Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
True of Blood: Book 1 of The Witch Fairy Series
True of Blood: Book 1 of The Witch Fairy Series
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A darn good story despite some grammar goofs, July 28, 2013
The Witch Fairy series is light contemporary fantasy with a good dose of romance. The two main characters are 17ish when the series starts, so it's definitely got a YA slant. Now that I have all that dry info out of the way, I actually enjoyed the whole series (I've read through book 9... I'm pretty sure the series will continue farther, though).

The plot is interesting, the main character, Xandra, is refreshingly forthright and a bit in-your-face with her co-stars. She thinks it, then she says it... although sometimes she says BEFORE she consciously thinks it. LOL In any case, I enjoy that about her. The romance is sweet and quick to get started. There's no waiting until book 5 for them to admit to falling for each other. Although the "sex" scenes are perhaps a tad bit more detailed than your average YA romance, they're not over the top, and I'd feel comfortable having my 16-year-old daughter read the series.

Now a few caveats. I'm a bit of a word and grammar snob. This author self-publishes, which I think is great, but she needs a better editor friend to catch the boo boos that make it through to the published work. Sometimes it's a matter of the wrong homonym (e.g. their vs. there), though that is minimal... I think that's more a matter of her fingers typing before her brain catches up, and is just something a better editor would catch). In one of the earlier books of the series, a character's name was spelled two different ways throughout a few chapters. Sometimes she misuses words, though this is thankfully minimal. (For example, she uses the word "snit" completely wrong, meaing to imply that the main character is young, immature, and a bit smart-mouthed, when in fact, the word "snit" is a tiny temper tantrum. I think what bugged me the most is that she used "snit" wrong two or three times in the space of a chapter or two! Once could've been a typo or a brain fart. More than once is just a misunderstanding of the word.) Sometimes she uses odd turns of phrase like "get off from her" rather than "get off of her." Perhaps this is a regional dialect thing from where the author lives... she uses "off from" rather than "off of" throughout the whole series (though only in narration, not in dialogue... weird), so it's definitely not a typo.

Despite my caveats, the stories are otherwise well conceived and delivered. The pacing is good; the characterization is pretty strong; the plots are interesting and credible; the dialogue is snappy; the main characters are likable; and the stories have "flow." There was no sloppiness or choppiness or missing dialogue tags that made me go back and re-read to figure out what was going on or who the hell was talking. All of these pluses overcome the occasional grammar goof for me, hence my 4 stars instead of the 3 I was originally going to give.

So here's my bottom line: I acknowledged to myself a few chapters into the first book that I was not reading Sue Grafton, Robert Jordan, John Grisham, or anyone else with a big publishing house editorial department (not to mention several decades of writing experience) behind them. I have read some REALLY awful stuff over the years, books I couldn't even finish because the writing itself kept yanking me out of the story. The only thing this author really needs is a better editor to catch the bad stuff, and to teach her the right way.

Give her books a chance. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised -- despite my grammar Nazi gripes. =)

Universal PC/Stereo Gaming Headset - Yapster TM-YB100A – Black
Universal PC/Stereo Gaming Headset - Yapster TM-YB100A – Black
Price: $17.58
37 used & new from $7.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Short functional life span, June 28, 2013
Got these for my 16-year-old daughter to use with her laptop. She is UBER careful with all of her electronic stuff. Within a few months, the right side stopped working. I know you get what you pay for, but I had hoped for more than 3 or 4 months of use. That is about the same lifespan as a $5 set of ear buds, so why spend the extra money?

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars A Cool Design, but..., June 28, 2013
I've had two of these mugs now. It is NOT dishwasher safe, which it says on either the packaging or the bottom of the mug (I forget which). I told my family this, but someone forgot and put it in there anyway. After one regular wash (not the heavy duty cycle), the design started to peel off. Thereafter it was hand washed, but even in warm (not hot) dishwater, the design continued to peel further as it was washed with a soft sponge.

In a very sweet effort to make things right, my younger daughter bought me the very same mug for Mother's Day. Everyone vowed not to put it in the dishwasher. And STILL, the design peels off when hand washing it. It's not nearly as bad as the one that went through the dishwasher, but it's still peeling. Years ago, I had an X-Files mug that did the same disappearing thing when hot coffee was poured into it ("Trust no one. The truth is out there.") With THAT mug, the design survived hundreds of trips through the dishwasher before one of my cats finally knocked it off the counter and broke it. =( It was not a stick-on design, obviously -- or at least had a hefty layer of glaze baked on over top the sticker.

If you hand wash your dishes with a silk rag in cold water, this mug MIGHT be safe in your house. Otherwise, don't waste your money -- no matter how temptingly cool looking it is!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2013 3:46 PM PDT

Fairy Tail: Guild Necklace
Fairy Tail: Guild Necklace
Offered by Toystop
Price: $12.99
4 used & new from $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute item, April 11, 2013
My daughter adores this necklace. The charm is fine, but the leather(?) string broke about three months after she got it. If you have a spare chain or string, you can easily replace it.

Amazon Kindle Zip Sleeve, Lime (fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle, and Kindle Touch)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little product -- no frills, but gets the job done, March 31, 2013
It is what it is: a nice padded protective sleeve for your Kindle. My only real complaint was the lack of color choices. Good thing I love green! Also, it would be nice if it was designed in such a way that I could zip up my Kindle while still leaving an opening to charge it. But that's no biggie. I just put my Kindle in with the bottom end facing the top of the sleeve and zip as far as I can. (I have dogs and cats who wreak havoc in my house... everything ends up on the floor at some point!) All in all, it's a good product for the price.

StoryStarters
StoryStarters
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fantasy, sci fi, horror, and mystery prompts, March 31, 2013
This review is from: StoryStarters (Kindle Edition)
Although it doesn't say so in the description, the majority of these story starters have a macabre feel. The book would probably less useful if you're looking to write the "great American novel" or literary fiction. I'm interested in novel writing and have found that several different starters can be used within the same work of fiction to ignite some sub-plots. Tweak them to make them your own. Great job, Mr. Fryman, and thank you!

Durarara Izaya and Shizuo Brown Messenger Bag
Durarara Izaya and Shizuo Brown Messenger Bag
2 used & new from $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loved it, March 31, 2013
It seems to be made well, and the design imprint seems like it's going to survive high school! Other than that, only time will tell how it holds up.

L'Oreal Paris HiP Studio Secrets Professional Color Truth Cream Eyeliner, Black, 0.159 Ounce
Offered by Paylessforretail
Price: $13.75
6 used & new from $11.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, January 2, 2013
I love this product! Not only did it get here within a few days, but it's amazing! It goes on really smooth, though I use my own eyeliner brush. It comes with its own brush, but I found it harsh, and it made my eyes water when I tried to apply it to my lower lash line. That's the only thing I didn't like about it. But, my point is it doesn't run or smudge (unless you want it to), and it has an amazing color. I'd definitely recommend this product, 100%!

Doctor Who Future Sonic Screwdriver
Doctor Who Future Sonic Screwdriver
Offered by ToysNGamesEtc
Price: $21.00
44 used & new from $19.22

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but WAY overpriced, December 28, 2012
My 13-year-old ordered this with an Amazon gift card she received for Xmas. I will give you that it's cute and she's had a ball "sonic-ing" things all over the place, but $23 for this bit of plastic is ridiculous. (You are, of course, paying for the name, not just the product.) The plastic is of the brittle, easily chipped variety. If she drops it on the floor, something will DEFINITELY pop off! I am certain there are less expensive versions out there that still carry the coveted Dr Who brand. (Okay, I just did a Google Shopping search and they seem to range from $11 - $28, not including shipping. I'm a Prime member, so shipping was free with this $23 marvel. LOL)

They also come in different versions... e.g. the 10th doctor's sonic screwdriver, the 4th doctor's, the 11th doctor's, etc. This particular one has a photo of River Song on the box (which I think they sneakily don't show you on the description page for this item) so this is River Song's screwdriver. HOWEVER, as I told my daughter, in one episode River whips out "her own" sonic screwdriver... when the Doctor looks at her curiously, she tells him that it was one he loans her (in his future) and she wasn't able to give back (or something to that effect). So it's still technically THE DOCTOR'S screwdriver. (So, for those of you who argue -- or whose teenage friends argue! -- that THEIR sonic screwdriver is more "authentic" because it belonged to the 10th Doctor, or whoever, and that YOUR version is River's, not HIS, it is. LOL Yes, my daughter's friend had this discussion with her, and I had to settle it by summarizing the episode I just mentioned. lmao)

Anyway, shop and compare. You might decide to go ahead and get this one, or you might find another one that's more to your liking, both price-wise and feature-wise. For my daughter, this was $23 well spent. Go figure. LOL My daughter's friend's screwdriver telescopes out at the end, while this one doesn't. This item DOES come with the 3 required button cell batteries to get your started.

Happy sonic-ing!

Advantage Series: Microsoft Office 2003
Advantage Series: Microsoft Office 2003
by Glen Coulthard
Edition: Spiral-bound
61 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars mostly worthless, June 23, 2007
This book is required for an Introduction to Computers class I am taking, and frankly, I find it all but useless. Often the directions on the pages don't seem to correspond with the options on my screen, although I am running the same version of Office that the book purports to cover.

When I am confused by THIS book, I whip out other books that I've found more helpful, namely the Microsoft Office 2003 QuickSteps series. There is a book for each application of Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel, and Access).

I had to do some searching on Amazon in order to find each book so that I could share the information with my classmates in Intro to Computers. Often I had to plug into the Amazon search bar the entire title (for example, Microsoft Office Word 2003 QuickSteps) in order to find the book. Sometimes that worked, other times I had to plug in a different one (for example, Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 QuickSteps), and use the option to search for other similar books, or "readers who bought this book also bought these," etc.

The authors involved with the various books are Marty Matthews, John Cronan, Lisa McCoy, Carole Matthews, Kellen Diamanti, Curt Simmons, Virginia Andersen, and Brenda Bryant Andersen. Perhaps an Amazon author search would yield better/quicker results than when I navigated from one link to another.

Good luck all!