Profile for ARH > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 447

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ARH RSS Feed (The Shadow of the Tetons)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control
Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control
Offered by Electronics Basket
Price: $18.22
6 used & new from $18.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Name brand Nikon quality - it's worth a little more, February 24, 2015
Works great! I use this with my Nikon D5100. This remote is small and handy. I've used it so far mainly to take group photos that I'm part of. The unit is small enough that I can easily palm it or slip it into a pocket before the camera's remote timer fires.

The small size also makes it extremely convenient to carry in a camera's side pouch with an extra battery and SD cards.

It's been my experience that using name-brand equipment whenever possible works out for the best.

If this remote is compatible with your camera, you'll be glad you have it, it won't disappoint.

Bertolli Vodka Sauce, 24 Ounce
Bertolli Vodka Sauce, 24 Ounce
4 used & new from $7.95

2.0 out of 5 stars One bottle was more than enough for us...we'll be headed back to various marinara and alfredo sauces, February 24, 2015
My wife and I eat a lot of pasta dishes, and we are often on the lookout for other sauce options so we decided to give this vodka sauce a go.

We had it in a simple meal...pasta, sauteed mushrooms, onions, etc., and this sauce. Maybe we didn't match this sauce with the right pasta or toppings, but after just one meal both of us agreed that we had enough.

The sauce is hearty, but it's hard to put a finger on what didn't really work for us. The flavor just didn't sit quite right. Maybe we were expecting a variation on marinara sauce, which this is not, but no matter how you slice it, one bottle is it for us.

2 stars

Classic Brands Cool Gel 12 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Queen Size
Classic Brands Cool Gel 12 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Queen Size
Price: $399.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wait a few weeks before you decide, it took a little getting used to but after a month this gives me a 5-star night's sleep, February 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After some initial misgivings and nearly a month of use and critical evaluation, I have to say that I cannot think of any reason to award this mattress less than 5 stars.

First of all, I was interested to see how this shipped...I mean, how many people buy a mattress online? When I received notification that it had arrived I hustled home and found a box perhaps 2 ft x 2ft x 5 or was it 7 feet long. When I started to heft it, it was HEAVY. I was, however able to drag it inside and upstairs on my own. The mattress weighs around 100 lbs.

I peeled away the box to find that the mattress was factory compressed, rolled, and wrapped. Here's a word of advice...make sure you have plenty of room when you cut away the tough plastic wrap, because the mattress will immediately unroll and start to expand. You may also want to step back when you make the final cut as well. I wouldn't say that the mattress explodes outward, but it unrolls quickly.

The manufacturer recommends allowing the mattress to expand fully before use, and suggests allowing it 2-3 days to expand and degas - to get rid of a possible "new car" type smell. We waited about a day and a half before use, and we have not been bothered by any mattress materials smells.
The mattress is THICK. It has an upper pliant memory foam layer and a thicker memory foam base. I have to admit that when I first saw this product I thought it was a memory foam pad, not a mattress, but all the better that it's a mattress.

The manufacturer recommends that you use this mattress on a firm base, and that you not use box springs. Well, box springs and a bed frame are what we have so that's what we use, and we can't tell that there are any down sides to this.

The mattress arrived in late January so it was cold when it arrived and IMO probably hadn't fully expanded when we started using it. The first few nights I thought it was quite firm, maybe too firm, but my wife said it felt "delicious" to her...over the past few weeks either the mattress has inflated fully and warmed completely or I've gotten used to it...I'm not sure which. I do not prefer a very firm mattress, and I sleep well on this one. It may feel firm when you first lie down, but within a few minutes the memory foam conforms to my body and I'm comfortable.

One thing I noticed is that when I first lay down that I sometimes feel like the mattress is sloping outward slightly, not like a spring mattress that automatically slopes inward when you lie down on it, but again, within less than a minute that sensation leaves.

As for the claim that it's cooling...well, I haven't noticed this, and since this is winter in Idaho I don't really want to be cool. Plus we are using flannel sheets right now. I'll have to wait until Summer before I can decide about this claim

As for value, this is a a great buy. Just checked the Sealy Posturepedic website and their queen mattresses range from $800 to $1400 (of course actual showroom costs may well be lower), but you can pick up this mattress for just under $400. We are sold, and are seriously considering purchasing more of these as our other mattresses need to be replaced.

Keystone KSTFA12AAG Table to Floor Air Accelerator Pedestal Fan, 12-Inch, Black
Keystone KSTFA12AAG Table to Floor Air Accelerator Pedestal Fan, 12-Inch, Black
Price: $49.99
7 used & new from $45.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints, good unit, but it's pretty short, even so - 5 stars, February 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice little unit, and when I say little I mean little. The fan head is probably 15" across, which is fine, but it only extends to a height of about 3 feet. It works well as a floor fan for a smaller space or for a table top.

Assembly was relatively easy once I located a small screw that needs to be removed in order to unlock the fan cover. You can't attach the fan blade assembly to the motor until you get the fan cover off. One more thing...you also need to remove a small plastic sleeve from the motor spindle rod before you can slide the fan onto the spindle/axle. Once that's done the rest is a breeze.

The fan is attractive, puts out a good stream of air, and the fan cover has slats that are narrow enough that even small children cannot reach the turning blade.

It's a good design. The fan timer is also a good perk. You can, of course, just turn it on and let it run, or you can set the timer in the base and it will turn itself off later.

I like it.

5 stars

Life n Soul LnS-KiiTAG-B KiiTAG-B Bluetooth 4.0 Item Finder, Bluetooth Lost and Found Device Mobile Accessories - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $19.99
8 used & new from $19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Cool concept. but since there is no accompanying app out there...it's just a useless trinket - 1 star, February 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's see, where to start? I seldom award 1 star for anything, unless it deserves it.

To be completely clear, I can't comment on the utility of this little unit, though conceptually it's got a lot of potential.

Here's my experience.

I finally got a chance to pull this out of the wrapper and found the KiiTAG unit, a battery, and the world's smallest screwdriver to match the world's smallest screw that keeps the battery compartment lid closed. Luckily I had the presence of mind to assume that the screw would fall free as soon as it was unscrewed. BTW, the screw is black, and if dropped would almost certainly be transported, probably through a worm hole to that domain someplace in the universe where all the lost pen caps and lost socks go...

Anyway, I caught the screw in my hand and then proceeded to install the battery. Not a big deal, right? Well, neither the case nor the manual indicated which way the battery should be inserted. I know, I know, there are only two options (it's a watch type battery), but no matter which way I installed it, the battery compartment cover would not be fully seated...after some significant "persuasion" I finally made it fit and reinserted the world's smallest screw...miraculously without dropping it. I pushed the battery indicator button and saw the soothing blue LED light blink. Ah, step one accomplished.

Step two...go to the App store and searched for the "KiiTAG" App as directed. It was nowhere to be seen in the Amazon app store or the Google Play store for Android...so I went searching for more enlightenment in the users' manual...did I mention that the font size used in the manual was, um, probably 4? My guess is that the same person who designed the small screwdriver and the world's smallest screw also chose the manual font.

Anyway, after searching various app stores and using many variations of the recommended search term, I did the all-American thing and gave up.

The manual was a fount of, well, no help whatsoever.

All I can say is that I'm thrilled that I was asked to review as a member of the Amazon Vine community so prospective buyers wouldn't have to deal with frustrations galore and the need to return this seemingly cool little gadget.

1 star for lack of any hope of actually getting it to work.

Ravensbruck: Life and Death in Hitler's Concentration Camp for Women
Ravensbruck: Life and Death in Hitler's Concentration Camp for Women
by Sarah Helm
Price: $26.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable, personal, emotional view of a terrible time in human history, February 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Nazi-driven holocaust is one of the lowest points in human history. Many books have been written about this terrible episode of human history, but for the first time Ravensbruck - the Nazi concentration camp for women is the focus of an exhaustive yet readable treatment.

Most people have heard about Nazi concentration/death camps, Auschwitz being most well-known, but very few people know about Ravensbruck. This was the Nazi concentration camp build specifically for women...and not just Jews. Again most people know that Jews were a prime target for imprisonment and murder in concentration camps, but what they don't know is the Nazis targeted many groups - Jews, Gypsies, Slavs, Communists and other political enemies, criminals, mentally ill, people with VD, etc., etc., all part of Hitler's plan to produce a master race...and that included culling the population of undesirables. These women were shipped off to Ravensbruck.

In this book Helm takes a personal approach by telling about life, humiliation, brutality, and death through the eyes of many different survivors of that experience. These experiences include prisoners, guards, Nazis, etc.

I have to say that there were times when I was nearly reduced to tears as I read about the inhumanity that these women prisoners experienced. Similarly I was emotionally stressed when I stopped to ponder the kind of society that not only allowed but encouraged this inhumane behavior, the brutality, the bigotry, the unrestrained violence.

I won't include any spoilers, but one part I found particularly compelling were snippets of information here and there showing just how aware the German public was of the concentration camps and what happened there. I was actually surprised to read that early on Hitler and his crew backed off when public opinion came out against them when they learned what was happening...that was what happened early on.

Of course history has shown that later the population was either so enchanted by Hitler or so cowered by him and the Gestopo and the chance that they might be turned in that they were largely silent.

All I can say is that if you want a different view of Nazi Germany and how things eventually got so bad, this book will help you get there.

Books like this are often difficult emotionally to work through, but they are vitally important reminders about how we need to cling to our humanity and to our important roles as global as well as local citizens.

Torani Syrup, Cinnamon, 25.4 Ounce (Pack of 4)
Torani Syrup, Cinnamon, 25.4 Ounce (Pack of 4)
Price: $24.62
2 used & new from $24.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Try it in soda or hot chocolate!, February 2, 2015
My wife is addicted(?) to Toriani Cinnamon Syrup. I was able to try this as a Vine offering, and it was such a score with my wife that before the trial bottle ran dry we ordered four more!

She loves to add shots of cinnamon syrup to Dr. Pepper, Diet Coke, etc. She also adds it to hot chocolate for a little more zip.

The flavor is great, and works well with a variety of drink options.

5 stars

Blue Planet: Seas of Life (Five-Disc Special Edition)
Blue Planet: Seas of Life (Five-Disc Special Edition)
DVD ~ David Attenborough
Price: $31.99
13 used & new from $28.15

4.0 out of 5 stars A half a step below more recent BBC Open productions like LIFE or Planet Earth, February 2, 2015
The Blue Planet series was absolutely fantastic when it was released, especially in relation to many other nature specials out there, but it pales in comparison with other more recent released by BBC such as LIFE and Planet Earth. It's almost like the BBC nature team was working on its bachelor's degree during "The BLUE Planet" in 2001, it's masters degree during "Planet Earth" in 2006, and it's PhD with "LIFE" in 2009.

Don't get me wrong, The BLUE Planet has LOTS of top notch footage, but it is not on par with more recent BBC One releases.

If you have already watched Planet Earth or LIFE you will see what I mean when you compare BLUE Planet to them.

It's great, nut not fantastic!

4 solid stars.

The Middle: Season 4
The Middle: Season 4
DVD ~ Patricia Heaton
Price: $16.49
31 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and fresh as ever! Frankie rules!!!, February 2, 2015
This review is from: The Middle: Season 4 (DVD)
We are huge fans of "the middle". My wife says that Frankie Heck rocks her world and she wishes they could be real life friends. I gave this season to her for Christmas and we watch one episode per evening (when we get the chance).

This is a sitcom that amazingly has remained fresh for at least four seasons. The writing, the chemistry between characters, and storylines are all top-notch. We hope this series can go on and on and on.

It's especially good that the children age as the story progresses...and whoever the writers are, they KNOW teenagers.

The CD set is great, but if you get this set, be advised that there are more than 4 episodes per disc. To see the rest you will need to go down to the arrow at the bottom of the screen next to the main menu button, click the arrow and another screen of episode titles will appear.

5 solid stars!

Haggar Mens Work To Weekend Hidden Expandable Waist Corduroy Plain Front Pant, Monument,34x34
Price: $36.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The leeway of the expandable waist is just enough to make these nice and comfy, January 28, 2015
I love pants that have a hidden expandable waist band. I'm not fat, um...well, that's another issue, but let's say that you are between traditional sizes like me, not a true comfortable 34" waist but 36" is just too loose. The little bit of leeway that these expandable waist pants give is just enough to make the world work. I am in fact wearing them right now.

I have the dark gray color, and I wear them to work. They are casual enough to be comfortable and dressy enough to teach in.

The one complaint I had, at least the first time I wore them is that I had a devil of a time getting the darned button back through the button hole when I was ready to take them off. I'm probably on my third wearing, and though easier, it's still not easy to get that button in and out...OK, buttoning is still easier than unbuttoning! I'm really glad that I didn't have an unbuttoning emergency that first wearing.

The pockets could probably be a little deeper, but the are all right. The zipper works flawlessly, and I haven't really found anything that will be a long-term problem...that is once the button-button hole issue gets loosened up.

I would buy another pair of these...but I'll hold off for now until I get these good and broken in.

5 stars for casual and a casual work option to Dockers.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20