Profile for B. Davis > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 544

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Davis "crazy about books" RSS Feed (Beautiful Northwest USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kingdom of Summer
Kingdom of Summer
by Gillian Bradshaw
Price: $12.83
67 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars mystical, August 20, 2011
This review is from: Kingdom of Summer (Paperback)
Bradshaw has written many best-sellers. "Kingdom of Summer", the 2nd book in Gillian Bradshaw's Arthurian trilogy is certainly one of the best. Continuing in the model of a Tolkien epic, the reader will find action, magic, and romance; characters that are well-defined and easy to relate to; and a story-line that is mystical. It was a joy to read. Thank you to SourceBooks Landmark for my review copy.

The Long Night: William L. Shirer and the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
The Long Night: William L. Shirer and the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
by Steve Wick
103 used & new from $1.29

4.0 out of 5 stars History buffs will like it., August 17, 2011
This is definitely a story worth reading; the story of a courageous journalist, William L. Shirer, and his exceptional message to the world. It is very well-written, historical in nature...a page turner. The only thing I didn't like was the small print, which has nothing to do with the author's quality of work. I would highly recommend it to history buffs, especially those with good eyesight. lol. Thank you to the author for my review copy.

Good Manners for a Little Princess
Good Manners for a Little Princess
by Tammie Lyon
Price: $11.63
37 used & new from $5.90

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Intro to Manners, August 17, 2011
I am so happy to find this book on manners for little girls. In a world that seems to have forgotten the importance of gracious living, kindness, courtesy, and good taste, it is with great appreciation to the author, Kelly Chapman, that I recommend this work. It is well-written and full of colorful illustrations that will delight and instruct young girls from about 4 through 9 years of age. Thank you to Harvest House for my review copy. I will pass it on to a little friend of mine.

Down a Dark Hall
Down a Dark Hall
by Lois Duncan
Price: $8.89
65 used & new from $2.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly Dark, August 17, 2011
This review is from: Down a Dark Hall (Paperback)
I didn't know what to expect when I started reading this book, but it did not take long for me to become totally involved with the characters and the mysterious events within the story. Ms. Duncan has created a book that will appeal to readers who can't resist a hauntingly dark, spooky adventure...which is most of us. Down a Dark Hall churns with chilling suspense and the anticipation of evil lurking around every corner. Once I started reading, I found it to be a quick, exciting read.

(Thank you to Hackette book group for my review copy.)

Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales (Peter Rabbit)
Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales (Peter Rabbit)
by Beatrix Potter
Price: $24.86
82 used & new from $17.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Edition, August 16, 2011
I bought this for our grandson's first birthday and it arrived just in time. It is gift quality, housed in a slip-jacket, and beautifully illustrated. Although, he is too young to appreciate it now, I am hoping he will love it later on as so many other children have throughout the years. It is definitely a keepsake item and would be perfect as a baby shower gift or for a birthday, as we did. I highly recommend this gorgeous book.

Trend Lab Fabric Covered Photo Frame, Caterpillar
Trend Lab Fabric Covered Photo Frame, Caterpillar
Price: $11.95
2 used & new from $10.89

5.0 out of 5 stars nice frame, August 16, 2011
I bought this frame for a child's room. It is padded all around. The window is plexiglass (plastic). Good quality and perfect for my purpose. Will buy another.

Good Manners for a Little Warrior
Good Manners for a Little Warrior
by Kelly Chapman
21 used & new from $5.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Noble manners, August 11, 2011
Consideration for others seems to be a thing of the past in the fast-paced world of today. In Good Manners for a Little Warrior, Luke has not yet discovered the importance of manners, but after traveling on a big make-believe adventure, he becomes aware of the need to put Matt. 7:12 ("do unto others") into practice. Good Manners for a Little Warrior is a great teaching tool for parents, grandparents (like me), the church school setting, or anyone else who is interested in imparting good manners. I highly recommend it! Thank you to Harvest House Publishers for my review copy. I will pass it on to the young members of my family.

Exposure
Exposure
by Donna Ball
Price: $14.20
13 used & new from $12.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Great from beginning to end, August 10, 2011
This review is from: Exposure (Paperback)
Jessamine Cray, a popular talk show host, is receiving weird notes from an unknown stalker. His question: "Have you ever done anything you are ashamed of?" As she tries to dismiss the person as just another creep, Jess receives a prom dress stained with what appears to be blood. Then when she finds herself trapped in a dark stairwell with someone who obviously is out to get her, she realizes that some people are more than just talk. What connection does the dress have with her? Does this person know her personally? Who are they? How much do they know about her life history? Is she in serious danger? EXPOSURE hits the ground running, keeps moving, and ends strong. Donna Ball's novel is brilliant; it made my heart race; I could feel the fear. The entire book is very well written and kept me on the edge of my seat! I highly recommend it. Thank you to the author for my review copy. And congratulations Ms. Ball on a job well done!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2011 6:40 AM PDT

Robert Ludlum's (TM) The Bourne Dominion (Jason Bourne Novels)
Robert Ludlum's (TM) The Bourne Dominion (Jason Bourne Novels)
by Eric Van Lustbader
Price: $26.96
77 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely done, August 8, 2011
When I started reading this book, I had not read others of the series, so I was going into it quite cold. It did take several chapters playing catch up, but I finally got into the story-line and characters and enjoyed it. I do think a reader would be happier reading the full series for continuity and context. On the upside, the novel flows nicely and is well-written. Thank you to Hachette Book Group for my review copy.

Saveur: The New Comfort Food - Home Cooking from Around the World
Saveur: The New Comfort Food - Home Cooking from Around the World
by James Oseland
Price: $24.01
74 used & new from $9.04

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star, Gift Quality, August 4, 2011
As a reviewer, I try to look at the cookbook from a buyer's perspective. What would I find if I opened it physically in the bookstore or library. What type of recipes would I find; who is the cookbook directed toward; are there nice photos; are there charts, etc.; what are some unique aspects of the cookbook. As an experienced cook and having won numerous awards, I feel that I am able to judge whether the book is worth buying and I try to impart this to the reader.

The New Comfort Food is definitely a beautiful 5 star, gift quality creation. I am amazed at the many full-page color photos and the simple but impressive recipes. It is a cookbook that could easily go on your coffee table as well as in your kitchen. As I mentioned, the recipes are not too complicated and look delicious. Recipes include: Spring Rolls with Chile-Garlic Sauce; Golden Potato Latkes; Mushroom and Herb Crostini; Herbed Tomato Tart; Creamy Corn Chowder; German Split Pea Soup; Fettuccine Alfredo; Vegetarian Lasagne; Grilled Lobster with Cilantro-Chile Butter; Zucchini Fritters; Key Lime Pie; and much more. I did try the Boone Tavern's Spoonbread and found it to be soft and yummy and would go great with a ham dinner. There is also a section on mixed drinks in the back of the book!

The New Comfort Food would make an excellent gift or a beautiful, informative addition to one's personal collection. Thank you to the author for my review copy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2011 4:52 PM PDT