Profile for Eric Dos Santos > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eric Dos Santos "Q" RSS Feed (Vogar, Iceland)

Rachmaninov Vespers / Choral Arts Society of Washington. Mstislav Rostropovich (Erato)
Offered by northamericamedia
Price: $23.95
36 used & new from $0.47

5.0 out of 5 stars An instant favorite, April 12, 2013
This is the best cd I've heard of a large choral ensemble. The music is beautiful and the performance here recorded is like a rch expensive chocolate for the ears! The solos are lovely and enchanting.

Fujifilm FinePix XP50 Digital Camera (Blue)
Fujifilm FinePix XP50 Digital Camera (Blue)
7 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good purchase, July 16, 2012
I bought this camera on a recent trip to Florida and so far, I like it quite a bit.

Cons after a couple of months of use:

1. No lens cap/closure. This means that almost every time I reach into my pocket/camera bag or whatever to take it out, I get greasy fingerprints on the glass in front of the lens unless I am being extra careful.

2. I don't like the fact that I have to enter the menu constantly to adjust settings. I am used to shooting on a DSLR and I like to take control of the way my camera is handling pictures. The menu in this camera is complicated enough as to make this unrealistic. this is a minor problem, though, considering that this is realyl intended to be a point and shoot camera, and not some fancy-pants artistic/professional camera.

Pulse
Pulse
Price: $14.98
34 used & new from $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good, October 23, 2007
This review is from: Pulse (Audio CD)
I bought this cd because of my long-lived affection for the Up Evil and Off discs. Even Official Version is quite good. This one falls a bit short of the mark, in my opinion. Those other two discs are far more interesting. This is still, however, a good listen, but it won't blow you away as the first two I've mentioned will

Life of Pi
Life of Pi
by Yann Martel
Price: $19.44
284 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for anyone with interest in living life, September 23, 2005
This review is from: Life of Pi (Hardcover)
I didn't really know what to expect when I started reading this book. Even halfway through the book I still hadnt realized that it was not a true story. The writing style is fresh and entertaining. The language used is wonderfully penned. The story itself is told in a truly engaging way with lots of detail and color.

I've recommended The Life of Pi to all of my friends and family and bought a copy for a friend of mine as a birthday gift.

Holes [VHS]
Holes [VHS]
VHS
Offered by -importcds
Price: $1.31
48 used & new from $0.28

1.0 out of 5 stars Great book.Terrible movie, January 25, 2004
This review is from: Holes [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I would have given it fewer stars if that was possible!
Today, I finished reading the book Holes for my daughter. If you want a good story that is well written and clever on top of being not very cliché, I highly recommend the BOOK. However, no matter the temptation, DO NOT BUY OR RENT THE MOVIE VERSION! The movie is terribly paced and only acted well on the part of three of the characters. John Voight, who plays a character called Mr. Sir, nearly saved several scenes. But, following the latest trends, Disney tried to blackify the story. The movie is crammed with poorly edited r&b and hip-hop music that is too loud and terribly out of place most of the time. In addition, the dialogue is something out of a nightmare of George Bush doing an impersonation of Vanilla Ice trying to be as black as one of the Beastie Boys. The story is changed enough that it loses just about all of its magic and wit. Also, it doesn't leave anything at all to your imagination.
The book, however, is fantastic. My daughter and I loved it thoroughly. It is imaginative, witty and well-paced. There is a good bit of clever humor. There is also sugar-free love, and well-measured danger. There are two violent scenes, but nothing that one can't handle, or explain in the context of the story. The Disney version, on the other hand, stuffs these scenes in to try to wake up those who fell asleep and do to the changes in pace, the scenes are much more gratuitous. In my opinion, there was no stereotyping in the book. But the movie was typical Disney casting which goes something like this:
Director: Let's go downtown and try to get a feel for what
the "inner city" is like. I want
this movie to feature real-life characters.
Casting director: But, isn't that dangerous?
Dircetor: Ya, you're right, maybe we'll just watch a couple of
hours of Menudo and try to
get a good grasp on the modern day lingo of today's
African American youth.
They do still prefer that term, right?
Casting Director: Yesiree, my brother!
This would have been a better movie had Tim Burton directed it...but I guess his plate was full with "Big Fish".