Profile for Shane Lems > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 256

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shane Lems RSS Feed (The State of Wisconsin)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Scotts 18877 AirShoc Titanium Non-Stick Pruner, Petite
Scotts 18877 AirShoc Titanium Non-Stick Pruner, Petite
Price: $26.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, But Not Perfect!, December 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used this pruner yesterday on some small evergreen tree branches and some dead grape vines. It did cut very well - and without much effort. One of my boys also used it, and said he liked it. A few notes are in order:

1) The blade is removable and replaceable. If you tighten the screw too tight, the cutter does not spring open well, so be sure to tighten it just right (it's not hard to do). And don't lose the spring when you take it apart!
2) It does stay closed with a clip on the handles, but I had it in my coat pocket and it kept coming open in my pocket. This was annoying; I wish the clip were tighter so it would stay closed in my pocket.
3) It does have a lifetime warranty, so that's nice.

All in all this is a nice pruner. I think the packaging has a bit of hype on it - not sure I care if my pruner blade has microguard on it - but I do like this pruner, minus my slight critiques above.

NASB Note-Taker's Bible
NASB Note-Taker's Bible
by Zondervan
Price: $24.81
44 used & new from $21.48

4.0 out of 5 stars A Basic NASB With Wide Margins, December 18, 2014
While I generally appreciate and utilize several translations and paraphrases of the Bible, I’ve recently come to like the NASB more and more. The NASB’s translation principles are solid, its use of Hebrew and Greek manuscripts is level-headed, and it is generally a very good translation for daily use. Speaking of the NASB, I recently received a copy of the “NASB Note-Taker’s Bible” from the BookLook review program, so I want to comment on it here.

The NASB Note-Taker’s Bible is a pretty basic Bible. I own the hardcover edition which is bound quite well; it is a solid and sturdy Bible (Zondervan guarantees their Bibles from printing/binding defects, FYI). The font is smaller than I like (8.5 point?) and I’m not wild about the words of Christ in red (hence my deduction of one star).

It is also worth mentioning that there are no “bells and whistles” in this Bible. What I mean by that is this: there are no maps, study notes, application words, cross-reference charts, “gospel insights” or anything like that (aside from a few appendices in the back). I’m not a big fan of study Bibles with all sorts of bulk, so I don’t mind the fact that this “thinline” Bible is just a Bible without anything else. It's a "plain old" Bible in the very best sense of that term.

This NASB Bible is a “Note-Taker’s” Bible which means that there are wide unlined margins for writing and note taking. The margin on the top is minimal, but the sides are around 1 3/8 inches wide and the bottom is just under 2 inches wide. Some people might want bigger margins, but these aren't so bad.

All in all, I recommend this Bible for those who want a basic NASB with wide margins.

In case you don’t know much about the NASB, I’ll end with the preface found in this NASB, which gives a summary of itself:

"In the history of English Bible translations, the King James Version is the most prestigious. This time-honored version of 1611, itself a revision of the Bishops’ Bible of 1568, became the basis for the English Revised Version appearing in 1881 (New Testament) and 1885 (Old Testament). The American counterpart of this last work was published in 1901 as the American Standard Version. The ASV, a product of both British and American scholarship, has been highly regarded for its scholarship and accuracy. Recognizing the values of the American Standard Version, the Lockman Foundation felt an urgency to preserve these and other lasting values of the ASV by incorporating recent discoveries of Hebrew and Greek textual sources and by rendering it into more current English. Therefore, in 1959 a new translation project was launched, based on the time-honored principles of translation of the ASV and KJV. The result is the New American Standard Bible."

(Disclaimer: I received this book from the BookLook blogging program, and was not compelled to write a positive review.)

OXO Good Grips All-in-Reach Shower Shelf
OXO Good Grips All-in-Reach Shower Shelf
Price: $34.99
2 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Big and Strong!, December 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We usually set our shampoo/soap bottles on the little built-in shelves of our shower wall. However, the bottles don't fit on it well, so this OXO shelf is a great improvement for us. The suction cups are strong, the unit is very sturdy, and it is huge (it can fit around 6-8 bottles, depending on their sizes). The only thing that some customers might not like are 1) its size - don't get this if you want a small, compact shelf, and 2) its looks - it's not the most attractive thing in the world. However, if you want a big, strong shower shelf, this is the one! Recommended!

AmazonBasics 50-Pair Shoe Rack, Chrome
AmazonBasics 50-Pair Shoe Rack, Chrome
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice - But Not Perfect, December 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Out of the box, this rack took about 15 minutes for me to set up. All you need is a phillips screw driver (a little wrench is included). It stands about five feet tall and is three feet wide. There are rollers/casters on the bottom, but you don't need to put them on if you don't want wheels (it is more sturdy without the wheels, so we're using it without them.

The frame is chrome (which isn't too attractive in my opinion), but the bars where the shoes rest is coated with a very nice black substance that makes it so the shoes don't slide much at all. This rack cannot fit small child's shoes on it, nor can it fit boots on it (unless you don't put all the black bars on it - we skipped a few on the bottom, so we can fit big boots on the bottom).

My wife and I think you could only fit about 40 pairs of shoes on this rack - I doubt the claim that it fits 50 (hence the deduction of one star). Also, note that you won't want to put wet shoes on this rack, or they'd drip all the way down!

All in all, this is a nice rack that is sturdy and works well. It is more sturdy without the wheels, like I said above, and it probably won't fit 50 shoes on it. However, I do recommend it and we do like it!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Smart Weigh Body Fat Digital Precision Scale with Tempered Glass Platform, Eight User Recognition, and 440 lb Weight Capacity, Measures Weight, Body Fat, Water, Muscle and Bone Mass
Price: $29.95
5 used & new from $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I Hate Scales, But This One Is Excellent!, December 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I hate scales because they tell us things we don't want to hear (e.g. "You must lose 10 pounds"). However, this is one sweet scale. I had it set up with my information on it just 3 minutes after taking it out of the box. Also, it is pretty accurate - within two pounds of the scale at the gym where I'm a member. The instructions are good and brief (though not edited very well). The scale looks good and comes with batteries. My wife also said she liked this scale. Recommended!

Tech Armor Google Nexus 7 (Original 1st Generation) Tablet Premium HD Clear Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacement Warranty [3-Pack] - Retail Packaging
Offered by Tech Armor
Price: $6.95
2 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, December 9, 2014
It's packaged well, the instructions are clear, and you get three high quality screen protectors for well under ten bucks. I'm completely satisfied, and totally recommend this product for those who need a screen protector for their Nexus 7! It works perfectly fine on ours!

SterlingPro 6 Cup French Coffee Press, Unique Double Screens
SterlingPro 6 Cup French Coffee Press, Unique Double Screens
Offered by SterlingPro
Price: $46.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Great Customer Service!, December 8, 2014
We've been using a French Press for well over a year now, and since the glass broke on our old one, we're now using this SterlingPro each day. We really do like it, and it is worth the money. I would have given it five stars but the glass beaker sometimes slides out of the red plastic holder; in fact, when we were washing it in the sink before using it for the first time, the glass slipped out and broke. Thankfully, SterlingPro has very good customer service and they sent me a new French Press for no charge. Now that we know the glass can slip out, we just handle it carefully and it works perfectly.

If the customer service was poor, I would hesitate to recommend this French Press; however, since the customer service is outstanding and since this product does work well and makes a good cup of coffee, I do recommend it!

Extreme Max (5001.5028) Snowmobile and ATV Tow Strap
Extreme Max (5001.5028) Snowmobile and ATV Tow Strap
Price: $17.83
2 used & new from $11.80

5.0 out of 5 stars One Satisfied ATV Owner!, December 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used this yesterday on my ATV (2001 Polaris Trailblazer) just to test it out, and it worked great! The clips are easy to use (my 8 and 10 year old boys could do it), and the strap is thick and strong. There are, of course, other uses for this tow strap as well; it is quite handy for several things. For example, you could pull your boys on a sled behind an ATV using this tow strap - not that I would know, of course! Seriously, though, I'm very happy with this product, and do recommend it!

Winmau Blade 4 Dual Core Dartboard
Winmau Blade 4 Dual Core Dartboard

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pro Dartboard at Home!, December 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to admit I'm not a dart or dartboard expert, but I can tell just by holding and using this dartboard that it is the real deal! My boys are throwing darts right now as I type (yes, I'm making sure they're being safe with the metal-tipped darts!). The dartboard is easy to read and there should be no arguing about where the darts land.

The dartboard is heavy, so it does need to be securely attached to a wall. It doesn't come with darts, so you do need to purchase darts to go along with it - and plastic tips don't work very well. There is a rule book with the dartboard to help rookies like me.

To be honest, I'm not sure how this dartboard could be improved! If you're looking for a professional grade dartboard, this is it!

T.S. Shure Wooden Magnetic World Map Puzzle
T.S. Shure Wooden Magnetic World Map Puzzle
Price: $49.05
3 used & new from $48.66

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Product; Two Flaws, December 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 8 and 10 year old boys eagerly opened this box when the UPS man delivered it today. They took it out, set the puzzle pieces on the table, then fixed the puzzle. It took them about 10-15 minutes, and they had a good time with it, debating on where the countries were. I had to help a little, but not much. They really liked it, and I'm impressed with it as well - it's well-built and colorful.

There are two reasons I deducted two stars: 1) the magnets aren't that strong; they don't fall off when you hang it up, but they slide if you bump it more than a little. In fact, we can't really fix the puzzle while it's hanging up because the pieces fall off (it's super frustrating!) 2) some of the pieces don't have names/words on them, so it's hard to find where those pieces go. Would have been better if each piece had a name on it.

Other than these two issues, in my opinion (and my boys' opinion!), this is an excellent and fun learning tool!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20