Profile for AmandaGal > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 139

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AmandaGal RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Kyjen OH00679 Back Seat Hammock Dog Auto Travel Back Seat Pet Hammock Easy-Fit Seat Cover, Large, Black
Price: $17.94
5 used & new from $16.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe for your car and your dog, October 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love this kind of seat cover for dogs, because it protects your car and the dog. I have a greyhound and because of the way she's shaped, whenever I hit the brakes on a car trip (which she loves) she lunges forward a bit. With this seat cover, she's protected from falling in the gap between the front and back seats (and it does hold her weight for that purpose, she's about 60 lbs). In addition, this hammock is very easy to take in and out of your car, machine washable and made of a material that appears to be sturdy. It's a nylon fabric, and hair does not embed in it which makes it easy to shake out and clean.

The way the hammock installs is adjustable straps, so it should fit a wide variety of cars. I've used it in a VW Beetle and a Jeep Patriot and it fits perfectly in both. I would highly recommend this hammock.

Flourless.: Recipes for Naturally Gluten-Free Desserts
Flourless.: Recipes for Naturally Gluten-Free Desserts
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, no fake ingredients, October 2, 2014
I really love this book because it doesn't use a lot of fakey ingredients. Many "flourless" recipes use weird flours and chemical binders. Most of these recipes are heavy on eggs,but use normal, whole ingredients. I've made several cookies and one cupcake recipe and they were hits!

West Bend 41413 Hi-Rise Loaf Programmable Breadmaker, 2-Pound
West Bend 41413 Hi-Rise Loaf Programmable Breadmaker, 2-Pound
Price: $89.52
3 used & new from $69.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Bread Machine, September 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I currently use a Breadman-TR520 and made two loaves of my high protein bread to compare it to this machine. All ingredients being equal, the two machines performed about the same. My breadman is more compact, but not by much (it's a little shorter). It also makes a more compact loaf. When I compared the two, both on dark settings, the shape and height of the bread was more like traditional sandwich bread with this machine.

Bread does look and brown a little better when cooked in a traditional oven, but I like that I can throw ingredients in here, forget it and have a nice loaf of bread when I get back. Good bread with real whole grains is hard to find these days. The loaves aren't quite as pretty, but this particular bread maker does come really close.

One tip I have is to remove the bread paddle before the bake cycle. If you leave the bread paddle in, there's a huge chunk out of the bottom of your loaf (this is true of every bread maker I've seen, though I have read there's one with a collapse-able paddle). I also either process the ingredients on dough mode and bake in my oven or remove the paddle when the last rise cycle is done. The manual has the times for all the cycles. With the paddle removed, it's only really a small hole so I rarely deem it worthy of using the oven, unless the bread is for company.

The touted gluten free feature is really unnecessary. You can make gluten free bread with any bread machine. It doesn't make the product less appealing though.

Overall, this is a quality bread machine.

Running Away: A Memoir
Running Away: A Memoir
by Robert Andrew Powell
Price: $16.20
66 used & new from $3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for someone picking up running to replace a bad habit, September 27, 2014
This review is from: Running Away: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an interesting book about a journalist struggling with personal and financial demons who changes his life via running. The protagonist's father was a runner and had run the Boston marathon several times, and the protagonist is also searching a little for his father's acceptance. The novel has got some really interesting aspects. I like that the protagonist gets an inside look into elite American running in Boulder (while living in a chicken coup), and it is clear that running and goal setting (he wants to qualify for Boston) do change his life.

To a female runner, the author wasn't very relatable. I was more interested the mechanics of his racing and training than I was with his relationship with his dad and family. I found myself not caring if he ever qualified for Boston or not, though I could relate to some of his training stories. I think that is because I don't really find him at all similar to myself. I gave it four stars because I think a male runner, especially someone new to running who substituted a bad habit with a good one, would really enjoy this book. For the rest of us, there are bits and piece of enjoyable information, but I really couldn't get into the whole narrative.

I think another part of it is because he is awfully self-deprecating throughout, even though we know he's doing fairly well in the sport. He is training with an elite crowd from the start of his career. He never really brags about how great and awesome he is. Those of who run know he's doing pretty well, regardless of his self-deprecation and beginner status. I think that puts us runners on the slow side off a bit.

Belkin 6-Inch Lightning to USB ChargeSync Cable for iPhone 5/5S/5c, iPad 4th Gen and iPad mini - Retail Packaging - Blue
Price: Click here to see our price
4 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, August 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Unlike some third party chargers, this item actually does charge the iPhone/iPad and work as a transfer cable. The 6 inch cord is quite short, but that makes it perfect for packing away for travel or in your purse. I actually prefer a shorter cord for travel. Seems well made. No complaints.

*Note: I got my cord directly from Amazon and it came in the Belkin packaging. Reading other reviews, it seems like some sellers are not getting the same cord. I always buy from Amazon or a trusted seller.

OXO Good Grips Twist & Pop Strawberry Huller
OXO Good Grips Twist & Pop Strawberry Huller
Price: $7.99
8 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars but overall it's pretty nifty. It doesn't take up much space, August 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Works as it should. It's a unitasker for sure, but if you go through a lot of strawberries, it's worth it. It makes quick work of hulling them out once you figure out how to use it (which took me one mishandled strawberry).

I am not sure how long the metal pieces will hold up as they seem a bit thin, but overall it's pretty nifty. It doesn't take up much space, but I'm really not sure how useful it will be once strawberry season is over.

Epson WorkForce WF-7620 Wireless and WiFi Direct, All-in-One Wide-Format Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner, 2-Sided Auto Duplex, ADF, Fax. Prints from Tablet/Smartphone. AirPrint Compatible. (C11CC97201)
Price: $229.99
13 used & new from $229.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Multi-Purpose Printer, August 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
No problems with this printer. I own it's predecessor too and there isn't much difference in the two. I love the ability to print wide format, and the prints normally come out crisp and clear. I occasionally have to clean the print heads, but not that often. I use mine wirelessly, and it was easy to setup. It also can be use Apple's airprint without much trouble. The scanning also works well. You can scan to a card or send it to your computer. I've never had problems with the document feeder. The special paper tray is a nice added feature.

Epson DuraBrite Inks are archival quality (Wilhelm Imaging
Research says prints last up to 105 years under glass and 300 years in dark storage), but you have to use Epson archival quality papers to print on (Epson
Glossy Photo Paper, Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper, and Epson Ultra Premium Glossy Photo
Paper). This printer does not accept not Epson's highest quality ink for photos. It's clearly a multipurpose printer, but it does a great job on photographs. The DuraBrite ink is not bad at all.

This is a large piece of equipment, so be sure to view the sizing specs before you buy it.

Colgate Optic White Platinum, Whiten and Protect, 3.4 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Colgate Optic White Platinum, Whiten and Protect, 3.4 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Offered by Since 1901
Price: $29.77
10 used & new from $23.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Terribly Effective, August 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using this product as directed for 30 days and my teeth, which were not super stained already, are not even a single shade whiter. In the past I've used the whiteners with the trays, and they are much more effective. It is a nice toothpaste with an ok flavor, but does not do the job expected. It may prevent your teeth from staining further, but it does not whiten.

Just My Typo: From "Sinning with the Choir" to "the Untied States"
Just My Typo: From "Sinning with the Choir" to "the Untied States"
by D. Moir
Price: $9.39
65 used & new from $4.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for Grammar Nerds, July 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you liked "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" you'll probably like this. The book gives you exactly what you expect from the cover. Some of the typos are funny and some are just poor choices of words or bad transcriptions or translations and some are clearly intentional.

The only section I didn't like was the phone autocorrect section. I get that it's in vogue now to make fun of phone autocorrect, but I really hoped this was a typesetting book. If they were going to do the autocorrect thing, they should have at least used some more original ones, especially since some of these are made up.

My other complaint is that you would have be well read to get a few of these typos. Some of them are just misworded prose or titles. If you didn't know the actual prose, you would probably be at a loss. That being said, most people who are grammar geeks will also probably be well read.

Overall, it's a fun book. It's not quite as fun as "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" but it is good for a few laughs.

Tub O Towels TW40-SS Stainless Steel Cleaning, Polishing, and Protecting Wipes (Tub of 40 Wipes)
Price: $10.52
7 used & new from $7.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked on New Kitchen Install, May 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These have worked well on my new stainless steel appliances. I am dong a kitchen remodel, and I ordered a rangehood that came in covered with tape and it was quite dusty. I had to use a product to remove the "goo" from the adhesive and the range hood looked pretty bad afterwards (lots of water marks and dull). I used these and they shined it up like new (since it was new, I guess better than new). I used them on my new range and dishwasher as well and shined them up. I had to use quite a few wipes and it does work best (as I found with my rangehood) if you wipe with the grain of the steel.

I am not sure how they compare to other products or on older items, but they are working well for me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14