Profile for iamStanley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

iamStanley RSS Feed

Canon PowerShot SX130IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3.0-Inch LCD (OLD MODEL)
Offered by greentree9
Price: $199.99
46 used & new from $49.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, February 16, 2011
It is very inexpensive camera with all photographic controls and good image quality. I do not use it in poor lighting, in decent lighting it is very capable camera. You have real photographic tool in your hands. It may be a very good camera for teaching photography to younger kids. The camera is very well constructed, study, made of hard, good quality plastic and is very reliable. I took over 8000 pictures with it, and it is still like new. The video is great too!

Linux Pocket Guide
Linux Pocket Guide
by Daniel J. Barrett
110 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My long time favorite ref on Linux, February 16, 2011
This review is from: Linux Pocket Guide (Paperback)
Few months ago I decided to learn some Linux command line with Learn Linux Complete for a Beginner Video Training and Four Certification Exams Bundle, Ubuntu Edition. 8-disk DVD Set, Ed.2011 and I tried few books along the set. I found this book to be very helpful and to be the best book that complements the set. It is very logically organized, well written, easy to follow and helps in extending my understanding of Linux. It is what Linux reference book should be. It uses simple language to explain sophisticated commands and it is neatly organized. I wish this book to have smaller dimensions to be really pocketable. otherwise it is great reference book.

A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming (2nd Edition)
by Mark G. Sobell
53 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, command reference for a beginner, February 16, 2011
I purchased Ubuntu 10.10, 4-Disks DVD Installation and Reference Set and it is very nice set with great many PDF books included. I borrowed this book from a friend as he highly recommended it. I can confirm that he book is great but I didn't use it as for a reference man pages and "info" worked well enough for me. If you know how to use "man" command, it leaves no practical need for a reference book. Beside, "man" is much faster to use, you can copy examples, cross reference other related commands etc. If you don't know how to use "man" this book will explain the commands. I opened the book on few occasions to compare it to "man" reference. The book is clearly written and easy to follow. In fact out of all other printed books I tried it was among the best. Some other books for beginners just "explain" KDE or GNOME, which I hardly can call a reference book on Linux. This book goes into commands, many of them, explains "how to" and gives some examples. I give it 5 stars because as a book it is great.

Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook (4th Edition)
Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook (4th Edition)
Price: $34.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book about Linux and UNIX, January 16, 2011
It is great book! I subscribe to every good word about this book said by other. Despite its intimidating title, it is clearly written, wit, and easy to read. It is very informative and fills you with great knowledge. Great job!

The Official Ubuntu Book (5th Edition)
The Official Ubuntu Book (5th Edition)
by Benjamin Hill
42 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and shallow, January 16, 2011
This book is both disappointing and shallow. It teaches you nothing that you can't learn by merely browsing Ubuntu. The introduction is long, boring, irrelevant. Ubuntu is very simple to use now days. No one needs a guidance of how to click it here or there. The part about Ubuntu's installation is poor redundant, and who needs it anyway if all info is on a screen during the installation. Ubuntu's website and help files do much better job on describing its functionality and they are getting updated with Ubuntu, unlike this book. The power of Linux is in its command line. This book does nothing to extend your understanding of it. I found that books freely included with Ubuntu 10.10, 4-Disks DVD Installation and Reference Set provide much greater info. I firmly believe, that if I spend this kind of money on a book about Linux, assuming there's plenty of free information available out there, it should contribute to my core understanding of a subject. This book is a general chitchat as you can find on countless forums. It gives an impression that authors themselves aren't really knowledgeable. I don't think that real Linux guru will waste his time by describing how he clicks onscreen interface buttons. It is beyond me, how book like that, gets positive reviews unless they are friends and family. That was about the content.
Now few words about the form. As someone else mentioned it, this book apparently is another self published compilation by many authors and it needs an editor. Most of it is very poorly written and inconsistent. Freely available Ubuntu documentation does better job. I give it 2 stars because they tried, but I can't recommend this reading to anyone. If you wan't really great book on Linux get Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook. It is a great reading.