Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Chris > Reviews

Browse

Chris' Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chris "chris" RSS Feed (Michigan)

Arkon Windshield Dashboard Car Mount for TomTom GPS with EasyPort Pattern START 40 45 55 XL XXL ONE 125 ONE 130 ONE 140 XL
Price: $13.69
9 used & new from $13.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Mount vibrates - need to rest GPS against the dash or A-pillar, November 7, 2010
The TomTom 540 is a great GPS and comes with an adequate window mount. It does not have a lot of flexibilty, but once you figure out how to mount the suction cup on angles (not just up and down) and rotate the GPS, it fits in any car.

I bought this mount so that I could leave it in my car and take the TomTom mount with me when I travel. This mount has a tremendous amount of adjustabilty, and there are no concerns about it coming off the glass.

The cruxt of the issue is the extent of the arm. Maybe the TomTom 540 is just too heavy for it, but it tends to vibrate while drivingbecause it is cantelevered out there so far. It doesn't drop or slowly lower down; in that regard the mount is strong enough. It's just a vibration issue. It's enough to make you car sick if you are trying to read data (street names, time to arrival, etc.)

If you rest the GPS against the dash, or against the A-pillar (side of the windshield), it takes out the vibration. Since it blocks your view to mount any GPS in the middle of the windshield hanging in free space, perhaps this is a non-issue. For me it is an annoyance, but there is a work around.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2012 11:21 AM PDT

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Disillusioned, December 26, 2009
I have a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, and one of the greatest gifts that led me in that direction was my Crystal Radio set that I received one Christmas back in the late 1970s. Now it was my turn to pass the same thing down to my son for Christmas.

I chose to pay a little more and get the set with the pre-wound coil (the hardest part of building one of these kits). Any one of these kits would be relatively easy to build. There are only 4 main components, the coil, the diode, an ear piece and a variable capacitor. What could go wrong?

The mechanical connections are important. In electronics, the electrons never fail, it's always the mechanical joints. The connections in this kit are just twist-together, but after the first failure, I grabbed a soldering iron and made sure the connections were good.

This kit does not work. Perhaps the diode is bad? Don't know. After trying to get it to work (twice), my son's attention was already starting to fade and we made no progress. So much for passing along the spark. I won't buy one of these for any of my 3 daughters, that's for sure.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2013 5:08 PM PDT

Renovo Ultra Proofer - 500ml
Renovo Ultra Proofer - 500ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Renovo Ultra Proofer on BMW 3 series, June 30, 2008
I used Renovo's Cleaner and Ultra Proofer on my BMW 3-series. The 500ml bottle was just enough to do the top, with a couple table spoons (20ml or less) left to spare. The top absorbed water before, and it beads now. Starting in the morning, I was able to clean the top with the first product, mask off the car and start applying the ultra-proofer. I left it in the garage for about 12 hours and drove it the next morning. If I can recommend anything, it would be to use plastic to mask the car rather than news paper. The ultra-proofer absorbs into (through) news paper. The product did not change the appearance of my black top, which was a concern of mine going into this. After having done it, I will do it again. As they recommend, I will do it again toward winter to protect the top from salt spray.