibola Burn (The Expanse Book 4)
Cibola Burn (The Expanse Book 4)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Continuation of the Series, July 26, 2016
I didn't think this was the strongest book in the series, but the author still tells a good story and continues his immense world-building skills. If you've read the prior three books and liked them, I expect you will like this one as well. I knew going in that some consider this the weakest in the series thus far, but that may not be much of a knock given the outstanding quality of the earlier books. I knew I would read it if anything so I could get to the next book in the series, and eventually the new release coming this November 2016.

If you have come this far, it is definitely worth a read.

Panasonic ES-LT3N-K Arc3 3-Blade Electric Shaver with Built-In Pop-up Trimmer, Active Shave Sensor Technology and Wet Dry Operation

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Shaver, July 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have gone through so many electric razors over the years, but I can say this is the best one I have shaved with. Ergonomically, it feels really good in my hand. It is well-balanced and the grip feels just right. It just has that professional feel to it. It displays the time remaining on the battery which is great because I hate when a razor taps out mid-shave, or when I am in a rush in the morning. It also gives the closet shave I have ever received from an electric razor. It is not quite as close as a blade, but it is so close that I may be imagining there even is a difference.

I love the wet/dry ability, but more for ease of cleaning than the ability to shave in the shower. Rinsing out whiskers is 100 times better than shaking out or brushing out a non wet/dry electric razor.

This is obviously more expensive than a budget electric razor, but in my opinion the increased cost is justified. The high speed of this razor just cuts faster and closer than anything else I have tried. Combine that with the wet or dry ability, and it is well worth the money.

The Expanse, Season 1
The Expanse, Season 1
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Adaptation Despite Miscasting Most of the Characters, July 24, 2016
Tough book series to adapt to TV but SyFy does a good job covering the broad strokes of the books. I was a bit disappointed that rather than casting actors who are consistent with their physical descriptions in the books, they instead chose much younger, hotter actors. Amos is described in the books as a large middle-aged man, with a big pot belly and a bald head, resembling a very large, scary looking baby. The blond haired, blue eyed GQ model cast as Amos is not even close, although he is a very solid actor. Fan favorite Bobbi Draper will appear in season 2. In the books, she is an abnormally large, Samoan woman who kicks serious ass. The woman they cast as Bobbi for season 2 is of course, a young hot model. I love the books, and although I did like season one of this series, I feel this stereotypical casting does a disservice to fans and viewers. It's as if the SyFy channel thinks we can't like a show without pretty people.

That rant aside, the TV Holden is pretty good, and Thomas Jane hits Miller out of the park. I am more forgiving of Jane as Miller because Belters in the books are so specific in their appearance and people just don't look like that. The space battles are amazing and it's nice to see some quality material come out from SyFy again. After BSG, they kinda fell into a low-budget abyss.

Mr. Coffee BVMC-SC100 Single K-Cup Brewing System with Reusable Grounds Filter, 10 oz, Silver
Price: $59.99
5 used & new from $59.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Good K-Cup Single Serving System, but Could Be a Bit Larger and Hotter, July 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As far as K-cup brewing systems go, this is a good brewer. I really like that it comes with a reusable filter because I sometimes feel wasteful when using plastic K-cups. I also really like single serve coffee makers in general for office use because I don't have to worry about wasting a full pot when I just want a single cup.

You add water in the back, it heats up, then is pressure forced through the K-cup into your coffee cup. A detachable container holds the individual K-cups. It slides out, you insert the K-cup, then it slides back in. This is both convenient and inconvenient. A detachable container makes it easy to clean the whole unit, but the need to remove it to insert the K-cup is also a bit inconvenient because it is not as hands-free as a standard K-cup system where you open the top, insert the K-cup, and close it. This unit takes two hands to remove the unit and insert the new K-cup.

I like that there is a removable drip tray on the bottom of the unit. If you look at the picture here on Amazon, I'm talking about the piece the coffee cup is sitting on. That has slits that will catch any overflow or spills. This is removable not just for draining it as needed, but to also accommodate full size travel mugs. Since 10 oz is the maximum water limit for the reservoir, which must be refilled for every use, I don't see the benefit of using a larger travel mug unless you run more than one K-cup (after refilling the water) to fill it up. 10 oz is the perfect amount for a standard coffee mug. If, however, you like a larger coffee or travel mug, 10 ounces might only fill it half way.

If you like K-cups, and have a need for a single serve model, this is a nice unit. I would prefer a larger water reservoir, and would like the coffee to come up just a tad hotter, but overall this is a good K-cup unit.

Green Room
Green Room
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very unusual and atmospheric movie, July 18, 2016
This review is from: Green Room (Amazon Video)
Great performances all around. I particularly enjoyed Anton Yelchin (who died tragically earlier this year), Joe Cole (John Shelby from Peaky Blinders) and of course, Patrick Stewart.

This is a thriller that revolves around a punk band who take a last minute gig at a club in a remote area. Things go wrong and a tense plot begins to unfold. I liked this because it was not a paint by the numbers movie with a plot I have seen a million times before. It is very violent and gory at times, so be warned. But the solid acting and decent story really makes the movie.

AVEX FreeFlow Autoseal Water Bottle, Orange, 700ml/24 oz
AVEX FreeFlow Autoseal Water Bottle, Orange, 700ml/24 oz
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, Awesome Autoseal Feature, July 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my second AVEX water bottle. It is very well-constructed,and I really like the push-button opener that keeps it sealed, no matter what, until you push it to drink. I fill mine with cold water in the morning and it keeps the water cool pretty much all day. I like the stainless steel interior because I prefer to not drink from plastic whenever possible.

This is a bit more expensive than some other water bottles, but these are well constructed and last for a long time. I've had my first one for a few years now. You might save a few bucks with a cheaper one but I doubt it will last as long as this one.

Zinus Memory Foam 10 Inch Green Tea Mattress, Full
Zinus Memory Foam 10 Inch Green Tea Mattress, Full
Price: $229.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfortable, Easy set-up, July 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very comfortable, easy to set up foam memory mattress. It ships rolled up and compressed into a larger bag as if it were an overstuffed sleeping bag. You take it out of its packaging, remove the shrink wrap that compresses the memory foam, and then extended on your mattress support system. The mattress itself is very light, and is easily moved around by anyone with even a minimal of upper body strength. Although you are supposed to wait around 24 to 48 hours to sleep on it, our experience was that it was expanded well enough to sleep on after just a few hours. It is indeed very comfortable and is a great alternative to a traditional mattress. If you've never slept on a memory foam mattress before, just know that its contours around your body which is what makes it so comfortable. If you have back problems, however, and require a firmer support system, you may want to stick with a traditional mattress.

Das Keyboard Division Zero X40 Pro Gaming Soft Tactile Yellow Mechanical Keyboard (DKDIVZX40SFT)
Price: $129.00
3 used & new from $112.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Board from a Reliable Brand, July 4, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Das Keyboard is a Texas-based company that designs professional use mechanical keyboards. The X40 is their first mechanical keyboard for the gaming market.

My board uses alpha-zulu keys, which are closet to Cherry MX browns although they are much less “clicky” than the browns on my Cooler Master mechanical keyboard. They are designed to be tactile and allow a partial keypress before fully activating so in theory you can ready a key in advance, with only a minimal further keypress necessary to actually activate the key. I never had, nor ever will have, the fine motor skills needed to utilize this, but I did test it while typing and it works.

The board is fully backlit, although there is no per-key backlighting – it’s the whole board or none. And it’s only one color – red, although the brightness can be adjusted or turned off completely if you prefer no backlighting. This isn’t an issue for me because I don’t need a rotating lightshow when I'm gaming, and I like red, although per-key individual backlighting at this price would have been nice. There is, however, a USB 2.0 port, and audio pass-through ports if you prefer to connect your headset or speakers to the keyboard instead of directly to your computer. I use these ports more than I thought I would. I have a gaming mouse that I only connect when gaming, so it is convenient to just plug it into the DaS keyboard when I game. It is also convenient to plug my external speakers into the Das when I prefer external sound to my permanently connected gaming headset.

In terms of build quality, this thing is a beast. It is sturdily built, weighing 3.6 pounds. Most of that weight is from the aluminum plate that is bolted to the top. The keyboard itself is plastic. The top plate is removable and can be replaced with other designs sold by Das. The wrench to remove the plate is included, as is a key puller.

There are 5 dedicated macro keys on the left side of the board. You can record macros on the keys without installing any software. The board works just fine without downloading any drivers, although I downloaded the driver package from the Das website because doing so allows for the creation of more complex macros, remapping of keys, and setting up profiles. I like that Das allows the customer to decide whether or not to download drivers or not while still offering full functionality if drivers are not preferred. I have specifically avoided Razer products for not offering this choice and for requiring registration in the cloud before being allowed to even download drivers.

I’ve been pretty happy gaming on this board, although for straight typing, I definitely prefer the relative crispness of my cherry MX brown mechanical keyboard. The Das alpha-zulu keys are great, but their tactile feedback is just not as crisp as I would like. I do like the ability to create macros, and appreciate the lighting and build quality of the board.

This Das is priced close to the middle of the mechanical keyboard market. There are more expensive boards with less functionality, but there are also similarly priced alternatives that offer more customization than the X40. For instance, my other board (a Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid) is around $90. But it lacks a number keypad, has no back lighting, and it does not have macro keys like the Das.

If you are willing to spend more than $100 for a mechanical keyboard, however, chances are you know what features are important to you and will carefully analyze the alternatives before buying. In any event, this is a quality mechanical keyboard from a trusted brand.

TERRO T300-2  2-Pack Liquid Ant Baits
TERRO T300-2 2-Pack Liquid Ant Baits
Offered by Wesson Hardware
Price: $14.75
19 used & new from $11.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've Tried, July 3, 2016
When it gets hot, I get ants in my kitchen. Last week I had the largest infestation yet. I went to my local hardware store and bought these. The packaging said it might take a few weeks. I laid out the traps amongst the ants and they swarmed it like crazy. Within 24 hours most of the ants had already disappeared, having taking the deadly bait back to their underground burroughs. I have never had an ant killer work so fast and effectively. I am truly amazed.

Remember
Remember
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, thought provoking, heavy with stunning performances - not your typical fluff., June 26, 2016
This review is from: Remember (Amazon Video)
I really enjoyed this movie. What a pleasure to watch Christopher Plummer. For some reason, this felt very Hitchcockesque to me, with fascinating twists and turns. I was riveted from start to the shocking end. Also, a fantastic performance by several other actors including Martin Landau, and a spectacular scene stealing performance by Dean Norris. Very thought provoking and well worth watching. Not a light movie - do not watch if you are looking for fluff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20