Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Profile for D. Burnham > Reviews

Browse

D. Burnham's Profile

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Burnham RSS Feed (Washington, DC United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Ricoh Theta S Digital Camera (Black)
Ricoh Theta S Digital Camera (Black)
Price: $346.95
53 used & new from $320.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Best camera in this price range, April 23, 2016
As an amateur photographer, I love the Theta S! It has brought a totally different perspective to my photos and our recent vacation photos really come to life when combined with a google cardboard device.

The picture quality is good. Don't expect it to match higher end cameras, but it is very respectable. You may loose a little sharpness and ability to zoom in, but you gain a different perspective from the 360 views.

The video quality is not there yet as others have commented, but you can capture videos and still enjoy them. Check out some YouTube searches for examples of the quality.

The recent software update added a timer, which is very handy. I usually shoot on a small pole or mini tripod so that my thumb and hand are not prominent features in the movie and the timer helps so that I don't need to phone as a trigger.

Where I think this shines is in comparison to others in a similar price point. Yes, this is not perfect, but it is very easy to use, captures everything above, below, and all around, and gives you decent quality. Others in this price range generally are not giving you full 360 side to side and top to bottom.

I love buying gadgets and some are more missed than hits, but after using this for a couple of months, even my wife is excited about it!

Anki Overdrive Starter Kit
Anki Overdrive Starter Kit
Offered by TECHarvard
Price: $143.70
32 used & new from $118.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun for kids of all ages!, January 19, 2016
This review is from: Anki Overdrive Starter Kit (Toy)
Anki is not just an improvement on the slot racers we all had as kids, it takes it to a whole new level! Think of it more like a video came come to life. I have two boys, ages 8 and 6 and they both do a great job with the game. The cars really manage the track by themselves, but you have options like power boosts, tractor beams, and lasers to shoot at the other cars to help give you an advantage.

The track is very easy to manage and keep clean and the cars perform well. While you do have to take breaks to recharge, it is not too much of an issue. Often time the breaks are good to reconfigure your cars or the tracks, and in less than 10 minutes, you are back at it again.

I would say that the races are better with more than two cars. With only two cars, once one person disables their competitor, it can be nearly impossible to catch back up, however their are other modes that you can play. Other game modes such as King of the Hill and Battle are great alternatives when you only have two cars to play with.

Its s also nice because you can play with just one person against the computer. So if one of my boys is off playing something else, the other can still compete and use Anki.

Overall, it exceeded our expectations!

Anki OVERDRIVE Expansion Track Launch Kit
Anki OVERDRIVE Expansion Track Launch Kit
Price: $29.99
17 used & new from $29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Cars successfully jump most of the time., January 19, 2016
While I love Anki Overdrive, this accessory is not the best. For the most part, it works like you think and the cars jump fine from one level to another, the problem is that issues can come up where the cars don't make the jump. Some of these issues are things you create, such as not going fast, having a competitor hit you with a traction beam, switching lanes as you are about to jump, etc. Either way, you get off track and need to deal with putting the cars back.

Just to be clear, it works most of the time, but when I have this section in my track, it is nearly impossible to complete a race without at least one car going off the track at least once. As a father of two younger boys, this ends up causing more of a headache than it is worth and I often build without this section.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2016 5:56 PM PST

Pebble Smartwatch Black
Pebble Smartwatch Black
Offered by World Class Inc.
Price: $79.45
520 used & new from $38.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 10 Months in and still very happy, June 9, 2014
I was very hesitant spending $150 for a watch that was made by a small start up group, but I have been more than satisfied with not only the watch, but the development and effort that the Pebble team continues to put in. Sure, there are a few bumps and the one time I contacted support, it took a little while, but I expect that from a small company.

Here is what I love about my watch:
- It is programmable. I am a school teacher and I always wanted a watch that was synced to the school clocks and would count down to the end of each period. With a little effort, I was able to write a program to do that, and that is not functionality I can get anywhere else.

- I love the support for additional apps, like RunKeeper and FreeCaddie. I start RunKeeper on my iPhone and I automatically see all the pacing information right on my watch. It is like having a GPS watch built in. The same is true for FreeCaddie if you golf. I just put the phone in my bag and my watch gives me the information I need.

- Notifications from the phone. I love that I can put my phone away and still get notifications and emails. This works well when I am at the pool and I put my phone in a waterproof case in my pocket. I can't easily see my phone, but when a message comes in, I can still get the message. It is also handy on my job since I don't want my kids seeing me pull my phone out of my pocket to check messages every few minutes. While I do sometime experience issues with the messages not coming through, it is pretty rare under the new operating system for the watch.

- Battery life is great. I charge it about once a week, and I usually use a watch face that counts down seconds with vibrating patterns to signal the time remaining in class.

Here is what is cool, but I don't really find all that useful:
- Lots of different watch faces. Yes, it is nice to have a custom watch face and be able to change it when ever you want, but if that is the only thing you are looking for, this is a little expensive for that. Switching watch faces got old pretty quick.

- Many of the apps that it has are cool, but again not as functional as other things. For example, there are many step counter apps, but they are nowhere near as accurate as things like FitBit. Other apps like GPS, pictures, etc. are all neat looking, but not really effective and beyond what the watch is really focused on doing.

- Weather, stock, news apps and things like that. Most of that information is not updated all that regularly, so I find it easier to just check that stuff on my phone.

There is not much to complain about, but the few things that I would say are that the connectivity between the phone can sometimes be sporadic and you may miss notifications on your watch because of it. It is not often that messages stop (maybe once a month), but it happens and I think this will happen with a software that is constantly being updated and improved.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, but not for everyone, July 31, 2013
I love my Pebble watch and it works well for me, but it is probably not for everyone. If you have the need to get messages without looking at your phone, this is a great option. If you are looking for something out of the ordinary, this is a great option. If you just want a gadget and are always looking for the latest and greatest, you might be a little disappointed.

As an iPhone user and a teacher, I love two features about this watch. First, it gives me the chance to check messages, phone calls, email etc. without pulling the phone out of my pocket. I need to keep in touch in case of a family emergency, but I don't want to have my phone out during lecture. Second, I was able to write a quick watch face that shows me the current time and also counts down to the end of class, providing vibrating alarms along the way. This is perfect as I can always know how much time is remaining with a quick glance at my watch.

I say it is not for everyone in part because the software is a little buggy still. For example, on the iPhone, email notifications have to be set up every time the phone is connected to the watch. SMS and phone notifications work fine, but not the others. They are working on fixing this, but for now it is an issue.

If you are holding out for an iWatch, don't. This works pretty well and is available now. iWatches are reported to be at 18 months away and this works pretty well.

Other pros:
- Battery life is good (I get about 5 days)
- Runkeeper integration (you can see your time, distance, and pace on your watch)
- Availability of watch faces and apps
- Open source coding with great tutorials and instructions

Other cons:
- Screen is a finger print magnet
- Screen can scratch easily (but screen protectors are available)
- Customer service takes a very long time to get back to you

Seagate GoFlex Satellite Mobile Wireless Storage 500 GB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive STBF500101 Black
16 used & new from $55.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition for your iPad, June 22, 2013
While this product is not perfect, it is a great product for the price! Our family has two young boys who love to watch different movies on our iPads. We have lots of movies, but with only 16 GB iPads, we always have to guess as to what they would want to watch on road trips. WIth this, it allows us to load all the movies and have them relatively easily accessible for each of them.

If you are considering this, you do need to ignore some of the reviews that say they have connectivity issues. SOme of these reviews are old and the issues have been resolved. I had practically no problem connecting this to my Mac and loading content to it. By practically no problem, there was a little learning curve, but it was pretty simple. You do need to first download the NTFS Driver for Mac OS before you can connect to anything. The instructions them tell you to download the Media Sync, but I found that to be to black box. Instead, I just opened up iTunes and dragged the movie and music to the drive.

You can connect either through the app or through the browser. Both work equally as well, but you should know that you ultimately play movies through your browser. You can expand the window so you are not seeing the title bar, etc.

I have had no connectivity issues and tested 3 HD movies on three iPads without any problems.

The only complaint I have is that you are relatively limited in how it organizes your content. You can set up folders anyway you want, but if you click on the Movies tab, you get all the movies bunched together, even if you create two partitions. Same is true for the pictures. It would not be an issue for an adult or older kids, but for my young boys, it is hard for them to click through a couple of menu options to get to their movies. It would be nice if I could create folder just for kids movies (and I can) and have a short cut that takes them straight to that folder (which I can't). To get around this, I pretty much had to limit what I put on the drive so that my kids could navigate it easily from the back seat of the car.

Overall though, it is still a great product and a must buy if you have lots of movies, but only have a 16 GB iPad.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2013 9:45 AM PDT

iPad Mini Case, i-Blason ArmorBox Kido Series for Apple iPad Mini 3, iPad Mini, iPad Mini with Retina Display Light Weight Super Protection Convertible Stand Cover Case for Kids Friendly (Green)
Offered by i-BLASON
Price: $21.99
4 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great protector for kids, but has a couple of draw backs, January 15, 2013
I gave this 5 stars because I think it is perfect for kids, but it does have a few drawbacks that I also wanted to comment on.

First, the positives. The case fits snug, so the iPad is not going anywhere. It wraps around the top of the iPad, so if you have a screen protector, it will overlap the edges of the protector and keep the corners from lifting up. The case also provides complete protection around all of the outlets and buttons.

I love the foam like case, as it is soft to absorb a fall, and does not slide. the handle is perfect. My son loves carrying the iPad by the handle and often uses it to sit it up (the short way). He will watch videos when putting it up the long way as well (like it is shown in the pictures).

The two drawbacks I see are mainly for parents. First, the case does a good job protecting the buttons, but it is to the point where they are hard to get at, particularly with big fingers. Hitting the on/off button can be difficult, but fortunately it is often not needed on the iPad. Opening up the flap for the power charger is also a little challenging.

The other draw back is that it sits very vertical when you prop it up on the handle. This is probably by design as many kids are lower to a table and want to see the screen tipped further forward, but it does make it a little harder to watch if you are at a normal viewing angle.

--Edit --

After about 8 months, the case is still doing well. My son has dropped his iPad several times from maybe 2 feet and the case did a good job protecting the iPad. The case does show a little wear, but overall has held up well.

Apple iMac MD093LL/A 21.5-Inch Desktop (OLD VERSION) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
18 used & new from $824.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Stunning, December 8, 2012
This is my first iMac and it is amazing. After 20 years of using a PC, our family has converted to Apple products over the past couple of years. The integration with iPhones, iPads, and our Mac Air is great. Apple really knows how to get it right where Windows only tries.

I have used other older iMacs at work. This one functions very similar, but the improvements over the last one are critical. First, the monitor is not nearly as reflective as the pst. In addition, the image is right at the front of the screen (similar to what you find with a laptop, as opposed to sunken back a quarter inch like in the past.

Second, the system is just a little more robust than the older base models. In addition to the higher ram, you now get the USB 3 technology which helps for connecting things like external drives.

I was a little skeptical about not having an optical drive, but I can't remember the last time I actually used an optical drive. If I ever need one, they are easy to find cheap.

If you use other Apple products (such as an iPhone or iPad), I would suggest this over a Windows PC.

One For All OARK02R Kid's Universal Remote Control (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Fat Cat Deals
Price: $14.95
2 used & new from $11.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great for young kids, January 29, 2011
Santa brought this for my 3 year old this past Christmas and he was thrilled to see it. The set up was fairly simple, however it did not have a feature to scan for cable boxes (only TVs), so it took a few tries to get the cable box entered. Programming the buttons was straight forward, but I found that I was switching back and forth from the programmign mode to the kids mode to test the button since it was easy to miss-hit something.

The biggest issue with this remote is that hitting a button oes not instantly change the channel. So if you hit the Disney button, the remote sends a 2 then a 9 then a 0. While I would expect this to be the case, the whole process takes about 2 seconds and the remote has to be pointed at the TV the entire time. Often time, my son doesn't have the remote pointe the entire time, so instead of channel 290, we get 29 or 20. Even if he is lucky enough to have it work the firt time, he often has already hit the button again thinking it did not work.

So while the product works like I would expect, I would say that it is just not a great product for younger children. My son is often fustrated and just hands me the remote to put Disnay on for him.

By Reason of Insanity
By Reason of Insanity
Price: $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad, December 1, 2009
I thought the book was a good quick read, but nothing to write home about. The first third was rather predictable, then the middle got a little more gripping. At the end, it did get a little bit over the top with drama, but not too bad. Considering it was free, it was worth the time.

Page: 1 | 2