Profile for S. Johnson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Johnson RSS Feed (Cleveland, Ohio United States)

Woman, Thou Art Loosed! the Novel
Woman, Thou Art Loosed! the Novel
by T. D. Jakes
Price: $12.95
185 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is Just a Story, January 4, 2005
I know this is just a book, but somewhere there is a real-life Cassey, Reggie, and a Michelle. This book was very emotional to me because there is some truth behind this. Cassey needed her a$$ kicked. Reggie needed to be shot down. Michelle needed a mother to tell her that she is somebody and she is worth something. I have never been molested by my mother's boyfriend(s) because she never had one to bring around. Her life was all about me, and she didn't want to bring me around different men. Being a mother myself of a boy and a girl, and another on the way, I couldn't understand why Cassey could just brush this under the rug like that. I know from being around other females and talking to them and knowing other social workers who work with families like that, these things are common -- the molesting and the mothers taking the boyfriend side because they don't want to face it and/or the child is scared to tell anything. Statistics state that 1 in 3 females are or have been molested in some time in there lives. It amounts to 33% according to my calculations, but it's way too many and I think it goes higher than that. Child molestation is too taboo, and this goes across races, socioeconomic statuses, religions, etc. We need to talk more to our children, and listen to what they are saying no matter how bizzar it is because it may some hidden truth behind it. As a mother, a single one at that, rather be lonely and have my children love me and feel protected rather than having some sicko as a man molesting my babies. I will date, but if my kids don't like him -- HE'S GONE! In the book, Cassey was just as responsible as Reggie was in the lost innocence of Michelle. If I ever knew a real-life Cassey, a mother like the one in the book, there would be no hestitation in me kicking her behind! In the book, Cassey's bestfriend Twana, was gooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

T. D. Jakes sent little hidden messeges in the book. Well, they weren't hidden inconspicuously, but they were there. For example, when he is in the cell with Michelle when she killed Reggie and when Michelle was recalling scenes from the revivals, his words hit home, which was another reason why I got so emotional with this book. When he stated something like, "where you have been doesn't define where you are going," he hit it right on the nail. I said, "amen" to that. I am not a "Holier-than-thou" person, but I do believe that everyone you meet and everything you have went through serves a purpose and it makes you who you are today. I refuse to let everything I have ever went through go in vain. You are not promised anything and you may not have a choice in certain matters, but I do know this; you do have two choices in life. Whatever you are going through, you can either just sit there and do nothing or die trying to change it. At least you would be doing something.

This was a well-written book for everyone to read, and the messeges that J. D. Jakes send can be understood by anyone. I would recommend this book to anyone -- whether or not you are Christian and you really don't have to be. However, his words will make you think, and it may bring up some painful memories. Or, you may be able to confirm what he has said. EXCELLENT WORK!

Code of the Street: Decency, Violence, and the Moral Life of the Inner City
Code of the Street: Decency, Violence, and the Moral Life of the Inner City
by Elijah Anderson
Price: $15.23
211 used & new from $4.11

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth, and Nothing But the Truth!, September 13, 2003
Code of the Street, by Elijah Anderson, was an extremely well-written book and very detailed. I often found myself saying, "yup, that's right!" I have lived and went to school in the suburbs, and now I live in the innercity. My experiences between the suburbs and in the innercity are TOTALLY different. Anderson just simply summarized everything about my innercity, even though it was focused just on Germantown. He even explained the types of people I know (even though they are found in all social and economic classes). The type that are "street" people. The "decent" people. Then there are those who are inbetween, like me, the type the "code switch," that can be either "decent" or "street" depending on the situation. He greatly explained the situations and concerns of the innercity people.
I had the pleasure meeting Elijah Anderson, and he is a completely a very nice person and keeps things "real." He is not some type of "wanna be" researcher who is trying to write a book about the innercity people, and don't have a clue about how people in the innercity lives. He has experience of living in the innercity, and he wrote this book (along with others) to help explain to others how the situation is in the innercity. I totally support his work.

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
by Barbara Ehrenreich
1640 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Just the Basics, September 9, 2003
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America, written by Barbara Ehrenreich, is a well-written book. However, this book should only be used just for the basics to learn about those who work at low-paying jobs. This book does not cover the major and fastest growing of poor people, which is working single mothers who work at the low-paying jobs. Since the welfare reform of 1996 a lot of mothers are working at some of these low-paying jobs that Barbara Ehrenreich has based her research on. I wonder how those mothers get by. If Ehrenreich have done a section on that, then the readers who have gotten a more of a perspective on what is really going on. She could have based her research on interviews of single working mothers who have kids to support.