Profile for Hunter's Wife > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 63

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Hunter's Wife "Diane" RSS Feed (Pennsylvania, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
by Sarah Ballantyne
Price: $23.95
44 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Technically intense, but not a cookbook, February 3, 2014
This is well constructed and researched, but it it is essentially a very scientific, lengthy version of Practical Paleo with only six "preview" recipes on the last couple of pages promoting the upcoming cookbook.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2014 4:02 PM PST

Innovative Textile Microfiber Sofa Furniture Protector, Sage
Innovative Textile Microfiber Sofa Furniture Protector, Sage
Price: $22.99
2 used & new from $22.07

1.0 out of 5 stars If you have overstuffed furniture this will NOT work...., April 15, 2013
We have a Lane reclining sofa and the sides and back are overstuffed making the portion that covers the back completely useless and annoying. I am going to alter this using my sewing machine so that only the seat portion remains.
On the plus side, the color is nice and it looks better than the blanket we had stuffed around the cushions.

Cookin' Crunk: Eating Vegan in the Dirty South
Cookin' Crunk: Eating Vegan in the Dirty South
by Bianca Phillips
Price: $15.51
57 used & new from $9.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Southern cooking made vegan-awesome, September 20, 2012
Nutritional information: Yes!!! Every recipe has it, making it easy for dietary planning.
Ease of recipes: the ones I made were simple and requiring few steps, ingredients are easy to get.

Recipes I made this week:

Tempeh Gumbo (p 77), The favors were subtle and tasty. If you are concerned with spicy, these recipes are not hot. My husband didn't realize it was vegan and nearly fell on the floor thinking it was chicken.

Hoppin' John (p 101) this is just down-right awesome. I made it a one-pot meal by adding the rice to the dish.

No-Tel Ro Tel (p 37) makes a large batch. We've been eating all week, on nearly everything... I really need a Vitamix to get smoother textures, but that's me,not the book :-)

BBQ Seitan Ribs (p 96) flavors are great, recipe is good, I need to work on my seitan kneading, I made them and they were a bit tough. Again me, not the recipe.

The recipes I made only got better as leftovers when the favors blend and the seasonings do their thing..

Forks Over Knives - The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year
by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Price: $10.71
116 used & new from $6.59

3.0 out of 5 stars No nutritional info, could make some recipes surprisingly unhealthy, August 15, 2012
While this contains a lot of great recipes, better proof of the program's health benefits could have been reinforced with the listing of nutritional information per recipe.

I follow a popular diet program and have found it difficult to lose and maintain my weight when using "plant based" (a.k.a. vegetarian and vegan)cookbooks without nutritional information.

I ran the sample recipe "Mushroom Stroganoff" though my nutritional builder and it turned out that the recipe serving, made as listed, would consume half of my recommended daily intake.

I'm not debating the health benefits of this lifestyle, I've felt it, the problem is the carbohydrate loads are so high in comparison to the overall dish, making it difficult for someone like me to sustain weight for the long haul.

It has a lot of recipes, could use some more pictures, but may require adjustments to ingredients to suit health restrictions (diabetes) or those of us who are "the last few pound, dieters"
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2013 12:41 PM PDT

Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat
Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat
by Roberto Martin
Price: $20.99
110 used & new from $7.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes... but..., May 7, 2012
I made the Chickn' and Collards recipes and was absolutely in love with dishes. The cookbook is great, but tends to reinforce the idea that vegan cooking uses a lot of highly processed foods in order to compensate for the lack of meat.

I think the author wanted to make the dishes approachable and fast which is why so much Gardein is used. I'm always amazed how Veganism is touted as healthy, but yet books are devoid of nutritional information, this would have been a nice feature, because I think the author uses to much oil and many of the recipes are fried.

Aside from those two points, I love the book. Great pictures, the food is easy to make and fun.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2012 6:23 AM PDT

Celebrate Vegan: 200 Life-Affirming Recipes For Occasions Big And Small
Celebrate Vegan: 200 Life-Affirming Recipes For Occasions Big And Small
by Dynise Balcavage
Price: $14.46
94 used & new from $1.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique recipes.., November 16, 2011
I'll start by saying that I have an omnivore's house (as if my sign-on didn't give that away), So I make no claims of being vegan, but I do incorporate veganism / vegetarianism heavily into our diet. That said, I really like this book because as if the holiday's aren't stressful enough, there is alway one dietary restriction to incorporate into the meal. This is a great book to add to the library. The serving sizes are large to accomodate larger groups, the dishes are simple and easy to make.

I started with the Thai-Centric Mac & Cheese because I saw it demonstrated on her blog and the recipe intrigued me. Easy to make, meat-eater husband thought it was wonderful and took a big batch in for leftovers. Recipe was also easy to cut in half, since I wasn't sure how we would get through 8 servings.

Just like her last book, well thought out. Great read. Good book.

MLB Boston Red Sox Toss Game
MLB Boston Red Sox Toss Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely well constructed!!, July 15, 2011
This review is for the product itself and not restricted to one team. (The team logo is a sticker that you put on each stand, so the product is the same for each team)

I never expected this game to be so WELL constructed. The yellow ladder is made out of metal, with plastic inserts to guide each piece. The base is a thick coated board and the bolas are bound with strong rope / thread.

Once its together, its solid. There will be no tipping this game, or the ladder collapse like the plastic ones do... no way.

The price is high, but if you are going to play alot, an avid team fan or this is a gift, it is really worth it.

It also comes with a storage case to hold the pieces after you deconstruct it.

Mystery Quest: Curse of the Ancient Spirits - Nintendo DS
Mystery Quest: Curse of the Ancient Spirits - Nintendo DS
Offered by POSTED FROM UK UNITED KINGDOM!!!!
Price: $39.99
20 used & new from $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably simple...., July 8, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This is a seek'n' find adventure game that is incredibly simple. So simple that they tell you exactly what to do in order to solve tasks. (i.e. take flint, combine. Take sparking flint, combine with kindling etc...).

Some of the items are difficult to find because they made the image to small and the clarity is masked by the fuzziness of the overall image. The hint bar fills up fast, so for the one or two items you can't find, you will.

The story line is fine, but I really play these games for the image hunt.

Overall, simple, non-descript game that is good for a relaxing weekend.

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Nintendo DS
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Nintendo DS
Price: $11.99
112 used & new from $4.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy brain candy after a hard day...., June 9, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I've played Lego Indiana, Star Wars and Harry Potter. This is the easiest of all of them, making it perfect after work brain-melter.

Stories: Hard to follow. They are extremely abridged and altered that its almost hard to distinquish that they are from the franchise.

Levels: Four movies, half having only four levels each.

Game play / challenge: This game does not get progressively harder. There is much redundancy (herding pigs, herding crabs, picking up stones) without increased challenge. The game tells you which player to choose for certain situations. The machines / mechanisms you use don't change and it is very easy to figure out what you need to do.

Overall: I think they short-changed the Lego franchise and the Pirates franchise by scrimping on the game play. They cut this game short. Harry Potter had so many levels and was so inventive on some of the tasks you needed to complete. This doesn't have any of it.

Pirates is a game you play when you just want to beat a game and burn brain cells. I'm playing it again so that I can use my full crew to get all of the goodies I couldn't get the first time around. I'll probably go back to Harry Potter and trade this towards something else...

Rose Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian
Rose Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian
by Rose Elliot
Price: $22.50
72 used & new from $0.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book..., January 18, 2011
I looked at this book prior to the holidays and held off. I'm glad I did because I got it at a discount. Pricing aside, (which makes it affordable if you're on the fence about buying it) I really like this vegetarian cookbook.

So far I've made the Ratatouille tart and new potatos and it was quite simple and delicious. As this is vegetarian and not vegan cookbook, the recipes contain dairy and eggs. Some recipes are vegan by the nature of the ingredients.

The recipes are easy and the cookbook is well made. If you need pictures to help you cook and visualize the dish, this cookbook may not be for you. It is limited in pictures, but the volume of recipes makes up for it.

Overall, a great addition to the cookbook library.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7