Profile for Desert Gypsy > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 333

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Desert Gypsy "A Brooklyn Girl Out West" RSS Feed (Southern Utah, USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Americare Waterproof Velour Seat Protector 22"x21" -Brown
Americare Waterproof Velour Seat Protector 22"x21" -Brown
Price: $10.99
3 used & new from $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect seat protectors!, March 9, 2012
I have a double rocker recliner that is my favorite seat in the house; it's also the favorite of two furry companions that love to cuddle up with me. These waterproof covers are a durable velour fabric that makes it easy to relax and enjoy the furniture without worrying about pet or people stains, odors or even hair.

They measure about 20" in x 23" inches. The pad is waterproof and can absorb about one fluid cup. The nap of the fabric catches hair so and is easy to remove using a lint brush or tape roller. My couch did not come with those loose arm protectors so I use these in place instead. The brown color is a pretty close match so they really disappear rather than detract from the decor.

I also find these incredibly useful to prevent stains from creams/lotions on my foot rest; the oils from these lotions would surely leave marks on the footrest over time but with one of these pads underfoot there are no worries that my creams will transfer to the fabric of the couch.

For securing them in place I'd recommend these upholstery pins: Upholstery Twist Pins 8/Pkg: Antique Brass

Very pleased with this purchase and highly recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2015 1:31 PM PDT

Love 'N Bake Schmear Chocolate Filling, All Natural , 12-Ounce Can (Pack of 6)
Love 'N Bake Schmear Chocolate Filling, All Natural , 12-Ounce Can (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars dark chocolate perfection, March 9, 2012
The other day my daughter made a deliciously simple birthday cake for me using a boxed yellow cake an a single thin layer of this chocolate Shmear and it could not have been better! The taste is that of a high quality dark chocolate - related to grocery store brands, think a Ghiradelli or Guittard 65-70% dark, in other words dark, rich and not *too* sweet.

It is on the thicker side if unheated so it will drag the crumb of a split cake a bit; heats beautifully though for easier spreading or even melted for use as a shiny ganache or glaze. It's a smaller container than supermarket "frosting" but it will handle two nine inch layers well because you'll need less; the flavor is *very* intense!

My favorite uses for this Chocolate Schmear is as the topping for a Boston Cream Cake, Bismark Donuts, or as filling for chocolate croissants. It makes the most incredible homemade tasting version of a grown-up Hostess Chocolate cupcake; just add a little fresh whipped cream filling to a homemade chocolate cupcake and then top with a slightly warmed thin layer of this Schmear, Yum!!!!

I've found it's the exceptionally perfect choice for those recipes, with the proper flavor and texture balance. It's so far and beyond regular supermarket frosting that you could use it for virtually any recipe calling for a chocolate ganache, frosting, fudge, or glaze.

Made in my hometown of Brooklyn.

Very pleased with this purchase and *highly* recommended.

FOUR (4) Aluminum Touch Screen Stylus Pen With Clip Compatible With ALL Capacitive Touch Screens (iPhones, iPads, iPods, Tablets, Cell Phones, etc.) [AccessoryOne Brand] - Silver, Red, White, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars great product, great price!, March 8, 2012
These Stylus Pens are exactly as described in the listing; a very nice selection of four colors, lightweight and well constructed for a budget item. They work as promised to assist with typing/selecting on a touch screen. I'm using this with a five inch android tablet and it is a really big help to be able to be more precise when typing on such a small keyboard. The pointing surface is very smooth and has not left any marks on my screen during usage. They also feature a small clip to attach to my tablet case which is convenient and helps prevent me from losing such a small item.

These are fairly new for me so I'll update this review if anything changes for the negative but for now pleased with this purchase and recommended.

One Hundred Butterflies
One Hundred Butterflies
by Harold Feinstein
21 used & new from $17.40

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful butterflies....., March 8, 2012
When my children were little and we lived in Brooklyn I used to take them every year to the butterfly garden exhibit at the Zoo. It was amazing to see so many varieties of butterflies up close, and this experience had such an effect on me that I began collecting a few special pieces of butterfly art to display in my home as a remembrance. I came across this book of photographs which not only speaks to my love of butterflies but of my recently renewed interest in photography.

I'll agree with another review that this is not super-macro photography that would show every hair on the butterfly's leg but the photos a large, lush, clear and colorful. The generous size of the book makes it destined to have a home on any coffee table. Even better if you have room to leave it open to reveal some of the beautiful images inside.

Very pleased with this purchase and recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars very best crinkle cat tunnel, March 8, 2012
After some research and many reviews read I've purchased three cat tunnels in the past year and this is by far the best one. It is a perfect length for play and hiding and kitty loves the center peek-a-boo hole. The crinkle is not as loud as some which means I don't need to put this away at the end of the day because the sound is not as disturbing when I'm trying to get off to sleep. The brown color and neutral nylon fabric is also very unobtrusive with my decor; I'd prefer to have my kitty's toys out and about in the living space but I *don't* want it to look circus-y or like a kitty kindergarten.

The cozy sherpa fabric seems to be a favorite with my cat and he likes to roll around inside the tunnel and will even take quick naps inside. It features toggle straps on both ends to collapse and store it; kitty has taken quite a few turns chewing on the toggles but so far they are holding fast.

This tunnel cost a bit more than the others I've tried but the build and materials are very high quality and I definitely feel that the extra cost is justified. Very pleased with this purchase and happy to recommend.

Intelligels® GENII Laptop Computer Wrist Rest
Intelligels® GENII Laptop Computer Wrist Rest

4.0 out of 5 stars works when modified for mac, March 8, 2012
I must agree with the other Mac users that this design is not Mac friendly due to the small track pad area but if you cut the track pad part off, the sum of parts usable make an excellent wrist wrest to avoid the sharp edges at the front of the Mac. The base underneath the pieces is not the sticky type as with more wrist rests but it actually stays put once placed on the keyboard area. It's nice that it is not tacky because it does not pick up dust and debris like the tacky kind of wrist supports.

I have tried other wrist wrist and simply could not get a better fit height wise or in the proper length to fit an eleven inch Macbook Air. Normally I would not rate an item over two or three stars if it requires significant alteration of its design but this seems to work well to solve the problem.

Recommended with caveats above for Mac users.

Once
Once
DVD ~ Glen Hansard
Price: $5.95
86 used & new from $0.16

5.0 out of 5 stars pitch perfect, March 8, 2012
This review is from: Once (DVD)
Since others have already said it all as far as what the story is all about I'll just add my vote here that I love this movie and think it deserves five stars and more. Once hits all the right notes in creating a feel that you are watching life unfold for the two characters that become friends and musically more. To me it seemed so very real, even more so than a documentary.

I shared this movie with my college age children and they really enjoyed it as well. The soundtrack is stunning and definitely worth owning if you enjoyed the movie.

Highly recommended.

Casabella Smart Scrub Dish Brush
Casabella Smart Scrub Dish Brush
Price: $14.37
2 used & new from $6.79

5.0 out of 5 stars the best brush to suit my needs....., March 6, 2012
With the myriad options in dish brushes available I think Casabella has hit all the right notes on this one:

The white nylon bristles easily show when it's clean and when it is not. The firmness of the bristles is just right that they do not collapse when pressure is applied but they form well to curved and flat dish surfaces, easily getting into every nook and cranny.

The handle is angled to be able to do both flat dish surfaces and also reach well into high walled pots and such.

The front of the head has a scrubber plate to scrape off stuck on food.

The head is replaceable which is a nice green/eco-friendly feature.

Casabella also makes this in a soap dispensing version: Casabella Smart Scrub Soap Dispensing Dish Brush

and also a palm brush version: Casabella Smart Scrub Soap-dispensing Palm Brush

Very pleased with this product and highly recommended.

Japanese Plastic Fruit Vegetable Rice Washing Bowl
Japanese Plastic Fruit Vegetable Rice Washing Bowl
Offered by JapanSuperMall
Price: $6.99
17 used & new from $2.50

3.0 out of 5 stars there may be a better option...., March 6, 2012
I've been making Japanese rice for over 20 years and I always wash it first for the best results. I hadn't thought to use a bowl specifically for this purpose but it does make it easier. The problem with this particular bowl is that it only has holes at the spout which makes it a little tricky to release the water without the grains. There is a similar bowl, Rice Washing Bowl with Side and Bottom Drainers which has holes on the bottom as well as the spout. I returned this bowl in favor of the latter.

Sweet Leaf Tea, Original Sweet Tea, 64-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 8)
Sweet Leaf Tea, Original Sweet Tea, 64-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 8)
Offered by UnbeatableSale, Inc
Price: $45.81
9 used & new from $26.05

5.0 out of 5 stars sweet deal!!!, March 6, 2012
This is some really great tea; I *LOVE* that it is organic and no junk in it just tea, water, and sugar. Not too sweet, and just the right strength of tea taste. Just like a really good home-brew when served plain and is even better served icy cold with a slice of fresh lemon or lime.

The subscribe and save option is a ridiculously good deal at the time of this review (about $1.70 per bottle) and having this shipped to my door could not be cheaper or easier.

Very pleased with this purchase and highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20