Profile for Sharptiger Rocker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sharptiger Rocker RSS Feed (Ohio, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Fighting [2 CD Deluxe Edition]
Fighting [2 CD Deluxe Edition]
Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $23.19
58 used & new from $10.53

5.0 out of 5 stars The Deluxe Edition is truly "Deluxe", June 24, 2015
I just received the "Fighting Deluxe Edition" and have to say, it is well worth the price. Any rock fan should have this in their collection. I'm looking forward to getting the Deluxe editions of the other albums in the Lizzy catalogue. The bonus disc, unlike many other extended editions being put out these days, is fantastic. In fact, it makes you wonder why some of these songs were left off the original album back in 1975! Highly recommended.

Conspiracy of Stars
Conspiracy of Stars
Price: $15.11
24 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best of The Vinnie Moore Era (and Then Some), April 9, 2015
This review is from: Conspiracy of Stars (Audio CD)
This is perhaps UFO's best album since "The Wild, the Willing and the Innocent" from 1981. I feel that it is far superior to the previous Vinnie Moore era albums in terms of both songwriting and production.

The only reason I give it 4 stars, not 5, is due to the fact that Phil Mogg's voice is fading with age just a bit. Don't get me wrong, he still sounds great. As a UFO fan for over 35 years, I sense a minimal decline in his delivery. If you are a new or casual fan of UFO you won't notice anything except a very talented rock vocalist. Considering the fact that he's old enough to get senior citizens' discounts, his performance is noteworthy.

The rest of the band are in top form. I think Vinnie Moore's guitar work on this recording is especially tasty. None of the tracks are fillers and after a few listens I guarantee that even the songs you weren't sure about on your first listen will begin to grow on you. There's a nice mixture of blues and rock with just a hint of pop sensibility (though certainly none of these songs will ever get radio air play; that would make too much sense).

The best track IMHO is Run Boy Run. It just has that old school UFO feel to it and I think Phil's vocals fit best with the tempo and feel of this song more than on any other. The only thing even close to a stinker is The Devil's in the Detail but even this song is catchy. I just don't like the repetition during the chorus; the music is really cool though.

Another small issue that, again, most casual or new fans won't give a hoot about, is that I'd like to hear a bit more keyboard from Paul Raymond. While many heavy rock bands sound best without even a hint of keyboards (AC/DC, Judas Priest, etc.), UFO is one of those rare rock bands that feel right with a smattering of keyboards in the right places. Past tunes like Try Me, Just Another Suicide, Can You Roll Her and Out in the Street to name a few, would not have become UFO classics without keyboards. A healthy but not over-indulgent dose of ivory adds a special spark to any UFO recording and I think this album could use just a little more in that area. The keyboards are there but they are buried in the background on most of the tracks.

Overall, this is a very strong album so don't let my minor criticisms dissuade you from purchasing it. If you're a long-time fan or someone new to the band, get this album and you'll discover an old school rock band that still knows how to get it done. By the way, Phil's verses are as enjoyable as ever ("Pour me a trigger nail of sparkling kind / This road is gnarly and it's weather lined"). Purchase and enjoy.

Misdemeanor
Misdemeanor
Price: $14.77
39 used & new from $8.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Give Misdeameanor a Chance, March 4, 2015
This review is from: Misdemeanor (Audio CD)
Misdemeanor receives a lot of criticism and I don't really know why. I've been a UFO fan since I was 14 years old (I'm now 48) and can't understand the narrow-mindedness of some so-called rock fans. Many of the seventies rock fans don't like anything from the 80's, deriding the "hair metal" of the day. Other fans seem to close their minds whenever a band's line-up changes, criticizing any material from a band that's not from their "classic line-up."

I believe that Misdemeanor unfairly receives criticism from people in both of the above categories. In defense of this album: 1). Hey "hair metal" haters, ... rock and roll is rock and roll no matter the fashion of the day. I can understand if you don't like commercialism but isn't that the goal for musicians; hit the big time and have people buy your music? Either you like rock music or you don't. Just because this album has a little bit of the 80's vibe to it, it's still well-produced rock music. Atomic Tommy M is a fantastic guitarist. When on tour with UFO at the time of this album's release George Lynch (of Dokken / Lynch Mob fame) raved about Atomic Tommy's chops.

2). To those that don't like this album because there's no Michael Schenker, Pete Way or Andy Parker: get over it! Sure the albums created by that line-up were great; however, there are other great musicians out there. Phil Mogg is still the frontman and, as long as he's there, it's UFO.

Listen to this album with an open mind and you'll find an incredibly solid rock recording with fine performances all around.

Renegade
Renegade
Price: $9.99
46 used & new from $4.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent (Mostly) Heavy Thin Lizzy, January 12, 2015
This review is from: Renegade (Audio CD)
I can't believe there are actually people that think this is one of Lizzy's worst albums! It seems to me that there is a dichotomy in the Thin Lizzy fan-base. Many long-time fans seem to have a problem with the somewhat heavier sound that Thin Lizzy developed on "Renegade" and "Thunder and Lightning." Personally, I think those last two studio albums of Lizzy's are two of their very best albums; a tribute to a band whose leaders were battling substance abuse at the time.

I would encourage anyone that considers themselves to be an open-minded fan of heavy/hard rock to check out this album. The production is stellar as are the performances. "Angel of Death" and "The Pressure Will Blow" are two of Thin Lizzy's heaviest tunes while "Fats" and "Renegade" show off that penchant for hard rock eccentrism for which Phil Lynott was gifted. The bonus tracks truly are an added bonus, adding quality to the remastered release. Snowy White, for unknown reasons, takes a lot of undeserved flak from Lizzy fans.To the contrary, I find his playing quite soulful and precise.

I strongly recommend this gem of a hard rock recording!

Bad Reputation [Expanded Edition]
Bad Reputation [Expanded Edition]
Offered by MEGA Media
Price: $17.74
55 used & new from $5.65

3.0 out of 5 stars Muffled Remaster?, January 12, 2015
I love virtually all of Lizzy's material; however, the overall production of this album doesn't impress me. There's way too much low end and the sound seems somewhat muffled.Though I've admired Thin Lizzy for many years, I've only recently begun collecting their entire catalog of albums. As such, I've only heard this album in it's entirety via the 2011 remastered version. Perhaps a long-time fan could illuminate my review by posting a comment as to whether or not the original LP or an earlier cd release has a different, less muffled sound?

I have versions of "Dancing in the Moonlight" and "Bad Reputation" that were included on the "Dedication" compilation and they don't seem to suffer from the muffled sound. If the production of this remaster was better, the album would be one of Lizzy's strongest overall efforts due to the quality of the songs. "Opium Trail" is my personal favorite for it's cool vibe and interesting timing. If not for the poor remaster, I'd give it five stars.

Star Trek: The Complete Original Series DVD (Seasons 1-3)
Star Trek: The Complete Original Series DVD (Seasons 1-3)
DVD ~ William Shatner

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but where are the cheesy 60's effects?, December 28, 2014
I recently received this as a Christmas present and, while I thoroughly enjoy the original episodes, I miss the cheesy original special effects. In this release, all the original effects have been replaced by modern cgi versions. While I understand why this was done, I still enjoyed the original effects and miss them.

Part of the charm of the original series was the use of the best effects possible in the late 1960's. From a historical point of view, the replacing of these effects with modern tech is tantamount to drawing in a tattoo or lip piercing on the Mona Lisa! Sure, that would bring her "up-to-date" but is it necessary?

Still, it's great to have every episode at my disposal. One phenomenal positive aspect of this edition is that the producers digitally cleaned-up the original negatives, making the images as bright and colorful as I remember them as a child.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2015 8:27 PM PST

You Bought It You Name It
You Bought It You Name It
14 used & new from $32.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a very well-produced album by the clown-prince. ..., April 4, 2014
This is a very well-produced album by the clown-prince. Joe Walsh's musicianship shines throughout as does his flare for comical and thoughtful song writing. It's worth the price for I.L.B.T.'s and Space Age Wiz Kids alone but all the tracks are solid.

Elvish Dice Green/White (7) Board Game
Elvish Dice Green/White (7) Board Game
Offered by Precision Essentials
Price: $16.15
3 used & new from $16.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Balanced and Fun, April 4, 2014
I recently rolled up a new elven character for one of my DnD campaigns so I thought it would be fun to get some new dice that "fit" the character. These dice from Q-Workshop add a little extra fun to the great times that already provided by a DnD session. The set that I own seem well-balanced; not too many "1's" and enough "20's" to add a thrill or two here and there.

One note of caution: the numbers are a little more difficult to read than on most traditional dice. Many of my fellow players purchased dice from Q-Workshop after they saw mine and we learned that you have to choose your dice and color combination very carefully. Some color combinations are very difficult to read and some of the stylizations in the Q-Workshop line, though attractive, require extra effort in discerning the numbers on the dice.

Overall, I'd recommend dice from this company because of the novelty.

Bridge the Gap Deluxe Edition
Bridge the Gap Deluxe Edition
Price: $22.75
41 used & new from $14.46

3.0 out of 5 stars Where Has The Attack Gone In Schenker's Solos?, April 4, 2014
To begin, I've been listening to Michael Schenker since I was in 8th grade; I'm now 47. He's the reason I play guitar; why I own a white Gibson V; why my 8 year old son knows the lyrics to Doctor Doctor....and so on.

I really enjoy the songs on this album, especially Doogie's voice, but the main reason why anyone buys a Michael Schenker recording is because of Michael Schenker. Unfortunately, his solos are the weakest part of this album! His rhythm guitar parts are very well done and have a compressed and aggressive feel to them; maybe the best rhythm work he's done since the Assault Attack album. All that is well and good; however, the solos are quite lackluster.

The reason Michael Schenker became my favorite guitarist was because his solos spoke volumes. They were like small symphonies in their own right; technically brilliant, innovative and soulful. To this day, many of his solos give me goose bumps. I actually got a speeding ticket once because I was so into a Schenker solo that I forgot to watch what I was doing on the road! I am severely disappointed at the lack of zest and emotion in the solos on this album. Maybe it's the Dean Flying V, maybe it's just Michael's changing mood as a musician. I can't put my finger on it but it's disappointing. There is no attack on the guitar. Virtually every phrase of every solo is played in either the split pickup position or the neck position and, frankly, the solos are boring. Though they are still technically fluid, they truly are missing that traditional Schenker spark.

Thus, if you are a fan of Michael's music primarily because of his solos....I would not recommend this album. Props to the other musicians; they all sound great. I hope Michael returns to the sounds that made him a legend.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2014 7:06 PM PST

Mirrors
Mirrors
Price: $4.99
34 used & new from $3.13

5.0 out of 5 stars What B.O.C. Should Have Been, January 8, 2014
This review is from: Mirrors (Audio CD)
I think it's difficult for a hardcore fan of any group to give an unbiased review of anything by their beloved band that does not conform to the traditional image / sound that made the group what it is. Be patient, I'm not speaking about B.O.C. just yet. My favorite band since 1982 has been Scorpions. I have everything they've ever done. Based on the nostalgic reminiscences I have of those early Scorpions albums from their so-called "golden age," I can honestly say that I'm a terrible judge of their music! Their music changed and many of their albums have been called stinkers by critics and fans alike; however, I know that many of their newer fans have strongly positive feelings about their later material. Simply put, the newer fans have no nostalgia and their expectations aren't tainted like mine are as a traditional fan. Let me clarify a simple fact that will hopefully lend weight to this BLUE OYSTER CULT review....I am not a B.O.C. fan; at least, I've not been up until recently. I'm a musician in my late 40's (ouch) that grew up with the music of the 70's and 80's. I was weened on Cat Stevens, the Beatles, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, etc., but took to the metal revolution of the 80's like a fly to sugar.

B.O.C. to me growing up was essentially, "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "Godzilla" (with a little "Burnin' for You" thrown in there in the 80's). I heard the songs on the radio, liked them, but never really enough to go out and buy a B.O.C. album. I tended to like my rock a little heavier and leaned toward Euro-Metal and Neo-Classical Fusion (Scorpions, Rainbow, Malmsteen, MSG, etc.). For whatever reason, I never really got into B.O.C.

As time rolled on (as it tends to do), and the music scene of the 90's and 00's left me with a yearning in my heart for something from the "good ole days" that I hadn't heard before, I decided to purchase a B.O.C. album. "Where should I begin?" I asked myself. "How about "Agents of Fortune;" it has "Don't Fear the Reaper" on it so, (I figured) it has to be pretty good." I got the album a couple of years ago and, while I liked it for the simple fact that it was something from the aforementioned "good ole days" that I'd never heard before, I must admit, I wasn't floored by it. "This isn't heavy?" said I. "I thought these guys were supposed to be the American Black Sabbath?" With that, I filed the album in my massive cd collection and never thought I'd really get it out that much. Lo and behold, I found myself singing many of these tunes in my head and putting the disc in my regular "car" rotation (after all...a car is a stereo on wheels isn't it?).

I thought I'd try another album of theirs. I checked Amazon for what might be the next best B.O.C. to sample and decided to go with "Fire of Unknown Origin." I worked in a record store back in the 80's and remember shelving this title from time to time and thinking in my rock 'n' roll head, "Hey, I think there's a tune from the "Heavy Metal" animated film on here (though I honestly couldn't tell you which one...back then)." I also kinda liked "Burnin' For You" and figured if the whole album's as good as that tune, it's worth a purchase. I got "Fire" and liked it a bit more than "Agents" but wasn't too crazy about the production. Still not quite a fan of B.O.C at this point; more of a distant admirer. Stay with me...this review is going somewhere, I promise!

As a casual B.O.C. listener at this point I noticed something strange within the community of Blue Oyster Cult fans. As I sifted through many reviews of other B.O.C. albums on Amazon, it became apparent that their was a division in their fandom. Many long-time fans seemed to pine for the early material, the so called "Black and White" era and tended to criticize the stuff from the later 70's and 80's. Others seemed to care less for the older material, admiring the evolution of the band and their experimental edge. "Hmmm..." said I, (yes, I talk to myself a lot but don't worry...you're safe), "I wonder if the older B.O.C. stuff is better?" I ordered "Secret Treaties" because it was only $6.97 and I'm a cheapskate and wow, was I floored! This is good stuff...way better than "Agents" or "Fire." I purchased "Some Enchanted Evening" with the bonus dvd and was fairly impressed by what the group had to offer as a live band. "I think I'm sorta becoming a B.O.C. fan," I said to myself..(sounding crazier by the minute aren't I?).

Now, to the point ...and thanks for waiting if you're still reading. I have virtually all of B.O.C.'s albums and just acquired "Mirrors" over the holiday season. Based on the fact that the band doesn't seem to play much material from this era in their live sets and frankly, because many of their long-time fans don't seem too crazy about this album, I figured it was going to be an average to terrible album; you know, the kind you get just to complete a collection. Hearken back to the first paragraph of this review...remember those long-forgotten days of yore? I admittedly couldn't give you an honest review of Scorpions because of this nostalgic view I have of them. Having no real basis to call myself a true-blue B.O.C. fan and having only recently acquired a taste for their unique style, I believe I am in a position to provide a truly honest assessment of this album.

Drum roll, please........"It's frickin' awesome!" Forget what B.O.C. is supposed to be according to critics and even long-time fans. This album is what, in my opinion, they should have been. Their early stuff is good and each album reveals a progression as writers and musicians; however, with "Mirrors," B.O.C. reaches the pinnacle of their craft. Tom Werman's production definitely helps the whole thing out but the songs themselves are gems. While I believe most B.O.C albums have a few tracks that are stinkers, each track here is perfectly placed and has quality. I hope the traditionalists out there forgive me but I think this one is true B.O.C. Buck Dharma was a surf-guitarist, a pop-genre if ever there was one. This is the type of music he was born to play. Eric Bloom and the other vocalists in B.O.C. create dynamic harmonies on virtually all their albums. On this one, they reach a new, higher level of craftsmanship. Why they don't play these songs live very often is beyond me. I honestly think that they know this is their best album but feel pressure from their fan-base to play the traditional favorites. While B.O.C. have many great songs and virtually all their albums are solid, I believe that the other B.O.C. albums must "grow" on you. In other words, you have to listen to them a few times to really appreciate them and get into them. For me, "Mirrors" was a love-at-first-listen type of thing. As soon as you hear it, you know it's good. This is what Blue Oyster Cult should have been. This is the height of their craftsmanship.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3