Profile for Donna McBroom-Theriot > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 295

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Donna McBroom-Theriot "My Life. One Story at a Time." RSS Feed (South Louisiana)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Going to the Chapel: A Novella
Going to the Chapel: A Novella
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, lovable, funny, November 28, 2014
When I was asked to review this book, it was described as "absolutely hilarious and yet heartfelt" and that description is right on target. It is a sweet and charming and absolutely funny book that all begins with a beautiful cover.

The story is set in a beautiful little mountain town that needs a new beginning and the three Sassafras sisters, at least Izzy, is determine to make her aunt proud by opening up an all-inclusive bridal store. Who knew their first client was an undercover detective threatening to destroy their attempt at a new start?

Going to the Chapel will leave you laughing and full of love in your heart. Definitely a great pick for the holiday season. This book deserves all of five stars.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2014 3:11 PM PST

The Resting Place: A Graveside Diary
The Resting Place: A Graveside Diary
by Pamela Little
Price: $13.29
14 used & new from $9.30

4.0 out of 5 stars The Resting Place, November 20, 2014
If you asked me my first thoughts on the book, I would say it is a strange book. It's different from anything I've read so far, and I've read a lot of books. It is not a book that can be rushed through - I am a fast reader and I stress - this book cannot be read fast. Not that you can't speed read it, I guess you could. It's a little hard to explain other than saying it is a slow read. The words will not allow you to read it quickly.

Pamela Little has experienced a lot in her life and with The Resting Place, takes the reader on her journey to find her resting place while still alive. She buys a cemetery plot and goes to her final resting place each day to write and meditate on her life.

Pamela Little felt that in order to tackle her "living" life, she needed to begin to assess her life from death moving backward. We all have darkness in our lives, some more than others because of different struggles. Pamela Little suffers with some pretty powerful life-altering darknesses which include "alcoholism, food addiction, bipolar disorder, and her self-diagnosed “post-divorce destruction disorder." Just one of these would topple most people.

In the book, she takes us through her struggles and how she finally finds her resting place within herself. I identified with her "post-divorce destruction disorder" having been through a traumatic divorce and alienation of children. I understand her search to find that resting place. It is a long journey that ends back where you start - within yourself.

Pamela Little is blunt, honest, and sometimes a little crazy in her memoir. She decides to view life from death's view in an effort to live life to its fullest. It is a spiritual journey. After reading this book, I think I understand the journey bi-polar sufferers go through and how it affects their outlook on life. While I would describe the book as a little strange, it is a good book. I'm giving The Resting Place four stars.

"I cry now because I care so deeply about myself, maybe as equally as I care for them (daughters) now. I am so worth living for! I have missed myself while I was dead. I can breathe now. Easily. Finally, I can rest in peace (while alive.)"

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

If You Follow Me (The Dunbridge Chronicles)
If You Follow Me (The Dunbridge Chronicles)
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, November 14, 2014
To be honest, when I opened the book and saw that the author had listed the numerous characters with descriptions, I looked at my husband and said, "This isn't good." Then, I found the book a little difficult to get into, but once I got started, I slowly became immersed in the story and enjoyed it. The long list of characters no longer mattered as I got to know each one.

The book reminded me a little of the Mitford Series by Jan Karon. As with the Mitford Series, I think beginning with Book 1 would be advantageous, although not necessary.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. The writing was good and I enjoyed the little bits of deviousness and conflict sprinkled throughout an otherwise sedate story. I am giving the book 4 stars.

I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

A Holiday Miracle in Apple Blossom
A Holiday Miracle in Apple Blossom
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect holiday read, November 11, 2014
I always like commenting on the cover of a book because I like for the cover to introduce the book so to speak. It should set up the story. The cover of A Holiday Miracle does just that. It leads the way to a season of miracles.

The story is a sweet love story, but it encompasses more than that; it's a town full of generous and kind-hearted people that makes it a perfect book for the upcoming holiday season.

There were times when I thought the writing was a little too perfect and there were places where the author added words where none were needed. An example would be describing the restaurant where the characters were eating. The description was ample at the beginning of the date and I felt saying, "...they left the fine restaurant..." a little odd. I am stating my thoughts and preferences on the writing. The author tended to use "bigger" words than you might ordinarily find in a book. I enjoyed those moments as I am a "big" word person. I love words and I found it interesting that an author would choose to write this way. The norm is to write on a lessor intelligent level so you fly through the book. This was enjoyable in that aspect.

I did find the story a little sugary and it had no conflict. It was almost too perfect and didn't imitate life.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and can recommend it for those of you looking for an uplifting holiday book to read.

Always with You
Always with You
by Andrea Hurst
Price: $13.21
17 used & new from $11.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Spend an afternoon in Nappa Valley, November 10, 2014
This review is from: Always with You (Paperback)
I enjoyed Always With You. Plain and simple, it was a good book. The cover was beautiful and that alone will draw you to the book.

I have been reading quite a few romance books lately and this book had a different spin on it. The story was a little long, but I'm sure how the author would have shortened it without cutting out some of the "meat" of the story.

The writing was good. I enjoyed the characters. The book had characters you fell in love with and on the flip side, one or two that you wanted to slap silly. The story is set in the Nappa Valley and it was nice to spend time there, albeit through a book. I was drawn into the scenery and wanted to stay there. I went along on scenic drives and canoe rides down a river and then sat on the shoreline basking in the sun. I enjoyed cooking along-side the characters.

Summarizing, Always With You by Andrea Hurst is a good book. It had a different storyline and the characters were very likable. I found no errors worth mentioning and the surprise ending was the best part of the book. I'm giving Always With You five stars. It's a light-hearted read and a great one for the cold, wintry nights coming up.

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The No-Stress Holiday Organizer: An All-in-One Guide to Planning and Recording Your Holidays
by Cedar Fort staff
Price: $12.40
31 used & new from $8.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Great organizing book, November 5, 2014
I am already an organized person, but I’m always out to learn a few more tricks. With Halloween gone and the three next big holidays of the year looming in the foreground, everyone is wondering how to get it all done and get it done efficiently. The No-Stress Holiday Organizer book will certainly help to keep even the most disorganized person on track.

Featuring a three-month at a glance planning calendar is an excellent idea. It is quite easy to overbook activities or to lose track of how many days remaining before the big event. This will help to ensure that the holidays flow without too much anxiety. Like checklist? This book will definitely have you doing the happy dance.

Broken down into holidays, it offers you a no-stress plan to keep you on track with shopping and planning and execution. As great as cell phones are these days, not everyone is using one to chart their grocery list. The No-Stress Holiday Organizer offers those individuals a list to record their items that follows the layouts of most grocery stores. This will eliminate traipsing across the store and even forgetting items.

The book also offers help with budgeting and with the holidays, who can’t use a little extra help in that department? Do you think of doing an inventory of the items that you only use at holiday time? Do you remember what was broken or needed to be replaced?

Along with a Christmas To Do list, the book offers a list of those forgotten people – the postman, etc. and offers an example of how much is appropriate to spend.

It is a great book even for the ultra-organized person like me. I have to admit I took the book on as a challenge and was pleasantly surprised to pick up a few tips along the way.

Is there someone in your life who’s a little bit on the unorganized side? Look no further for the perfect holiday gift!

I was given a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Finding Daddy Warbucks
Finding Daddy Warbucks
by David Hwa
Price: $14.49
28 used & new from $7.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story., October 24, 2014
This review is from: Finding Daddy Warbucks (Paperback)
Finding Daddy Warbucks was such a cute story. I know that sounds like a strange way to describe an adult book, but that is what it was. It was comic relief and had me chuckling throughout the book.

The story isn't a deep story and that is one of the things I enjoyed most about it. It came around at a good time for me as I had just completed reading a very serious nonfiction book and need a little pick me up.

I don't think it would be considered a spoiler if I say that the story is about a young widow with three children and upon hearing the mother tell her sister they could no longer afford to remain in Washington D.C., the children go into action. They begin a mission to find a father, "Daddy Warbucks".

The writing was good and the characters were from everyday life. I think anyone will enjoy this book. It is light-hearted and definitely worth the time to read.

I am giving Finding Daddy Warbucks by David Hwa five stars.

During the Fall
During the Fall
by Cheryl Murnane
Price: $8.63
23 used & new from $4.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, October 13, 2014
This review is from: During the Fall (Paperback)
During the Fall is an inspirational book and a nice read. At the core of the book was the simple, yet profound message that we are not in charge; God is. It is a heart-warming story of a young Christian family that must go through a tragedy to find their faith.

While I found there were parts of the book that could have been edited down to make the story more concise, it was a great book. The story showed a deep and profound love between the characters and their families. In today's fast-paced world, we tend to get bogged down in the day-to-day mundane happenings and we forget to look at those we love as people. We tend to forget to open the door, pull out a chair, or even give our spouse a kiss hello. These are the important things in life and that is what the book was about. It gives the reader pause to check their own actions and to contemplate the important things in life.

I also loved the cover of the book. In addition to being a beautiful cover, it was a great cover for the story.

"Even though I lost your Aunt Sally too soon, we knew we loved each other. I don't think differently about it. She left this world with as much love as she could take with her.

I smiled, 'You're right Mom. I guess I need to make sure I give Alex as much love and attention as I can and appreciate the time we have together, because in the end, love is all there really is.' I smiled, realizing those were the words my mother had said to me my whole life.

...I took a personal oath during my drive home on that sunny spring day to spread joy in my husband's life, hoping it would fill both of us with an endless amount of love, so that in the end neither of us would ever forget the depth of our love for each other."

I am giving During the Fall four stars.

Persuaded
Persuaded
by Misty Dawn Pulsipher
Price: $12.01
17 used & new from $12.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, October 10, 2014
This review is from: Persuaded (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book. Once you read the book, you realize just how much the cover depicts the story. I sometimes miss this by reading on a Kindle. When I read an actual physical book, I look at the cover every time I pick up the book and I do miss that sometimes.

The story was sweet with a few surprises thrown in and although you think you know the ending, there are a few places in the book that will make you doubt yourself.

Spoiler alert here (which I do not normally do) but I have to say it. What about the ring? That was truly the only disappointing thing in the entire book for me; to close the book and then remember that there was nothing about the ring. I will not explain it any further.

I read other reviews that indicated this story followed along with Jane Austin's Persuasion, which I have not read so I can't compare. I did enjoy this sweet love story. It was a chance to see how two young people who didn't work out in the beginning, get a second chance, and what they do with that second chance.

The writing was great and the errors were nominal in the book which made it an enjoyable read. The characters were well developed and I enjoyed all of them, not just Hannah and Derrick.

I'm giving Persuaded by Misty Dawn Pulsipher five stars and recommending it.

Montreal
Montreal
by Debra Schoenberger

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, October 6, 2014
This review is from: Montreal (Hardcover)
Reviewing a photography book is new to me. I looked upon it as a memoir in picture form and I was excited to be a part of this tour.

I've never been to Montreal and I found the author's photos intriguing. I have always been a fan of black and white photos and the mystery that seems to envelope them. I was not disappointed in the photographer's work. There were also beautiful color photos in the book that lent themselves to a different part of Montreal.

I also liked that the author didn't do a touristy book. She did a story in pictures of Montreal as it lives and breathes and that was refreshing.

"Street photography is my true passion. Having a slightly off-kilter sense of humour helps keep me looking for the unusual."

I enjoyed this beautiful book and I think any lover of picture books would love to have this sitting on their coffee table to pick up and browse through. I am giving Montreal: Street Photography by Debra Schoenberger five stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20