Profile for B. Davis > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 544

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Davis "crazy about books" RSS Feed (Beautiful Northwest USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Living Beyond Your Feelings: Controlling Emotions So They Don't Control You
Living Beyond Your Feelings: Controlling Emotions So They Don't Control You
by Joyce Meyer
Price: $17.57
162 used & new from $0.67

5.0 out of 5 stars tools for joy, October 17, 2011
How many times each day do we ladies get our feelings hurt or respond in some hurtful way to family, friends, or co-workers? If you are like me, it is difficult, at times, to control emotions and live in a God-centered way. Joyce Meyers is someone we can count on to set us on the right course so that we can live the life of joy that God has designed for us. In her new book, Living Beyond Your Feelings, Ms. Meyers offers us tools for our Christian journey. She explains the basic personality types, old memories, stress, fear, etc, and how those things play into our everyday experience and relationships. Finally, we can learn to control our emotions and live in peace with those around us. This is another home-run book by Joyce Meyers! (Thank you to Hachette Book Group for my free review copy!)

How to Defeat Harmful Habits: Freedom from Six Addictive Behaviors (Counseling Through the Bible Series)
by June Hunt
43 used & new from $5.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of helpful info, October 17, 2011
This would be a very helpful book for any Christian pastor, councilor. or layperson. The information is written in simple to understand terminology and based on Christian principles. It contains over 400 pages of excellent advice on common addictions, from anorexia to gambling addiction (see product description above). It is also filled with question and answers, and inspiring scriptures. (Thank you to Harvest House Publishers for my free review copy.)

Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible: The New Classic Guide to Delicious Dishes with More Than 300 Recipes
by Melissa Clark
Price: $23.12
185 used & new from $0.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything Southern, October 13, 2011
I just received my Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible and I'm very excited. There are so many wonderful southern recipes here! Having been raised in the south, but transplanted elsewhere in the country, I'm forever craving the food I was raised on. I'm finding many of those foods/dishes in this book. The recipe for coconut cake sounds heavenly. There are also recipes for biscuits; fried chicken; grits; sweet potatoes; okra; creamed potatoes; corn bread; scones; fritters; all kinds of pies; piecrust dough; stack cake; red velvet cake; puddings; candy; jams and jellies; and much much more! There aren't as many color photos as I expected, but that's not a problem, since the recipes are straight-forward and written in terms most cooks can understand. Ms. Deene also gives tips with each recipe, written it seems, in her own words.

I feel Southern Cooking Bible is excellent and expect I'll use it many times.
It would also make an excellent holiday, wedding, or birthday gift.

UPDATE: My daughter-in-law loves mine, so I'm buying one for her today.
UPDATE #2: My daughter-in-law made the Pepper Jelly for a Halloween party that I attended. It was alsolutely delicious!!! She served it over a block of softened cream cheese, but it could also go with chicken, turkey, etc, or on sandwiches.

The Lament: Selected Poems and Prose
The Lament: Selected Poems and Prose
by Ercell H. Hoffman
Price: $9.95
21 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, October 5, 2011
I tend to approach books of poetry with a bit of trepidation, knowing that the poet's soul lies bare within the pages of their collections. I wasn't sure what I would find in The Lament or how I would write a positive review if I didn't enjoy or relate to the work. But I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised with this author. The Lament (Selected Poems and Prose) is insightful; beautiful and emotional; intense yet humble. Ercell H. Hoffman understands the human condition and is able to put into words the feelings most of us are unable to articulate. I especially liked The Birth of a Poem. I will proudly keep this volume alongside more prominent poets. If you enjoy poetry, I highly recommend The Lament. 5 stars***** Thank you to the author for my review copy.

Cyber Meltdown: Bible Prophecy and the Imminent Threat of Cyberterrorism
Cyber Meltdown: Bible Prophecy and the Imminent Threat of Cyberterrorism
by Ron Rhodes
Price: $13.99
39 used & new from $1.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious stuff, October 2, 2011
This is a terrific read for those who are following Bible prophecy and the end-times. It covers end-times wars and the dangers in modern technologies. For anyone who has ever wondered how computer viruses spread or how terrorists can use cyberspace against the USA and our countries, this important book gives us the answers. Christians are warned in Holy Scripture to watch the signs of the times and to use them as a way of recognizing the end days. Cyber Meltdown will certainly open the eyes of the reader. There is not a lot serenity in this book, though, so be aware that it may be upsetting to sensitive readers. Highly recommend. Thank you to Harvest House Publishers for my free review copy.

Keys to the Castle
Keys to the Castle
by Donna Ball
Price: $5.60
62 used & new from $1.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Donna Ball is one of my favorite authors, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Keys to the Castle (Paperback)
Sara Graves has fallen in love with and married a man that she knows very little about, other than he is a handsome French poet. Shortly after the marriage he dies and leaves her with the responsibility of settling his estate in France. Upon arriving in France, where the laws and customs are foreign to Sara, she finds that her deceased husband was the owner of a castle which she must sell. This story is about lost love, finding a new romance, and an unexpected mid-life decision.

Like other Donna Ball novels, this one is well-written, delightful with unexpected twists and turns, and moves along swiftly. Ms. Ball has become one of my favorite authors! Thank you goes to her for my review copy. 5 stars*****

Night Night Blessings
Night Night Blessings
by Amy Parker
Edition: Board book
Price: $7.65
78 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A sweet way to go to sleep, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Night Night Blessings (Board book)
Night Night Blessings by Amy Parker, illustrated by Marijan Ramljak, is a delightful and colorful board book for little ones to have read to them as they go to sleep at night. It helps children realize and understand that God has provided blessing for them throughout their day; that God is loving, giving, and personal, caring about his children. It teaches them at an early age to look for and appreciate the wonderful things they freely receive and that the important things are the free gifts from their Creator. It is a book of gratitude above all else. What a pleasant way for little ones to go to sleep at night! The child in Night Night Blessings thanks God for various blessings like the food we eat; the games we play and the fun we have; our pets and how much they love us; favorite toys; home and family; little things like a bubble bath; daddy's prayers and mommy's kisses; and the beautiful world God has made and His love for us. It is written in rhyme and the illustrations are very sweet. The popular children's book Night Night Prayer was also written by this author. Thank you to Thomas Nelson Publishers for my review copy.

Every Day a Friday: How to Be Happier 7 Days a Week
Every Day a Friday: How to Be Happier 7 Days a Week
by Joel Osteen
Price: $18.74
308 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars great motivational tool, September 14, 2011
I absolutely loved this book. It is NOT preachy, yet it is very motivational and biblical in content, containing many scripture references and stories. Once I read a page or two I decided to use it for my daily/morning routine. I got so excited about the universal/biblical truth in it that every morning after my readings I would post something about it on my FaceBook status! I couldn't help talking about the wonderful life I have found. Joel Osteen just brings that out of the reader. I couldn't help but talk about it.

If you are looking for something uplifting/motivational, this is it! I could almost hear Joel's voice while I read his words. I could see his smile and imagine his bubbly personality. His message of positive thinking is infectious. The book is all about setting your mind on happiness and not letting negative people and feelings take over. It's about laughing through life, giving value to yourself, forgiveness, love, living as Christ intended, and is definintely Bible based. I HIGHLY recommend it!! 5 stars*****

(Thank you goes to Hachette Book Group for my review copy.)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2011 9:29 PM PDT

Solvit PupSTEP Wood Pet Stairs, Extra Large
Solvit PupSTEP Wood Pet Stairs, Extra Large
Offered by 1-800-PetSupplies
Price: $119.99
20 used & new from $69.36

5.0 out of 5 stars good for our dog, September 12, 2011
We have a schnauzer that sleeps nightly on our bed. He is 6 years old and has started to have some shoulder problems. We bought this to help relieve the pain he seemed to be in. The stairs are very durable, well-made, is just the right height for our tall bed, and the steps are easy to climb. It also folds up easily for storage. Highly recommended.

Sing Along CD Player
Sing Along CD Player
Offered by MMP Living
Price: $56.25
20 used & new from $35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice gift, September 12, 2011
This review is from: Sing Along CD Player (Toy)
I bought this last year for my little great-granddaughter. She immediately loved it and I'm told that she stills plays with it. It is durable and entertaining.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20