Profile for Jonathan Appleseed > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 576

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jonathan Appleseed RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
LitterWorks® Permanent Scoopfree® Compatible Litter Tray. Heavy duty, "seamless" plastic design replaces disposable tray refills, pays for itself in a few months.
Offered by Litter Works
Price: $42.80

1.0 out of 5 stars Hardly original, April 15, 2014
I have nothing but contempt for companies that can't think / create for themselves and instead rely on copying the hard work of others.

Notice the word "forever" isn't in the title. That's because it isn't nearly as sturdy as the product it aspires to be: The Forever Tray. Sold here on Amazon.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2014 1:25 PM PDT

Fizzion Pet Stain & Odor Remover Refill Tablets (2-Pack)
Fizzion Pet Stain & Odor Remover Refill Tablets (2-Pack)
Price: $8.16
11 used & new from $1.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Pet owners - you're gonna love this stuff!!, June 13, 2010
I was very skeptical regarding the efficacy of this product but am delighted to report my skepticism was misplaced. All I can say is - WOW.

Nature's Miracle, Simple Solution - all of those products that come in big. heavy gallon jugs, cost a fortune (especially when you consider what you're cleaning up - doesn't it just bug the daylights out of you to spend upwards of $20 - $30 a gallon just to clean up urine?), and take up much-needed storage space - are replaced by this one product that weighs ounces. Twelve two-packs, enough for 6 gallons of product, take up less space than a single gallon jug.

We have hard surfaces and five animals, three cats and one dog. One dog is 16yrs old and a little senile; another a puppy. Between the two of them alone there's plenty of cleanup to do.

To use, fill the empty container (included with Fizzion Concentrated Cleaner (32 oz)) or another sturdy 32oz spray bottle with warm water. The tablets dissolve faster in warm water. Once they've dissolved, it's ready for use.

This product has cleaned up vomit, feces, blood and urine. It cleans the messes and doesn't leave any scent behind, with the exception of light `fresh linen' scent.

I've started using it when changing the cat litter, spraying both the Forever Tray and the Scoop Free Litter Box. Previously we used Clorox wipes, then Urine-Off wipes, but those have been replaced by a less expensive - and for my money, more efficient - solution.

Cat urine is the most difficult smell to get rid of. Yet after only a few sprays of Fizzion, the litter box - from the Forever Tray to the Scoop Free unit and it's hood - smells fresh-out-of-the-box new.

So this product:
- Won't break the bank
- Won't break your back
- Won't irritate your olfactory senses with an overpowering smell
- WILL clean up bood, urine, feces, and vomit more effectively and with less expense than any other
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2012 8:22 AM PDT

ZiwiPeak 'Good-Dog' Chews, Deer Antler - Large
ZiwiPeak 'Good-Dog' Chews, Deer Antler - Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, natural product - perfect for small to mid-size dogs, May 16, 2010
When I say small dog, I should qualify that by saying my 9-pound Yorkie prefers ZiwiPeak's Small Antler ZiwiPeak 'Good-Dog' Chews, Deer Antler - Small, but that his 12-pound predecessor, a Yorkie-Maltese mix, preferred the Large.

Other reviewers have commented on this not being a 'Large' antler, and if you're comparing this to a 10-12" Buckarooz Monster Antler, well, there's really no comparison. I wouldn't give the ZiwiPeak Large antler to an 85-pound pit bull. That dog could have the Monster sized antler.

What I've read regarding the size of the antlers is that they are assigned into their size category by weight, not by size.

Small < 30 grams (1.0582 oz)
Medium < 45 grams (1.5873 oz)
Large < 70 grams (2.4692 oz)

How does that compare to other antlers? I have several Buckarooz lying around, so can weigh them.

The 10-12" Monster I mentioned weighs 10.6 ounces. The 4-5" Monster weighs 5 ounces and the 6-7" Regular weighs 2.2 ounces.

What's the advantage here? I admit to not knowing how antlers are 'made', but the ZiwiPeak antler is clearly a more natural product than other antlers. While natural doesn't always equate to better (cyanide is a derivative of the peach pit), in the limited framework of our discussion I believe natural is better. Just as ZiwiPeak's food is as close to raw as you can get in a bag or a can, with the antler you're getting something your dog might have snagged had he/she happened along a fallen deer in the forest and swiped off a bit.

I love that the antlers aren't smoothed or buffed like other brands. Not that there's anything wrong with smooth or buff <grin> but my guys seems to like the naturally occurring ridges.

And yes, because ZiwiPeak uses the whole rack there are antlers that have more exposed marrow. That's not necessarily a bad thing. True, marrow is rich, and for some dogs that may not be a good thing. But most dogs that have been fed a diet with the appropriate balance of protein and fat (see Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet: Healthier Dog Food the ABC Way for a great discussion on the importance of fat in a canine's diet) should find that marrow a welcome addition to their diet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2010 12:09 PM PDT

Resvantage - The Resveratrol Longevity Supplement (30 count)
Resvantage - The Resveratrol Longevity Supplement (30 count)

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't find a better Resveratrol supplement anywhere, October 4, 2009
Resveratrol works. Of that I have no doubt.

Studies touting astonishing results have been coming out for years and I've waited for a study (or studies) to come out that says, "Well, we've been duped; another miracle supplement that fell apart on closer examination," but that hasn't happened. Closer examination of resveratrol has done nothing but strengthen/support earlier reports of resveratrol's uses and researchers continue to find MORE uses for resveratrol.

The problem with using resveratrol as a supplement is that the resveratrol molecule is extremely volatile and susceptible to oxidation. There is very little bioavailable resveratrol in supplements that come in a powdered form or a liquid drink, or that claim "red wine extract" as their source of resveratrol .

That's frustrated me. I've wanted to take resveratrol for years, but the manufacturing processes of even the leading supplement companies leave so little bioavailable resveratrol, not to mention ridiculously high costs, that I never took the plunge.

Until, that is, I came across Resvantage. You may look at the dosage - 15 milligrams - and wonder how that can help when other supplements claim as much as 200 milligrams or more. It's pretty simple. Resvantage is encapsulated by the Capsugel division of Pfizer in an oxygen-free, nitrogen rich environment using their patented Licaps process. The Licaps methodology insures that Resvantage is protected from typical losses in potency found in other products both during the encapsulation process and after the product has been packaged.

The capsules are also liquid filled. Other supplements (tablets, powder, powder-filled capsules, drinks) are inefficient and low in bioavailability and pass through the body with very little being absorbed, regardless of how much resveratrol is claimed to be in the product. Resvantage combines a lipid and an emulsifier to improve absorption, and they also use a milling process called micronization which increases the surface area of the resveratrol crystal.

The greater bioavailability *means smaller dose requirements and improved therapeutic effect*.

Finally - a resveratrol supplement we can trust! If you're using any other form of resveratrol, you're not getting the full effect. Toss out whatever it is you're using and try this stuff. I did, and I couldn't be happier.

They also make Canine and Feline formulas. I started giving Resvantage Canine to my fifteen-and-a-half year old dog and noticed changes within a week. Her sight improved, her hearing improved, she doesn't wander into a room and forget where she is - the list goes on. And that's just one week.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2010 10:59 AM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong liver support, September 21, 2009
There are dozens of reasons that a person might want added support for their liver. After all, the liver is the largest organ in the body and performs over 500 functions. The liver needs to be functioning at optimal efficiency at all times and this product, a mix of whole food vitamins and minerals derived from unique, organic sources, and containing Protomorphogen (liver) and Cytosol (adrenal) extracts, is what I count on to keep mine in tip-top shape.

I'll admit to a certain amount of nervousness when this was recommended by my chiropractor, especially with the glandular extracts. But after reading up on the product and watching a DVD that details Standard Process's top-notch production facilities and peerless quality control, that discomfort faded. I'm glad it did! I saw AST and ALT levels drop over the period of a month or so, with nothing else added or subtracted from my regimen. Not that they were alarmingly high, but I prefer things like blood tests that measure the efficacy of my liver to return results in the normal range, not the high-normal range.

It's nice to know that if I need to step it up a notch, Standard Process has another product, Standard Process Hepatrophin PMG 90 Tablets, a supplement that is a 100% liver PMG extract, much as Standard Process Renatrophin PMG 90 Tablets is a kidney PMG extract.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2009 5:45 AM PST

Renatrophin pmg 90 tablets by Standard Process.
Renatrophin pmg 90 tablets by Standard Process.
Offered by Vitamin Discounts
Price: $25.00
6 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Highest quality 'glandular' kidney extract on the market, September 21, 2009
This product contains Standard Process's patented Protomorphogen (PMG) kidney extract, an extract derived from nucleoprotein-mineral molecules.

While this is decidedly a product in Standard Process's 'human' line, as a glandular extract it can also be used in animals. We have a cat diagnosed with early kidney failure and since starting to use this product and Standard Process Renafood 90 Tabletsadjunctively with Standard Process Feline Renal Support 60 T we've seen her downgraded from early kidney failure to kidney impairment.

Having seen what it can do in cats, if (salt over shoulder) I should ever have problems with my own kidneys, I would use this and Renafood in a heartbeat.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2009 12:44 AM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent whole food supplement - "food for the kidneys", September 21, 2009
While this is decidedly a product in Standard Process's 'human' line, as a whole food supplement it can also be used in animals. We have a cat diagnosed with early kidney failure, and since starting to use this product and Standard Process Renatrophin PMG 90 Tablets adjunctively with Standard Process Feline Renal Support 60 T we've seen her downgraded from early kidney failure to kidney impairment.

Having seen what it can do in cats, if (knock on wood, salt over shoulder) I should ever have problems with my own kidneys, I would use this and Renatrophin PMG in a heartbeat.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2009 12:57 AM PST

The Indigo King (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, The)
The Indigo King (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, The)
by James A. Owen
Price: $14.66
114 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing follow-up, June 25, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've waited a while to review this, as I was hoping that eventually I'd finish it! That never happened. The first book in the series, "Here, There Be Dragons," was brilliant, and easily one of my favorite reads of the decade. After ordering this book from Vine I immediately bought the third book in anticipation. Now both are sitting on a shelf, both unread.

The art is still mesmerizing. James Owens is a gifted artist. The story, however, never grabbed hold. That was disappointing. I very badly wanted to be swept away as I was in the first book, but would have settled for 'engaged-enough-to-want-finish.'

Writing this, and remembering how much I loved "Here, There Be Dragons,"
makes me want to go back and give the book another try. If I do, and my opinion is any different, I'll be sure to make note of it here.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2012 6:16 PM PST

Forever Litter Tray® The Permanent Scoopfree® Compatible Litter Tray -- The Original Best Selling Greener and More Economical Alternative to Disposable Cardboard Cartridges
Offered by Forever Litter Trays
Price: $58.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only does this work perfectly, but it is a HUGE money saver, June 22, 2009
This review is long overdue, and I apologize to the product's inventor for taking so long. My only defense is that the people at ScoopFree and I have enjoyed a wonderful relationship and my guilt in turning from their cartridges to this tray was significant.

In a way of apologizing to the good people at Scoop Free (SW, in particular), finances drove our decision to try these trays. We have three cats, and my partner won't be finished with pharmacy school for two years. Spending $100 every 6 weeks (or less) on litter cartridges became too great a burden. That averaged out to about $860 a year on cat litter alone, or $71.67 a month. When I calculated what our first year costs would be, including the initial purchase of three litter trays and a plan to change the litter even more frequently, our monthly costs would be $31.66 - a startling savings of $40 per month. And that's including buying litter trays! Without litter trays, the savings is even greater.

I was concerned that the Forever Tray's wouldn't work, but they do, and brilliantly. They've also been working nonstop without a hitch for about four months now. Installing the trays was a piece of cake. Slide the ScoopFree cartridge out, slide this tray with crystal litter in. The cats didn't know the difference, but we sure did. No more do we worry that a tray might leak (which, to be fair, only happened once or twice in three+ years, but cat urine and carpeting don't mix), and the convenience is still pretty much the same. Yes, pulling a ScoopFree cartridge out and sliding a new one in was delightfully simple, but so is the Forever Tray. There's slightly more maintenance when changing litter (if you don't perform maintenance between changing litter, some litter can clump to the bottom), but this is offset by the savings of more than $50 a month.

One of the best things about the Forever Tray is the product's inventor. He truly wants the experience of owning a Forever Tray to be a positive one. His website is full of helpful hints, and he himself responded to an e-mail inquiry. He knows his product, he knows his customers, and there isn't a question he either hasn't already heard or knows the answer to. He also truly wants his customers to be happy. There's a definite sense of altruism with him - the sense that his incentive is not only looking to make the best litter box on the market even better, but that he's also motivated by wanting to make the litter experience of every cat owner a more positive one. His honesty was as refreshing as his product.

The litter that we use, per the inventor's recommendation, is Target's store-brand crystal litter. It costs about $2 less than the same size bag of Fresh Step, and since using that litter we've noticed less litter being tracked around the apartment by the cats. Even if we hadn't saved money, that alone was worth the price of admission.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2010 4:53 PM PST

Freeze-Dried Raw Whole Chicken Hearts Treats for Dogs and Cats
Freeze-Dried Raw Whole Chicken Hearts Treats for Dogs and Cats

5.0 out of 5 stars My treat of choice for training (great for meal supplementation for cats too!), June 14, 2009
I was having difficulty getting my puppy interested in any of the treats I was using to train him. Outside, he was much more interested in befriending every person, dog, cat, squirrel, bird, and worm than listening to the clicker and getting a treat (I swear, I think he wants to shake hands with the squirrels; he wants to be the friend of every living thing, even things for which he was bred to chase and kill!). I tried several different treats, then thought - well, DUH. You have a whole selection of Companion's treats for other purposes (see my review of the Turkey Giblet Rounds), why not give these a shot?

I already knew that the hearts chip off easily into whatever size piece you desire (easier than any other freeze-dried treat I've tried, and I've tried many), so why I wasn't using them consistently with him can only be chalked up to stupid parent error.

One morning I took the duck heart outside with us and give him a whiff. He was alert and focused entirely on me. A person came into his view and I lost his attention - I lost it, that is, until I clicked the clicker and stuffed a small bit of the duck heart into his mouth. You could see WOW all over his face, as of he'd tasted meat for the first time in his life, and again, focus on me.

I'd taught him to fetch, but he wouldn't drop the ball upon returning. Solution? Duck heart. And he drops it on command.

I've even used these treats to get my geriatric dog, Joon, to tune into the world again. She lost her littermate, best friend, partner, and constant companion of fifteen years this past December, and has been utterly lost without him. My presence, and that of my partner, has comforted her to an extent but her bond had always been strongest with Ben. She seemed to age eight years when he passed - prior to his passing, she had the vitality and spunk of a puppy, and was often mistaken for one, even at nearly fifteen years - and even lost a great deal of hearing.

Without Ben, the world just wasn't as interesting to her anymore. He was her leader, too, and I found myself a poor replacement. (I led Ben, so to speak, so assumed she would look to me as he did - and she did, but nowhere near as much as she needed to.)

To try and focus her on the world around her, to help her enjoy life again the way she used to, I pulled out the clicker and the duck heart. Once she had a taste of the duck heart, she was all, "Gimme some more!" So I clicked, got her attention, and gave her more. She's actively listening now - or, at least, doing her very best to listen - because she knows that tuning in to the world around her will result in some very, very good things. She's even a bit more chipper on her walks, moving quicker and with more self-assurance.

Sometimes I give her other Companion treats. They're all so ridiculously healthy, and all of my kids - all three cats, the puppy, and the geriatric old gal - prefer these treats to others that are full of garbage like high fructose corn syrup, grains that could upset their stomach, or `meat' that has lost virtually all of its vital nutrients due to overcooking. All of these treats are nutritionally sound, and frankly, you could mix a few of them up and make a nice meal for your dog if you're on the go and nothing better is around.

The product description describes the manufacturing process well, and I encourage you to read it. These aren't freeze-dried treats that have been dried at high temperatures in half-a-day (such preparation kills off vital nutrients and makes one wonder - why did they bother to freeze-dry them at all?). These treats are done right; they're dried at low temps for several days, for maximum nutrient retention.

You'll feel great using any of Companion's treats, for any purpose. It's like handing your kid a head of raw broccoli that tastes just like a Hot Fudge Sundae! That's how dogs and cats see these things.

One of my cats, and I'm not exaggerating, comes bolting from wherever he is when he hears a bag being opened, sliding into me like a baseball player trying to steal home and win the World Series. He's that possessed.

How marvelous to have a wicked craving for something that's actually good for them!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20