Profile for Richard E. Howard > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Richard E. Howard "seishin" RSS Feed (San Diego, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
We Are in a Book! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)
We Are in a Book! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)
by Mo Willems
Price: $6.00
94 used & new from $1.71

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the second read through that gets you., November 4, 2013
I enjoyed this book the first time I read it to my daughter. She's very young so mostly laughs and giggles at my voices and the pictures, but as a writer I want to get to know the books in her library. It was the next day when I read it again that I realized what a sneaky writer Mo Williams is. I have to be impressed by a writer who can catch me off guard with such as simple children's story. I'll be picking up more Elephant and Piggie books for my daughter, just to see if he can pull it off again.

American Restoration Volume 2
American Restoration Volume 2
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the only 'reality shows' I watch, October 11, 2013
American Restoration, along with Pawn Stars, are two of the only reality shows I watch. Both involve intriguing history and fascinating people who aren't constantly yelling at each other or putting each other down. They are humans, with normal human drama, without being 'dramatic' for the camera. I always learn something.

Dixit Odyssey
Dixit Odyssey

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, May 31, 2013
This review is from: Dixit Odyssey (Toy)
I ordered this as a standalone game with counter, all cards and playable up to 12 people. What I received was an expansion that requires the core game.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2013 1:52 PM PDT

I'm (No Longer) a Mormon: A Confessional
I'm (No Longer) a Mormon: A Confessional
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave and Honest, April 5, 2013
I'm (No Longer) a Mormon is for everyone.

This is a story of one woman's struggle with being born into a religious practice she didn't choose for herself. She questions her religion's 'Truths' while, at the same time, struggling to connect to a god she loves. After decades of struggle, she turns her understanding of the universe on its ear and struggles with how to live her life around friends and family who are ingrained in a culture she no longer believes in.

I'm (No Longer) a Mormon isn't simply a book for questioning Mormons, or even those of other faiths looking for a weapon against the Mormon church. It is an outsider's view of organized religions from an insider's perspective. Whether religious, spiritual, atheist or agnostic, you will find something to connect to in this book.

I highly recommend it to anyone struggling to find their own truth and hoping to find a kindred spirit.

Nelson 50336 Brass Hose Quick Connectors Set, Male and Female
Nelson 50336 Brass Hose Quick Connectors Set, Male and Female
Price: $11.99
12 used & new from $7.65

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Work, July 26, 2012
Water sprays from the connection. I'd intended to use this for both my front and back yard hose connections. Instead, I'll try to find a one-piece male-female connector.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2013 7:05 AM PDT

Justice League: Doom [Blu-ray]
Justice League: Doom [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Various
Offered by Two Thumbs Up
Price: $15.19
44 used & new from $6.80

1.0 out of 5 stars Short and Sweet, January 17, 2012
I've purchased the DVD or Blue-ray combo of nearly every DC animated presentation so far. I won't be buying this because of the Ultraviolet digital copy. I'll be renting instead.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2012 11:03 AM PST

The Last Airbender
The Last Airbender
DVD ~ Noah Ringer
Offered by HARVEST MOUSE, LLC
Price: $19.99
37 used & new from $0.18

1.0 out of 5 stars Shocked, October 21, 2010
This review is from: The Last Airbender (DVD)
I'm shocked that anyone would give this movie more than 2 stars (and 2 stars is for those being incredibly nice). I have only walked out of a tiny handful of movies in my life and this tops the list. The Last Airbender's terrible acting, directing, special effects and lack of basic storytelling structure are inexcusable.

These flaws are aside from butchering the series itself. M. Night claimed to be the series' biggest fan, yet the actors can't even pronounce the character's names correctly, or consistently. The casting of series favorite Iro was mind boggling. The use (or lack thereof) of Appa as anything more than a transportation tool is proof that M. Night has no grasp of the core relationships that make the series an American animation classic.

Please do not support this film. Buy the original series and treat yourself to something brilliant. Avatar The Last Airbender - The Complete Book 1 Collection

Powerline By Original Power 0900-74 600-mA Universal AC-DC Adapter (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars I found this adapter worthless, April 13, 2010
Aside from the fact that the adapter didn't actually provide power to the modem I was buying it for, the hum from this item was intolerable. In addition, the storage compartment for the additional adapters doesn't actually fit the adapters; the strip got caught causing one of the spare adapter's pins to bend. It will cost me almost as much to send it back so now I'll have to buy another one at a walk-in store.

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (Two-Disc Special Edition)
DVD ~ Mark Harmon
Offered by mjentertainment
Price: $12.67
69 used & new from $3.83

5.0 out of 5 stars The Spectre Short is worth the price of admission, February 23, 2010
I haven't had the time to watch JL: Crisis on Two Earths yet, but it includes a 12 minute Spectre short film that was worth the price of the DVD all by itself. I loved it so much, in fact, that I'm giving it a separate review here.

The Spectre film has a vaguely anime style presented in a grainy reel-to-reel format which gives the Hollywood-based mystery a 70's TV show feel, while mixing in a distinct and unique horror twist. But in this case, it's not the villains who are the horrors--it's the hero.

I would love to see this made into a series, or even a full length movie.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold: Volume Two
Batman: The Brave and the Bold: Volume Two
DVD ~ Diedrich Bader
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $8.00
45 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Wont' be buying it., January 18, 2010
Won't be buying it until they get off their butts and put together the season. Drove me nuts with the rest of the DCU, still won't put up with it now.

Now for the review:

There is a list of conceptual reasons I shouldn't like this show. As an adult, the "classic" Adam West Batman makes me cringe, though it was my favorite show as a kid. When writers can't get past the camp and try to use "it's a comic-based TV show" as an excuse for terrible scripts and acting, it flat out pisses me off. So, naturally, when I heard the premise of this show I was immediately put off. Batman is never in Gotham, he's fighting around the world, tons of guest stars, throwback to the 50's Bill Finger stuff. Yikes. Really?!

I was totally wrong.

The writers have put together something brilliant, hilarious, and a beautiful homage to the FUN comics were when I was growing up.

The cameos are fantastic and don't overwhelm the series. So far I've seen Atom, Fire, Plastic Man, Green Arrow, Blue Beetle, and Aquaman. Half of them show up in 007-style intro shorts where Bats is already at the end of a previous adventure. This allows us to see some favorites, set up the DC Universe, and still only focus on one main story at a time without falling into the "too many supervillains/heroes" problem that plagued the Tim "I've never read a comic and never will" Burton-started Batman movies.

On other fronts, the music is up-beat and reminds me of Saturday mornings in front of the TV eating cereal. I just now realized it's the Johny Quest-like beats!

The silliness is high but they've created a bizarre internal consistency to their universe that makes everything work.

To top it off, the writers know their DC universe. Their spin on characters like Aquaman is definitely different, but they keep the heart and soul of the characters which is the most important part. Classic comic characters are archetypes, ripe for interpretation, and they take full advantage of that.

Their knowledge and love of the material shows in the little details as well, like an opening scene where Batman is fighting the Gentleman Ghost in Brazil. I was getting ready to tell Megs that G.G. is from the Hawkman rogues gallery. Hawkman is able to fight the incorporeal villain because of the Nth metal based technology which is the basis for the Hawk's harness and weapons. Nth metal has several properties, including anti-gravity effects and the ability to affect objects in other dimensions. Before I could get any of that out, Bats pulls out Nth metal brass knuckles and cuffs. Awesome.

So, despite my reservations about the silliness, villainous monologuing, over-the-top death traps and space adventures, this show is looking to become the best Batman adaptation since The Animated Series. If you know me well, you know how much of a compliment that is.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3