Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS
Profile for Shane Lems > Reviews

Browse

Shane Lems' Profile

Customer Reviews: 424

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shane Lems RSS Feed (The State of Wisconsin)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
EAS 100% Whey Ready-to-Drink Protein Shake, Chocolate, 11 fl oz, 12 count
EAS 100% Whey Ready-to-Drink Protein Shake, Chocolate, 11 fl oz, 12 count
Price: $25.99
3 used & new from $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Drink, Great Ratio!, May 18, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Since I do some weight lifting and want to keep my protein intake up, I've tried quite a few different protein shakes. So far, I always like EAS products. This shake is good: it has 30 grams of 100% whey protein and 180 calories in an 11 ounce container. I like that size and ratio. Also, it is low in sugar and carbs. I also noticed it has some vitamin C (50% daily value) and iron (20% daily value). However, one negative was that it has a decent amount of cholesterol (28% daily value). The chocolate taste is also good - it's thick and a little syrupy, but not bad at all. It tastes best very cold, in my opinion. As a side, the expiration date on mine was April 2017.

All in all, I really like this protein drink, and I do recommend it.

adidas Fingerless Black/ White Logo Wrist Wrap L
adidas Fingerless Black/ White Logo Wrist Wrap L
Price: $24.99
3 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good!, May 18, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've owned a few pair of various workout gloves in the past, so I was happy to be able to give these a try. I like the look of them - black with white stripes and the Adidas logo with a hint of red by the fingers. The wrist strap is very nice and improves stability (it does get a little warm, but didn't bother me). The palm has a good thick grip pad and doesn't get too hot because of the breathable material on the back of the hand. There are loops by the fingers to get the gloves off easy, which I also liked. The white stripes and logo are reflective, which doesn't matter to me because I use these gloves to lift, but if someone wore these for biking gloves that might be a bonus.

After using these for a one hour workout which included bench press, free weight training, clean and press, and pull ups, I'm happy with them and do recommend them. If they end up falling apart or breaking soon, I'll come back here and note it.

InStyler BLU Turbo Ionic Dryer
InStyler BLU Turbo Ionic Dryer
Price: $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars All That It Claims To Be!, May 18, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife and daughter used this hair dryer last night, and here's what they said: 1) It's nice and light, 2) the long cord is nice, 3) it works really fast (meaning it's powerful), and 4) it is as described on the box (meaning it wasn't over-hyped).

It comes with two attachments - one that makes the air come out in a narrow stream, and one that diffuses to help with curls (the instructions include notes on how to use these attachments). There's a low heat and high heat setting, and you can pull the trigger button for room temp air. There's a dial for air speed (ranging from low to high) and there's a setting for lower or higher ions (each is used for different types of hair, as the box explains).

In summary, my wife is happy with this dryer and to me it seems like a solid appliance (it feels much better than the $15 ones you can get at department stores). I'll come back here and note it if it quits working prematurely.

Nutrition Now PB 8 Probiotic Immune Support Supplement, 60 Count
Nutrition Now PB 8 Probiotic Immune Support Supplement, 60 Count
Price: $23.08
17 used & new from $19.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Medium Sized Capsule Packed with Probiotics!, May 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's nice to have a good, strong probiotic in one medium sized capsule. We've had the chews before, but they tasted funny and weren't as strong as these capsules. I haven't noticed any side effects yet, so that's good. I can't tell if it's working, but that's fine - most supplements don't have quick, noticeable results. PB 8 has a good track record with their other products, and so far this one seems to be the same high quality.

The Blessing of Humility: Walk within Your Calling
The Blessing of Humility: Walk within Your Calling
by Jerry Bridges
Price: $9.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, Biblical, Grace-Filled, and Practical, May 16, 2016
I've appreciated many of Jerry Bridges' books because they are level-headed, full of Scripture themes and texts, centered on the gospel, and because they are not trendy or faddish like many Christian books today. I also like how Bridges always emphasized the fact that we have a "dependent responsibility" as Christians to follow the Lord Jesus: we are responsible to follow him, but dependent on his grace and Holy Spirit to do so. In his final book (posthumously published) The Blessing of Humility, Bridges echoes many of these same themes from his other books.

In around 100 pages, Bridges talks about Christian humility as displayed by the beatitudes (Mt. 5:3ff). After giving a brief summary of the Bible's emphasis on humility, he gives examples of what that humility looks like by focusing on some of the phrases in the beatitudes. Bridges doesn't talk about every phrase in the beatitudes; mostly he focuses on the first half of each beatitude and doesn't really discuss the last half. To be honest, this was a slight disappointment for me, but it wasn't his plan to give a commentary on the beatitudes. (As a side note, I'm not impressed with the publishing quality of this book. The book feels quite flimsy since the cover is thinner than a cheap paper plate!)

This book isn't groundbreaking, but it is a simple, clear, and helpful series of lessons on Christian humility. Bridges nicely emphasized the gospel, that through faith in Christ we are justified - our sins are forgiven and we are credited with Christ's perfect righteousness. Based on that, we should desire and seek to grow in holiness, which includes humility. He notes that through prayer, God's Word, and the Spirit's help, we grow in Christ-like humility and our pride will slowly die. In the final chapter, Bridges comes back to the gospel and explains how we are to grow in humility by focusing on the gospel: "He [Jesus] lived a life we could not live and died the death we deserved to die" (p. 86).

Most Christians will be able to read and understand this book. It includes some study questions at the end. I'm glad I own it; I'll for sure look at it again later when I study the beatitudes or the topic of humility. If you're interested in how the beatitudes show humility in action, and if you want to grow in humility, you should check out this book: The Blessing of Humility by Jerry Bridges.

[I was provided a complementary copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.]

Life Gear  Light-WRX M3 3.5" Sharp Pocket Knife with USB Rechargeable Flashlight
Life Gear Light-WRX M3 3.5" Sharp Pocket Knife with USB Rechargeable Flashlight
Price: $27.99
2 used & new from $21.95

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Knife, But Tighten The Screw!, May 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an average knife. It is relatively solid and the light works fine (it lasted well over 3 hours for us). The main screw of the knife did come loose after using it for just one day (we tightened it up and it is OK so far). Also, I noticed the price was over twenty dollars at the time of this review. I'd say it's worth between ten and fifteen dollars. If the screw keeps coming loose, I'll update this review and note it.

L'il Critters Barbie Complete Multivitamin Gummies, 190 Count
L'il Critters Barbie Complete Multivitamin Gummies, 190 Count
Offered by Junebug Logistics
Price: $9.99
4 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Young Girls!, May 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our daughter is the perfect age for these gummy vitamins. She smiled when I showed them to her - and she thinks they taste good. (As a side, since gummy vitamins do taste good, be sure to put them in a safe place so kids can't just snack on them like candy!) As parents, we like these vitamins because they don't have corn syrup or horrible dyes, and because they are made for ages 2-4. If you want decent "girlie" gummy vitamins, check these out!

Ego Is the Enemy
Ego Is the Enemy
by Ryan Holiday
Price: $16.02

3.0 out of 5 stars A Helpful Tool for Controlling Ego, May 12, 2016
This review is from: Ego Is the Enemy (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The main point of this book is that ego gets in the way of success, personal growth, and doing seriously good work. In just over 200 smallish pages, Holiday defends his point with various examples and explanations.

There are three main parts to the book: 1) Aspire, 2) Success, and 3) Failure. Holiday explains how the ego can ruin aspiration and success, and how it can get in the way of learning from failure. He also notes that these three things happen to everyone, so if we can subdue ego in and through them, it'll help make us grow. (As a side there is some cussing, so it's probably not for kids.)

I do agree with the basic premise of this book: a narcissist is his own greatest enemy. A big head means a big fall. I enjoyed many of the quotes Holiday used from various people throughout history. A few examples: "It is impossible to learn that which one thinks one already knows" (Epictetus). "When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" (Bill Bradley). "People learn from their failures. Seldom do they learn anything from success" (Harold Geneen).

I also agreed with Holiday's points about always being a student, of not just talking, but doing, and realizing one is tiny in the big scheme of things. The reason I gave the book 3 stars (which means "average") was because there was quite a bit of repetition and similar statements. I found myself saying, "He's said this already," or "He could have said that in 1 page instead of 4." The repetition also made the book sort of run together, so even though there were 3 parts, they sounded similar. Because of this, I underlined and highlighted the first part of the book a lot, the second part a little, and the third part I didn't highlight much at all.

In summary, this is a helpful book for dealing with ego and keeping it in place. It wasn't my favorite book on the topic, but it was informative.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2016 2:33 PM PDT

EAS Myoplex Creatine Powder, Unflavored, 1.1 Pound
EAS Myoplex Creatine Powder, Unflavored, 1.1 Pound
Price: $16.88
2 used & new from $16.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure and Plain Creatine Powder, May 10, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is what it is: around one hundred 5 gram servings of pure and plain creatine powder (nothing else - no flavors or additives). I just finished putting one serving (5 g) into my morning 12 ounce protein shake and it mixed fine. I'm not an expert on the other companies who also sell creatine powder, but I do trust EAS since I've used quite a few of their products. If you want plain creatine powder I do recommend this one by EAS!

EAS Advantedge Ready-to-Drink Nutrition Shake, Milk Chocolate, 12 Count
EAS Advantedge Ready-to-Drink Nutrition Shake, Milk Chocolate, 12 Count
Price: $19.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Good EAS Drink!, May 9, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've tried a bunch of various protein powders and drinks in the past, so I do know a bit about them. I like this "AdvantEdge" because it isn't so high in calories. Some of the protein shakes this size I've tried have around 200+ calories, so I like a lower-cal protein option. Also, I'm glad to see this one has tons of vitamins and minerals, since many protein shakes don't have them. It isn't an all-natural drink (but it doesn't claim to be) and it does have quite a bit of sodium (230 mg) for those who are interested in those things.

The flavor was good; I tasted a tiny hint of "vitaminy" flavor, but not bad at all. Be sure to shake it up and drink it cold! I do recommend this for those looking for a low calorie milk-based drink with vitamins and minerals. EAS has made another good protein shake!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20