Profile for Moira French > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Moira French RSS Feed (Marietta, Georgia)

New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America
New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America
by Burton W. Folsom
Price: $11.61
143 used & new from $0.17

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST book on the Depression, bar none., December 1, 2013
This is a FANTASTIC book! In every book I read, all I want is clarity. Although this is a difficult subject, every page of this book was understandable, made sense, and contributed immensely to my understanding of the Depression. I borrowed it from the library but bought it from Amazon, read it again, and got my husband to read it. I had read Jim Powell's book, and also The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes, both of which were good, but this was the book that truly gave me a complete understanding and answered all my questions - meaning, I can now discuss this subject with anyone and hold up my end of the argument very well.

Southern Vapors
Southern Vapors
by Lynn Garson
Price: $13.42
20 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars What a terrific book!, October 7, 2012
This review is from: Southern Vapors (Paperback)
I usually read between 50 and 80 books a year, choosing them carefully and reading them slowly so I can savor them. Southern Vapors is one of the most original, keep-me-on-my-toes books I ever came across, anywhere. It took me 3 weeks to finish it because I had to read it in little bites. The mark of a really good writer is to convey concepts and ideas that aren't tired and overworked and to do it in a way that the words, the ideas, the imagery, and the originality flick themselves into your brain and pummel the sides to force you to expand to make room for them. I found myself frequently reading the same sentence over and over to extract all its meaning and imagery. This book was so different it was almost like reading English in a foreign language. No question Lynn Garson is really, really smart and has an almost unbelievable ability to put things into words. That in itself was quite a treat. But quite apart from all that, the story itself was fascinating. Fascinating, revealing, deep, raw, true. And I LOVED the ending. No disappointment or let-down there. And I have to say that as much as I enjoyed the actual reading of the book, it was the ending that stayed with me for days after I finished and gave me plenty to think about and ponder over. You may want to buy Southern Vapors for all your girl friends and then go away for a weekend so you can all talk about it!

'Tiddlywinks' Dwarf Mountain Laurel - Kalmia - Very Hardy - 4" Pot
'Tiddlywinks' Dwarf Mountain Laurel - Kalmia - Very Hardy - 4" Pot

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect little plants, June 21, 2012
I bought 3 Tiddly Winks and 2 Olympic Fires from this vendor. I had been wanting mountains laurels but didn't want to pay a lot for them, so I opted for these because the price was what I wanted to pay. They arrived in perfect condition, have been in the ground for several months, and are doing just great.

Toro 51599 Ultra 12 amp Variable-Speed Electric Blower/Vacuum with Metal Impeller (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by DropAir
Price: $132.99
2 used & new from $62.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is perfect for what I needed it for, June 21, 2012
I have a pool surrounded by flowers and plants, with a deck above it with lots of vines and potted plants. Every 3 days, the pool deck is littered with petals and leaves. I don't like asking my husband to blow everything off because he already has plenty to do, so I opted for this blower and vacuum, based on all the reviews I read. I'm totally satisfied with it. It blows just great - plenty of strength, but you can lower the power level, too, which is helpful. I find it best to blow everything into one or two places and then pick it all up with the vacuum. Being a bit mechanically challenged it has taken me a while to remember how to take the blower part off and put the vacuum part on but as long as I have the instruction sheet near me, I do just fine. You need a long extension cord if you have a large area.

Olympus VG-160 14MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Black) (Old Model)
Olympus VG-160 14MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Black) (Old Model)
Offered by Electronics Club
Price: $99.00
6 used & new from $75.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for an inexpensive camera, June 20, 2012
This camera's photos are 3 megabytes on the default setting, which means they are very clear but to post them on Facebook you have to re-size them. My first attempts at re-sizing produced fuzzy photos but I finally figured out how to re-size easily - open the photo with Paint, and resize down to 1200 x 800. Once I figured that out, the photos I put on Facebook were much sharper. I experimented a lot taking pictures in every type of light and found that using the Automatic settings seems to work best in 95% of situations. However, for taking photos of flowers close up, I use Program, Super Macro and they are truly superb. I have no complaints. Now, I paid less than $80 for this camera, and I'm sure a better camera would take better photos. BUT, I have to say that it is really perfectly adequate for my needs. Just be sure and read the manual because there are settings you can use for the beach, snow, night time, moving objects, low light, etc. and you'll get more out of the camera if you are familiar with the different settings.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2013 1:41 PM PDT

My Life as a Squint-eyed Chink
My Life as a Squint-eyed Chink
by Zak Keith
Price: $22.46
27 used & new from $22.45

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing story, May 28, 2010
I hate finishing a good book. Now begins the search for another one equally engaging, intriguing, informative and humorous. What I love about good books is that they introduce you to a world you never knew existed, or at very least know only peripherally. And you come away with many questions and so much richer from the experience. Books truly expand your horizons and this one expanded mine exponentially. I have lived in fourteen countries and traveled in 44, including Singapore, and yet this gave me insight I never had while I was there.

My biggest question is how can someone write so graphically, so lucidly, with such a terrific vocabulary, who never attended school? (And once you have read this book, there will be no doubt in your mind that this author didn't spend much time in school). When you put all the pieces together you realize this guy is probably as close to a genius as you are ever likely to meet. And a very humble genius, too. His ability to pull cogent thoughts from the deepest recesses of his heart and mind and turn them into a mouth-watering literary delicacy is quite astounding.

Who will particularly love this book? My guess is that in backpackers' haunts all over the world, a common question will be, "Read Squint-Eyed Chink yet? It's a good one."

And of course anyone who considers themselves to be western who is living their life inside an Asian body is going to nod their head on every page as Zak puts their experience into words.

But really, anyone who loves getting out of themselves and learning something new is going to laugh and cry and wonder reading this book. And the predominant feeling you'll be left with is that some people with great handicaps survive, thrive and find peace. The world is full of amazing people and Zak Keith is definitely one of them. I highly recommend this book.

Going Rogue: An American Life
Going Rogue: An American Life
by Sarah Palin
Price: $5.98
1929 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you know anyone else with guts like this?, December 27, 2009
Just finished reading "Going Rogue." Every patriotic American will love this book. When was the last time a politician was this honest, this forthright, this determined to shake things up? Ronald Reagan, maybe? How odd that Obama ran and won hammering the change theme, when Sarah Palin had already changed everything in Alaska once she became governor, AND kept an approval rating in the high 80s? I shouted with pure delight when I read how she stood up to Exxon-Mobil. And I chuckled at how plain and simple and unspoiled she is. No wonder John McCain's campaign staff tried so hard to control her and limit her appearances. They were scared to death that she would completely upstage their spineless mouse (although I thank McCain sincerely for finally standing up and speaking out recently. Better late than never). And no wonder liberals hate her so much. She's the REAL DEAL. I have often thought that our ONLY hope is for someone to be elected who would not be afraid to take on the special interests, lobbyists and corrupt politicians holding "we the people" and Washington hostage. Having read this book, there is no doubt in my mind that Sarah Palin would take on the task with relish.

Sh-Mop Hardsurface Floor Mop
Sh-Mop Hardsurface Floor Mop
Offered by For Your Water
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I could hug the guy who invented this!, June 8, 2008
Just before Christmas 2007, I was desperate to find a way to get my large tile kitchen floor clean without dreading the job. I did a lot of internet research and settled on the Hoover Flair to first vacuum up all the dirt.

But then I had to find a way to mop it. The last thing I wanted was to have to go to Wal-Mart to buy chemical-filled refills of some product. I just wanted to use a mop and water. Goodness, on a scale of 1-10, the Sh-Mop is about a 50. I absolutely LOVE it. I simply put hot water and a little Simple Green in a clean bowl in the sink, put in the cloth, wring it out, place it on the Sh-Mop, and off I go. It fits under the fridge and every protruding ledge. As soon as it gets a little dirty, I throw it in the washing machine and grab the next cloth. It takes about 5 to do my large kitchen floor. No more rinsing a dirty mop in dirty water and hoping to get your dirty floor clean. You are constantly applying a fresh, clean cloth and the floor really shows it.

The thing I like best is that if you clean your house for a party, and after the party the floor is already starting to look dirty again, you just grab that Sh-Mop and 3 minutes later you have a clean floor again. It's so EASY! You can just use plain hot water! BUT, it does help to vacuum first to get up the particles of dirt, and for that I strongly recommend the Hoover Flair. These two are perfect when used in combination with each other.

The bottom line is this: 6 months ago I DREADED washing my kitchen floor. I haven't dreaded it since using the Flair and the Sh-Mop. Not at all.

Hoover Flair Bagless Upright Stick Vacuum with Power Nozzle, S2220
Hoover Flair Bagless Upright Stick Vacuum with Power Nozzle, S2220

5.0 out of 5 stars Been using this for 6 months and I give it an A+, June 8, 2008
I was desperate for an easy way to clean my large tile kitchen floor before Christmas 2007. I did a LOT of research on the internet and I ended up buying the Hoover Flair and the Sh-Mop. (See my Amazon.com review for the Sh-Mop). It's now June and I could not be more pleased with this system. I keep the Flair clean - every third time, I simply remove the cup that collects the dirt, and wash it and the filter. This keeps the suction strong. With six kids, four cats and a husband constantly trekking in dirt, I had to have a system that works, and this one is just terrific, in my opinion. I like the power of an electric vaccum as opposed to a battery operated, I like the maneuverability, and I like the way it's small enough to get under ledges jutting out. It's just great and for all you ladies out there who dread cleaning your kitchen floor, this system took the dread out of it for me. BUT, the other half is cleaning it with the Sh-Mop. So please go read that review now. You need both to get the floor clean.