Profile for Josh > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Josh RSS Feed (Eastern Central Ohio)

Page: 1 | 2
Fintie SmartShell Case for Google Nexus 7 FHD 2nd Gen 2013 Android Tablet Ultra Slim Lightweight with Smart Cover Auto Wake / Sleep - Black
Offered by Fintie
Price: $9.99
4 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Case / Cost / Customer Service!, August 20, 2013
Case: I've bought a FinTie Case for my 1st Gen Nexus and had it for more than a year - and it's still held up. This case for my 2nd Gen Nexus 7 I can see being no different. The case seems to be made of lighter material, but just as sturdy as it's predecessor. It has all the little cut outs that it's supposed to, like the camera / little known indicator light / rear camera / speakers / power and volume buttons / stereo jack / and mini USB port. The only thing I wish would be that the power and volume buttons were easier to get to. It seems as though that in order to square up the case and provide sufficient protection to the nexus 7 (2013 model), the power and volume buttons seem a little far away - but this is certainly no reason not to get it. Also, the case is snug on the Nexus 7, but still allows a little play room - even when you try to make it as tight a fit as possible (tight as the Velcro will push it back to).

Cost - I got this when it was a penny! (+ 4.99 shipping, but hey! That's still great for me!) Can't beat that!

Customer Service - Fantastic. I thought for sure I got a defective case when the wake function didn't work properly. I would close the lid and it would go to sleep just fine. I would open the lid and it would sometimes wake back up... and sometimes not. They immediately sent me another after I let them know and I tried that case out. Turns out that currently, the Nexus 7 (2013) is in need of a hardware update to fix an internal issue. You can get it to work if you have a app (for instance - Google Music) open and full screen... and put it to sleep... and then open it back up. Also - reading thru some of the amazon comments - it turns out that if you leave your wifi on, it will also wake on demand as expected. So - Nexus 7 (2012) had a screen touch issue... Nexus 7 (2013) has a sleep/wake issue... at least I know Google will fix it soon - but the case is Great!

Overall - would I buy this case again knowing what I know now? Yes! Why? Cost & Quality. Best bang for buck. Best handle of device while protecting from accidental slips/trips/falls.

Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera (Black)
Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera (Black)
Offered by Electromax
Price: $229.99
37 used & new from $40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Small / Covert!, April 30, 2013
If this is an answer to Cell Phone Cameras due to their pocketability, I think they nailed it. I can put this bad boy in my pocket and think it's a phone.

When I hold on to the camera itself, it doesn't feel fragil - but rather, sturdy and "Tight". No loose parts or thin wall feeling.

I like the slow motion camera recording - but it can't do it for long periods though as it heats up and uses a lot of battery in the process!

Pictures turn out great most all the time. Inside pictures take a little more time to focus (half pressing the shutter button and then letting go, and then half pressing again till it focuses correctly). Outdoor pictures are great! I just wish there was a way to stop all camera pre-processing of the pictures I take and allow me to modify the color if it needs it.

I've had this camera for almost 2 years now and the only things that have gone wrong are: The shutter for the lens wouldn't shut all the way, leaving the lens exposed. The other problem that happened was that it records a motor noise when I record video when zooming. The first problem was resolved with Cannon itself due to it being within the one year warranty period (they gave me a refurbished camera + all the original stuff that came with the camera in the first place! From the battery to the charger and cables! Lovin' it!... and just a note, 10 months after ownership, I had that problem with the lens shutter not working correctly). The second problem is in the middle of being resolved with the company I got the added insurance from.

It doesn't take long for it to turn on, resulting in me taking pictures at work of people doing things they'd not want reminded of later (Like running in a field / sleeping on the job / goofing off...). Taking pictures doesn't have to be fun for both parties - just me.

Dockers Men's Gordon Cap Toe Oxford,Black,15 M US
Dockers Men's Gordon Cap Toe Oxford,Black,15 M US
Price: $50.42
5 used & new from $49.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Versitale Shoe, April 30, 2013
I've been wearing these for a while now and they hold up really well with a lot of walking that I do in these shoes. Easy to polish also (not too many seams to polish around).

While wearing, it doesn't rub the back of my ankle the wrong way - it doesn't make a creek or a pop when I walk. I got the same size as I usually do in the store and when I ordered it online, the sizing stayed true to what I'm used to (everything from Red Wing shoes to Payless Shoes)

I like the tread on these shoes. Their not deep enough to allow mud in and require an excavator to remove. When they get dirty on the bottom, a damp paper towell is usually all I need (Many paper towels, but no digging in the tread required)

1500+ Professional Digital Photo Backgrounds and Photography Frame Templates
1500+ Professional Digital Photo Backgrounds and Photography Frame Templates
Offered by EZbackgrounds
Price: $39.95
3 used & new from $30.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Umm - Seems Impressive, April 30, 2013
I like some of the cloth backgrounds that they supply - the "Professional" back drops too... but much past that, some of them look like they were put together by someone playing around in paintshop/photoshop. There are many high quality photo's in this collection too that are nice

One plus for certain people are that it comes chaulk full of templates to use for things like holidays, birth announcements, seniors, weddings and such. If you're into that sort of thing, it's much cheaper getting them this way vs. seperately. Even if it doesn't have anything you like on it, you can at least get ideas from it.

I am not a professional photographer by any means - and I've only been able to use one of the backgrounds so far for one of the portrait shoots I was working on and it turned out well (professionaly taken, I just went to modify the background).

I like the fact that they supplied 4 DVD discs worth of pictures - but it has to be on DVD's, not because of the quantity, but becasue of their file size (22.4 GB).

They include a lot of PSD files - more than i originally thought they would have. Their templates and props and such are setup as PSD to retain their transparency that they setup for it. (Props look cheezy vs. real - which is ok if you are looking for that sort of thing)

Would I get again knowing what I know now? Yes. Why? Because of the templates (For Greeting Cards/Photo Frames/Invitations) and backdrops/pro drape templates (for Background replacements). Provided great idea's and usable backgrounds.

There are Actions/Brushes on here also... and I'm not very impressed by them. Why? There seem to be a bazillion actions and only 4 or 5 (exaggerated figures, just like my "bazillion" figure) seem to work with Photoshop CS 5.5 Extended version. Didn't seem to do anything terribly useful much past add a few adjustment layers. As for the brushes, I believe there were like 10 brushes... and the were comprised of basic shapes such as triangles, squares, circles, hearts, and such. Nothing fancy.

Mensa 365 Brain Puzzlers 2013 Page-A-Day Calendar
Mensa 365 Brain Puzzlers 2013 Page-A-Day Calendar
by Mark Danna
Edition: Calendar
19 used & new from $34.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, April 30, 2013
This was a little more than I barganed for - I was wanting something easy to look at every morning - something to get my brain up and going... these are intense! (For Me - that is) They contain various number / word / letter / symbol puzzles - much the same thing that might appear in your daily paper. It was noted in the product discussion that it was geared towards MENSA testing... whatever that is - sounds too smart for me. Give me a 365 day calendar that has useless facts / pointless trivia / stupid "Hey, did you know" things on it and I'm good to go.

If you're looking for something to leave you thinking for a period of time, you should get this. Me? I'm too busy in the morning to devote the amount of time (4 - 5+ minutes) it takes me to get thru one.

Next year - definately getting the "Fisher Price" version of this calendar!

Jack and Jill
Jack and Jill
DVD ~ Adam Sandler
Price: $8.99
81 used & new from $1.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Funny Movie, September 25, 2012
This review is from: Jack and Jill (DVD)
I don't like Adam Sandler's Movies in general - they appeal to a more mature audience that values obsenity/imorailty in their humor over good clean laughs. However, once in a while, Adam Sandle delivers a great family film (Bedtime Stories). Me and my family have watched this movie over and over again, and each time get a good laugh thru out the movie.

I would classify most of the humor in this movie as "Slapstick" or "Stupid"... And I love both styles - especially when used together

This movie got bad publicity from critics... but so did Star Wars Episode II from NPR's Kenneth Turan when it came out - So, obviously this movie will only appeal to a targeted audience, and I'm of the audience who thought it was just down right funny.

17 17.3 inch Laptop Notebook Skin Sticker Cover Art Decal Fits Laptop Size of 16.5" 17" 18.4" 19" HP Dell Lenovo Asus Compaq Asus Acer Computers (Included Wrist Pad)
Offered by Meffort Inc
Price: $4.65

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre Laptop Decal Experience, May 17, 2012
My first laptop decal, so I'll throw out all my preassumptions about what I thought it would be. Instead of focusing on what it is not, I'll focus on what it is: Art For your Laptop

Pro's:
Sticky - no just "peeling" off
If I did need to remove it, I don't foresee it tearing
Print quality of decal was superb (no streaking lines or abnormalities in colors that weren't part of the design)
Durable - heck, I started a slit in the decal and tried to rip it gently a bit more (to test the strength) - no budging! Had to use scisors the whole way :)

Con's:
Since it was my first one... had a bunch of bubbles in it (most likely due to how I applied the decal) when applied
Decal material was not what I expected - it had a bit of "Skin Like" markings on it (look at your palm - same texture look) and wasn't "Smooth & Glossy"

My laptop monitor is a 16" (diaganol, of course) - its keyboard is complimented with a numeric keypad also - so it's a widescreen 16". I imagine that not many laptops have this keypad on it so this may be why their size chart on the back of the decal didn't fit my laptop. I could still use 1 left and right measurement just fine, and then 1 top and bottom measurement, so I still had a straight line to cut along.

If I were to apply the decal all over again, I'd definately look up how to apply a decal of any sort - I know there is a better way. I had to use a razor blade to pop a hole in each bubble and rub them out... but didn't solve the one wrinkle I sustained in it

The decal was able to contour itself to the laptop lid's MFG name of "ASUS" (sunken letters, not raised) pretty well - so well that I can still make out the letters - nice bonus for me :)

3x Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS / IXUS 220 HS Digital Camera Premium Clear LCD Screen Protector Cover Guard Shield Flim Kit, Perfect fit with Full Protection
Offered by GUARMOR SHIELD
Price: $6.99
2 used & new from $4.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Screen Protector, September 24, 2011
I would compare the "sticky factor" to wall prints that cling to the wall without glue-ish solutions ("Wall Clings", "Removable Vinyl", "Wall Sticker", "Removable/Repositionable Wall Sticker") but seem to stick with "Static" of some sort. I've seen some made with ConTact® paper that work on this same principal.

Measurements (since the product description lacks this at this time...) are: 2 5/16" wide x 1 21/32" Tall

They made this product very easy to apply. 2 protective backings on the product. 1 sticker says: "Step 1, Remove Me!" and naturally, 2nd sticker says "Step2, Remove Me!"... and these stickers extend just past the edge of the product so you can easily grab a hold of them and peel them away revealing a pristine screen protector! They also include a little edger tool to help push air bubbles out after the product is applied.

The Screen Protecter itself (a.k.a. "The Product") feels pretty sturdy (thick) and when applied, gives the screen a nice Clean look!!

I love it

As a side note, I did not have to cut this out to fit, and I did not remove the screen protector and reposition it again, so I am unsure if modifications ARE made to this, if it will effect it in any way.

MARSHALLTOWN The Premier Line SW218 Skywalker Stilts 2.0 Adjusts 18-Inches to 30-Inches
Offered by Life and Home
Price: $346.84
2 used & new from $260.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't be a Ground Runner? How about being a Sky Walker?, June 18, 2011
I bought these for a small drywall project (less than a house, but more than 1 room) and future drywall projects with the intent to upgrade from using a couple of buckets as my way to mud ceilings and the top part of the 8' walls we have.

I've never used stilts before, so this was a new experience for me altogether. It took me about 30 minutes walking around in them with a staff/cane (6') to assist in my balance before I felt comfortable enough to walk on my own. After I realized:

1) I shouldn't watch my feet
2) to Bend/Lean forward before stepping forward
3) I should be well rested and not drowsy
4) I had to use the braces just above my calfs
5) I had to make sure all straps were tight
6) i needed proper foot placement on the foot stand (1/2" of my shoe heal behind the edge of the foot stand... I wear a size 15... might be different with others... ^_^*)
7) that the smallest irregularity in the floor can cause one to stumble (a slight (1/4") drop/increase in floor heighth where 2 floors meet together really make a difference in you keeping your balance if you decide to step on that spot where the difference is)
8) that one should use the bathroom before putting the stilts on... especially if there is a ceiling fan in the bathroom you would use if you'd really have to (Ouch!!)
9) sitting on the kitchen cabinets to put the stilts on was a much better decision than to put them on while sitting on a couch!
10) to have someone around to pick up objects that I dropped on the floor (tape / mud knife...)
11) to be aware of door ways / obstructions on the floor that are in my walking path (you never really pick your foot up very high with these things on)
12) my game plan for falling!

... i found that I could walk much better with them. :)

There is a "Clanging" noise that goes along with these every time you walk... but that part doesn't really bother me.

I'm 6' tall, so the bars that the braces are attached to that telescope to go around my calfs... there's about 1-2" of bar room left for those with higher calfs. (20" to the top of my calf w/no shoes on)

There are ones who say that they use these for small projects, like changing ceiling light bulbs or cleaning gutters... the only reason I wouldn't is because of the time that it would take to put the stilts on. I've gotten it down to about 1 minute per stilt... but I still have to tote them out and put them back when I'm done... and when I compare that to using a ladder or a famous "Bucket" for a one spot thing, the bucket usually wins! :)

There were taller ones available, but considering that I'm 6' tall, and the lowest setting on these are 18", and our ceilings are 8' high... these are the ones I went with... 24" would have been too much, and I would have been crouching much of the time.

Overall, I love these. Makes my job much more fun and quicker to do. However, when I'm done using these for a few hours, I'm beat! They really take it out of one who is not used to making their legs walk as though they were wooden pegs (Shifting weight from one side to the other, waddling down a corridor)... dependent on the below springy action to bend and move forward.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2012 8:42 AM PST

Eviltron
Eviltron
Offered by Bargain Merchant
Price: $27.10
8 used & new from $19.89

5.0 out of 5 stars For Humbeling Workmates, August 21, 2010
This review is from: Eviltron (Office Product)
If your boss has a good sense of humor, I'd use it on him! Otherwise, it may drive him to the funny farm... and you somewhere other than where you are employed currently.

I stuck mine behind a radiator (that was off) and set it to: "Hey, Can You Hear Me?" in a whisper voice. Well, I naturally don't have good hearing so, everytime he asked me about it, I replied with a straight face, "Hear What?" to which he said, "That Voice! I hear, Hey, Can you hear me?"

After accusing everyone in the room... outside the room... and people who he knew weren't fond of him, he started to pick up the phone to see if they were on there... He tried answering the voice, maybe they were stuck in the wall?... he then came to the conclusion that it was a remote control device that someone was setting off. He scoured the room for the sounding box but could not find it.

Well, after a couple of days, I broke my straight face and showed it to him and he found it to be mildly amusing.

Word of this got around to everyone and we all had a good laugh.

Not recomended for employees/boss's with no sesne of humor, people who get irritated and then become irate very easily. People with medical conditions, hear voices already, or believing in ghosts or are paranoid by nature, wouldn't be good victims as when they find out the joker was you, it may not end well for the joker... that'd be you, unless you can blame it on a compulsive agree-er. :)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2011 3:06 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2