Profile for Susan R. Meyer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 239

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Susan R. Meyer "Life Architect" RSS Feed (New York, New York)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tom's Of Maine Daily Moisture Body Wash, Citrus Berry, 12 Ounce
Tom's Of Maine Daily Moisture Body Wash, Citrus Berry, 12 Ounce
Price: $17.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, October 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My skin feels smoother and less dry after using this and there's none of that greasy, slide out of the shower feeling that is often present in moisturizing body washes. Tom's is certainly a reliable company, and I appreciate the lack of odd-sounding chemicals. I was a bit puzzled by the fragrance, which seemed more peach baby food than citrus or berries, but the aroma did not last past the shower, so isn't a drawback.

Woman with a Gun: A Novel
Woman with a Gun: A Novel
by Phillip Margolin
Price: $20.33
140 used & new from $3.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing is What You Think, October 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Even when you think you know who the murderer is, you don't know. Margolin doesn't so much twist and turn as widen the view. We start with a narrow focus - a young woman viewing a photography exhibit and widen, widen, widen to reveal interconnections among characters and layers of their lives. Even when I began to figure out who the murderer was, I couldn't figure out how anyone else knew. Truly masterful.

FoodSaver FM2100-000 Vacuum Sealing System
FoodSaver FM2100-000 Vacuum Sealing System
Price: $90.65
10 used & new from $68.13

4.0 out of 5 stars No More Freezer Burn, October 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Many of my friends have vacuum sealing systems and swear by them. Although, overall, more expensive than freezer bags, the idea of no more freezer burn seems well worth the cost. So, when the opportunity presented itself, I jumped at it. If I had a bit more space or better mechanical skills, I might, like many of my fellow reviewers, have given this product five stars.

I have a typical urban apartment kitchen, so I don't have a good space to set up the FoodSaver. The short cord complicates this as I also have to figure out how to get close to an outlet while allowing sufficient space to work. Also, I'm mechanically challenged, so managed to totally mess up my first attempt. Still, I've checked my successful attempt daily and find no evidence of freezer burn, while I see suspicious ice formations in the unsuccessful attempt that ended up in a traditional freezer bag.

One tip from another reviewer is to have the bag/contents level with the interior of the device. This makes good sense, as I suspect that the weight of the stew caused my first attempt to end in a cut but only partially sealed bag. I know that I will get better at sealing and will more fully appreciate this sealing system. It is quick and quiet. The manual is blissfully readable.

That most of the other reviewers are repeat owners tells you a lot about this product. The potential for savings far outweighs the cost of the bags. The amount of freezer-burned salmon I've thrown out alone covers a year's worth of bags. I'm planning on getting a lot of use out of the FoodSaver.

Shopaholic to the Stars
Shopaholic to the Stars
by Sophie Kinsella
Price: $18.39
137 used & new from $4.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Shopped Out?, October 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For me, Kinsella is a go-to author when I want pure escapism. Her Shopaholic series follows a fairly simple formula: Becky shops too much, spends too much, gets into a predicament and, generally with some help from her friends, straightens everything out for a happy ending. The books are pretty much a perfect break from reality. Becky is good-hearted and well-meaning, much smarter and considerably less selfish than she might appear. It's easy to get drawn into her world and her strange logic. You root for her.

Shopaholic to the Stars, though, is different from the earlier books. I didn't get drawn into this one, although I didn't give up on it either. Becky's current obsession with becoming stylist to the stars leads to a degree of selfishness and disregard for others that has never been part of her character. Her interactions with friends and family seem much more minimal than in the other books. I didn't like her and grew weary of her alternately ignoring and stepping on everyone in her life.

I was pretty much ready to give up on Becky until the very end of the book. In the final pages, it became clear that this will be a two-part story, and the premise for part two is sufficiently intriguing that I will probably give Becky and Kinsella one more chance.

The Deliverance of Evil (A Commissario Balistreri Mystery)
The Deliverance of Evil (A Commissario Balistreri Mystery)
by Roberto Costantini
Price: $18.97
96 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not My Favorite Italian Detective - Might Be Yours, October 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I chose this book because I've enjoyed other Italian detectives. I've enjoyed Donna Leon's Commissario Guido Brunetti. I haven't been able to put down a single one of Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano series. So, I had high hopes for Costantini's Commissario Balistreri. I've picked the book up and put it down a number of times and have not been able to get pulled into the story. It's well written and many of the other reviewers have raved about the book. It simply doesn't work for me. I can't seem to get caught up in either the plot of Balistreri's story. I did skip to the end and found it intriguing.

I'm inviting you to read several of the most positive reviews before passing over this book. In the end, we are each attracted to different detectives. Use the Look Inside feature to sample the book. Then make your own decision.

When Lions Roar: The Churchills and the Kennedys
When Lions Roar: The Churchills and the Kennedys
by Thomas Maier
Price: $22.68
85 used & new from $17.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting But Heavy, September 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is described as "the first comprehensive history of the deeply entwined personal and public lives of the Churchills and the Kennedys and what their “special relationship” meant for Great Britain and the United States." Comprehensive is the key here. This Is very well written, and I learned much about both families. In particular, I was intrigued by Kathleen Kennedy and Pamela Churchill - you generally only read about the men in both families. This is definitely armchair reading though. It's over 700 pages and quite heavy. You're not likely to want to take this along on your daily commute, but it will make for a number of enjoyable, informative evenings at home.

BRIM SW30 Size-Wise Programmable Coffee Station
BRIM SW30 Size-Wise Programmable Coffee Station
Price: $47.99
9 used & new from $30.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Brew Coffee System, September 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a versatile brewing system, with options for a single cup of coffee, a travel mug, or a full pot. It's easy to operate and makes a nice pot of coffee. It's an attractive unit and doesn't take up too much counter space. Although I don't use the programmable feature, it's a nice bonus. For me, the only possible negative is the permanent filter. I prefer paper filters for easy disposal of grounds. I may try adding a paper filter and see how that works. I also own a Keurig and certainly find this less expensive than buying pods and less messy than using my french press.

Barilla Collezione Pasta, Orecchiette, 12 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Barilla Collezione Pasta, Orecchiette, 12 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Price: $37.58
2 used & new from $33.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shape, September 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of Barilla pasta. It stays firm, the flavor is good, and it is specifically recommended on at least one list of lower glycemic level products. The shape creates a little cradle to hold sauce, so this is a very versatile pasta. It is a great substitute for elbows. I've used it in macaroni and cheese and in pasta salads and have been very happy with the results.

The News Sorority: Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour-and the (Ongoing, Imperfect, Complicated) Triumph of Women in TV News
by Sheila Weller
Price: $22.19
106 used & new from $4.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Uphill All the Way, September 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sheila Weller somehow manages to make this book cozy - a little like hearing a story over coffee and cookies in front of a fireplace on a cold winter's evening - without in any way sacrificing the in-depth research and seriousness of her topic. I felt like I knew these three women, a phenomenon I remembered from Weller's Girls Like Us. Although I've followed the careers of these three women, much of their stories was new to me. At first, I missed the other women who struggled along with Diane, Katie and Christiane, but I realized that it would have been impossible to include anyone else without diluting the three stories included. You'll be so engrossed that you'll forget how long this book is.

DII Home Essentials Rag Rug for Kitchen, Bathroom, Entry Way, Laundry Room and Bedroom, 20 x 31.5" Nautical Blue
Price: $10.99
2 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So Pretty!, September 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great, functional little rug. It's comfortable to stand on. It fits most bathrooms. It looks like it will hold up really well. So far, it's surviving a bit of clawing by the cats just fine. What I hadn't expected is that it's prettier than the picture.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20