Profile for VANAGODAVE > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

VANAGODAVE RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Russia at War: 1941-1945
Russia at War: 1941-1945
by Alexander Werth
25 used & new from $2.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have History, June 5, 2012
This book by Alexander Werth is a complete package on Soviet WW2 history. I especially like the fact that the author was actually there during the war as a correspondant and saw first hand the aftermath of the war on the Russian people. This he also conveys in his book with first hand accounts and interviews. Some other readers have commented that this history might be lacking since it was written so long ago especially before Russian release of information after the end of the Soviet Government. I do not find this to be absolutely true. The author does make note of Soviet statistics, but follows up with his own and near accurate numbers and makes no blind assumptions to data supplied by the Soviet government.

I also liked the fact the book was written very well and did not read like "instructions" like so many histories of the Soviets of WW2. The book is full of human accounts and not just raw data. I also think that in reading this, I understand Russia better as a nation and have some grasp on Russian cultural process too. If you study WW2 history and want a more holistic education, I would suggest reading this book.

Crosley CR60-BK Kettle Desk Phone with Push Button Technology (Black)
Crosley CR60-BK Kettle Desk Phone with Push Button Technology (Black)
Price: $40.99
42 used & new from $33.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Phone, June 5, 2012
I am glad I ordered this retro phone. At first I was worried because so many people made complaints about its performance, but I decided to give it a try. I wanted an old desk phone that worked because my home is full of Depression Era furniture. This phone works fine and has no problems with my computer modem with the filter hooked up. The feel of the phone is classic and to my preference. Yes, a retro phone lacks caller ID, easy no-hands operation and a longer cord can not be installed, but I really don't need those things because I have a primary cordless phone. However, when the power goes out here (as it often does) the cordless does not work and without a direct line, our family can not contact anyone. So, I love this phone, its look, its feel and its performance.

My only complaint is Amazon's shipping. I had ordered this on May 3, 2012 and it did not arrive until May 23, 2012. That is 20 days in transit. I chose the free shipping via USPS and it was supposed to be here within 12 days. So I waited 3 weeks for delivery. I found out that USPS partners with FEDEX and uses what is called FEDEXSMARTPOST. This FEDEX service decided to ship my item to my city only to re-ship it out across country because they literally were too bothered to deliver it. I tracked the package down and called USPS to be directed to FEDEX and they explained this to me. Their reasoning was that "the package might have been loaded in the back of the truck and the sorters decided not to deliver it".

Amazon also was unable to help and stated that I was at the mercy of the shipping company (FEDEX) and they would give a refund, but they would not help re-direct my package back to me. So after being shipped originally out of Colorado, then to Arizona, to my city in New Mexico, then off to Los Angeles, back to Arizona, Colorado, Arizona again and back to my city, it arrived 3 weeks later.

So, free shipping does not come free. Yet, after all this, I still like the Crosley Desk Phone and decided to wait it out and I am pleased with the phone. I would never choose free shipping again and think that is a scam on Amazon's part because they use the cheapest and most unreliable shipping service to do so. I will order from Amazon again, but learned my lesson on their "FREE" shipping option.

The Nutmeg of Consolation (Vol. Book 14)  (Aubrey/Maturin Novels)
The Nutmeg of Consolation (Vol. Book 14) (Aubrey/Maturin Novels)
by Patrick O'Brian
Price: $12.99
260 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure that keeps you, January 26, 2012
I can't say enough good things about Patrick O'Brian as a writer. These fictional novels are entertwined with enough factual history as a background that you can really dive in to the life of the 19th century English sailor. If you read one of these books, and like naval history, you will only be satisfied after getting the entire series. There are great human characters and romanticism that can not be denied. Patrick O'Brian even surpasses the great Horatio Hornblower from CS Forester fame.

The Princess Academy
The Princess Academy
VHS
Offered by Texploited
Price: $19.95
15 used & new from $9.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Cult and Camp movie, January 26, 2012
This review is from: The Princess Academy (VHS Tape)
Oh my goodness, this a horrible movie from the eighties. It was purchased as a present. However, the VHS copy we recieved was in excellent condition, if not like new, and the movie gave a few good giggles at what the eighties was like.

The Civil War: A Narrative: Volume 3: Red River to Appomattox (Vintage Civil War Library)
by Shelby Foote
Price: $19.83
181 used & new from $1.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Civil War in a nutshell, January 26, 2012
This series of books is a must read for any historian or Civil War enthusiast. Shelby Foote is an excellent, no-nonsense writer that doesn't fall prey to speculation or submits his own opinions in any way. As the title says, this is a clear narrative of historical fact, presented not as dull factual data, but weaving data to a coherent and pleasant reading.

Mattel Matchbox 2008 MBX Heritage Classics 1:64 Scale Die Cast Metal Car # 4 - Light Blue Classic 2 Door Coupe Volkswagen Karmann GHIA Convertible

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghia Matchbox, January 26, 2012
Another quality scale reproduction of the classic Volkswagen by Matchbox. I think matchbox keeps the historic form of the automobile without too many changes and is acurate in form. I see these at the stores commonly, but it was nice to pick out a specific colour. Matchbox makes really good toys and this one is no exception.

Analog Wall Mounted Weather Station. Mahogany Wood Finish
Analog Wall Mounted Weather Station. Mahogany Wood Finish

4.0 out of 5 stars Weather under glass, January 26, 2012
This is a very nice and inexpensive unit. It is accurate, but the barometer is a little awkward and the thermometer registers in celsius and the fahrenheit scale is a little more generalized than hoped for. Yet, with these set-backs, it is an attractive unit and serves my home well. I'd rather pay under $30 for this item than over $150 for something similar.

ALIENS Movie Stars and Bars USC Marines Logo PATCH
ALIENS Movie Stars and Bars USC Marines Logo PATCH

5.0 out of 5 stars Bug Stomping Delight, January 26, 2012
This is a quality reproduction patch of the ever popular Alien movie genre. So, with the upcomming Alien prequel, I would highly recommend this patch to any Colonial Marine or Alien fan ready to face the Alien onslaught from LV-426.

ALIENS Movie USCM Screaming Eagle Logo PATCH
ALIENS Movie USCM Screaming Eagle Logo PATCH

5.0 out of 5 stars Aliens Beware!, January 26, 2012

Vandor 99061 Star Wars Ceramic Mug Empire Strikes Back, Black, 12-Ounce
Vandor 99061 Star Wars Ceramic Mug Empire Strikes Back, Black, 12-Ounce
Price: $9.00
23 used & new from $3.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars Mug, January 26, 2012
Another great coffee mug made by a reputable company. This has already survived our dishwasher and many a cup of coffee since the purchase. This mug is definitely not a cheap knock-off and is very durable. If you can't find the "FORCE" early in the morning, try a good cup of coffee instead in this mug.

Page: 1 | 2