Profile for Ben > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ben RSS Feed (Minnesota)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Danner Men's Nobo Mid 6 Inch Hiking Boot,Brown/Red,13 D US
Danner Men's Nobo Mid 6 Inch Hiking Boot,Brown/Red,13 D US
Offered by OutdoorEquipped
Price: $124.79
8 used & new from $124.79

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, Comfortable Fit, April 1, 2014
At first I ordered some Vasque St Elias backpacking boots because I read a good review by Backpacker Magazine. I found them to be very uncomfortable. I sent them back and ordered these Danner Nobo's. What a difference! The boot has high quality USA made construction. I love the abrasion guard around the toe. I love the waterproof Goretex Liner. I love that it is lightweight. It is completely comfortable right out of the box. I took them for a couple miles around the neighborhood, and it felt like I was walking on clouds. I'm not wasting my time with other boots anymore. It's Danners from here on out. These will be great for my hiking/backpacking trips this summer.

Vasque Men's St. Elias GTX Backpacking Boot
Vasque Men's St. Elias GTX Backpacking Boot
Price: $131.17 - $189.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality material but tight fit, April 1, 2014
I wear a size 13 shoe and have never had a problem with a size 13 shoe being too small for me. I ordered this boot in size 13 for hiking/backpacking. Right away I noticed that there was some rubbing on my big toe and pinky toe. It seemed like the toe of the boot was too narrow. I sent it back and ordered a second pair that was size 13 wide. It was a little better, but there was still rubbing. Like I said, I've never had a problem with a size 13 shoe my whole life. I sent it back and ordered a Danner Nobo in size 13. It feels like I'm walking with a cloud wrapped around my foot. Should have went with the Danner the first time.

I gave it 3 stars because the quality of the boot construction seems good. If you get a pair that fits your foot, you might have a great boot here. If I was you, I would just go with the Danner. Same high quality boot with a goretex liner, but it's actually comfortable to wear.

Zippo Hand Warmer, Chrome
Zippo Hand Warmer, Chrome
Price: $12.46
75 used & new from $5.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent and difficult to operate, March 3, 2014
I bought two of these hand warmers for my wife who tends to have chilly hands whenever she does outdoors winter activities with me (fishing, hiking, skiing). I struggled trying to fill the fuel tank. I poured too fast at first and spilled fuel all over the place. After I got passed that issue, they worked pretty well. They heat up really hot. So hot that you can't touch them if you leave them out of the cloth bag they come with.

Then after working the first couple times, they became very difficult to ignite. I've read and reread the directions. I've watched You-Tube instructional videos, but it is just a struggle to get them lit. I think I spent 20 minutes trying to ignite them before our skiing trip two week ago. The problem is that you have to fill the tank, put the burner back on, wait for the burner to fill with fumes, then hold a lighter to the burner for 10 seconds. When it doesn't work, you don't really know until you are sitting there holding it for about a minute and it doesn't start to get warmer. I did eventually get them lit, but they extinguished inside of my wife's coat pockets. I'm guessing they didn't have enough oxygen to keep them going after she zipped the pockets up while skiing. I tried replacing the burners to see if that helped the problem, but it did not.

Pros: can get very hot when they work

Cons: can be difficult to re-fill, hard to get ignited, doesn't stay ignited in a closed jacket pocket

Overall, I'm not a fan.

Big Agnes Q-Core SL Insulated Sleeping Pad (Long/Orange)
Big Agnes Q-Core SL Insulated Sleeping Pad (Long/Orange)
Offered by Camp Saver
Price: $127.46
13 used & new from $127.46

5.0 out of 5 stars I can sleep on my side while camping now, October 2, 2013
I used this pad up in the BWCA last weekend. I absolutely loved it. I even woke up in the morning sleeping on my side. I have never slept on my side while camping because my arm falls asleep. I slip this pad right in the slot of my Big Agnes Encampment bag, and I never fell off of it in the middle of the night. My only complaint is that when I sleep on my back, my elbows hang off the sides of the pad. I am 6'3" and have wide shoulders. So if you don't have freakishly wide shoulders, it probably won't be a problem. Best features are comfort, lightweight, compactability, and warmth.

Dogtra 1900NCP Field Star 1/2 mile Training Collar Single Dog
Dogtra 1900NCP Field Star 1/2 mile Training Collar Single Dog
Offered by NelsonPets
Price: Click here to see our price
100 used & new from $204.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I use it every day, October 2, 2013
I originally went with a cheaper version of e-collar made by Petsafe. It worked decently well, but the battery required a recharge every day. After a couple months, the battery wouldn't even sustain a full charge. The range significantly diminished to the point that my dog wasn't responding to the collar at less than 30 feet. I decided to fork out the extra money and buy this Dogtra collar. I liked that it has a replaceable battery if it ever goes bad. The Petsafe did not. It took almost a month of daily use of the Dogtra before I needed to recharge it. Talk about a serious improvement over the Petsafe! I put the collar on my dog when we go for walks and hikes. He roams around and I rarely have to use the stimulation anymore, but it's nice to have the peace of mind. Just the other week, he spotted a cat and took off at a full sprint in the direction of a road. I held down the continuous button, and he stopped instantly and started trotting back to me. He probably made it 150 yards before I managed to hit the button, but it still worked. Had I not had the Dogtra, he would have been long gone. The other option would be to walk him on the leash only, but that get boring. He loves to roam.

Before I Go: Letters to Our Children About What Really Matters
Before I Go: Letters to Our Children About What Really Matters
by Peter Kreeft
Price: $14.83
68 used & new from $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable Read, August 12, 2013
This book consists of little page or two entries from the author who has compiled this list of wisdom to pass along to his children. He's a gifted writer with a great sense of humor. The wisdom is priceless and it comes from a life-long relationship with Christ. I'm going to enjoy reading this for years. Maybe, someday, I could write my own version for my children.

A Grandparent's Legacy: Your Life Story in Your Own Words
A Grandparent's Legacy: Your Life Story in Your Own Words
by Thomas Nelson
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $11.69
99 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Priceless, August 12, 2013
I gave this to my grandmother several years ago. I completely forgot about it until she passed away last fall. My mother found the book and discovered that my grandmother had filled it out. We learned so many things about her childhood and her life that we never knew. It brought so many tears and laughs to my mother and her sisters and to the rest of the family as well. Grandma lived a pretty private life, but she really opened up for us in this book. It was one of the most treasured things she left behind for us.

MSR Flex 4 Pot Set
MSR Flex 4 Pot Set
Offered by River Sports Outfitters
Price: $129.95
2 used & new from $129.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, lightweight pots, August 12, 2013
This review is from: MSR Flex 4 Pot Set (Housewares)
I use these pots to cook for up to 4 people while hiking. They are very durable and lightweight. I like how the tops can be secured and there are holes on the lids so you can strain through them.

Mr. Heater MH12C  14,000 BTU Heater / Cooker
Mr. Heater MH12C 14,000 BTU Heater / Cooker
Offered by Olsen Industrial Sales
Price: $69.89
6 used & new from $41.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for 4 person portable ice fishing house, August 12, 2013
I use this in my portable 4 person ice fishing house, and it works great. It heats it up to t-shirt temperature after a few minutes. I usually have to turn it of so that I don't start sweating. Make sure to give it some room though because it will melt things. When I want some hot chocolate, I flip it over and set a kettle on top of it to heat up some water. It gets it boiling in a few minutes.

Streamlight 88040 ProTAC HL High Lumen Professional Tactical Light with white LED, Black.
Price: $66.97
38 used & new from $61.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Very High Power plus a low power option, August 12, 2013
I'm a night shift patrol officer. I have my flashlight set to the low/high setting. When I first approach a vehicle that I stop, I double tap the switch so that I'm on high beam. I guarantee that everyone in that car who tries to look at me on my approach is completely blinded by this light. It's powerful. Once I have all hands in sight and my problem areas are controlled, I tap it down to the low beam so I don't blind myself with the reflections from DL and paperwork. It's nice having two options available. It has a little metal clip on it so I can hang it on my shoulder when taking notes. I'd highly recommend buying a pack of batteries though (Streamlight 85177 CR123A Lithium Batteries, 12-Pack) because it's not rechargeable. It takes two of those batteries, and I think they last me about a month or two before needing to be replaced. If it was rechargeable without sacrificing power, weight, or price, I would have given it a 5. I like the size of the flashlight too. It's small and light. It's also easy to hold while shooting. There is a strobe setting, but I don't use it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3