Profile for Roger H Gray > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Roger H Gray RSS Feed

Peerless HDS100 HD Wireless Multimedia Center - Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Conference Room use, March 24, 2012
I purchased the HD Flow system for installation in a business conference room. We changed over from a projector and screen to multiple (3) 70" 1080P displays. I purchased 2 extra receivers since the main unit I purchased only came with one receiver. The conference room is approximately 50'X50', with clear lines of sight between the transmitter and the receivers. Displays/receivers are centered, one on each side wall, and one centered on the back wall, with the transmitter centered on the front wall.

The HD Flow system was the perfect choice due to the multiple types of transmitter inputs and the need for those inputs in a business environment. The PC(VGA) input and HDMI input are used primarily, but it helps to have the component/composite as well for flexibility. Obtained Display port and mini-display port adaptors for VGA and HDMI inputs for both MAC and Windows operation.

The multiple receiver system set up was easy following the hdflow.com "Tech Support" web page instructions for changing the single receiver system to multiple "Slave" receivers. Note: a usb thumb drive is necessary for this process. I recommend using this simple process and in the sequence provided.

I tried to set the receivers up using a router/ethernet connection to access the receivers individually (one at a time) based on their default set IP address (always 192.168.0.152). While the units appeared to accept and save the settings changes (WiFi, IP address and Slave # settings, when powered down and moved, they defaulted back to factory settings.

Two minor weak points affect this product.

The first is the manual. The instructions are weak, especially when dealing with less than 1080P devices. I tested the system first using displays that were a mix of 1080P and 720P and the 720P displays would only display the "HD FLOW" logo and not allow the video signal being transmitted to be displayed. My source was a PC and I tried adjusting the screen resolution to allow the signal to be displayed but none of the resolutions from 800X600 up worked on the 720P display. In fairness, all of the 70" displays in the conference room are 1080P and there were no issues with the display of the video on the displays (Sharp Aquous LC-70LE732U).

The second is the transmitter and receiver stand. The stand slips on to the unit, but doesn't physically attach or lock in place onto the unit. This became an issue for me since I needed to hang them from the ceiling. Got around this issue by using double-sided tape on the sides where the stand slips over the unit. There are no mounting holes in the stand, but the slots in the stand allowed screws with washers under the heads to secure the stand to the ceiling. Mounted the receivers in a verticle orientation due to the warnings about horizontal mounting and excessive heat build up potential.

One other issue, when testing the units, I did not have the conference room available and had to test their functionality by putting the receivers in different rooms (all interanal walls- wood studs/standard dry wall). The farthest receiver was approximately 50 ft away from the transmitter and the video signal received/displayed was intermittent and pixileated. Perfect signal in our 50' X 50' conference room, but questionable at 50' through walls. Wireless home internet router (802.11n) was in-between the HDFlow transmitter and receiver, which could have affected the signal, although it was operating at a totally different frequency. Have had over 100 in conference room all with cell phones, ipads and androids blazing and wifi-ing and no interference between any of these signals with the HDFlow system.

Overall, very pleased with the system in the conference room environment and would purchase again for home or business use.

Foscam FI8910W Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with Two-Way Audio and Night Vision (White)
Price: $64.99
71 used & new from $39.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great inexpensive security cam, February 15, 2012
The Foscam F18910W camera is operating quite well. I have 3 F18918W cameras and have been pleased with their operation and function as well. They are very stable cameras - images always available whenever I link to them- and easy to set up.

For setup, I have found it easier to just plug them in using the Ethernet connection, and then log into my router and find their IP address, and set them up from there. The only thing you have to remember during setup is that the new camera's port may be set the same as an existing camera. In this case either shut down any existing cameras, or use the FosCam install software and let it find the new camera and port number.

I have the FosCams mounted in our business for security and their range of motion and quality of images- including infrared- has been invaluable. Also the sound quality is good from the camera. Talking through the cameras to someone is weak, but there. I am replacing older D-Link DCS-900 cameras which are fixed position only provide picture- no sound or two-way communication capabilities.

One feature that would be good in my case would be the ability to zoom in on an object. Zoom is not a function of any of the FosCam models I now have.

I monitor the cameras from my IPad, my Droid 2 and 3 phones using an excellent app - IP Cam Viewer from Robert Chou. I also use IE and Chrome browsers.

You do have to use port forwarding on your router so you can find the cameras via your business/home location's IP address. If you don't have a static IP address, you can use dyndns.org to track your dynamic IP address.
Comment Comments (31) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2014 12:35 PM PST