Profile for WagtheDogDiva > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

WagtheDogDiva RSS Feed (Chicago)

Elma Women's Touch Screen Italian Nappa Leather Winter Texting Gloves (S, Grey)
Elma Women's Touch Screen Italian Nappa Leather Winter Texting Gloves (S, Grey)
Offered by Warmen Gloves
Price: $35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, December 1, 2014
Stunning gloves. I bought the gray and the color is wonderful. Soft leather and the fit (small) was good. Highly recommend these elegant gloves.

Bodum Bistro Universal Knife Block, Red
Bodum Bistro Universal Knife Block, Red
Price: $47.71
13 used & new from $42.94

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love this, but...., January 5, 2014
This seemed the perfect solution for our tiny kitchen, but our cupboards are too low to get the larger knives without tilting the block or moving it from underneath the cupboards. Also, our chef knives don't go all the way in. I'm looking for a wood block again.

Fund Raising Realities Every Board Member Must Face - Revised Edition: A 1-Hour Crash Course on Raising Major Gifts for Nonprofit Organizations
by David Lansdowne
33 used & new from $1.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be required reading for every board, November 14, 2012
I have used this book in three nonprofits I have worked for. Hands down - the best primer on fundraising for every board. Boards often tax their directors with going out and getting the money, unaware of the part they must play in this role. This books lays it out in a non-nonsense, here is what you need to do in a no-holds-barred tone.

Laura Mercier Eyelash Curler
Laura Mercier Eyelash Curler
Offered by Makeup Mall
Price: $14.72
12 used & new from $14.72

3.0 out of 5 stars I love it, but...., June 28, 2012
I love this eyelash curler. In fact, I've had three of them because the same piece keeps snapping off. After several months of normal use, it cracks at the stress point of what you push down to curl your lashes. I should say, I've only purchased one and I just keep returning them to Nordstroms and getting them exchanged. Other than this one rather big issue, I love the curler for the following reasons:
1. You can curl your lashes without pinching your eyelid.
2. It is small and compact and easy to use.
3. I have small eyes and the regular eyelash curlers are just too big for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2014 12:48 PM PDT

The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction
The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction
by Alan Jacobs
Price: $15.15
70 used & new from $5.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding and Enlightening, April 23, 2012
Anyone who reads this book is a reader. Guaranteed. We may read different genres and at different levels, but we love the written word. Professor Jacobs has managed to write an eminently readable and entertaining book about reading that considers our tastes, trends, and technology. As a johnny-come-lately to ebooks (and I work in a library). I appreciate his acceptance of this format and acknowledgement of where this format can be advantageous. For myself, I find I enjoy my fiction reading just as much on my kindle as I do in hardcover, but prefer my nonfiction in print form because of how I like to annotate.

I judge a book by my desire to reread it, and having finished "Pleasures" and thought about it, am ready to start again and pick up the things I missed. Plus, this weight has been lifted off me that it is okay to read not so great literature for the simple reason I enjoy some so-so writing every now and then.

Chic & Slim Toujours: Aging Beautifully Like Those Chic French Women
Chic & Slim Toujours: Aging Beautifully Like Those Chic French Women
by Anne Barone
Price: $10.95
70 used & new from $0.68

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressingly mediocre, April 15, 2012
I confess to being a francophile and I buy A LOT of books about French style. I also know how hard it is to write a book and I always err on the side of giving an author the benefit of the doubt. I can overlook a few typos, even rough prose, if the content has substance. After reading two of Barone's books,"Chic & Slim: How Those Chic French Women Eat All That Rich Food And Still Stay Slim" and "Chic & Slim Toujours: Aging Beautifully Like Those Chic French Women," I have to admit there is nothing in her books that would make me recommend them to anyone. True, I didn't find any typos, but the writing is pedestrian at best (you can only use the phrase "chic and slim" so many times without a reader rolling her eyes). What little research she has done is shallow, In fact in one of the books she talks about looking up a French actress on Wikipedia and then quotes that source. Really? I can do that. Anyone with an Internet connection or public library nearby could do as well.

There is also shameless self-promotion in both the books I read - testimonials from readers at the end of a few chapters, as though oohh, here's some white space, let's stick an "atta boy" in there. She mentions several times how the French chose quality over quantity, and she would have done well to follow her own advice by focusing on the quality of the books. An editor with a critical eye, one who demanded that she flesh it out more, would have been very helpful. The books feel cheap, from the quality of the paper, to the design, to the content.

The books are self-published and don't have reviews from Publisher's Weekly, Library Journal, or other legitimate source. I have nothing against self-published books; I think there are some fantastic self-published books out here - "Okay, So I Got Fat," a wonderful book (despite a few typos) about how to eat smart and healthy and not spend hours in the kitchen. "Okay" is rich with content, well-researched and written in a tone that sounds part girlfriend confidential park visit from a nutritionist. Barone's books aren't examples of well done self-published tomes. Anyone who self-publishes has to work twice as hard to turn out a good product.

I generally gauge my interest in a book two ways: 1. When will I have time to read it again? and 2. Do I keep it or toss it? Although I got through both books (ever the eternal optimist), I skimmed the last few pages and it sat for weeks on my nightstand between readings because I just didn't care enough to invest the time. As for keeping, they are already in the pile to donate.

For authors I like, I always visit their websites - unfortunately Barone's website offers as much substance as her books. The only redeeming link is "updates," which was informative. Her photos look dated - all two of them - and while she is slim, she isn't chic, at least not French chic. Marketing 101 - you better be able to walk the walk if you are selling yourself as the insider on French chic.

I'm aware that reviews are excellent for her books - did these people actually read the book? Are they friends? It escapes me. If you want to read about French style, start with Debra Ollivier's "Entre Nous" as the gold standard and go from there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2014 4:08 PM PST

Strong Mothers, Strong Sons: Raising the Next Generation of Men
Strong Mothers, Strong Sons: Raising the Next Generation of Men
by Ann F. Caron
25 used & new from $1.91

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for mothers of sons, January 3, 2011
I'm not a psychologist or a teacher, just the mother of a son. I wish I had found this book earlier in my son's life, because I would have handled some very difficult years differently. This book gives insight and clarity to boys and young men. As the oldest daughter growing up in a family of all girls, I had no idea that boys were so emotionally different. When I was a new mother, I struggled constantly trying to understand my son, raise him well in a divorced-home, and deal with his unexpected rages and reckless behavior. I stumbled upon this book when he was about 15 and although, I couldn't do anything about the previous 15 years, it helped to know that some of what he was going through was normal. The book gave me ideas on how to handle other things. The hardest thing I ever did was tell my son that I loved him very much, but unless he followed the rules in my house and respected me, he was not welcome. It took awhile, but the day he was finally able to tell me he loved me was worth every tear I cried. Today, he is 24 years old, a college graduate, and working in a start-up business that he loves. All great things, but what impresses me the most about him, is his ability for compassion and kindness (something I was sure he would never acquire). He has a wonderful girlfriend of 3 years and I can honestly say, he appreciates her independence and respects her. His relationship with his younger sister is strong. In the past two months, his stepfather had health problems and as I work out of state, my son took the initiative to help his stepfather as much as he could until I got home.

I'm sure part of his behavior is due to maturity, but I also think this book helped me be a better mother.

Congress in Context
Congress in Context
by John Haskell
Price: $27.90
60 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great primer for learning about Congress, October 20, 2010
This review is from: Congress in Context (Paperback)
Having just moved to the Washington DC area to work with a nonprofit that deals with Congress, this has been a great book to get me up to speed about the inner workings of Congress. I'm sure I studied this in school, but a refresher course written in easy to understand language has been a blessing.

Zadro 5x Mag Next Generation LED Cordless Double Sided Round Vanity Mirror, 9-Inch, Satin Nickel Finish
Offered by Showerdoordirect
Price: $40.99
17 used & new from $35.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not perfect make-up light, October 20, 2010
This was one of the only lit make-up mirrors I could find that used batteries. I didn't want any more cords in the bathroom. The light is very nice looking and made well, however I wish the magnification was greater. The light has a tendency to go dim and then brighten up. At first I thought the new batteries were already dying, but one was loose, so after pushing that back in, it was fine for a day. Now it is doing the same thing again, but I accidentally left it on for over 12 hours, so the batteries may actually be going now. Overall, satisfied.