Profile for book junkie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 261

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

book junkie RSS Feed (Alabama)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Naturalizer Women's Kyndell Ballet Flat
Naturalizer Women's Kyndell Ballet Flat
Price: $69.73 - $79.95

3.0 out of 5 stars and they were comfortable, but too narrow, April 17, 2015
These are very cute, and they were comfortable, but too narrow. I ordered my normal size (6.5 wide) and they were much too narrow. They fit like a 6.5 regular width normally does.

10 Things Jesus Never Said: And Why You Should Stop Believing Them
10 Things Jesus Never Said: And Why You Should Stop Believing Them
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, April 17, 2015
I bought this for a friend and liked it so much that I bought myself a copy. It was an excellent read

Neutrogena Cool Dry Sport Sunscreen Spray, SPF 30, 5.5 Ounce
Neutrogena Cool Dry Sport Sunscreen Spray, SPF 30, 5.5 Ounce
Price: $8.97
9 used & new from $8.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best I've ever used, April 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My kids didn't like this spray as it came out of the can much colder than our usual brand. That sounds refreshing but it made them scream and squirm which didn't help in applying it correctly. It also didn't have a very wide spray path- I missed spots (my oldest has stripes on his back- oops!) I didn't burn their faces though, and where we sprayed it, it prevented sunburn. I wouldn't buy it again though.

Gwendolen: A Novel
Gwendolen: A Novel
by Diana Souhami
Price: $12.97
73 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish it., April 16, 2015
This review is from: Gwendolen: A Novel (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Gwendolyn is written as a letter to her lover of the story of her tragic life. Unfortunately, Gwendolyn might be the most annoying heroine I have ever read. I simply can't stand her. She is the shallowest, whiniest, most self absorbed woman, and I can't make myself read any more of this book. I know something awful is going to happen and at this point I rather feel she deserves it. I feel a little guilty about reviewing a book I haven't finished, but I'm convinced that halfway through is enough reading to convince me that pretty much nothing could happen in this novel after this point that would make me like it.

The Opposite of Spoiled: Raising Kids Who Are Grounded, Generous, and Smart About Money
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, April 6, 2015
As a financial advisor I know how important it is to talk to kids about money- I have seen what happens when you don't. Although I know it is important, no one ever talked to me about this stuff and I wasn't sure what to say or how much to disclose. I know how to respond to "what is a 401-K?" but had no idea how to respond to "How much money do you make?" This book also addresses the dilemma of knowing what not to buy them and how to explain why you won't- even though you could.

This book deals more with concepts and why you should discuss things with your kids and actually doesn't go much into technical concepts. In other words, it doesn't tell you how to explain investments, retirement plans, compound interest, tax deductions, etc. It DOES tell you why you should explain your family's financial situation and the importance of explaining why you make the financial choices that you do. It also focuses mainly on affluent parents, which is what I had expected based on the title.

This book has changed my mind about a lot of issues regarding our kids and our finances. I read a lot of financial books- both to educate myself and to recommend to clients. This is the 5th or 6th I have read on this subject and is by far the best. I will be recommending this to my friends and clients.

Simple Lessons for A Better Life: Unexpected Inspiration from Inside the Nursing Home
by Charles E. Dodgen
Price: $14.23
47 used & new from $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, March 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was expecting an inspiring and easy to read book with nuggets of wisdom from elderly people in nursing homes who had lived their lives well. This book was completely different from my expectations. This is an extremely scholarly book that I'm not sure was written for the general public. It was written in very complex language- here is a sample sentence: "Although the changes Mario made could not realistically have resulted in complete restoration of his brain functioning, they were successful in reducing excessive mental disability resulting from intellectual and emotional deprivation." While I'm sure this sort of language makes for great case notes to another psychologist, it didn't make for easy or enjoyable reading for me. In addition, the cases the author presented were generally quite depressing. The lessons in the book were very good and helpful to me, but I think there are a lot of readers who will not be willing to wade through the language in this book to get to the wisdom it provides.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2015 2:38 PM PDT

A Fireproof Home for the Bride: A Novel
A Fireproof Home for the Bride: A Novel
by Amy Scheibe
Price: $19.88
59 used & new from $12.19

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT a coming of age novel..., February 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Emmy Nelson feels trapped in her life- she has been engaged for years to a farmer in her strictly religous community but feels powerless to stop the momentum of a life going in the wrong direction. Only a shocking encounter with her fiance convinces her that she can change her own destiny.

The back of the book makes this seem like a "Coming of Age" novel, but it turnes into a mystery/romance sort of novel, with tons of other issues thrown in. The novel includes secret political plots, the KKK, family secrets, corrupt religous leaders and more. Too many themes make this novel disjointed and it comes off without the feel of a period novel. The story line is improbable, and the adventure bit at the end was perhaps the most far-fetched I have ever read (and I read a lot). The book tried to cover far too many issues, and neglected the one on the cover- namely Emmy seemed to have no problem whatever adapting to a very different life. Disappointing.

Jonathan Adler Jaipur Arrows  Cover - Orange (Fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle & Kindle Touch)
Jonathan Adler Jaipur Arrows Cover - Orange (Fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle & Kindle Touch)
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cover, February 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This pattern of this cover is really pretty- and easy to spot when I am looking for it. Its durable, and wipes clean easily, and functions well. I recommend it!

The Book of Jonah: A Novel
The Book of Jonah: A Novel
by Joshua Max Feldman
Price: $20.97
107 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Hated it, February 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Joshua is a lawyer about to make partner is a big firm in New York City. He is engaged to be married to a beautiful woman with a career as impressive as his own, with a sexy Jewish girl on the side. He has a bizarre vision at a party, and his life careens wildly off the rails.

I hated this book. I will concede that the writing was good, but the plot was all over the place- I kept thinking that this was one of those books that didn't make any sense in the middle and then gets all nicely tied together at the end- but no such luck. In fact at the end of the book, I'm not sure what the point of the whole thing was. And if you are thinking this book is similar to the real book of Joshua in the Bible, stop thinking that. There are few similarities, and the chapter titles tried to make it follow the Biblical story more than it did.

I will say, this just may not have been my sort of book- I like a great story. I expect entertainment out of books, and I expect them to make sense, or leave me wondering about something or to make me smile or cry or laugh, or convey an interesting idea. This falls under the category of "ambitious". Other than being written well, I have no idea what this book was about.

The Book (NLT)
The Book (NLT)
by Tyndale
Price: $13.27
147 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars SO Much Easier!, February 18, 2015
This review is from: The Book (NLT) (Paperback)
I decided to read the Bible in a year- (There are lots of schedules all over the internet to help you accomplish this) I have a couple different translations, and I was reading another one till I got to Leviticus, and I got so frustrated I didn't think I was going to be able to finish- at least not without skipping around. I picked up this version and it was SO MUCH EASIER! I might use some other translations or study features of the other Bibles at some point, but for the difficult books in the Old Testament, I will definately be using this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20