Profile for allankoay > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

allankoay RSS Feed

The Val Lewton Horror Collection (Cat People / The Curse of the Cat People / I Walked with a Zombie / The Body Snatcher / Isle of the Dead / Bedlam / The Leopard Man / The Ghost Ship / The Seventh Victim / Shadows in the Dark / Martin Scorsese Presents Val Lewton Documentary)
DVD ~ Robert Wise
Price: $23.99
11 used & new from $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy movies, disc problem but Amazon is also classy, December 30, 2012
I devoured these movies in just a few days once I received the set from Amazon. The B-grade-sounding titles of these movies are totally misleading, because these are not some cheapo B-grade schlock horror, but very classy, very imaginative and very understated films about psychological terror. Well, they were 'cheapo" because RKO gave Lewton only small budgets to work with and thus, he had to be imaginative about using sounds and shadows to create terrifying moods in lieu of special effects. I Walked With a Zombie is a masterpiece, and so are Cat People and its "sequel" (it has returning characters but the storyline essentially has nothing to do with its predecessor). And all the ones with Boris Karloff are a revelation of the late actor's incredible talent. What a fine actor, and what an amazing voice he had!

In the documentary, Man in the Shadows, a very informative film about Lewton, how he worked, his life inside and outside the studios, Scorsese tells us that Lewton originally had reservations when he was asked to make a film with Karloff, because the legendary producer wasn't going to make a horror movie with an actor lumbering around in heavy make-up. But Lewton soon discovered that Karloff had real acting chops, and so did I after viewing Bedlam, Isle of the Dead and The Body Snatcher. In The Body Snatcher he manages to disgust us with his character and at the same time also make us sympathise with him. In Bedlam, he is both creepy and despicable.

The I Walked With a Zombie/The Body Snatcher disc was defective, but Amazon was prompt to give me a 25% refund so that I could purchase a replacement disc separately from the box set. Kudos to the fine service, Amazon!

Coen Brothers Collection (Blood Simple/Fargo/Miller's Crossing/Raising Arizona) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ William H. Macy
Price: $19.99
51 used & new from $17.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Blu-rays though no-frills, October 13, 2012
Gotta admit, the title of the box set is kinda dumb - "From the minds of ...". But it's a good decision to put these four movies together. All are crime-gone-wrong movies (what the Coens are best at), although some may argue that Raising Arizona is out of place here as it's the only full-on comedy. Since Blood Simple is an early Coens film, can't expect much from the Blu-ray transfer. The rest are quite good transfers to high-def, although not top-notch reference-disc material. Raising Arizona's colours are especially vivid, since its palette fits the slapstick cartoonish action. Miller's Crossing has a stately picture quality and the classy cinematography is very much aided by the high-def, where colours are correct and shadows are strong. The obvious lack here are extras. But I believe there are not many extras on the individual releases either, so what's there to complain really.

Stargate [Blu-ray]
Stargate [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Kurt Russell
Price: $7.99
70 used & new from $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The only Emmerich movie I can stand, October 13, 2012
This review is from: Stargate [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is the only Roland Emmerich movie I can stand watching. I saw it in the cinemas when it first came out, and while the whole idea of ancient Egyptians and aliens was not new then, the movie treated it with much imagination. Seeing it again on Blu-ray, well, the colours are wonderful and the transfer is very good. the desert landscape never looked better, and because of the hi-def, you can even see the details of the floor of Ra's "throne room".

Jaws (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet)
Jaws (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet)
DVD ~ Roy Scheider
Price: $9.99
56 used & new from $6.32

4.0 out of 5 stars The shark is working great in Blu-ray, October 13, 2012
I saw Jaws when it first came out in the 70s. I was but a schoolboy, and after that day, I never stopped drawing sharks on every piece of paper I could find. It's great to see one of my most loved films restored beautifully on Blu-ray. I can finally see the patterns and the textures on Mayor Larry's jacket, the sun-beaten craggly features on Quint's face, and all the details on Bruce the shark. I wonder how the young generation today, those who grew up with only CGI, will take to Bruce and this film.