Profile for J. Sayer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 78

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Sayer RSS Feed (NC, USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
WEBER 6428 STAINLESS STEEL POULTRY & BEER CAN CHICKEN ROASTER (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by MS Supply
Price: $12.99
5 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, July 3, 2014
I cooked two whole chickens using these on my 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, and they turned out great. These bases are super stable, and both chickens fit in the smoker just fine. Great for the price, very happy with my choice.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2014 1:00 PM PDT

Griot's Garage 11033 Glass Sealant - 8 oz.
Griot's Garage 11033 Glass Sealant - 8 oz.
Price: $9.49
2 used & new from $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the hassle?, July 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've always been a little curious about these Rain-X sort of products so I thought I'd give it a try. Application was a hassle, I thought I could just run the car through a car wash and apply it, but that's not what it calls for. Super cleaning and then applying two coats with drying and wiping after each coat.

Rain, unless torrential, generally doesn't bother me while driving. Lots of times I don't even turn on the wipers and am not bothered by it and feel that I can see fine, but my wife complains. With this applied, I could see even better and it reduced complaints from the passenger seat. Has been working well for the past few weeks, but I'll probably need to re-apply soon.

Which leads to the real problem. Sure, it is nice, but I've got kids and a ton of other things to do. A slightly improved windshield during the rain isn't a top priority given the amount of time it takes to apply. Next time I'm just going to try a single coat on the car fresh out of the carwash and see how that does. If it works almost as well with much easier application, then I'll be happy. Otherwise, I'll probably give up on the stuff.

GURU Natural Energy Drink crafted with organic ingredients, 8.4-Fluid Ounce Can (Pack of 24)
Price: $59.76
9 used & new from $57.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not for me, May 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't take a lot of caffeine, I don't drink coffee but I do have a few diet sodas a week, though not for caffeine, just for a break from water. I typically use Advocare Spark (125mg caffeine) when I need a boost in the morning. It gives me a nice controlled shot of energy and also gives me mental focus I don't typically get from other products. I also use 5 Hour Energy (200+ mg caffeine) which I do find effective, but I usually have to take a half dose at a time or the niacin flush and caffeine hit is a little uncomfortable.

I had an opportunity to try some GURU and liked that it used organic ingredients. I don't know what to think of the chemicals in Spark and 5 Hour Energy, but I do like the effects. In any case, I generally use caffeine either before going to the gym in the morning, or when I have a project that makes me work late in the night. Sometimes, but not often, I use it if I'm feeling worn out midday. Here's my impressions of of GURU:

1. I don't like it in the morning before a workout. First, it is carbonated, and I don't like drinking carbonated sodas in the morning. I found myself burping while working out, regardless of the energy boost (which I didn't find as effective as the others), I really didn't like that. That by itself was enough reason to stop using it in the morning.
2. For late night use, I just don't want to drink 100 calories of sugar at night. I'm a little surprised at how much sugar is in this stuff, it is basically like drinking a Coke.
3. Midday, that is about the only time I found is good for drinking GURU. It's kind of like drinking one of my diet sodas (except it has calories), but it does give a nice boost.

The taste of GURU is hard to describe. The carbonation is milder than a regular cola, the taste is as well, maybe it could be described as watered down cola. However, the sugar content is definitely not watered down, it has as much or more (I think) sugar per ounce of beverage than Coke. Since I'm not used to drinking regular sodas, that's a lot to me, although it doesn't taste too syrupy.

So overall, the taste is ok, the energy effect is good, but not as good as the others I use, but I don't prefer my caffeinated beverages to be carbonated or loaded with this much sugar. I've found limited uses for it.

Philips Norelco BT9285/41 9100 Beard Trimmer
Philips Norelco BT9285/41 9100 Beard Trimmer
Price: $79.95
12 used & new from $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, March 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I needed something to replace my Remington Titanium trimmer which was about 2 years old and no longer held a charge. Worse yet, it wouldn't even shave off of the power cord unless (what was left of) the battery was fully charged. It was pretty much worthless. This product has a lithium ion battery instead of the terrible NiCad batteries in the Remington and it is washable (just run it under water). Granted this Philips Norelco model costs several times more, but it feels very solid and I expect it to last much longer.

Pros:
Battery life seems great
Charges fast
Washable
Easy to adjust (nearly as easy as the Remington, although that one was amazingly easy)
Feels very solid
Cuts cleanly with a single pass, motor doesn't feel like it is straining

Cons:
Laser is a gimmick, not really helpful. I'm fine with that, there isn't much use for cutting straight lines. But if there were uses for it, it just doesn't work. The laser is too closer to the face so it doesn't spread out far enough in either direction to be able to see it.
The indicator that shows what adjustment the guide is on is backlit and the backlight goes off when not in use. So if you pick it up and want to see what it is adjusted to, you have to turn on the razor to get the backlight to turn on. Not a big deal, but a little annoying.

Overall I can definitely live with the cons and am very happy with the quality of the trimmer.

Sylvia's Sizzlin' Hot Spice Seasoning, 5.5-Ounce Containers (Pack of 12)
Sylvia's Sizzlin' Hot Spice Seasoning, 5.5-Ounce Containers (Pack of 12)
Price: $32.35
6 used & new from $27.55

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite all purpose spice, February 20, 2014
I happened upon this once in a grocery store years ago and loved it! I put it on chicken, steaks, pizza, just about anything. A little salty, but with nice flavor and kick. I can never find this stuff in stores any more, but I order it from Amazon and a box of 12 lasts me a year or two. Highly recommended!

Pampers Sensitive Wipes 7x Box 448 Count
Pampers Sensitive Wipes 7x Box 448 Count
Price: $10.97
19 used & new from $8.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my first choice, February 20, 2014
For the past four years, we've been using Huggies Natural Care wipes. I think we started with them because they were usually on sale, cost more than store brand, but less than Pampers. However, when we were recently running low and I knew I wasn't going to have time to get to the store to buy more, I checked Amazon for wipes to order with Amazon Prime. These were basically the same price as the Huggies so I thought I would give them a try, and boy was I glad when they ran out and I could get back to Huggies! I think the best way to describe what I don't like about these is that they are slick, like they are coated in teflon or something. I rub them over a poo-covered bottom and they glide right over the poo. I actually have to use elbow grease to get things clean. The Huggies are just grippier somehow and pull the poo off without much effort. These also seem to dry out faster, it seemed the first one I pulled out of the bucket was always dry and I rarely notice that problem with the Huggies. In any case, I suggest trying the Huggies Natural Care rather than these, particularly since they are generally cheaper and (at least to me) work better.

Lucky Brand Men's 329 Classic Straight Leg Jean In Ol Aeromarine, Ol Aeromarine, 33x32
Offered by HAYS INC

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as they used to be, January 20, 2014
I've worn Lucky Brand jeans for years and they have always been comfortable. I have not bought a new pair in a couple years and I have to say I was disappointed in this pair which just felt stiff and more cheaply made. Also, contrary to what the product page says, these are made in China, not Mexico. Overall, a disappointment, I'm returning them and probably won't be ordering Lucky Brand any more. They used to be made in America and they made a great pair of jeans. Now, they seem to be in a race to the bottom, both in terms of location of manufacturing and also in the material.

The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You
Price: $11.88
40 used & new from $4.23

3.0 out of 5 stars Misstep for Neko, looking forward to the next one, December 30, 2013
I've been a huge fan of Neko since Fox Confessor and have all her studio albums and some of the live stuff. I always wait anxiously for her new albums, and this one was no exception. I heard a preview on NPR of "Where Did I Leave that Fire?" and was a little underwhelmed, but still preordered the album and immediately popped it in for a listen when it was released. And... it just doesn't do anything for me. Typically, I absolutely love over half of the songs on her albums, I like most of the rest, and there are usually one or two duds that I just skip. I pretty much always absolutely love the albums from the beginning and that usually deepens as I listen to it more. For this album, it felt like an album of duds with a couple songs (like Local Girl) that are just "likes", and that hasn't improved as I've forced myself to listen to it again hoping it would grow on me.

As for the Deluxe version, I find Madonna of the Wasps to be the strongest addition. Yon Ferrets Return is kind of blah, and I almost feel like deleting all traces of Magpie to the Morning. That was one of my favorite songs on Middle Cyclone, one of the most beautiful songs she has ever released, and this version is vastly inferior in every way including her vocals which sound like she phoned it in compared to how emotional the original was. I'm almost mad that she released this, especially after it was just on the last album.

I love Neko, and have seen her live, and will continue to be a huge fan. Every artist needs to express themselves in different ways, but this album just didn't speak to me.

Luvs With Ultra Leakguards Size 4 Diapers 160 Count
Luvs With Ultra Leakguards Size 4 Diapers 160 Count
Price: $35.99
28 used & new from $24.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine diapers, December 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've been using compostable diapers (that we also buy on Amazon), but in daycare, they just get tossed in the trash anyways so I thought I'd give these a try while she is in school. So far no complaints at all, we haven't had a leak or anything unusual happen. I think diapers are mostly a commodity and for the most part you can just buy what is cheapest, so if these are a good price, by all means you can buy them without reservation. I think the only thing I don't like about them is the scent, which is probably supposed to be like baby powder or something, but after 4 straight years of having kids in diapers, it just reminds me of diapers which is a smell I'm not particularly fond of. I would prefer scent-free diapers.

[NFC/Google Wallet Capable] Anker® 2 x 2600mAh Li-ion Batteries for Samsung Galaxy S4, I9500, Verizon I545, AT&T I337, T-Mobile M919, Sprint L720 (Not for Galaxy S4 Active), with Anker® Travel Charger, and 18-Month Warranty
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $53.99
2 used & new from $21.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible batteries and charger, good customer service, December 18, 2013
I purchased these in May 2013 and after a few months they swelled up so much that they required me to force the back cover back on and the back visibly protruded where the battery was pushing against it. I contacted Anker and they asked for some information (serial numbers, photos, etc) and then sent me replacements. Unfortunately the replacements have had the exact same problem and I'm getting rid of them. If you feel (push on the middle) of an OEM battery, it is very sturdy, however these Anker batteries are soft, and IMO they just don't have the structural integrity necessary to stand up over time.

Another issue is the Ankers do not match the battery life of the OEM model, I'd say I get about 20% less battery life out of the Anker than I do my original battery even though they are both rated at 2600mAh. I used to have QCell batteries for my SIII that were rated at 2300mAh when the OEM was only 2100mAh and they definitely exceed the OEM battery life and I preferred using them over the OEMs. Not these Ankers, they are only used in an emergency, and now I'm getting rid of them completely.

To make matters worse, the charger does not hold my OEM battery correctly. I haven't figured out what the problem is, but the opening seems to be a tad too small and the OEM battery will not lay flat, I have to put it in at an angle, although fortunately it still charges.

Kudos to Anker's customer service department, they were very responsive and that is the only reason this is getting 2 stars. Unfortunately, they have a lemon of a product and I highly suggest you stay away.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2013 2:53 AM PST