Profile for The Digital Trekker (B Stoops) > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 92

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Digital Trekker (B Stoops) RSS Feed (Phoenix, AZ)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Google Adwords: The Ultimate Guide to Mastering Google Adwords Pay Per Click Advertising in Less Than 24 Hours! (google adwords 2014, google ads, google ... advertising, google marketing, adwords)
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Very brief, very general, November 17, 2014
For those completely new to Google AdWords, this book might be worth a quick read to help you get slightly oriented, but only if it's free. The book is desperately lacking in detail. For example, there are brief comments about the importance of good titles, but the author fails to offer even a single example of a good or not so good title. This would have been simple to include for anyone who has experience writing ad titles (which makes the author's expertise suspect). Sadly every brief section of the book suffers from the same issue. Nowhere in the entire book is there an example of a real ad, which is quite shocking for a book that is all about helping you "master" Google AdWords. Save your time and money and look for another book or even just a blog post or two.

Sony 32GB Microvault USB Flash Drive for Smartphone (USM32SA1/B)
Sony 32GB Microvault USB Flash Drive for Smartphone (USM32SA1/B)
Price: $19.99
22 used & new from $14.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful for Backing Up Your Phone or Sharing Files with Other Mobile Users, October 22, 2014
I routinely test mobile accessories so was interested when I stumbled across the Sony Microvault USB Flash Drive. It is reasonably priced for a USB flash drive, so the added value of being compatible with both USB and microUSB devices is a real plus. After a month or so of periodic use, I've had no issues with this device whatsoever. I use it primarily with my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone as a way to move data between it and my computer and tablets. It is quickly recognized by all of the devices I've tested it with (Android, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows RT).

Why would you need this? There are two main reasons to get something like this. The first is to be able to quickly & easily backup or transfer data on your phone (the ES File Explorer app for Android makes this simple). The other reason is to be able to share media or other files with others. Obviously we are accustomed to doing this all the time with standard USB thumb drives. However, now that so many folks are primarily, or even exclusively, using mobiles, the ability to transfer files directly to those devices is very convenient.

My only reason for not giving this 5 stars is a minor gripe with the cap, which covers the microUSB end of the drive. It is slightly awkward to remove (easy once you figure out how to do it). Second, due to its color & small size, it is very easy to lose or misplace this. The slot in the cap makes it easy to connect a lanyard, but Sony should have included one with the drive.

Logitech 982-000074 UE 4000 Headphones - Purple (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Logitech 982-000074 UE 4000 Headphones - Purple (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by BESTDEAL TECH
Price: $23.50
10 used & new from $22.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Buy for Kids & Adults, October 22, 2014
I purchased a pair of these in another color nearly a year ago. I've been so happy with them that when my daughter's birthday rolled around, I decided to get her a pair in purple. I have other headphones - ear buds, on the ear (like these), and over the ear, including some retailing for over $100 - but these Logitech UE 4000's are the ones I grab first. I'm not an audio purist, but these seem to have good, balanced sound and, equally important, are very comfortable to wear, even for longer periods. Mine get daily use for an assortment of web & video work, webinars & conference calls, and occasionally music and streaming video. After nearly a year of pretty heavy use, they show no signs of wear & tear.

Compared to other headphones on the market, and based on cost, sound, comfort and durability, these are a great buy for kids & adults.

Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Canon LP-E8 and Canon EOS 550D, EOS 600D, EOS 700D, EOS Rebel T2i, EOS Rebel T3i, EOS Rebel T4i, EOS Rebel T5i
Price: $20.99
5 used & new from $19.52

1.0 out of 5 stars After a few charging cycles, both batteries now only last for a few shots, October 18, 2014
Value-wise, this was a winner! I was heading overseas and needed a couple of extra batteries to keep my T3i going strong while shooting stills & videos. Aside from the HUGELY annoying issue with not being able to get the batteries out of the charger (I resorted to using my original Canon charger until I finally saw another review that showed how to extract the battery from the charger), I was really pleased with thee at first, but after only around 10 charges, they stopped holding a charge. The green light would come on indicating the charging was complete, but I could only get a few shots off. At first I thought my camera had been damaged somehow as I could not get the Live View or display to go on at all, but I think it is just an issue with the batteries not taking a charge. I'm hoping that is the issue as it will be cheaper to replace a battery then repair my camera.

Hisense Sero 7 Pro 7" Tablet Quad Core Processor with 8GB Memory, M470BSA
Hisense Sero 7 Pro 7" Tablet Quad Core Processor with 8GB Memory, M470BSA
Offered by Amazing Cougar
Price: $153.99
4 used & new from $64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, August 25, 2014
I've been testing a number of 7" Android tablets and found this HiSense Sero 7 Pro on sale for well under $100 so decided to add it to the mix. I am glad that I did. This little powerhouse of a budget tablet has far exceeded my expectations.

I've been testing this along with a 2nd-generation Kindle Fire HD, LG G Pad 7.0, Lenovo A7-050, and an ASUS MEMO Pad 7. All of these have similar specs and all have proven to be worthwhile budget tablets. While the Hisense Sero 7 only offers 8GB of internal storage, it does have a microSD card for added storage, a key feature that is noticeably lacking on some higher-end tablets like the Nexus 7. Regardless of how popular "the cloud" has become, it is deplorable that Apple and some Android vendors opt not to include a way to expand storage on their mobile devices.

Compared to the other tablets above, there are a few other benefits to this Hisense tablet.
1. Both front- and rear-facing cameras with better specs (2.0 MP and 5.0 MP) than the competition
2. Rear camera has an LED flash
3. NFC support - most don't use this, but it is a nice feature to have
4. Excellent battery life. In my last test, the battery lasted just under 12 hours with Wi-Fi enabled and a locally-stored HD video playing continuously in a loop with brightness at maximum for much of the time (the same test was run with brightness at max for the entire time yielded 7:30 of run time).
5. Mini-HDMI port - this makes it easy to connect your tablet to an HDMI-equipped TV, monitor or projector

The screen ranked near the top for brightness and color compared to the other tablets above, and the stereo speakers were clear and loud.

I only had a few minor annoyances with the Sero 7 Pro compared to the others: it is a little on the heavy side, is slightly wider, and the back is made of cheap-feeling plastic.

In many ways, this tablet reminds me of my Kindle Fire HD (2nd Gen), which I really love. The build quality is not as good, but it adds a number of key features (microSD card slot, rear camera with LED light, NFC, GPS) lacking on the Kindle Fire HD. I cannot yet speak to the durability of this tablet, but for the money, it offers serious bang for your buck and is definitely worth considering as you shop for a tablet.

Affiliate Marketing in 7 Days: Build Your Own Passive Income Stream in a Week
Affiliate Marketing in 7 Days: Build Your Own Passive Income Stream in a Week
Price: $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, brief guide for those new to affiliate marketing, August 20, 2014
This is a brief guide that serves as a good intro to affiliate marketing. It's greatest strength is its brevity. If you are simply trying to understand the basics of this topic or want some initial help to point you in the right direction, this is a worthwhile 1-hour (or less) read. I have dabbled minimally with affiliate marketing so already knew a little bit. Even so,I found the book useful. The author lays out what does seem to be a fairly realistic 7-day plan, which is also very helpful. These features earned the book 3 stars.

What kept the book from earning stars 4 and 5 is, well, the brevity of the book. It is generally light on content (no depth). I assume the author has some experience with affiliate marketing, but it is hard to tell if that is just an assumption. Unless I missed it, the author never refers to personal experience, and there are no references to sites that she has created or how successful(or not) they've been. For newbies, some concrete sample websites would be really helpful. Illustrations would also have been very helpful, but there are none to be found, and most topics have few if any concrete examples.

Finishing the book and reading more about the author, I really got the impression that her specialty is not affiliate marketing but rather cranking out cheap ebooks. Even if that is true, there is some good material to get newbies pointed in the right direction. Just plan on adding other books or research on your list to flesh out what you'll need to know to become a successful affiliate marketer.

Timex Women's T5K459 1440 Sports Digital Silver/Translucent Purple Resin Strap Watch
Price: $15.96
9 used & new from $15.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this, July 24, 2014
This watch is a terrific deal. I've now purchased 3 of them for my 7, 9, and 10 year-old daughters, and they all absolutely love them. Typical Timex quality - durable, great design, keeps fantastic time, and plenty of features. My girls play hard in the water and on land. Their watches have (okay, you know the tagline) "take a licking and keep on ticking" - and they look great the whole time, too. Hard to go wrong with this watch, especially at Amazon's price.

Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tablet, July 24, 2014
I've not bought 2 refurbished Kindle Fire HD 7" tablets along with 3 that were brand new. They are all still working like a champ after daily use for countless months. This size tablet is really geared toward content consumption - reading, watching videos, listening to music, reading emails, checking the weather, etc. (though my daughters have written multiple school papers on their as well using a Bluetooth keyboard). Given this type of usage, I believe that this tablet remains one of the best values on the market. I actually have 7 different 7" tablets in my home right now that I am evaluating. All are 2014 models that cost more than the Kindle Fire HD, but the Fire HD is my overall favorite among them.

Pros:
* microHDMI port for fast, easy, foolproof connections to a monitor or TV
* Great integration with the Amazon.com ecosystem (media & shopping)
* Great quality, and Amazon has proven very helpful with any & every issue
* Best speakers to be found on a tablet right now
* Kindle Offers - about once a month Amazon offers a crazy good deal on an item. Past items have included a portable hard drive, a Sandisk Extreme SSD drive, a juicer, etc. These deals are only for Kindle Fire HD owners.
* Fantastic screen quality
* Front-facing camera is decent in good light
* Good battery life

I only have 3 gripes with this tablet:
* It is a bit heavy compared to newer 7" tablets.
* No rear-facing camera (but the newer 7" Kindle Fire HD and HDX tablets don't have *any* cameras)
* Modified Android OS means no Google Play store integration and loss of some other stock Android features (though it is possible to side load apps that are not available on the Amazon app store).

Amazon helped create the market for 7" tablets, and the Kindle Fire HD (previous generation) amazingly still ranks as one of the best available, especially at this price point. If you want access to full Android and the Google Play Store and/or a rear-facing camera, the Hisense Pro 7 is an excellent option right now for budget shoppers (I don't usually recommend off-brand equipment, but this is one has great specs for the price and works well).

Electric Shaved Ice Machine by Hawaiian Shaved Ice #S900a
Electric Shaved Ice Machine by Hawaiian Shaved Ice #S900a
Offered by Hawaiian Shaved Ice
Price: $27.95
3 used & new from $26.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this, July 24, 2014
We've had our shaved ice machine for about a month now and have been enjoying it weekly. It is smaller than I expected, and its capacity is less than I had hoped, but I do appreciate that, due to its size, it is so easy to clean & put away. More importantly, it puts out great shaved ice! It really is like fluffy snow.

My only real complaint - and the reason I've docked 1 star - is that it does not seem to do a great job shaving all of the ice. I generally use the trays to make the circles of ice, but I cannot get the machine to shave the last 1/2" - 3/4" of the ice patty. This is not a huge deal, but since I can only make 2 of the ice patties at a time (the machine comes with 2 ice trays), it would be nice to be able to use them all the way up.

I managed to pick up a couple of 1 gallon jugs of shaved ice syrup at a local restaurant supply store for around $6 each -- HUGE savings! Usually these stores require a business or non-profit license to enter the store, but they let me in anyway. Worth a try if you want to save a bundle on syrup as that stuff can really add up fast!

One quick flavoring suggestion... We've discovered that flavored coffee creamer tastes awesome on shaved ice! Our favorite is Coconut Cream, which we usually pour over the shaved ice along with one or more syrups. Makes a fun, delicious snack that is perfect for summer evenings.

The Princess Diaries: Two-Movie Collection (Three-Disc Combo Blu-ray/DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging)
DVD ~ Julie Andrews
Price: $14.96
32 used & new from $12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean AND Fun, July 24, 2014
Good, clean family movies are hard to come by. Ones that meet that criteria and are actually fun to watch are even more rare. The Princess Diaries manages to do this. The fact that it features two major stars that are so well cast is icing on the cake. I have four daughters ages 7-12. They've watched both movies probably 2 dozen times and still enjoy pulling these out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10