Profile for OJ Silk > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 33

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

OJ Silk RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
LG Electronics 60LB5900 60-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED TV
LG Electronics 60LB5900 60-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED TV
Price: Click here to see our price
8 used & new from $855.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't need SMART functionality, this one's for you!, August 29, 2014
If you're looking for a 2014 model without Smart TV Functionality, less than $1,000 & amazing picture -- you've found what you're looking for --
1) Great price for a quality 60-inch LED ($879 average).
2) Don't want Smart TV features (or 3D) -- prefer connecting to Xbox1, PS4, AppleTV, Roku or Amazon Fire TV.
3) Excellent picture w/good refresh rate (seems better than 120Hz).
4) Good sound from the two-10 watt speakers (20-watts total).
5) Love the matte/silver bezel. Thin, Modern & Elegant (if you want black, this isn't for you).

Notes:
1) Only 2 HDMI inputs. That works well with my current setup as I only use 1 (Xfiniti X1 box runs through Xbox1). Still leaves me with a spare, however, some may need more.
2) Shares common LED issue -- Side viewing angle. Meant to be watched front and center.
3) If you're looking for SmartTV features, this is not for you. I was looking for TVs without these features since I have them available through other sources and didn't want to pay extra $200+ to have them.

For me, this was the perfect TV. I was looking for a good quality 60-inch LED, without having to pay extra for Smart TV functionality or 3D. Very satisfied with my purchase.

UFC - PlayStation 4
UFC - PlayStation 4
Price: $29.96
72 used & new from $27.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too many button combinations, June 17, 2014
This review is from: UFC - PlayStation 4 (Video Game)
I've played many UFC games going back a while, including THQ's UFC Undisputed series & EA Sports MMA.

Here are my first impressions since the game just came out -- it's OK. I have three main gripes so far:
1) Way too many button combinations. You'll need to invest a lot of time to master these. It's hard to dodge punches & defend takedowns.
2) Unrealistic striking as the amount landed is insane. Most of them don't show proper/necessary impact. Many strikes just bounce off without damage. You can land a perfect strike & the damage will be that of an ordinary jab.
3) Striking graphics are also strange & not as good as the Undisputed series or Fight Night (Boxing, EA). The knockout animations are inferior to prior offerings. Sometimes a strike doesn't seem to land (or barely graze), yet it's the knockout blow (almost like a ghost punch).

On the positive side -- the game is still fun to play & the roster is great. It includes current, retired (ie. St. Pierre) & legendary fighters (ie. Liddell). As many know, Bruce Lee was also included (pre-order bonus). Royce Gracie can be unlocked or purchased as well. All the fighter models look great.

I will post an update as I spend more time with the game (career mode, etc.). But wanted to give a first impression for anyone who wanted to get an opinion from someone who's actually played the game. So far, a little disappointing but that may change once I spend more time with it.

Borderlands 2 - Limited Edition - PlayStation Vita Bundle
Borderlands 2 - Limited Edition - PlayStation Vita Bundle
Price: $199.96
134 used & new from $184.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying: PS Vita Slim better than original, May 9, 2014
I bought original PS Vita at launch & trade it in after a year or so.
Due to PSVita/PS4's remote play capabilities -- I bought this one.

Therefore, I feel qualified to do a comparison but I won't bore you with a long review about everything -- instead I'll address some highlights:

Battery: Significantly improved. I could tell the difference right away. Biggest + IMO. (2+ hours of extra gameplay).
Buttons: I prefer the larger/circular PS/Start/Select buttons. Much easier to press than before. Triggers nice too.
Charging: You can now use micro USB & even charge with your iPhone's tiny charger. (great portability).
Design: Doesn't feel like cheap plastic to me (metal rim removed). Game slot alone & prefer Pwr/Volume on top.
Downloads: They take too long. This was also the case with the original version.
Game bundled (Borderlands): Naturally not as great as console brother (as all others) but a good/fun port.
Memory: 8gb card/1gb flash included (can't use together). In a perfect world, Sony should have 16-32gb included.
Rear touchpad: Improved also. Bigger rest area & smaller touch area. Easier to use than before. Less mistakes.
Screen: No big difference (OLED a tiny bit more vibrant). Overall, I like the LED screen + no more black spots.
Size: I noticed a big difference. Feels much lighter than specs indicate (15-20%). More comfortable to hold.

Summary: Lots of improvements over original. I prefer the overall design that drops the metal rim (it does not feel cheaper to me). What it did is make it lighter, which is nice. Most importantly, it adds 2+ hours of battery (which is huge for portable gaming). However, if you don't have 20/20 vision -- some games are hard to see. Everyone has different needs, for me I wish there was a system just like this one with a 7 to 10-inch screen. (but, I don't think the market calls for it unfortunately).

MLB 14: The Show
MLB 14: The Show
Price: $39.65
117 used & new from $28.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a huge upgrade over MLB 13 PS3, May 7, 2014
This review is from: MLB 14: The Show (Video Game)
I love this series (since MLB 08) & finally 2K's horrible game has bowed out. If you're a Baseball fan -- Playstation is your home.

I expected to be wowed by this PS4 version, I was not. It's very similar to last year's PS3 version.
I don't own the '14 PS3 version but read that it's a graphical upgrade port w/suggested 1080p vs. 720p. Identical features (but long load times -- I can attest, very long load times).

Positives:
Quick count gives you the option to play faster games.
Cool feature to be able to save/use your franchise in next year's game.
Excellent Baseball atmosphere throughout game + lifelike animations.
Cross play available w/PS Vita.

Neutral:
Gameplay is very similar. Hitting's hard (as in real baseball but & you can tweak difficulty/sliders).
Commentary is very similar (same crew/style -- a little boring but overall good & w/little repetition).
Graphics slightly better than PS3 (Mixed bag -- better (Stadiums, crowds, signs) & worse (clay-like faces).

Negatives:
Longer load times before games (big negative IMO).
At least 1 hour to install files before you can initially begin play.
I don't personally like the ball trail (reminiscent of FOX NHL back in the day). *update 5/8 can be turned off.
Disappointed in overall improvement over PS3 (or lack there of).

In summary, I still love the game (this and 2K NBA are my favorite franchises). But I'd be lying if I said I was wowed by this release. If you own a PS4 only & love baseball, this is a no brainer. If you already bought the PS3 version, not so much.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2014 7:09 AM PDT

NBA 2K14 - PlayStation 4
NBA 2K14 - PlayStation 4
Price: $25.94
199 used & new from $13.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Next Gen Sports game at launch -- worth buying for sure, November 15, 2013
I'm a sports gamer & NBA 2K14 is the best "Next Gen" experience of the 3 sports titles at launch (FIFA, Madden).
When NBA 2K came out on Dreamcast, I remember the "wow" factor when comparing it to N64 & PS1 basketball games.
Based on what I had read prior to lauch about Next Gen systems, I was not expecting be "wow-ed" again, but I was wrong. The game looks & plays noticeably better than PS3 versions (I played them all from 2K7 to 2K14). The ball physics are great, there are many more animations & the PS4 controller gives a much better feel. Also, this game is not a port of the PS3 version -- evident in the gameplay & the pre-loaded 9/27 rosters. Of all the 3 sports games, I like this one the best -- it's a PS4 show-off for sure. FIFA is also very good while Madden is ok at best. Kudos to 2K as they continue to raise the bar with every release. This and MLB The Show are the two finest sports franchises in video gaming.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2013 2:23 AM PST

PlayStation 4 Console
PlayStation 4 Console
Price: $399.00
301 used & new from $340.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a huge leap over PS3... still a nice upgrade, November 15, 2013
This review is from: PlayStation 4 Console (Video Game)
Kudos to Amazon & UPS for release date delivery before 1:00 pm.

Overall: Impressive machine. Is it leaps and bounds over the PS3? No but it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Below are some notes of upgrades over PS3:

-- Improved controller: DS4 dramatically better than DS3 (can be charged w/PS4 off)
-- Improved User Interface, very fluid (you can hop in & out of Menus during games).
-- Graphics are noticeably better. Very crisp at 1080p.
-- Web browser is useful, unlike the PS3 version that was terrible.
-- Vita remote play is nice when someone wants to use the TV.
-- Easy setup out of the box (HDMI included) + no huge power brick like Xbox.
-- Trophies sync nice & fast. Sync was temperamental on PS3.
-- Nice, clean design (buttons, disc tray & logos hardly noticeable).
-- All apps load & run faster (including Netflix, Amazon Prime & Playstation Store).
-- Included in the box are: $10 free PSN credit & 1 free month of PS plus.

Caution: I have read of several units arriving DOA or having HDMI connection issues. That really su***. As for me, I guess I was one of the lucky ones who got a working unit. I have played NBA 2k14, FIFA 14 and Madden 14. The graphics and frame rates are smooth. Plus the ball physics & the AI are noticeably improved. On a 10-point scale, NBA 2K14's a 9.5, FIFA's a 9.0 & Madden's a 6.5.

Happy I decided to upgrade. Enjoy playing (if you got a working unit)...

Madden NFL 25 Anniversary Edition with NFL Sunday Ticket - Playstation 3
Madden NFL 25 Anniversary Edition with NFL Sunday Ticket - Playstation 3

4.0 out of 5 stars NFL Ticket works, streaming (we'll see) & Madden franchise is back, August 28, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
As a non-DirecTV subscriber, I'd pay $99 for the NFL Sunday Ticket alone (normally $300 unless you're a new subscriber). Thankfully, I will not be overpaying for bad food & far seats without volume at the local bars anymore.

NFL SUNDAY TICKET:
The big question here is: How good will the quality of the streaming be? There are plenty of questions surrounding DirecTV's servers. We'll see on September 8th. As for the code, it works. All you have to do is visit the website: DirecTV.com/EASpecial and click on the "Start Watching" button.
Simply put in the unique "username" and "password" provided on the insert inside the game case. To watch from your tablet or phone, download the DirecTV Sunday Ticket app and enter these same credentials.

MADDEN 25 GAME:
As for the game, last year's big gripe was -- no franchise mode.
Well, the traditional Madden franchise mode is back. EA obviously realized how much people disliked last year's Madden & brought it back. Besides that, the menus are great & the graphics seem a little more polished. But overall, it doesn't seem much different to me. It's Madden, which is not a bad thing. In terms of sports games though, I think it still trails MLB the Show & NBA 2K.

Football season starts with Madden and this year it's better than ever with the addition of the NFL Sunday ticket. Even if streaming quality isn't great, for $40 extra it's great value. Good deal from Amazon, DirecTV & EA Sports. Overall, 4/5.

PS3 250 GB Uncharted 3 and PS Plus Bundle
PS3 250 GB Uncharted 3 and PS Plus Bundle
Offered by DownInTazmania
Price: $299.95
36 used & new from $174.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value in gaming, July 31, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Bundle comes with Uncharted 3 GOTY edition & 1-year's worth of PS+ (which guarantees you tons of free games & other discounts ongoing). You can dowload all this free content on the 250gb Hard Drive. All best if enjoyed in High Def 1080p but no HDMI cable included, must be purchased separately. As for the bundled game, Uncharted 3 -- it's one of the best games of this generation.

Quiet, small machine. Excellent games -- lots of first party titles -- ie. Uncharted 3 (included), The Last of Us, Heavy Rain & MLB the Show (best Baseball game by far). Free online play for those who enjoy CoD, Battlefield, etc. System can recharge controller's battery via USB and lasts a long time (no extra $$$ buying batteries or charging stations).

Blu-Ray player included and it's always updated. 3D-compatible, too. With the PS4 knocking on the door, there are huge advantages to buying a PS3 as you get a smaller, quieter & more efficient machine w/lots of great deals on games. All in all, a tremendous entertainment package at a very reasonable price. 5-stars, no doubt.

Pros:
Powerful, sleek & quiet system.
250gb hard drive.
Free online play.
Blue-Ray player (always updated).
Netflix & Amazon video apps.
Rechargeable wireless controller (via system).
One year PS+ (instant game collection).
Uncharted 3 game.
No power brick (power source inside system).

Cons:
No HDMI cable included.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2013 11:48 AM PDT

Dell XPS 12 12.5-Inch Convertible 2-in-1 Touchscreen Ultrabook
Dell XPS 12 12.5-Inch Convertible 2-in-1 Touchscreen Ultrabook
Offered by splendor kaleidoscope
Price: $795.00
35 used & new from $549.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I wanted: PC & Tablet, April 24, 2013
I've only had the XPS 12 for a week and so far, I'm impressed. Everything works great. I've had no trackpad issues at all. I got the i5-4gb version and due to the SSD, it works as well as my old XPS L502X (i7, 8gb) and that's saying a lot. WiFi is very good (tested speeds at home/work & I'm getting higher speeds than all my other devices). Flip screen & overall build is solid -- feels sturdy, not cheap (long lasting). Keyboard feels good, not cramped & its back lit. Speakers are surprisingly good IMO. On the net, I watched several reviews with the only complaints being 1) the trackpad, which is working nicely for me and 2) too heavy as a tablet -- sure, it's not an iPad but I didn't expect it to be. Still, very nice though. For those who have not used Windows 8, it takes a bit of getting used to (but easy). Best way I can describe it -- it's like having two operating systems (Win7 & Win8). Another plus -- minimal bloatware. There are other options out there -- ie. -- smaller tablets like the Surface (you'll have to buy a keyboard & accessories) or other convertibles like the Lenovo Yoga (keyboard is unprotected when flipped, feels odd). This may not be for everyone, but it fits the bill for me, like it a lot.

**UPDATE 5/25/13***
I've used the XPS 12 over a month and everything works great. I paired it with a Toshiba Dynadock (running two extra screens, wireless keyboard/mouse, printer/scanner, Ethernet & extra USB 3.0s) and it's great in Desktop mode. As mentioned above, I'm very pleased. Excellent portability, solid tablet & wonderful desktop. I use it for everything -- work & personal. Love it.

**UPDATE 11/26/13**
Six months later & still loving it. Working great. Favorite computer I've ever owned.

MLB 13 The Show - Playstation 3
MLB 13 The Show - Playstation 3
Offered by OceanDirect Tech (NO TAX anywhere)
Price: $21.52
169 used & new from $8.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Another HR, w/out showing up the pitcher, March 6, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'm a big sports fan & "MLB The Show" is THE reason I play PS3 instead of the Xbox 360 -- since all other sports games are available in multiple platforms.
I've loved this game series since the '08 edition with Ryan Howard on the cover. Every year it improves a little, never worse -- a few enhancements, features & updates -- and I'm a happy customer.
As for this year's edition (subtle changes) -- they added the fielding throwing meter, The Show live (parallel w/real MLB's results, injuries & transactions) and little details (ie. ball physics, batter timeout), which I notice more & more as I play on.
If you're looking for lots of changes & own last year's, don't buy this game. If you're like me (love the series) and adopt the "if it ain't broke, don't fix", then a few updates, features & updates make it a winner.
The game was 5-stars for me in 2012 and remains that way. It'll be interesting to see what they'll do for next year's PS4 edition...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4