Profile for Samuel J. Adams > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Samuel J. Adams RSS Feed

Spore - PC/Mac
Spore - PC/Mac
Offered by Hitgaming Video Games
Price: $15.05
50 used & new from $8.56

1.0 out of 5 stars Neat concept, but...., September 8, 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spore - PC/Mac (DVD-ROM)
To keep this short and sweet:

Spore boils down to a cool idea that was poorly executed. The creature creator is pretty fun, and one can spend a fair amount of time on it. However, the overall gameplay feels shallow and repetitive -- the space exploration part of the game feels particularly lacking in this regard.

Also, I absolutely despise SecuROM and all other invasive/draconian copy protection schemes. I was *not* happy to realize it had been installed on my computer (didn't find out about that until after the fact). If I'd known the game included SecuROM, I never would've purchased it in the first place.

The game experience itself is marginally okay, but the SecuROM issue really drags it down for me. Spore isn't terrible, but it's definitely not all it could've been. Yet another tragic case of where the game developer's reach exceeded their grasp.

Death in Winter (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
Death in Winter (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
by Michael Jan Friedman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
98 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A major disappointment, March 3, 2008
It's hard to believe this book was written by Friedman, as I normally really enjoy his Star Trek novels. Not this time, however; I was totally let down.

The plot is disjointed, and the overall writing & dialogue is simply....bad. It's as if the book never quite decides in what direction it wants to go, or what the focus of the story should be. Ostensibly, the main plotline is focused on Crusher & Picard, but even that part of the story meanders back and forth with no clear sense of what the author wanted to do with it.

This is one of the *very* few Star Trek novels I've regretted purchasing. I wish I'd had the patience for it to show up in the local library instead. Friedman is a good author by and large, but this is easily the worst effort of his I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

Galactic Civilizations II Gold - PC
Galactic Civilizations II Gold - PC
Offered by lakeplacegames
Price: $89.99
15 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Space strategy gaming at it's finest!, February 9, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is probably the most fun strategy game I've played in years. The atmosphere is great, the AI opponents are actually challenging (and that's without cheating, no less!), and tons -- and I mean TONS -- of customization options make for endless replayability. With adding onto that the constant updates and excellent support from Stardock, this might very well be the best PC gaming experience I've ever had!