Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Browse

Amazon Customer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "The Grumpy Moose" RSS Feed (Anchorage, Alaska)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Grizzly G9847 Hess Chucking Reamer Set, 29-Piece
Grizzly G9847 Hess Chucking Reamer Set, 29-Piece
Price: $154.95
2 used & new from $144.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reamers, cheap box., June 26, 2016
Pretty much the same experience as everyone else. The reamers themselves seem to be of good quality, though I haven’t used them enough yet to tell how long they will ultimately hold up. But the case is simply beyond useless. A shining epitome of cheap, imported junk. Like others, I purchased the Huot reamer index and now have a quality set. Like some of the other reamer sets available here on Amazon, they should simply sell this set without the case and let us buy the quality Made in USA box separately.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0" (32GB, Black)
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0" (32GB, Black)
Price: Click here to see our price
22 used & new from $249.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tablet…EXCEPT…, June 1, 2016
This is my third Samsung tablet and by far my favorite to date. Perfect size – not too big or too small – well built, thin, fast, gorgeous screen. I’m really liking the 4:3 aspect ratio so far – its perfect for web surfing, reading, and photos. Even for videos the letterbox bars merge with the Black bezel and become unnoticeable. Battery life seems as good or better than my other tabs.

Now for the bad news…THIS TABLET HAS NO VIBRATION FUNCTION! At least for the Wi-Fi only version, the vibration motor is either permanently disabled or not installed at all. This is beyond belief! Apparently Samsung did this to save like 50 cents off of the final price which is so dumb as to be insulting to their users. I’ve always like to use my tablets with the volume off and the vibration function serves as tactile notification for the whole range of routine operations. But with the volume off on this tablet, you lose all sense of feedback from the device. Ridiculous! Worth dropping one star in my overall rating if not two. Otherwise this tablet would be perfect.

On a more pleasant note, I would highly recommend the OEM Samsung Book Cover for this tablet over the ubiquitous ~$10 import clones sold everywhere. The difference in quality is striking. The Samsung cover is beautiful to the eye and in the hand – as it should be given the ridiculously high price they charge for it. However, there’s an outfit that sells these covers new (open box) on a certain online auction site for one third the OEM Retail price. At that price it is absolutely worth it!

LG Electronics 14X USB 3.0 Super-Multi External Blu-ray Disc Rewriter BE14NU40 (DVD+/-RW with M-DISC Support)
26 used & new from $76.48

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, February 7, 2015
Do not buy this piece of junk. This drive fails to read about 20% of my ordinary commercial DVDs. Yet, put those same disks in a plain old $20 polaroid DVD drive and they read just fine. Just another overpriced piece of imported ****.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2015 2:19 PM PST

Carhartt Men's CMH6377 6 Inch Composite Toe Boot
Carhartt Men's CMH6377 6 Inch Composite Toe Boot
Price: $165.00

5.0 out of 5 stars These are work boots???!!!, June 18, 2014
Possibly the most comfortable set of work boots I have yet owned (and I've gone through a lot)! Nice and roomy in the toe area, no need for additional orthopedic insoles - great right out of the box. Composite toe is good for Airport Security as well! I may even buy a second pair to save for when I need another given how shoe manufacturers like to change/discontinue models so frequently these days.

5.11 Tactical #48038 Tactical Fleece Jacket
5.11 Tactical #48038 Tactical Fleece Jacket
Price: $40.07 - $158.73

3.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, but falls "short", April 15, 2013
511 stuff is always of top notch construction, so that's not the issue here.

Pros:
-High Quality, nicely lined, heavy fleece material.
-Plenty of storage pockets.
-Lots of anti-abrasion covering in all the right places which also adds a bit of wind resistance.

Cons:
-As per many of the reviews elswhere online, this jacket is simply cut too SHORT. Works fine with a battle belt, but with a duty belt it ends right at the mouth of my holster making it an accident just waiting to happen
-And for that same reason it is also inadequate for any type of concealed carry OWB.
-Should have an upper arm pen pocket.
-Could also use a couple of velcro patch holders.

If this jacket was only cut 2-3 inches longer it would be darn near perfect!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2015 7:09 PM PST

Seasonic ATX 460 Active PFC F3 80 PLUS Platinum Fanless ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply SS-460FL2
Offered by Silhouette Goods
Price: $129.25
8 used & new from $118.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An Awesome PS - IF you get lucky!, May 20, 2012
This is a great PS, but it has a few problems that need to be recognized:

CONS:
HIGH PITCHED WHINE - as described in previous reviews, this is a real phenomenon. When I first started my new system (i7-3770, Asus z77 MB using on chip graphics) the high pitched whine was overwhelmingly obvious and constant. It doesn't come from the PS itself, but rather from somewhere around the monitor (powering off the monitor made it go away). Fortunately for me the situation improved greatly once I installed the updated Intel HD Graphics Driver. Now I only hear the whine for brief seconds during startup and shutdown when my monitor is changing resolution in the "auto-adjust" mode. And here's the kicker - this is a second computer sharing the same monitor. If my other computer is powered on and sending a video signal to the monitor (regardless if it is the selected channel or not), the whine is completely eliminated! Obviously this is some kind of weird RF resonance/feedback issue. I'm just glad it's not a big deal for me or I don't need to troubleshoot it. If it were continuous, I would RMA this PS in a heartbeat like the other guys (and give it one star). The noise is that bad!

OVER PACKAGING - also mentioned in other reviews, the over-packaging on this PS is so over-the-top as to be just plain silly! Why I need a PS shipped to me in a fancy felt bag with its own draw-string and a gold label is beyond me. And while this is largely a trivial issue, if all of this fancy packaging in any way contributes to the already substantial price of this unit, then it is a problem. Seasonic should simply take a lesson from Amazon's "frustration free packaging" and ship this to me in a plain cardboard box - that I will end up throwing away anyway!

PRO:
THIS IS AN AMAZING PS! Solid construction, dead silent from what I can tell, and doesn't even seem to get warm to the touch. Since I also have a virtually silent CPU Cooler, and no noisy GPU fan to deal with, the only noise emanating from my computer now is a couple of chassis fans, which will be my next target for noise reduction.

BOTTOM LINE - if one is lucky enough to dodge the High Pitched Whine of Death bullet, and one isn't concerned with saving the Rain Forests by reducing needless packaging, then this is the PS to get if noise reduction is a primary consideration.

Usrobotics All-in-one USB3.0 Card Reader
Usrobotics All-in-one USB3.0 Card Reader
Offered by ComegaCity
Price: $25.45
10 used & new from $25.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked great..., May 10, 2012
...until it died. Worked for about six weeks then just stopped. What a piece of junk. Obviously made in China.

Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011 - BX80619I73930K
29 used & new from $209.00

5.0 out of 5 stars There simply are no words!, March 5, 2012
Descriptions like "Beast", "Monster", etc come close, but this CPU defies description. This thing is un-freaking-believable!

I built my system primarily for high end photo editing and graphics.

Intel i7 3930k
Asus P9X79 Pro Mobo
Corsair 16GB Vengeance DDR3
Corsair AX850 PSU
Corsair H80 Cooler
Crucial M4 128GB System SSD
EVGA GTX 560 Super Clocked
iStarUSA D-400 4U Rackmount Chassis

Tasks that once bogged down my old desktop are now instantaneous! Once the bane of my existence, importing and converting a full CF card of large RAW files that used to take an excruciating 15 - 20 minutes, now takes only seconds! And sure enough, with 64 Bit Adobe Lightroom - when I hit the import button with performance monitor open, all six cores (and all 12 threads) load up nicely to ~50%. Imported and DNG converted files show up 12 at a time, at a rate of one per second! Same with Photoshop CS5. Complex filters and adjustments are instantaneous. Adobe has done an excellent job implementing the hyper-threading technology of these processors.

The only thing that rivals this CPU's speed is the slowness at which it ships! Ordered mine from Amazon on Dec 22, finally shipped on February 20. I guess every nerd on the planet has an order in for one! Had my entire system built for weeks waiting for it to show up. Just dropped it in and away we went! Never looked back! Well worth the wait!

Paragon TP-4 Theater Pop 4-Ounce Popper Popcorn Machine
Paragon TP-4 Theater Pop 4-Ounce Popper Popcorn Machine
Price: Click here to see our price
17 used & new from $274.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Made in America Quality!, January 28, 2012
This is the real deal for serious popcorn aficionados! A perfect example of the old adage: "you get what you pay for". Quite a refreshing change from the world of cheap Chinese imports sold at the retail box stores. This machine is bomb proof - powder coated steel, anodized aluminum, stainless steel, tempered glass, commercial grade electrical components, and twice the wattage of the plastic copycats. A true Culinary Mechanical Masterpiece. Buy this one and you will be happily popping away for life! Buy a cheapo import and you will be hungry and miserable standing in the merchandise return line!

Canada Goose Men's Constable Parka
Canada Goose Men's Constable Parka
Price: $749.95 - $880.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised!, December 16, 2011
This is the third Canada Goose Jacket I have owned (one returned though). As with all CG jackets it is very high quality, but also has some quirks - some good, others not so.

Pros:
Not made in China!
Slim styling, not as big and bulky as my big Resolute Parka but still plenty warm - so this one is ideal for around town wear when conditions are not severe.
Clean appearance - I vehemently dislike the "pineapple" type jackets that are so popular these days.
Longer length providing better coverage than Bomber parkas (like the Chilliwack which I returned).
Removable hood with drawstring - also has a "real collar" unlike the non-removable hood parkas.
Back Strap for hanging (though it does say "Constable" in bold letters, it is neatly covered by the hood when down).

Cons:
Would be nice if the collar was fleece lined.
Some reviews have mentioned the draft effect. There is a waist drawstring but it doesn't have "keepers" so you must tie it in a knot (weird). I haven't had the draft problem, but I could see if one was really skinny it might be a problem.
No "pen pocket" on the sleeve like some of the other CG parkas.
Pockets are not fleece lined for hand warming purposes. Not a huge issue if you carry gloves, but I can see this as one of the biggest complaints I have with this jacket.

Now for the surprising part.
First: This is the first CG jacket I've owned where the sizing was spot on. My Resoulute Parka is a medium because the large was big enough for two full grown adults, while the Chilliwack was sized small so I bought an XL. This time the Large fits just right.
Second: Clearly, this parka is advertised for the "tactical" side zippers supposedly designed for law enforcement allowing quick access to a sidearm. While I really didn't even consider this when buying the jacket, this turns out to be the best feature of the jacket! The side zippers really do work! - allowing instant access to my cell phone and belt carried flashlight, regular pants pockets for keys, change, etc. And even easy access to my wallet in the back. In today's age of electronic, belt carried gadgets, I'm surprised more jackets don't have this feature! NICE!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2013 6:52 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3