Profile for William M. Sweet > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

William M. Sweet "korngames" RSS Feed (Marietta, Ga. USA)

Fortune Street
Fortune Street
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $19.75
72 used & new from $11.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent multiplayer game, December 12, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fortune Street (Video Game)
As everyone has said, Fortune Street is not like Mario Party. It is closer to Monopoly, with the added ability to purchase stock in various districts. If you think someone is about to do some major upgrades to their property, make sure you buy some shares beforehand, so you can make money from their work and expenditures. There are bonuses and minigames that add to the fun. I usually get dominated by the computer, but maybe I just need more experience. Online multiplayer is solid, and it is fun to know that you are playing with people from all over the world. (sometimes their name is in Japanese) You can also play with your friends, by trading your friend code. There is a tutorial level that takes about 20-25 minutes to beat, and it teaches you everything. I had no difficulty jumping into the game after playing the tutorial. The levels are a mix of Dragon Quest and Mario environments, divided accordingly. I would recommend the game for anyone eight years old and up, because it does involve a bit of thinking. There is an easier mode for beginners, but I skipped it. I think it removes the districts, so there is no stock option. If you are looking for a new addition to your family game night, this is one worth picking up.

Parents shouldn't worry about their children getting online to play this one, because the only interaction the players have is through a set of emoticons. (smiley faces) Send them a thumbs up when they make a mistake that works in your favor.

Bottom line: This game offers limitless replay value, because every game session is different. Buy it.

Gerber 31-000751 Bear Grylls Survival Series Ultimate Knife, Serrated Edge
Gerber 31-000751 Bear Grylls Survival Series Ultimate Knife, Serrated Edge
Offered by footstompinmark
Price: $31.55
146 used & new from $30.29

5.0 out of 5 stars I challenge you to find a more complete knife for this price!, November 8, 2010
I received this knife in the mail today. Upon first glance of the package, you'll see a picture of Bear Grylls, looking like he's taking a dump. I can't say that I am the biggest fan, but I do believe that he has teamed with Gerber (Guubah, as he would say it) to produce an incredible knife. Onward with my review:

This knife is full-tang, so you are purchasing a solid piece of steel. On some knives, you get a feeling of top-heaviness, because the blade stops at or near the base of the handle. You won't experience this with this knife. It feels perfectly weighted, and my hand feels very comfortable gripping it. The handle is rubberized, which some are going to scoff at, but I disagree with them. I guarantee when you are in a mess of a mess, this knife isn't going to slide out of your hand. The handle has two holes in the neck, that will allow you to attach the knife to a stick to make a spear. If you are reduced to hunting for your food, a spear can be an invaluable tool in the pursuit of survival. The butt of the handle is a stainless steel pommel, which is ideal for hammering. It has a patterned design, similar to a real hammer. This handle will come in handy whenever blunt-force is needed. People are going to complain about the colors, but I think when it comes to smaller items like knives, you want to be able to locate them, so the bright color doesn't bother me. If I drop an all black knife in the middle of the night in the woods, I'm not finding it until the next day. If I was in a military situation, of course I'd want a different color, but I'd also be using a different knife. I don't think the NCO's will be too happy when you put this orange thing on your MOLLE gear. You could always wrap the handle in paracord, I suppose.

The blade is half-serrated, so it is like having two different blade styles within a single knife. There are many "experts" that say a serrated blade has no business in a survival situation, but I don't think they are looking at all the scenarios that you could get into. In general, the serrated edge will work better than the plain edge for slicing cuts, especially through hard or tough surfaces, where the serrations tend to grab and cut the surface easily. Some of the cutting power of the serrated edge is due to its format alone; thus, even a dull serrated edge knife will often perform competently at slicing jobs. The serrated edge gets its slicing ability from a number of factors. The high points on the serrations will touch the material first, and this gives those points higher pressure per area than if the same pressure was applied to a plain blade; this allows the serration to puncture more easily. In addition, serrations are normally chisel-ground into the blade, which means they are thinner (and thus cut better) than the comparable plain blade.

The plain edge will work better for applications like shaving, skinning an apple, skinning a deer. All those applications involve either mostly push cuts, or the need for extreme control. Serrations work really well on things like tough rope or wood, where the serrations bite through quickly. Generally, the more push cuts are used, the more necessary it is for the plain edge to have a "razor polished" edge. A knife edge becomes more polished when you move to higher and higher grit stones. Generally, 1200-grit is considered polished; a 6000+ grit Japanese water stone would polish the edge further.

One interesting case is cutting a tomato. In theory, you can just push a blade through a tomato, so a razor polished plain edge would work fine. However, the tomato is soft, and unless your plain edge knife is very sharp, the tomato will simply squish when you start pushing. You can (and many people do) use a slicing motion with your plain blade, but if it's even a little dull it won't cut well and it may not even break the skin. Use a sawing motion with a serrated knife (even a dull one), and your tomato will slice fine.

Alas, if you demand a plain edge, I've read that a Gerber is releasing a plain edge version of this knife in February of 2011, when all of the other products are released. Don't quote me on that one, though. I suggest purchasing this knife, and having the best of both worlds.

Now to discuss the accessories that come with the Ultimate Knife. The knife has an emergency whistle attached by a lanyard. The whistle is seems fairly loud indoors, but in a true survival situation, you want to be heard from as far away as possible. I suggest removing this knife and replacing it with JetScream Whistle by Ultimate Survival Technologies which comes in an orange color that is identical to the one attached to the knife. I own the Jetscream, and it is deafening loud!

The rest of the accessories are attached to the sheath, so I suppose that is what I'll describe next. The sheath is rubberized, and consists of hardened plastic and metal. The back of the sheath is made out of fabric, and it doesn't feel like it will tear easily. There are three different places on the back that can be used to attach the knife to your gear or person. The sheath has a piece of firesteel that detaches from the front, which is obviously used to start a fire. If you have never used firesteel before, I suggest picking some up, you'll feel empowered when you start a fire without using matches or a lighter. The blade has a small, unfinished spot on it that is used for striking against the firesteel. When you undo the Velcro from the sheath, it unfolds to a sharpening stone for the blade. I know there are better stones for sharpening a blade, but in a survival environment, this will suffice. On the back of the sheath, is a rescue signal chart, for signaling any aircraft that passes. The knife also comes with a fold-out survival guide, that was written by Bear Grylls. They could have just slapped whatever they wanted on a piece of paper, but Grylls himself took the time to write the survival guide, which despite my views of the man, was a nice touch. The survival guide isn't too detailed, but if you stare long enough at the pictures, you'll understand what they mean.

If you are looking for a multi-purpose knife, but don't feel like breaking the bank, I suggest purchasing the Ultimate Knife. I don't think you'll find a better knife for the price, and I think that Gerber was able to meet such a remarkable price point because they know they'll sell thousands of these things over the next few years. I'm going camping in December, and I'll be sure to update my review with a field test.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2011 4:31 PM PST

Long Live the Kings
Long Live the Kings
Offered by RYU'SHOP
Price: $12.49
44 used & new from $3.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Back again, but hey, they never even left., April 24, 2010
This review is from: Long Live the Kings (Audio CD)
The Kottonmouth Kings have definitely etched their place in history with this monumental album. As always, the album is pure Rip Hop, a blend of Hip Hop and Punk Rock. This album brings an incredible addition to the mix: The Dirtball has officially become a member of the Kings. He's been a solid performer on Subnoize for several years, but a lot of his work still goes without recognition, until now. His flows are so clean, that you'd have thought he was always one of the Kings. I've been a fan of his ever since I heard him on Tech N9ne's "Paint A Dark Picture." That song turned me onto his solo albums, and I suggest checking them out, the guy has real talent. His sound is a refreshing one, getting more and more technical with his flows as he matures as an artist. Aside from The Dirtball, the rest of the group are still bringing the fire with every verse. I can't say that I have a favorite song, but I have definitely been blasting the title track "Long Live The Kings" everywhere I go. Long Live the Kings has some of the hardest hitting tracks to date, from the band at the forefront of the legalization movement. No matter what genre you prefer, this album is guaranteed to have something you'll nod your head to. We can't call their music "underground" for much longer, because soon it will rise up and destroy the mainstream! LONG LIVE THE KOTTONMOUTH KINGS!

New World Orphans
New World Orphans
Price: $11.99
51 used & new from $3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The leaders of the truth movement have done it again!, January 13, 2009
This review is from: New World Orphans (Audio CD)
(Hed) P.E. has done it yet again, with the release of their latest album, "New World Orphans." I've been a fan of this band for several years now, and they never let me down. M.C.U.D. has set his band on a mission to let the world know what is going on behind the scenes. He wants us to open our eyes, and not just blindly accept the answers we've always been told. Every track on this album hits hard, my current favorite track would have to be "Stay Ready," which features Subnoize rapper "The Dirtball." This album definitely has influences from all of their previous releases. The single from the album, "Renegade" is a hard hitting track, and I guarantee someone is going to be hit even harder, when they get knocked out in the pit during this song. Take a 5 minute trip over to Youtube to check the official video. There are actually three different versions of this album. Each version has a different cover and artwork, as well as different bonus tracks. They went all out on this album, but I never expected any less than the best. There are Also guest appearances from KMK, Tech N9ne, Potluck, and Big B. With music like this to start off the new year, 2009 is already looking to be a great year. I would give this album a rating of 6 stars if Amazon would let me. There will always be someone who gives a negative review of this album, but hey Jared doesn't want those Emo kids listening to his music anyways...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2009 11:14 AM PDT

Green Album
Green Album
Price: $15.84
53 used & new from $3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great KMK album for my music library, November 26, 2008
This review is from: Green Album (Audio CD)
On other KMK albums, there are always tracks that I skip, because they aren't very good. Those albums are still good, but they kinda feel like they have select tracks that are just there to fill space on the album. This album is great from start to finish. My favorite song would have to be "Pack Ur Bowls," which is guaranteed to become the stoner anthem for the next decade. My second favorite track would have to be "Sex Toy," which features a guest appearance from none other than the Tecca Nina himself. Obviously I'd recommend this album for anyone who is a fan of KMK. Also I'd recommend this album for anyone looking for something different when it comes to Hip-Hop and Punk Rock. This album mainly sticks to the Hip-Hop side of things, but there are also several tracks that are very mellow, that you can just listen to and vibe out for a little while. If anyone is interested, check out the music video for the single, "Where I'm Going," on Youtube, or any other major video network. You won't be disappointed with this album. Support Radical Habits.

Vitiligo
Vitiligo
Offered by insomniacsonline
Price: $6.50
41 used & new from $4.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Bow down to the masters, May 11, 2008
This review is from: Vitiligo (Audio CD)
Big Krizz Kaliko rips it up on this album! The name of the albums says it all. He took something that bothered him in his youth, and instead of running from it, he CLAIMED it. I really though that was deep. Kaliko, if you are reading this, I thank you for giving me another reason to bump my stereo at full blast! I really don't understand though: Why aren't more people buying albums from Strange Music? These dudes are undoubtedly the hardest rappers on the scene. Krizz, Nina, S-Man & Snug, Kutt Calhoun, you all dominate the mic. Keep it up, and I hope to see you on tour in Atlanta when I come back to the U.S.

TO STRANGE MUSIC: PUT "KILLER" UP FOR PRE-ORDER!!!

Fidelity FDS-C-Instant Theater Docking Station for Aiptek Camcorders
Fidelity FDS-C-Instant Theater Docking Station for Aiptek Camcorders
Offered by GOLOco
Price: $11.99
6 used & new from $9.21

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, February 7, 2008
I got this as a bonus when I purchased an Aiptek camera. This thing truly is a piece of garbage. The clarity of the audio is horrible. It seems like it is pushing way too much power through a tiny speaker. It sounded broken straight out of the box. The dock on top is useless, because it offers no way to charge your camera. It has a small lead-in, where you can feed the power adapter from your own charging cable, but it is really just a big hassle. I haven't touched it since I first tried it, and I would have returned it if I didn't get it for free. I don't even think it deserves a single star.

Aiptek GO-HD High Definition 720p Camcorder with 3x Optical Zoom
Aiptek GO-HD High Definition 720p Camcorder with 3x Optical Zoom

1.0 out of 5 stars I BABIED THIS CAMERA, AND IT STILL BROKE., August 16, 2007
After not even a week of using the camera, the backlight on the lcd would come on, but the camera would not start up. I'm normally a fan of Aiptek products, but after seeing that this isn't the first time this has happened to someone, never again will I buy Aiptek. Total garbage.

Save Me from Myself: How I Found God, Quit Korn, Kicked Drugs, and Lived to Tell My Story
by Brian Welch
82 used & new from $0.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I understand, July 5, 2007
I now understand why Head left the band. All this time, we had nothing to go on but what the media had to say, and a few interviews. They still left me feeling a little discouraged as to why one of my idols would just drop off the face of the planet. This book definitely puts Head's Korn experience into perspective. Although I'd like to see him reunite with the band, sober of course, this confirms it will never happen. The book becomes very hard to put down once you've started, especially since I'm a Korn fan. I recommend this book not only to Korn fans, but to people who want to see real life experiences that prove there is always something more out there.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2012 11:21 PM PDT