Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Learn more
Profile for L. Parker > Reviews

Browse

L. Parker's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

L. Parker "lmandep" RSS Feed

The Shock of the Fall: A Novel
The Shock of the Fall: A Novel
by Nathan Filer
Price: $12.40
68 used & new from $5.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, January 27, 2015
I read a ton, post reviews almost never.
This is one of the most brilliantly written books I have ever read. Maybe it hit home so hard because we have family members who struggle with mental illness, but there were lines I actually wrote on a piece of paper so I wouldn't forget. I thought he did a masterful job of capturing an unforgiving and heart wrenching illness in such a beautiful way.

I can't recommend highly enough. Great job, Nathan. I look forward to reading more of your stuff.

Suspect
Suspect
by Robert Crais
319 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favorites, June 17, 2013
This review is from: Suspect (Hardcover)
Full disclosure: I'm a Robert Crais fan (but his books are hit / miss for me), I'm a huge dog lover, and am from a military family. (my dad actually started his career training dogs)

With that context, this ended up being one of my all time favorite books. I loved it. I thought Mr. Crais did a fantastic job with it, and I appreciate him so much for writing it.

If you don't love dogs, you may not "get it" but if you do, reading scenes from the dog's POV is so moving. Highly recommend this book to dog lovers who enjoy this genre. Great storytelling.

Explosive Eighteen (Stephanie Plum)
Explosive Eighteen (Stephanie Plum)
by Janet Evanovich
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $8.99
302 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the first 13, July 7, 2012
After reading the customer reviews, I was skeptical about reading Explosive Eighteen (particularly after I found them so painfully right about sixteen....)

I think the reviewers might be a little harsh on this one - maybe they are tired of the characters or still annoyed by how off track the books got in the 14-16 installments. I thought this book was pretty true to Plum form. If you liked the 1-13 books, this follows the same formula and I thought was a good, mindless, entertaining, easy read. (which is why I love the Plum books - it's like watching Seinfeld to me - easy entertainment without making you think too hard)

Check your expectations on who she should be with - Ranger or Morelli - at the door and enjoy the read. Skip 16 tho - it almost ruined the series for me. Personal opinion is Janet didn't write that one - the characters are way too off base. Eighteen is pretty on target for what you'd expect from these books.

Sizzling Sixteen (Stephanie Plum Novels)
Sizzling Sixteen (Stephanie Plum Novels)
by Janet Evanovich
Price: $11.20
382 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars LOVE the Plum Series, BUT..., June 27, 2012
I read most of the Plum series many years ago. This summer I started through them again and have not been able to put them down! Pure mindless perfect summer entertainment.

I thought the reviews on this book were really harsh - until I read it. I must say I don't think Janet wrote this one - the characters are just so out of character and Stephanie is the smartest one of the bunch in this book. Really - unless you are on a mission to get through them all, skip this one.

I love them though - it's like watching Seinfeld - the story lines are definitely a formula, and it does get a little predictable, but they are fun all the same. Definitely recommend the series. Just skip this book. And maybe 14. :-)

The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook
The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook
by Elana Amsterdam
Price: $11.32
108 used & new from $5.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning! 2X the calories and fat, August 3, 2011
Great marketing behind this book! Elana's team does a great job of convincing you that almond flour is the holy grail to gluten free nutrition.

BUT BE WARNED - the two areas she intentionally leaves out is CALORIES and FAT. Almond flour is 50% denser and more caloric than other types of flours, so to accurately compare the nutritional aspects apples to apples, you'd need to look at it on a calories to calories basis (e.g. every 100 calories of X flour vs almond flour) vs volume weight. So while you are getting more protein and carbohydrates, you are also getting 2X the calories and fat. You'll never see that in the book though, just all the comparisons that are marketing to you that you've stumbled on the superfood of them all.

As any diet expert will tell you, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Weight management is a numbers game. Almond flour is a good thing for my celiac son as he is always fighting being "underweight" - not a good thing for his momma (I'm 5'5", 117 lbs) who figured out the calorie scam on this book after the scale started creeping up. I totally fell for it hook line and sinker. The recipes are pretty good for gluten free - just be aware that 1/2 an almond flour muffin = a regular size muffin made with another flour from a caloric perspective.

My recommendation would be to save your money and pull the recipes from her website. Her formula is pretty simple - throw in some flour plus equal parts salt and baking soda (usually 1/2 teaspoon) plus equal parts agave nectar and grapeseed oil (usually 1/3 - 1/2 cup). Don't fall for the shameless marketing either - you can use brands that she's not receiving an endorsement kickback from, even though her smart business sense leads you to believe that the recipe will fail unless you buy her preferred brand.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2011 7:44 PM PDT

Changes That Heal
Changes That Heal
by Lisa Guest
Price: $10.52
185 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, July 28, 2011
This review is from: Changes That Heal (Paperback)
I typically don't write reviews (but rely heavily on them!) - but I just had to review this book.
It can take some time to get through - you really need to digest the material -but it is heart changing. I told my husband it did more for me than $10,000 of counseling would have. I read through it twice with a highlighter second time through. Very biblically based but put into practical, real life terms. Life and heart changing. Highly recommend.

The Feminine Mistake: Are We Giving Up Too Much?
The Feminine Mistake: Are We Giving Up Too Much?
by Leslie Bennetts
Price: $17.80
78 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Answer lies in your priorites, January 10, 2011
I quit my job 4 months ago after 9+ years of life as a working mom - driven by all of the pieces of rationale that Mrs. Bennetts describes in her book. Intellectually, you are giving up A LOT to stay at home financially - there's no question about it.

My heart isn't fueled by financial gain. It's fueled by the laughter of my children and finally leading a life that works.

Analysis of all or nothing leads you to only one conclusion - you should work. But if you are looking beyond financial gain, you have a solid marriage and partner, you live below your means, and you only plan to spend a few years out of the workplace muddies the picture a bit.

The success and happiness of your children will be the source of 95% of my happiness when I retire. Adding another $1M to our bank account to leave them one day won't.

Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back...And How You Can Too
Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back...And How You Can Too
by Shauna James Ahern
Price: $11.23
107 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and condescending, December 20, 2010
I received this book as a gift - such a thoughtful gift from an acquaintance - and I was looking forward to reading it.

Sadly, I was so surprised to read the condescension dripping from the pages across the topics as the book, and shocked at harshly she judged her parents and the cheap, processed diet they fed her. I'm sure - certain - that had they known they would have done the best they could. Different time, different availability of information. I thought she was so hateful - my jaw was on the floor.

I wish I could have back every second I spent reading this book. There are so many better blogs out there, and I may have actually liked Shauna's if I didn't read this book and get a glimpse into her self absorbed pretentious heart. There was no new information for anyone who has been gluten free for more than 5 minutes. (OK, 3 months.... 5 minutes may be harsh....)

I also have to agree with the recipes comments - many celiacs have multiple allergies to deal with. We have both dairy and gluten in the house so 80% of the recipes are irrelevant. Add enough cheese or butter and you can make nearly any dish edible. The trick comes in when you don't have all of those other common flavorings available to you. If you can do dairy, go buy Rachel Ray's cookbooks instead and replace the pasta with gluten free pasta and you will have a wealth of delicious and healthy options at your fingertips.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2014 6:40 AM PST

Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix, 15-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix, 15-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Price: $25.98
6 used & new from $25.98

5.0 out of 5 stars No Joke - Ingredient People, Take a Little Initiative, July 2, 2009
Seriously - I get the importance of seeing the ingredients - go check the website instead of giving it a one star review. Or send an email to the folks at Amazon. If you are a celiac, then you know the importance of finding good gluten free food, and I lean heavily on reviews and ratings to determine if a product is worth the effort. Your one star ratings unfairly dings a product YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED!

Objection noted- I never buy anything without the ingredient list - but to go through and give one stars just to get your point across is ridiculous. It's also lazy.

[...]