Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for AmandaGal > Reviews

Browse

AmandaGal's Profile

Customer Reviews: 245

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AmandaGal RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nickelodeon iHome Rechargeable Speaker Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Michaelangel)
Offered by Midwest Suppliers
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Radical Speaker!, January 24, 2016
Radically cute speaker. It's not the best sound quality or bluetoth enabled, but I love having Mikey on my desk!

Epson Runsense SF-810 GPS Watch, Black
Epson Runsense SF-810 GPS Watch, Black
Price: $299.99
5 used & new from $255.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, Needs Updates but Exciting Future, January 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I also have an older Garmin and a TomTom Cardio, so I have experienced quite a few running watches. This Epson is a great start for their running watch category, but their app needs some work. I really like the form factor of this watch. It's large, but very comfortable.

Setup:
The pairing of the watch and signing up with Epson is needlessly complicated. You just have to do it once, thankfully and it syncs pretty easily after that.

GPS:
Syncing with pretty much anything is where this watch fails. When you go to start your run, it takes the satellites longer to acquire than either of my other watches. It only takes a minute or two, but still. The Garmin is the fastest. There is an app that allows you to precache the GPS, but it isn't really worth the added steps.

Heart Rate:
The TomTom and the Epson were fairly consistent on reading my heart rate, so I assume they are both equally accurate. They both sometimes fail to find a pulse and need some adjustments, but it's the nature of the beast. I didn't find the Epson failed any more than the TomTom.

Running/Metrics:
My first run was a 5k and it registered 15 hours and 30 minutes (I'm not really that slow). After failing at that, I watched a few videos about using the watch. Once you watch a video or two, it is accurate and easy to use.

While running, changing the display is pretty easy, but not setting it up. You just have to tap the display button to change from your preset displays. You can setup the displays on the app, but I can't figure out how to do it on the watch. You can also set a target pace, pace range (which is pretty nice) and intervals on the app (again, I'm not really sure you can do that on the watch). The watch has a very loud beep when you fall below your pace range or when it's time for an interval. I think the pace range is pretty unique, but most of the stats are recorded with any of the more expensive GPS watches.

You can also use the watch on a treadmill with the indoor option, but I've found it's not very accurate. The TomTom has the same feature and it's not very accurate either. It uses an internal accelerometer. Even though it has that feature, it does not record daily stats.

Unlike the Garmin and TomTom, you have to manually upload your runs to your phone or dock the watch in the charging station attached to your PC. My TomTom and Garmin both use the iPhone app to sync in the background. The iPhone for this phone is really more to set the watch, and display past runs. Uploading runs takes longer than you would think.

Battery Life:
The battery life on this watch is awesome. It lasts about a week, running about four times, without needing a charge. I haven't run a marathon since I received the watch, so I'm not sure how "far" the watch will work with a GPS (I'm scheduled for one in March, I'll update or I'll update if it fails on a longer training run). It worked fine on a 4 hour training run and still had over 50% left, so I'm sure a marathon wouldn't be a problem.

The charger is huge compared to other watch brands. I bring my watches to races I travel to, and I prefer the smaller, USB cable watches. One other thing to consider is that whenever I forget my charger, I can always find another runner with a Garmin charger. I can never find one with a TomTom charger. I'm sure the same can be said for the Epson. That won't matter too much, since the battery life is so great, unless you're doing a multi-day event. It seems like I always misplace my chargers on multi-day events.

Overall:
Reading back through this review, it sounds mostly negative, but I'm just trying to point out the problems. I hovered between 3 and 4 stars, but the truth is that I actually really like this watch. It's a very capable watch, the stats are actionable and very accurate (the GPS maps are reportedly more accurate than even Garmin's maps). The battery life and form factor are great. It's pretty comfortable and I like using it a lot more than my TomTom.

But, it does have a few problems that you would think a watch in this price category wouldn't have, but they are kind of minor, nitpicky ones. At this price I think one should be able to nitpick. Taking an extra minute to acquire satellites, an extra step to upload data and an extra few minutes to upload them even with that step may seem minor, but this is a $250-300 watch. It SHOULD do those things.

The good news is that most of those problems are software related and not hardware, so it's possible and very probable that Epson will fix them with user feedback. I'm actually pretty excited at the possibilities of this watch with some updates. The GPS is spot on. The stats it gives are pretty accurate and the potential for tailoring your training are there.

This is a new product, so I think most of the problems are early adopter syndrome more than long term deficiencies. If you're willing to take a few bumps in the road, it's a fine watch (and Meb is endorsing it). However if you want an already solid watch with most the bells and whistles, the Garmin 620 would be my choice. It doesn't have an on watch heart rate monitor, and I hate the straps, but it's a very nice watch. If you're not in market for a watch right now, but just curious, you might wait for the next iteration of this product to check it out. I have faith that the product will be more refined by the next version. That's really what this needs: refinement. The problems seem like fine tuning Epson missed rather than horrible oversights.

I've attached some photos of the Runsense next to the TomTom Cardio, since I imagine the TomTom is the main competitor.

Swingline 1757399 Micro-Cut Paper Shredder, 9-Sheet, Black
Swingline 1757399 Micro-Cut Paper Shredder, 9-Sheet, Black
Price: $219.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for Papers, Fails at Credit Cards, January 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is great for paper. I've shredded whole marketing mailers and it will even shred thick envelopes into tiny pieces. Where it fails is the credit card scanner. I shredded a few of my outdated credit cards and it left them in whole pieces. I took a photo of two shredded iTunes cards (one was shredded vertically, one horizontally) to show you what I mean. That's unacceptable. My $30 shredded does a better job.

It is much more effective at shredding paper than my cheaper shredder. If you put a credit card through the paper slot, it actually mostly shreds it into little pieces (it still left some big chunks with one of my cards). It just seems deceiving that there is a useless slot for credit cards. The paper is shredded into confetti sized pieces.

At 10 minutes of shred time, it does heat up very quickly. It takes about 15 minutes to cool down, so it's probably better for daily shredding than big stacks of paper. It would be great for a personal shredder, but probably not for a business.

The shredder comes on coasters so it's easy to move around. That's a positive.

I'm not sure if this only applies to the vine product, so I didn't deduct any points, but the shredder was packed in a plain, Swingline box without any padding and came cracked. They could use some Styrofoam or something to keep it from taking impacts.

Best of Make: Volume 2: 65 Projects and Skill Builders from the Pages of Make:
Best of Make: Volume 2: 65 Projects and Skill Builders from the Pages of Make:
by The Editors of Make:
Price: $20.59
58 used & new from $15.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Make Yourself a Better Maker, January 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I think Make is one of the interesting magazines out there. The pages of it contain instructions to build everything from extensive build it yourself garages and programmable robotics to simple items like marshmallow canons and soap. There's literally something for everyone between the covers of Make. This book is a nice compilation of project for a beginning or experience Maker.

Some of the projects won't be doable for everyone. They require advanced machinery like CNC machines or 3d printers, however some of them only require hand tools (there's even a section on hand working tools). Some of the projects require a bit of programming skill, but there are basic programming projects too. It's really a nice, rounded selection, much like the magazine. If you have advanced tools, you'll find something. If you don't, you'll also find something. As someone thinking about a CNC machine, it's ice to see what I could do with one. I enjoy seeing all the project.

Make's projects are laid out simply enough that you can build new skills by following them, which is another thing I like about Make. You find a cool project, learn some new skills (and this book does give some of that skill building stuff too) and make yourself a better maker.

Devardi Glass 1 lb Sampler, Lampwork, Beadmaking COE 104 Glass Rods
Devardi Glass 1 lb Sampler, Lampwork, Beadmaking COE 104 Glass Rods
Offered by Devardi Glass
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Colors, Not the Easiest to Work With, January 9, 2016
This is the glass pack I started with and it was awful to work with. It cracked no matter how slowly I heated it, however high in the flame I had it, etc. Now that I have a bit more experience, I can use it a little, but I still prefer a nicer glass rod. I have mostly used what I have left to make stringers and frit accents instead of messing with these.

Heavy Duty Wall Organizer, 48 Inch , 9-Piece Kit
Heavy Duty Wall Organizer, 48 Inch , 9-Piece Kit
Price: $44.99
2 used & new from $31.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as Good as More Expensive Systems, January 8, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
On one wall of my garage, I have a similiar system from the Container Store. This system costs less than half the price I paid for that system and seems just as sturdy and well made. The hooks from the Container Store system don't fit this one, but I do like that it comes with a variety of hooks that you'd need. The other system you have to buy each of the hooks separately (and they cost from $5-10 each).

Go Pet Club 52-Inch Cat Tree, Brown
Go Pet Club 52-Inch Cat Tree, Brown
Price: $53.66
10 used & new from $47.55

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Cheaply Made and Probably Better for Small Cats, January 7, 2016
You do get what you paid for, so I guess I shouldn't complain, but this cat tree is pretty cheaply made. My cat is afraid of those top towers because they aren't very stable (but he's a hefty boy). I probably should have splurged for a more expensive one at the pet store. The ladder is useless, but he's a cat so he jumps to that level on his own. He does love the little house. He weighs 17 lbs and he can get in it, so a smaller cat would have a great time. He does like to play with the mice, even though those top levels intimidate him because of the wobble.
Comment Comment | Permalink

HATCHBOX 1.75mm Wood 3D Printer Filament - 1kg Spool (2.2 lbs) - Dimensional Accuracy +/- 0.05mm

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Really All Purpose, January 7, 2016
I do like this filament, but so far I haven't gotten the wood look that some others are getting. I made a bunch of stuff for people for Christmas with this thinking I could sand and stain, and make it look like wood. Nothing really worked. My guess is that your best experience is with fairly flat pieces. The stuff I printed was too brittle to sand and didn't accept the stain very well. If you're printing something with some dimension, it's probably going to look at act just like PLA. It does smell like wood, but it doesn't feel like wood. I still like it. It's a nice color and it doesn't feel as dense as PLA. Plus, it floats, at least the capybaras did. I'll probably try another wood filament next time, but this isn't a total fail.

Scotch Quick Drying Tacky Glue 2 Ounces-
Scotch Quick Drying Tacky Glue 2 Ounces-
Price: $4.04
32 used & new from $3.90

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Glue, January 7, 2016
This is my favorite glue for card making and other paper crafts.

Classic Style Custom Silicone Hard Rubber Protector Case for iPhone6 Plus 5.5" - Betty Boop

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Phone Case, January 7, 2016
As stated. This is a nice little phone case. I received it fairly quickly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20