Profile for Andy Radke > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Andy Radke RSS Feed (Guelph, Ontario CANADA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Sesame Street: Follow that Bird 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
Sesame Street: Follow that Bird 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
DVD ~ Sandra Bernhard
Price: $5.00
57 used & new from $0.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Fond Childhood Memory, April 24, 2013
I'm not ashamed to admit that I am almost 36, and just ordered this movie.......for myself! I distinctly remember my parents taking my sister and I to see this at the theater in the Summer of 1985! I enjoyed it then as a child of 8.....and I enjoy it now. Not only for its nostalgia value, but the clever puns sprinkled throughout the film. I love the cameos, especially Chevy Chase reprising his 'Saturday Night Live' news anchor shtick.

It's great to see the original Sesame Street cast in this, as this was the cast of characters I grew up watching as a child.....Gordon, Susan, Linda, Maria, Luis, Olivia....they're all here. The songs featured in the film were very well written and executed as well. My favorite being "One Little Star" which tugs on the heartstrings just a little bit! :)

I love that this film was remastered and presented in widescreen for the first time. To be able to see it the way it was originally presented in the theater is something I'm very happy about.

My only gripe.....albeit a very small one, is the fact that for some reason Warner Bros. decided to include Elmo on the cover. Extremely misleading as you only see the puppet for a grand total of maybe 3 or 4 seconds, and he doesn't utter a word. In fact, this was around the time Elmo was first introduced to the world, and was controlled and voiced by a different puppeteer before Kevin Clash eventually took over and made Elmo what he is today. Kids will look at this cover thinking Elmo plays some sort of substantial part in the film. Again, a small gripe.

I consider this film to be timeless. Although kids who watch Sesame Street today may wonder where their favorite characters are, there is no arguing that the storyline will resonate with them, now and for years to come. Highly recommended family entertainment not only for the nostalgic, but for the young.......and the young at heart!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2013 4:41 AM PDT

Jeff Dunham: Minding the Monsters
Jeff Dunham: Minding the Monsters
DVD ~ Jeff Dunham
Price: $11.41
12 used & new from $7.41

2.0 out of 5 stars Weakest Effort To Date, October 15, 2012
I watched this DVD yesterday with high expectations. I love his previous DVD's and have watched them countless times. I even saw Jeff perform at Air Canada Centre in Toronto this past January. So when I'd heard he was releasing yet another stand-up DVD, I was ecstatic.

As I watched, excitement quickly turned to disappointment. I found most of the show to be painfully unfunny. More beer puns from Bubba J, more racial slurs from Peanut, and some extremely lame jokes from Achmed. The show's only saving grace in my opinion was Walter's segment. I found myself laughing through most of THAT material.

I realize comedy is extremely subjective, and that what I may not find funny....others may find hilarious. That being said, I thought this was undoubtedly his weakest effort yet. More a case of "style over substance" if you will. Each character had their own flashy intros. The stage itself included props such as an electric chair as well as a remote controlled Batmobile. If only the writing was as high quality as everything else about the show.

As a longtime Jeff Dunham fan, I really was disappointed by this.

No Holds Barred
No Holds Barred
DVD ~ Hulk Hogan
32 used & new from $1.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Thought I'd See The Day....., May 14, 2012
This review is from: No Holds Barred (DVD)
With the DVD format being around for over 16 years, I eventually gave up hope that "no Holds Barred" would EVER become available on the format. So, imagine my surprise when I get a 5am phone call from my best friend telling me that it was finally going to be released! I was 12 years old when this film was released in theaters, and a huge fan of wrestling at that.... So seeing the immortal Hulk Hogan on the big screen was indeed a pipe dream for me, and "No Holds Barred" fast became one of my all-time childhood favorites. After seeing the film again recently through adult eyes, I can say with confidence that it is undoubtedly cheesy....but in a good way. Pretty much what you'd expect from an 80's action/comedy. I've been a DVD collector for the past decade with over 1,100 titles in my collection. "No Holds Barred" has remained at the top of my 'most wanted' list for YEARS.

My only hope is that the film will be presented in its original widescreen format. I can't possibly imagine why it wouldn't be.....but stranger things have happened. I'd also like to see the steel cage match which accompanied the film on Pay-Per-View which was coined as "No Holds Barred: The Movie / The Match". In fact, any WWE cross-promotion material would be certainly welcome.

That being said, I won't complain if this is a bare-bones release. The opportunity to have this film as a part of my collection is more than I could've ever expected, especially after waiting so long. July 3rd can't come soon enough!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2012 2:48 PM PDT

Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men (Full-Screen Edition)
Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men (Full-Screen Edition)
DVD ~ Various
Offered by collectiblejames
Price: $7.25
67 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars 3rd DVD Release.............and STILL?????, July 20, 2009
Ok, now I'm officially disgruntled. This is the THIRD time these movies have been released on DVD. This is also the THIRD time Warner couldn't see fit to release these in their original aspect ratio (a.k.a. WIDESCREEN). This really is unbelievable. My eyes lit up when I saw the listing with the new cover art and the words "pre-order". So here I am thinking that maybe.....just maybe they finally got it right. Third time's a charm, right? WRONG! You know with the first film, Warner saw fit to release the widescreen edition on Blu-Ray, and yet the DVD format gets three releases, and all of them "modified to fit your TV". Shame on Warner for doing this to fans of the films. It really is a huge disappointment. As much as I LOVE these movies, and as much as I'd love to have them sit atop my DVD shelf, I refuse to purchase them in this manner. To drop the ball 3 consecutive times on the same 2 movies is just uncalled for.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2012 5:18 AM PDT

George Foreman GR59A Baby George Rotisserie
George Foreman GR59A Baby George Rotisserie
7 used & new from $65.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing rotiserrie!!, May 24, 2009
This was given to me as a birthday gift from my mom last week and I honestly don't know how I ever lived without one of these! The day I got it, I cooked a 4 pound chicken. It took 1 1/2 hours and no lie, it was the BEST chicken I'd ever eaten. It was perfect. The outside was crispy and delicious and the meat couldn't have been more tender. Just tonight I tried my hand at baked potatoes after reading in the instruction manual that you can make them in the unit. 4 potatoes at 1 1:2, it's as though they were cooked on the barbecue wrapped in tin foil. Absolutely amazing. The unit itself is relatively easy to clean. I found that the spit required some soaking before the food remnants loosened from it but that's no big deal. For someone who has been on a diet for the past 2 months, this is an amazing product. I also have the 'Lean Mean Grilling Machine' which I use frequently. Combined with the rotisserie, this really is a 1-2 punch knockout!

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (Two-Disc Widescreen Enhanced and Original Theatrical Versions)
DVD ~ Mark Hamill
Offered by gamecoma
Price: $36.19
67 used & new from $18.58

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy Treatment of a Groundbreaking Film, May 26, 2006
I for one love the Star Wars films. No one can deny that they were definitely ahead of their time. In 1977, when the first film was released theatrically, movie-goers were treated to what could only be described back then as pure magic on the silver screen.

Like others, I was ecstatic about finally owning the ORIGINAL trilogy on DVD, the way these films were shown in theaters in '77, '80, & '83. Sure, George Lucas re-tooled the films in 1997 for the theatrical re-release, and even moreso in 2004 for the DVD release, but let's face facts. The ORIGINAL films are what made Lucas the bulk of his riches.

So why on earth is he releasing these films without anamorphic enhancement? As many have stated, it's 2006, and non-anamorphic transfers have become a thing of the past. Releasing a film anamorphically IS the norm for DVD in this day and age, so again, I ask WHY?

Furthermore, Lucasfilm is touting the ORIGINAL films as no more than BONUS MATERIAL. To me, and many others, this is a huge slap in the face. Sure, Lucas feels that the re-tooled CGI laden versions are the definitive films, and as the director, he is certainly entitled to that opinion. But let's face facts. It wasn't the special editions that people clamored to see over and over again in the theaters. It wasn't the special editions whcih earned Lucas & Co. the big bucks. Furthermore, it wasn't the special editions that were nominated for various Academy Awards. The films we saw in the late 70's and early 80's WERE and ARE the films that many of us remember so fondly. To sell these films as simple bonus material is downright ungrateful to the millions of fans who grew up loving these films the way there were shown ORIGINALLY.

But if I must, I can look past the fact that this is bonus material. However, I can't look past the fact that these films will not be enhanced for 16x9 sets. That's just uncalled for.

Let me put this in the simplest of terms. Many people nowadays own widescreen television sets. Watching an ANAMORPHICALLY ENHANCED widescreen DVD on a widescreen set means that all (or most of the image will fill that screen. In the case of the Star Wars films, small black bars will be seen at the top and bottom of the set, only because the film was shot wider than the TV itself.

Now, to watch these films with NON-ANAMORPHIC enhancement, approximately 2/3 of your screen will be black bars. Of course, these TV's have a ZOOM function which will zoom in the image, but be prepared for an even worse image than you expected.

See, this is what Lucas thinks of his fans. He's simply throwing them a bone by porting over the LaserDisc editions which were produced 13 years ago. No cleanup, no anamorphic enhancement........nothing. George Lucas, the same man behind THX and the highest possible standard for audio and visual presentation, can't even adhere to today's standard procedure for producing DVDs, and that's making these films ANAMORPHIC.

I emplor you, please don't buy these films in this current state. You'll only be proving to Lucas that he was right; that people will buy it regardless of its condition. We fans deserve better than this. These films are groundbreaking in every possible way, and as such, should be treated better than this.

Married... with Children: Season 4
Married... with Children: Season 4
DVD ~ Ed O'Neill
Offered by J&S GAMES
Price: $7.53
77 used & new from $3.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete? Not quite., August 25, 2005
I must begin by saying that I am a huge fan of "Married...With Children". I watched it religiously throughout its original broadcast run, and rarely ever missed it when it aired in syndication. I loved the show so much that back in the day I had dozens of VHS tapes filled with episodes.

Now I was literally ecstatic a couple of years ago when Columbia/Tri-Star (now Sony Home Entertainment) released the first season on DVD. My legs couldn't carry me to the video store quickly enough. :) Needless to say, I own the first three seasons of the show, and have every intention of picking up the fourth.

Now judging by the title of this review, you're probably thinking this is yet another gripe about the replaced theme song. Well, it's not. Although to me, "Love & Marriage" is synonymous with the show, it never bothered me for a moment that it was replaced. The fact is, the rights holders demanded way too much money.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. What I want to touch base on are the episodes themselves. I have it on extremely good authority that 7 of the episodes contained within this set are SYNDICATED cuts. In other words, these are not the versions which were broadcasted on FOX originally. These versions are at least a minute shorter than the rest, whereas various footage was cut. For those who still don't understand, these are the versions you see 5 days a week on various networks. The cut footage makes way for more commercials. In other words, these are the versions that were used.

What you will see now is a list of the run times for each episode on the set. Note, the episodes than run under 23 minutes. These are the syndicated episodes of which I speak:

23:10, 22:33, 22:20, 23:08, 23:08, 23:09, 23:10, 23:10, 23:09, 22:31, 23:10, 23:09, 23:10, 23:11, 22:34, 22:32, 23:11, 23:09, 23:08, 22:31, 22:35, 22:08, 23:08

Now, this will not deter me from purchasing this set. Although a bit disheartening, it is only 7 out of the 23 episoes which are syndicated cuts. Certain shows recently released such as "The Cosby Show", "Roseanne" and "ALF" contain nothing BUT syndicated episodes.

I'm not one to nitpick, but I felt the general public should know EXACTLY what they're buying. But, in this reviewer's opinion, it will indeed be a great set nonetheless.

We have the infamous "It's a Bundyful Life" the 2-part episode guest starring the late, great Sam Kinison. "Hot Off the Grill" where Al barbecus using Marcy's dead Aunt's ashes. Then there's "Rain Girl" where Kelly becomes the station's hot new meteorologist. Let's not forget that Buck finally speaks this season. Also notable is David Garrison (Steve Rhodes) who becomes a recurring character as opposed to main cast member. Definitely a great season all around.

Despite the syndicated cuts, it still sounds like a great set all around.

Roseanne: Season 1
Roseanne: Season 1
DVD ~ Roseanne Barr
Offered by whateverforsale
Price: $24.32
16 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Edited Episodes = No Sale, August 16, 2005
This review is from: Roseanne: Season 1 (DVD)
First and foremost, I have to say that 'Roseanne' ranks as one of my all-time favorite sitcoms. It's one of the few shows I never EVER get tired of. Dating back to 1987 when it first aired, right through syndication, I still watch it constantly.

That being said, I was literally ecstatic when I heard this great show was coming to DVD. I swore, I'd be amongst the first to purchase it upon release.

This was until I found out that this set has suffered the same fate as other TV/DVD releases (most notably 'ALF'). Carsey-Werner has taken it upon themselves to give us SYNDICATED EPISODES. In other words, a number of minutes have been shaved off of EACH and EVERY episode contained within this set.

Now we're not talking about useless footage. This is a sitcom, and as such, every minute is intricate to each storyline. We're not losing scenes such as Darlene being lost in thought, or Dan making his way from the living room to the bedroom. Sitcoms are fast-paced, and as many will tell you, each minute DOES count.

So, to the naysayers who claim that this shouldn't be an issue, let me ask you this? Would you purchase a book missing 1/10 of the pages? Would you accept a paycheck missing 1/10 of your earnings? If your answer is NO, then why on earth should we accept this box set when each episode is missing 1/10 of the footage?

For those who love this show, I emplor you. Don't succumb to this mediocre product. By purchasing this, you're telling these companies that it's ok to release products containing missing footage. And by doing that, they'll be under the impression that it's ok to do it with future seasons.......and ultimately, future shows. I for one don't want to see that happen. Do you?

I Love Lucy - The Complete First Season
I Love Lucy - The Complete First Season
DVD ~ Lucille Ball
Offered by CC&G Classic Games & Guides
Price: $11.95
62 used & new from $2.27

5.0 out of 5 stars The Way It Should Have Been Released In The First Place!, February 21, 2005
First of all, I'm a huge fan of "I Love Lucy". I'm only 27, but this is one of the shows I used to watch constantly growing up. So many fantastic moments which still stand the test of time over 50 years later.

Now I was very dismayed with the original release of the first season. Originally, it was released as nine individual volumes. These volumes were eventually bundled together in a box set labelled 'The Complete First Season'.

Well, needless to say, that set was a space hog. The insane price tag of $120 was enough to make me pass it up. Of course, I was tempted to get it, seeing as I wanted it so badly.

When season 2 was released, fans were treated to the slimmer packaging many have come to expect from a TV season release. As a result of the first season's mishaps, I passed this up as well.

Now, on the same date as the season 4 release, Paramount has GONE BACK to the first season and repackaged it to coincide with the other seasons in the form of a 7 disc set!! There has been no word yet if all the extras will be carried over to the new release, but I'm ecstatic nonetheless. The set will be a 7-disc foldout digipack containing all episodes from the first season. The price has been lowered incredibly as well, and will cost about the same as the other seasons of the show.

It just goes to show that sometimes it pays to wait!

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 2 - Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 2 - Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure
DVD ~ Randy Quaid
Price: $3.75
125 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Movie.......REALLY Terrible, July 23, 2004
I saw this on NBC last December. I didn't watch it with high expectations, nor did I expect it to live up to it's predecessor (National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation), but what I was hoping for was something at least remotely amusing which would kill a couple of hours. Needless to say, I was asking for TOO much.

This movie stinks on so many levels. First of all, aside from the mention of "Christmas" three or four times, the average person wouldn't know this was intended to be a "Christmas" movie. The family gets stranded on a deserted island (a la Swiss Family Robinson). There's your plot. They try to build a shelter......and fail. They look for food.....and fail. It's definitely nothing more than a big yawn-fest.

They could've at least made the movie "look" real. The scene when the family is on the boat, you could tell the entire sky and water back-drop was blue-screened. There were no shadows what-so-ever. I've never seen anything look so fake.

The only thing I remotely enjoyed about this was the presence of the original actress who portrayed Audrey in the original "Vacation" flick. But then, even her acting abilities were something yet to be desired.

Now, with all of this being said. I AM going to get this. Call it a completist's curse or whatever. I have to collect my sequels, good or bad. So this will sit and collect dust right next to the far superior, far more enjoyable, and far more satisfying "Christmas Vacation" we've come to know and love.

But if you're not an obsessive collector like myself, I highly suggest you give this a rent before spending your hard earned money purchasing this disgrace of a film. Why this was given the "National Lampoon" seal of approval is beyond me. If I could give this less than 1 star, I most definitely would.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4