Profile for H. Burwell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

H. Burwell "hank_in_georgia" RSS Feed (Athens, GA USA)

Under the Skin
Under the Skin
DVD ~ Jeremy McWilliams
Price: $14.59

4.0 out of 5 stars The book is especially good, June 29, 2014
This review is from: Under the Skin (DVD)
The film by-passed my small town art theater, so I'm waiting patiently for the DVD to come my way. I did read the book, and found it to be outstanding. The story is heavily metaphoric, which is a turn-off to some, as evidenced by some of the reviews here. I'm old enough to remember the early reviews of Stanley Kubrick's 2001 (which was also highly metaphoric) and the negative reviews and comments to be read in the newspapers & magazines of the day. For those who found the film confusing, I'd recommend giving the book a chance. The author is quite good, and the story is easier to follow in text form (as I hear from others). It has a full 4 stars on Amazon. And oh, BTW, the lead character's name is Isserly, which apparently isn't revealed in the film. Take a second look and see if you can figure out the double-meaning of the title......

Die for Me
Die for Me
by Karen Rose
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.99
213 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming and Terrifying, September 16, 2013
This review is from: Die for Me (Mass Market Paperback)
I sincerely loved this book. Ms. Rose has a talent for seriously nasty villains, but she also has a talent for interpersonal relationships. For me, these are what bring humanity to a harsh story. There's another reviewer here who says the family scenarios detracted. I cannot disagree more strongly. Our families are part of who we are. As we get to know the central characters in this book, we also get to know a great deal about their families, and this makes it a story about *people* more than a story about awful crimes. I enjoyed these people very much - the terrible crimes push the story along, but the people are the best ingredients here. Bravo!

Shame (Blu-ray/ DVD + Digital Copy)
Shame (Blu-ray/ DVD + Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Michael Fassbender
Price: $15.24
39 used & new from $10.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Absence of hope, June 5, 2012
The film-making is competent. I saw nothing beyond that. There is a sort of artsy switch between the majority of the film, which is shot in bleak, dark, harsh colors - and scenes of sexual encounters which are shot in colors of warmth, possibly through a filter which gives emphasis to that.
The story being told is sad, very sad. Bleak. Hopeless. Irreparable. Another reviewer said that the elephant in the room is the untold story of how these people came to be this way. If that is the case (and I have no problem with that interpretation), then the point of the film must be the horrific lifelong effects of such things. I spent the last third of the film considering the question of whether these people would be better off dead. Ultimately, the writer reveals a similar train of thought. The people in the world who are in such a state seem to be beyond the reach of sympathy, pity, or attempts to give help. The tone of the film is oppressively disheartening. The film seems to be built in this way in order to better portray the life's condition of the central characters.

One False Move (Myron Bolitar)
One False Move (Myron Bolitar)
by Harlan Coben
Price: $8.99
171 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A notch above its predecessors, January 23, 2012
I'm reading the Myron Bolitar series in order, so as to preserve the sequencing of relationships, etc. My opinion is that this is the best one so far. I enjoy the edgy narrative and dialogue, especially Myron's sarcastic side comments. What sets this story apart is the amount there is to learn about the relationships in Myron's life. In addition, there's a very well-plotted story here. Between Myron and Win finding their way through the story's maze and the revelations of Myron's circle of relationships, there's a lot to learn and a lot to like. Esperanza gets a bigger role, the Jessica thing is evolving, Myron's parents are part of the story, and there's even something going on with Big Cindy.
Another reviewer suggests that the ending came out of the blue. I disagree. The pieces are there to figure along with Myron. True, it's a lengthy reveal - but it works just fine. There's a lot of story here, and a lot of feelings, and a lot of humanity - and some linkage to the next book as well. Enjoy!

Recon 2022: Mezzo Incident
Recon 2022: Mezzo Incident
DVD ~ Andy Bradshaw
Offered by Media Megalodon
Price: $10.30
31 used & new from $2.10

1.0 out of 5 stars It's awful, just a-w-f-u-l !, December 2, 2011
This review is from: Recon 2022: Mezzo Incident (DVD)
Forty seconds into the film, there's a misspelled word in the opening title roll-up. It's all downhill from there. Wooden dialogue, inappropriate pauses, senseless nudity, Oh my! I can't remember why I bought it, but I wish I hadn't.

Heat Rises (Nikki Heat)
Heat Rises (Nikki Heat)
by Richard Castle
Price: $19.12
157 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the series so far, October 24, 2011
I've read all three of the Heat books. This one, in my opinion, is the best read of the group so far. But in addition, it represents a shift in presentation. Here's my thought on that: In the first two books (especially the first) there was a clear effort to tap into the physical attraction between the two leads. I have no problem with that, none at all. But with this one the story is presented in a broader context, with the emotional portion of their relationship presented as well as the physical. I love the TV series, and that gives me (and probably you as well) a sort of head start on affection for these characters. This story is more complex, the detective aspect of crime solving is presented in greater detail, and the supporting characters are richly written. This is especially true when considered in light of the corresponding characters in the TV show. One of the early reviewers said he hated that it ended - I'm good with that. There was enough laughter, and maybe enough sadness, and certainly enough suspense to make me re-read the book after letting it rest for a couple of weeks. I'd love to know who the ghost writer is. I'd be interested to check out his/her other work.

Dark of the Moon
Dark of the Moon
by John Sandford
88 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book is a reflection of its protagonist, March 30, 2011
This review is from: Dark of the Moon (Hardcover)
I'm surprised to see some of the negatives here. It's my opinion that the pacing of the story is the authors' attempt to mirror the crime-solving approach of Virgil Flowers. He comes into a town, talks to people, gathers facts, shares the facts around, and then watches to see what pops up. Since it's a small town, something always does. Then he can push some more in his unorthodox way. It's interesting because it's *not* Lucas Davenport. Don't get me wrong, I love Lucas D., but Virgil is a different sort of guy. Absolutely not a typical detective. Therefore, his approach to crime-solving is not typical. I say "Way to go, John Sandford." I worry that he may be running out of gas with Lucas, and hope that Virgil can keep him going. And oh, BTW, the crime at the beginning of the book is one of the most brutal accounts I've ever read. It definitely got my attention. Lastly, I agree with the reviewer who opined that Sandford does small-towns well. Looking forward to "Shock Wave."

Retractable Cell Phone Car Charger for Samsung SGH-T139
Retractable Cell Phone Car Charger for Samsung SGH-T139

5.0 out of 5 stars Great size, easy to use, January 4, 2011
The charger is just right to keep in the car. I charge my cell more frequently in the car than in the house, and this one fits easily in a door pocket. The retractable cord keeps it tidy & small, unlike the snaky-cord mess that I used to have. I like it and I recommend it.

Number Munchers
Number Munchers
Offered by Honest Online Selling
Price: $29.98
34 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Number Munchers, July 28, 2006
This review is from: Number Munchers (CD-ROM)
The program is good at what it does. It provides a fairly interesting environment for young people to have drill & practice in fundamental arithmetic. The program has some age on it, and its graphics are dated, but the math is presented in a sound way. As the participant continues, the speed of the program increases, which has the benefit of stretching the concentration of the player. It runs on Windows or Mac platform, and is recommendable for students working below high school level.