Profile for Joel Avrunin > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 124

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joel Avrunin "Electrical Engineer who loves Science, History, Economics, and Literature" RSS Feed (Baltimore, MD)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Solid Copper Moscow Mule Siggió Mug - Set of 4 Mugs - 16 Oz Capacity - 100% Pure Copper Barware - Novelty Copper Drinkware Cups for Mules, Beer, Camping, Water - Authentic Moscow Mule Mugs with No Inner Lining or Lacquer Finish and Lifetime Guarantee
Offered by Walsh Fellowes
Price: $109.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully constructed copper vessel for your drinks, March 1, 2015
I received a single mug for free to review, not a set of 4, so I can't comment on the packaging of all 4 mugs. But the mug I received is nicely constructed, with a solid weight that makes drinking out of it fun and enjoyable. I mostly drink water at meals (nothing too exciting), but the feel of the conductive copper gives the entire cup a nice cooling effect that makes even water more enjoyable to drink. The handle itself appears to be made of brass that is welded to the cup (no screw heads visible). I made some half-hearted attempts to snap off the handle and found it was welded very well - it does not appear it should come off with regular use. The cups are not lined or lacquered, so you are drinking right out of a copper vessel. Some have said this is good for you, other bad for you. Make up your own mind, but for the purposes of the review, I'll say these are well constructed copper vessels with gleaming smooth finishes that will look nice in your barroom.

Crayola Marker Airbrush Set, (04-8727)
Crayola Marker Airbrush Set, (04-8727)
Offered by earlybirdstart
Price: $17.25
85 used & new from $3.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs hand pumping, but at a low cost it's a fun afternoon toy, March 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fun toy that my kids enjoyed using to make neat decorations on t-shirts and artwork on posters. Essentially it is an air pump that shoots manually compressed air over a marker, spraying the ink onto the page. As you might guess, this tends to use up your markers a bit faster than normal coloring alone! Either way, my kids said it was fun and made neat designs. They said it would be "better" if the device was battery operated because pumping got a bit tedious, but at the current price of less than $20, it seems Crayola might have this priced right as a toy or accessory art device. If your kid loves air brushing, you'll likely get them something a bit better. But for the occasional neat effect, they enjoyed it.

The Rival Queens: Catherine de' Medici, Her Daughter Marguerite de Valois, and the Betrayal that Ignited a Kingdom
by Nancy Goldstone
Price: $21.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating journey into the deadly world of royalty and religious battles in medieval Europe, February 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a remarkable story from history that I have heard about a little, but never read an entire book on the subject. It may sound dry by the title, but the intrigue and betrayal that were perpetrated by royalty make this book a thrilling read from start to finish. Another reviewer observed that fact really can be stranger than fiction, and sure enough, the story of these two queens is no exception. Catherine forces Marguerite to marry her Huguenot cousin just so that she could get the Huguenots into one location for a mass slaughter. The unspeakable horror of the actions of these royals comes to life in Goldstone's writing. The book is well researched, detailed, and alive with rich narrative, with a plot that moves along so quickly you'll forget that you're reading true medieval history. An excellent work and one that is highly recommended.

PolarPro PowerPole-Battery Integrated GoPro Extension Pole
PolarPro PowerPole-Battery Integrated GoPro Extension Pole
Offered by CLIQnGO
Price: $99.99
8 used & new from $76.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome selfie stick that works with my Garmin Virb (with adapter), but note it is quite heavy, February 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a cool solution for long term video recording when you need some elevation added to your camera. It's a "selfie-stick", but unlike many others, it has a built-in battery in the handle to enable you to charge your GoPro or other USB powered camera for hours of video fun. For my use, I own a Garmin Virb along with a Virb-to-GoPro adapter, so I mounted my Virb on it and got some excellent video from it. As you can see in my images, the Virb attaches just fine as long as you buy the Garmin GoPro adapter.

I enjoyed the mount for fixed recording, but my biggest issue is that it is heavy, and by heavy I mean significantly heavier than my other self-sticks. I have sticks I use for recording while running, but this one is just too heavy to carry normally. I will likely use it when I am going to an event and want the ability to hoist my camera above the crowd, but I can't picture myself using it during any sort of sports where I am the participant.

Overall it's a well built stick for your GoPro that works well with my Virb, but be aware of the significant weight.
Comment Comment | Permalink

TaoTronics Car HD Dashboard Camera, Low Light Vehicle Accident Recorder, 2" Mini Screen, Wide Angle, (Includes 8GB Micro Flash Memory Card) TT-CD04
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $199.99
5 used & new from $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly simple to use and clear bright image, February 18, 2015
This is a shockingly good camera that is simple to use and produces amazing quality dashboard images. I had bought a cheaper camera in the past, and was dissatisfied both with the image quality and overall easy of use. The TaoTronics camera was ready to go right out of the box including a SanDisk 32GB memory card (never expected a name brand memory card!). I put it on my dashboard with the included suction mount, plugged it in, and as soon as I started my car it started recording.

The camera records in file chunks, and will overwrite old files as new ones get recorded. This is a nice feature as it makes finding your file much easier since the files are not huge. The camera is small enough to pull off of my windshield and hide, even with the mount attached. The cable is a little unwieldy, but I'm not sure how they would fix that.

Incidentally, I don't speed (seriously) and drive very carefully. I use this camera so I have a record if somebody else is reckless on the road. It gives me some piece of mind, and the video is good enough that you could use it to record a nice car trip if you go somewhere beautiful.

Note: I received a free sample for the purposes of review.

Carlyle 12color Loom Rubber Bands Complete Collection Organizer Storage Kit - Over 2400 Loom Rubber Bands + S Clips +Hook+charms with a Convenient Storage Organizer Case
Offered by Carlyle123
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A great value to get started with rubber band looms and a ton of bands, February 18, 2015
This is an amazing collection of rainbow-loom style rubber bands, multiple tools, and a loom itself. Bear in mind, this is not the "name brand" Rainbow Loom, so it is not quite as high quality as the original (which I own), but it is also incredibly less expensive. The plastic on the loom itself is a little thinner and not quite as smooth. But for the price you get a nice start on your looming, including hundreds of bands in different colors, the tools you need, the small plastic "S" clips, and even an assortment of adorable little rubber charms to put on the bracelets. My kids were ecstatic to open the box and see how much was inside.

The box does have dividers for organization, but they weren't the highest quality - they do slide around a bit. But I have paid this much just for 2-3 bags of loops, and here you are getting just a ton more for a great price. So 4 stars as it isn't stellar quality, but also isn't a high price. It is worth it just for the bands you get.

Note: I received a free sample for the purposes of review

TP-LINK TL-WA860RE New Version N300 Universal Wireless Range Extender With Power Outlet Passthrough, Wall Plug, Plug&Play, Ethernet Port, Smart Signal Indicator Light
Price: Click here to see our price
9 used & new from $49.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome device that lets me bend my internet connection around a stone wall, February 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had great success with TP-Link products in the past, and this one is no exception. My home is not particularly large, but it is an older stone house that has an extension on the back. The extension is beyond the stone wall, so getting WiFi back there is always a bit tricky. What I did was place this device in the extension but close to a doorway that has a line-of-sight to my WiFi router. In effect, I made a periscope. Now the second floor which was always blocked by a stone wall gets the signal from the TP-LINK range extender which has a better line of site to the main router. Of course, like any extender, it will lower your data rates slightly as it must essentially split the channel, but it works well enough for me to get NetFlix in my bedroom, so I'm happy.

As an added bonus, it was not only easy to setup, but it has an outlet pass-through, and a jack for plugging in a computer that might not have a WiFi card. I already added a TP-Link wireless card to my PC, but if I didn't have that in there, this would have been a welcome feature and quite a cost savings.

Definitely recommended both as an extender and wifi bridge.

Avery Two-Side Printable Clean Edge Business Cards for Inkjet Printers, Matte, Ivory, Pack of 200 (08876)
Price: $9.99
25 used & new from $4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Continues excellent Avery history of quality paper products, February 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are excellent business cards that I have been easily able to print on using both my Canon MX922 ink jet printer and my old model Canon as well. They break away cleanly and look quite professional. Highly recommended!

Romantic Outlaws: The Extraordinary Lives of Mary Wollstonecraft and Her Daughter Mary Shelley
by Charlotte Gordon
Price: $21.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling narrative that weaves together two women that lived together not in time but rather in ideas, February 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book tackles a difficult task - telling the story of two remarkable woman whose lives didn't overlap in time, yet overlapped in theme and ideas. To tell the story, the author employs a double-biography format, jumping from the life of Mary Shelley back to the life of her mother, Mary Wollstonecraft. Hearing the description, you might think the narrative could be muddled or confusing, but the author manages too tell two compelling and fascinating stories simultaneously. The dual-story format connects their lives in ways that I'm sure Shelley must have felt during her own life, but is hardly ever expressed in her biographies.

If you have an interest in early iconoclastic women or Victorian England, this is an excellent study of two pivotal women and the lives they led. Highly recommended!

#1 Professional Nail Clipper/Cutter Set For Perfect Fingernails & Toenails - Premium Quality, Stainless Steel, Large & Small Nail Clippers For Men, Women, Baby, Children & Seniors - Best Value Pack of 2
Offered by D & M Innovation
Price: $34.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toenail clippers that are nice for my family and for myself (as a runner, these are critical!), February 11, 2015
This is an excellent set of nail clippers that far outperforms similar clippers I have purchased at the drugstore. I have 4 kids ranging in ages and these were perfect for their small fingers. I also very carefully trim my own toenails as a runner - I have to keep the cuts straight and careful so I don't get ingrown nails or splits that could impact my ability to race. These clippers make a nice clean cut, and the slots in the handle make it easy to not slip. I was a bit questioning by the packaging, but these are a great product and highly recommended.

Note: I received a free sample for the purposes of review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20