Profile for Andrew M. Gore > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Andrew M. Gore "andrewgore" RSS Feed (NW Suburbs, IL)

Jessup Skateboard Grip Tape Sheet (9-Inch x 33-Inch)
Jessup Skateboard Grip Tape Sheet (9-Inch x 33-Inch)
Offered by TGM Skateboards
Price: $6.75
8 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Jessup is THE Grip tape to skate., April 21, 2014
This is THE best grip tape out there. Applies great. Great grip. Lasts a long time. What more can you ask for?

Buy it, skate it, love it.

Threat High Voltage Skateboard Deck (Blue, 8-Inch)
Threat High Voltage Skateboard Deck (Blue, 8-Inch)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great shape, but questionable durability., April 21, 2014
I setup this deck the day it came in as I was quite anxious to replace an old blank deck. Straight to the local skatepark (which is nothing more than a concrete slab w\ a small ledge & some in ground flat bars) for some evening skating. I was really enjoying the board until about an hour or so in, I landed a heelflip off the ledge a bit too far back on the tail. Slight cracking noise, and the tail went noticeably limp. The only crack visible is right in front of the rear trucks and only visible in the middle of the board. It's my fault for landing wrong, but for how early on in the boards life, a little bit upsetting. I've ordered another Threat deck to see if I end up in the same situation.

Notes about the board itself:
Threat is ZERO's "price point" brand. AKA Made in China with US Maple. The shape is the best part about it. Nose is slightly longer than the tail, and at an ever so slightly steeper angle. Concave is more on the mellow side (especially compared to something like ALMOST or REAL decks). It's a tad more concave than a Skatewarehouse blank, but not by much.

Love the shape, let's see now if the next one has a bit better.

About me\My Skating:
I was active in skating 1998-2004 or so. I got back into skating regularly last year as a way to get some exercise, and see what I was still capable of on a skateboard. At 28 years old now, I avoid drops\stairs\handrails that were once commonplace. I enjoy learning new flat ground tricks, improving technique, and playing games of SKATE.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars If you feel like wasting $20, buy this light kit., January 25, 2014
I thought I'd be different than every other review. I figured this isn't my first trip to the trailer lighting rodeo, what could be so bad. T a couple wires and bam I'd be up and running. When wired in standard configuration, the standard running lights don't operate. Yes you get lights when you hit the brakes, or use a signal, but no low light running light.

I figured maybe someone got the brown and white mixed up for power/ground, so I tried wiring up in that configuration. I resulted in the brake lights constantly on and only tiny bit of lights when you hit the brake pedal.

Not only that, but when you use a turn signal, the opposite light will also flicker slightly.

Long story short, I'd have been better off burning a $20 bill than buying these lights.

DC Men's Pure SE Action Sports Shoe,Black Camo,13 M US
DC Men's Pure SE Action Sports Shoe,Black Camo,13 M US

4.0 out of 5 stars Great DC Shoe, October 18, 2013
They're a good fitting shoe. On par with other DC Shoes. Properly spacious in the toe. They're a rather heavy shoe though. Probably close to 1.5-2x the weight of the DC Factory Lite shoes. Not a major issue though.

I haven't skated in them, so I've no idea how long they'll actually last, but for the price, I'm ok if they only last 1-2 months.

[2014 Latest] Esky EP-300R-B1 UP to 300M Range Rechargeable LCD Remote Shock Control Pet Dog Training Collar with 100 Level of Vibration+ 100 Level of Static Shock+ Tone For 15-120lb Dog
Offered by Hisgadget Inc
Price: $45.99
3 used & new from $44.16

2.0 out of 5 stars Works, but sluggish and audible alarm is so/so, October 3, 2013
I broke the controller on my dogs last shock collar, so picked this up as a replacement. Here is the straight skinny on it:

Shock works just fine (I test on my hand and feel the shock).
Audible Beep works, but sounds more like a blown car speaker than a crisp BEEEEP.
Vibrate works, but I've never had my dog respond to vibrate, so it's rather moot.

Collar & Controller both go into sleep mode too quickly & do NOT wake up quickly enough. The controller requires 5-10 seconds of holding a button to wake it up, which is somewhat tolerable, but it seems the collar will not always wake up with my dog.

The audible Beep is much different than any other collar I have used and as such, my dog is more or less confused by it. I can't fault this collar for that, but the reality is that it sounds....well....broken\wrong.

Range is questionable as well. My old collar, my dog could be just about anywhere and still would respond to the audible beep of her old collar. This new one, I don't feel transmits it's communication very well.

Long story short, save your 35-40$ & get a better unit.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2013 2:54 AM PDT

First Degree Fitness PACIFIC Challenge AR Adjustable Resistance Fluid Rower
First Degree Fitness PACIFIC Challenge AR Adjustable Resistance Fluid Rower
Offered by DYNAMIC FITNESS
Price: $765.00
4 used & new from $765.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Rower is good for working out, comparing rowing times with friends....not so much., March 9, 2013
Pros:
Easy assembly.
Water swooshing is rather soothing.
Good workout, especially when on the hardest resistance setting.

Cons:
Computer directions leave a bit to be desired.
Very difficult to compare times to Concept 2 rower.
Heel cups come out of their mount while rowing (solved with some cardboard).

I got this rower (albeit the red colored one) as it was cheaper than my friends Concept 2 rower and I wanted to compare the water rowing to the fan rowers. I've been overall pleased with the machine. The motion feels smooth, the water swooshing is relaxing (keeps your mind off your body aching). If you're getting this machine to get a good workout, it's great. If you want to use it to compare with your friends using other machines, so far I've found it a total pain in the rear.

My wife & I both found that the heel cups on this machine are a rather weak point. If you row barefoot, it's not an issue. If you wear shoes, it is a very annoying problem. It doesn't help that I wear a size 13, but I found that my Reebok Zig Zag\Zog shoes won't even fit in the heel cups. I opted for my Nike cross trainers, but found that the heel pressing into the cup, and with the rowing motion, cause the cup to slip out of its 2 peg holder. Same thing happened to my wife. I solved the problem by slipping a piece of folded up cardboard into where the heel cup plastic is. This makes it so the plastic CAN'T lift out of place.

You have multiple options for "tuning" this rower. You can adjust water level. You can adjust the resistance knob, and then on the computer, you adjust it based on what resistance setting you are using on the rower. Unfortunately the manual gives you NO information on guidelines. They give you a Min. & Max for water level, but that's it. No suggested zone. It's not the end of the world, but it is something to be aware of.

The computer on the machine just seems to not be "right". My Strokes per Minute appears to be sky high. My Distance per stroke seems to make no sense, and it seems I need to be superman to get realistic 500m split times. I'll be contacting the manufacturer during the week for a solution.

Aside from comparing the stats, and the heel cups slipping out of position, the machine works great for rowing. My wife loves hopping on after a run on the elliptical. It gives a great workout of lower, upper, and core muscles. If you're not breathing heavy or sweating when you're done on this thing, you're not trying hard enough.

EBC Brakes FA291 Black Organic Kevlar Disc Brake Pad
EBC Brakes FA291 Black Organic Kevlar Disc Brake Pad
Price: $22.77
5 used & new from $22.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pads for my GasGas Trials Bike, January 21, 2013
I own a 1999 GasGas TXT270 which has the 4 piston Hebo brake calipers on it. It seemed there was nowhere I could go just click and order brake pads for the bike. After much cross referencing and searching, I found I was able to order them right here on Amazon. The pads took an extra day to ship, but showed up ready to install.

The pads aren't the fanciest, but quite honestly lock up my front wheel quite well. I can lock the front wheel rather easily with 1 finger, and 2 finger pull on the lever will toss you over the bars if you're not paying attention. I'll be ordering up more as spares for sure.

JT Sprockets JTF1336.14 14T Steel Front Sprocket
JT Sprockets JTF1336.14 14T Steel Front Sprocket
Price: $13.40
13 used & new from $12.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what is to be expected, May 14, 2012
Exactly what is to be expected from JT Sprockets. Perfect fit, great finish, and a wonderful long lasting product. I'll buy more of these for sure.

Coleman North Rim 0-Degree Mummy Bag
Coleman North Rim 0-Degree Mummy Bag
Price: $64.00
15 used & new from $53.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps warm at a reasonable price, February 13, 2010
I received this bag the day of an over-night "Cold Camp" adventure. I had fears as in the previous year, my prior bag was not up to the single digit temperature task of keeping me warm. Much to my delight as this bag arrived at my work, I found that it was plush, fabric felt nice, and had a good weight to it. I understood that with the lower price of this bag, I wouldn't be getting a 0 degree bag that was as light or as small as my summer bag, and accepted these "issues". After opening the included Coleman carry bag, I knew that it would be a treat to get the bag back in there. Do yourself a favor and pick up a medium sized Compression Sack. This will make travel for you and the bag MUCH easier.

The bag was put to the test that night as the temps dropped rapidly from the teens to the single digits. I was fearful throughout the evening as we cooked our hot dogs and brats. I saw the Coleman North Rim bag sitting beneath my lean-to tarp shelter. I feared how cold it would get, but alas around midnight, as everyone made the slow move to their bags, I hopped in and immediately felt wonderfully comfortable. My chest, head, and feet (as soon as damp socks were removed) warmed up in short order. I couldn't have asked for more. A huge bonus is the bag has a "curtain" that adds some extra insulation between your head and shoulder area. It acted a bit like a pillow for me, and aided in keeping me toasty warm.

Stats on evening:
Bag: Coleman North Rim 0-Degree Mummy
Sleeping Pad: Big Agnes Insulated air core
Tent: NA (Open air lean-to)
Fire: Nice hot coals approximately 6+ feet away
Temperature: 5 degrees Fahrenheit
Wore synthetic long underwear and sweatshirt in sleeping bag.

I can not comment on longevity of this sleeping bag. Been used once, but feel it will last.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2014 12:41 AM PST

IPATH Men's Grasshopper Sneaker,Brown/Hemp,13 M
IPATH Men's Grasshopper Sneaker,Brown/Hemp,13 M

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as I remembered them., November 11, 2008
I picked these up because I needed some new skate shoes, and they reminded me of the ones I wore 5 years ago or so. The main difference now being that they are Hemp instead of the leather (pleather, I don't quite remember). Either way I was excited to see that these shoes were still available, and were to be had so cheaply here on Amazon (sorry Journeys for being my shoe test-fit guinea pig).

Onto the shoes. The shoes to be expected took awhile for me to break in. The sole remained quite stiff for about 2 weeks or so. Not a big deal, and to be expected. After riding around a bit on my motorcycle trials bike, it completely broke them in. Obviously not their intended use, but it softened them up a bit and brought them to a great comfortable state. The look on them is IMO great. I know 95% of the people that are buying skate shoes are buying them for the looks. So do yourself a favor, and get the shoes that still maintain a good deal of class to them. These shoes can easily be worn in a "dressier" situation, and I've had no ill comments as to them looking haggard with casual pants.

The other part of these shoes that drew me to them was the fact that all new skate shoes have gone to this completely terrible flat "old school" type shoe. I'm not sure who brought on this look\style\whatever you want to call it. That style shoe just doesn't work right, and are uncomfortable. Now don't get me wrong. I know that these shoes aren't exactly praised by Podiatrists. They don't have any arch really, but actually have some "shape" to them. I enjoy this in a shoe. Now if you're anything like me with skating, you will have a tendency to somehow roll your ankles with ease. I know this can be remedied with wearing my shoes looser, but then things just get sloppy. This is to me the best feature of these shoes. With them being a sort of mid-top shoe, they have saved me from many a rolled ankle.

The reason I gave them a 4\5 though is due to the fact that on the velcro strap on my left foot, the velcro has separated from the fabric. I did nothing weird, and the only thing I can think of is that I caught it on something and it pulled it up. This is not a big deal, doesn't hurt function, and isn't really noticeable until I remove the shoes.

All in all one of my favorite shoes, and now I'm wishing I had picked up another pair at the 40$ price. Such is life.