Profile for Sir Angus > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sir Angus RSS Feed (NYC)

Page: 1 | 2
Quick & Kosher - Recipes From The Bride Who Knew Nothing
Quick & Kosher - Recipes From The Bride Who Knew Nothing
by Jamie Geller
Price: $36.99
32 used & new from $20.96

2.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!, January 18, 2008
I own many outstanding kosher cookbooks, so was looking forward to this one -- only to be grossly disappointed.

Although the book is large, much of that is white space, and the print is small and faint. (The pale green is almost invisible, and the pale black not much better. I guess the publisher was trying to prevent people from photocopying recipes, but gypping those who paid big bucks for the oversized book is grossly unfair.)

One problem with the recipes is that they call for either weight or cups, rather than X cups (Y ounces), which proves very helpful when you're purchasing the items and don't know how many cups are in a can, or how many vegetables will produce x cups. This is an easy step which anyone charging this much for a book should have taken.

In a similar vein, the book should either give precise sizes or define a "medium-sized" bowl/pan. Those of us seeking "quick and easy" don't want to have to wash an extra bowl or pan because the first one was the wrong size -- and such decisions are subjective, usually based upon how large our families were.

It also seems as though almost every recipe calls for mayonnaise. However, no variations were cited for this or anything else. I, myself, like to know what other options would work.

Likewise, a disproportionate number of recipes call for commercial puff paste ... simple recipes you can find in most cookbooks, and for which you wouldn't even need a cookbook.

The book would have been fine had it been printed in a clear typeface, cited variations rather than padding it with umpteen similar ways to use commercial puff pastry, and charged a normal price. $34.99 is a ridiculously high sum to charge for white space. For that price, one has a right to readable text, clear measurements, passably different recipes (particularly those based on a single commercial product), etc.

The list goes on and on, and seems grossly unwarranted in a $34.99 book. With countless absolutely phenomenal kosher cookbooks readily available (most right here on Amazon), don't waste your money on this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2008 5:01 PM PDT

Another Taste of Palm Springs
Another Taste of Palm Springs
by Wanda Barbara Shope
Edition: Spiral-bound
16 used & new from $6.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this one! One of the all-time best community cookbooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, December 25, 2007
I bought A Taste of Palm Springs as a souvenir of Palm Springs -- and it was so outstanding that I eagerly purchased this, the sequel.

Although I own over a thousand cookbooks, this remains one of my all-time favorites. Every recipe I've tried has been sensational, it is fun to read favorite celebrities's favorites, and the proceeds went to support a children's hospital. Although I periodically weed through my cookbook collection and discard many community cookbooks because they are "same old, same old", and I just don't have room for all of them, this book stands out as uniquely special, with singularly delicious recipes, and unfailingly fun to browse through.

A Taste of Palm Springs
A Taste of Palm Springs
by Minnette; Tiempo de los Ninos Haber
3 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this one! One of the all-time best community cookbooks!, December 25, 2007
I bought this book as a souvenir of Palm Springs -- and, although I own over a thousand cookbooks, this remains one of my all-time favorites. Every recipe I've tried has been sensational, it is fun to read favorite celebrities's favorites, and the proceeds went to support a children's hospital. Although I periodically weed through my cookbook collection and discard many community cookbooks because they are "same old, same old", and I just don't have room for all of them, this book stands out as uniquely special, with singularly delicious recipes, and unfailingly fun to browse through.

Divine Kosher Cuisine: Catering to Family and Friends
Divine Kosher Cuisine: Catering to Family and Friends
by Rise' Routenberg
30 used & new from $3.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, December 24, 2007
This book looks expensive only until you see it ... In truth, it would be a bargain at any price. The recipes are all thoroughly tested tried-and-true favorites written as clearly as possible to virtually guarantee success.

Although it obviously holds special appeal for those who keep kosher, the delectable recipes will appeal to anyone with tastebuds. (I'm Protestant, and love this book -- as does everyone I've given it to.) Every single recipe I've tried has been sensational!

Don't miss this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nordic Ware Norwegian Krumkake Iron
Nordic Ware Norwegian Krumkake Iron
Price: $50.85
13 used & new from $42.76

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL!, December 21, 2007
I've been using Nordic Ware's stovetop krumkake iron since I was a teenager, and still love it. Krumkake are delectable, can be refrigerated or frozen, and served either plain or filled with whipped cream. They are exceptionally popular, and it is never a problem if more than one member of a group makes them for the same event - they are always a huge hit, and there are never too many.

(I once bought the electric krumkake iron, but my family felt that the results from the stovetop iron were far superior, so I donated the electric one to a charity garage sale.)

Occasions to Savor
Occasions to Savor
by Delta Sigma Theta
47 used & new from $1.05

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't miss this one!, December 9, 2007
This review is from: Occasions to Savor (Hardcover)
This cookbook looks expensive only until you see it. Be assured that it is well worth every penny!

It is gorgeous, with full-color photographs, and large, clear print. There are stories and acknowledgements from famous African Americans (e.g., Camille Cosby) and Delta members. The recipes are all tried-and-true, and most are prefaced by the contributors' comments about why it is so special.
Everything I've tried to date has been sensational -- the best of its kind I've ever tasted.

This has the advantages of a top-of-the-line community cookbook, but with gorgeous presentation, well-perfected recipes, etc.

You won't be sorry you bought it or gave it as a gift.

(And you most definitely don't have to be African American to appreciate this ... I'm not. This will appeal to anyone with taste buds.)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, December 7, 2007
I have loved Spike salt-free seasoning for as long as I can remember, but had trouble finding it until Amazon began stocking it -- and postage-free, no less! Used wherever you would Mrs. Dash, this is a delectable seasoning which greatly improves any dish to which it is added. Absolutely fantastic!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, December 7, 2007
This is the tastiest (and healthiest!) seasoning salt I've ever found. I use it in all recipes, so was thrilled to find it here on Amazon (and postage free, no less!).

I use it wherever one would use seasoned salt, even if another brand/type is called for. It is always perfect!

Cooking Jewish: 532 Great Recipes from the Rabinowitz Family
Cooking Jewish: 532 Great Recipes from the Rabinowitz Family
by Judy Bart Kancigor
Price: $20.47
75 used & new from $0.76

5.0 out of 5 stars PHENOMENAL!, November 12, 2007
Although I own over a thousand cookbooks and this one just arrived last week, it is already one of my all-time favorites ... truly phenomenal!

The recipes were all tried-and-true favorites contributed by family members all over the world, and preceded by descriptions of what makes each one so wonderful. Each and every recipe was tested and perfected by the author, who carefully noted every relevant detail to virtually ensure success.

The caramels are scrumptious (and well worth the price of the book). Every recipe seems to be that way ... incredibly delicious, and written to virtually ensure success. The author also offers simplified alternatives, such as roasting eggplant and peppers in the oven rather than on top of the stove for Romanian Eggplant.

One caveat: although Cooking Jewish holds a special appeal for Jews, the food is scrumptious for any palate. (I'm a Christian, and these are recipes anyone would love, and which I would proudly serve anyone.)

I can't even imagine not loving this cookbook ... It offers everything I consider important in a cookbook, and the recipes are well-tested, incredibly delicious, and clearly written. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2014 6:29 AM PDT

Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
by Nancie McDermott
Price: $13.70
76 used & new from $4.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, October 19, 2007
Like all of Nancie McDermott's books, this is well-written, providing clear step-by-step instructions for delectable cakes. Those I've tried have been wonderful.

My only criticism is that I read the book from cover to cover, but couldn't find any reference to such things as the type of flour the author used (bleached, unbleached, protein content, etc.), the size of the eggs, etc. -- which such authors as Rose Levy Berenbaum always mention, and which can make a real difference in the results. IMHO, all modern cookbooks should provide this information. Beginners wouldn't know these things, and it wouldn't have taken up much space to tell them.

Moreover, a book this wonderful should be available in harcover!

However, there is a wide range of recipes (from Tomato Soup Cake to Lady Baltimore Cake), and everything I've tried has been outstanding. (The basic One-Two-Three-Four cake, which most of our grandmothers made, and many of us grew up loving, is included, but not by name ... It is listed as Tres Leches Cake.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2014 10:20 AM PST