Profile for Joel Avrunin > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 162

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joel Avrunin "Electrical Engineer who loves Science, History, Economics, and Literature" RSS Feed (Baltimore, MD)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dickies Men's Performance Lightweight 11 Inch Plaid Flex Short, Charcoal/Black Plaid, 32
Price: $28.86
9 used & new from $27.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully comfortable technical fabric shorts that are durable, comfortable, and fun - they do run large, July 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These shorts are crazy comfortable. I've been lounging around in them all day after opening my box from Amazon. The outer material is a synthetic performance-fabric that has a bit of texture and feels very durable, but is comfortable to wear. The inner waist-band has a softer technical fabric which is similar to my technical t-shirts, so it can wick away moisture and not stay wet like cotton or other fabrics. The pockets are find for a wallet, cell phone, keys, or just a hand. There are also 2 rear pockets, one with a button for closure. There is yet another pocket on the right thigh as well.

My waist is actually a size 33 which is what I would wear in most slacks and chinos. However, these are a "relaxed" fit, and I found that the 32 was perfect (has a bit of room, but I wouldn't go smaller). If anything, I'd recommend you size down in these shorts as I did. I don't need a belt or anything - they fit just fine as-is, but there are belt loops if you need.

For everyday comfort, running errands or going around town, these are perfect shorts. I love the pattern, the fit, and the comfort. Highly recommended!

Giro Hoxton SF Gloves Black/Heather, M - Men's
Giro Hoxton SF Gloves Black/Heather, M - Men's
Offered by OutdoorEquipped
Price: $31.32
7 used & new from $26.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly comfortable with no uncomfortable gel blocks to make my hands numb, but concerned about longevity, July 13, 2015
I have been cycling for about a year. I ride between 50 and 100 miles a week, but as my rides have gotten longer, I've found I'm not liking to Pearl Izumi Elite Gel Gloves that I bought when I first started riding. I guess I was about 30 miles into my last ride when my left hand went numb. I realized that the little "gel" pocket was pushing into a nerve on my hand and it was painful every time I grabbed the hoods of my bike. It's like the padding is in just the wrong spot. Spurred by that issue, I decided to try out a glove with perhaps a bit less "gel" type padding, but with an overall comfortable palm.

These Giro Hoxton are just awesome, and I could feel it from the moment I put them on. My hand measures about 8" around (the palm, measured inside the thumb), so I got the Medium. The gloves themselves have a wonderful feel - extremely soft and comfortable, even when I ride in 95 degree Baltimore summer heat. The palms have small ventilation holes, and the padding is generous flat double-stitched overlay, rather than stick-out gel blocks. As a result, nothing pushes into my palm.

The gloves come off easily with 2 convenient loops on the fingers, but fit comfortably and don't slide during riding. The actual wool used is minimal - just enough to give them a nice feel. The palm is 94% polyester and 6% spandex. The top is 87% acryl, 9% wool, and 4% PU. I've finally found gloves that are comfortable for my longest rides, cushioning my hands, absorbing sweat, but not making my hands numb.

So why 4 stars? After just 2 rides, there is some fraying on the ends of the finger tips. It seems they should have finished them a bit better because it is WAY too soon to see the fraying start. I'm afraid these gloves might not last more than a few months, whereas my Pearl Izumi gloves lasted a year before i saw stitching start to come out.

Otherwise, awesome and recommended.

DownIT Skull Shot Glass, Thick Base, 1.5oz, Double Wall, Clear Glass - NOT Doomed Crystal Skull Shotglass - Great for Gifts, Parties and Display Collection for shot glasses
Offered by DownIT
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool looking shot glass - a bit lighter than I anticipated but still quite neat, July 9, 2015
This shot glass is exactly what it looks like - a large shot glass with a skull inside of it. I was not quite prepared for how big this shot glass would be - the top lip is 2.5" in diameter. Comparing it to a more conventional size shotglass (which was about 1.8" diameter), you can see this one is big. The skull is actually blown glass inside of the glass, leaving an air-gap which I suspect would be nice to insulate chilled spirits. The glass is surprisingly light - for some reason I expected a heavy chunk of glass, but the blown glass style means it has a pretty lightweight feel. It does look cool however and accomplishes its task, so if you want a neat conversation piece at the bar, I can definitely recommend it.

Note: I received a free sample for the purposes of review.

Fancydeli Ladies Necklace Chain with Swarovski Elements Crystals Pendant Gift for Women Girlfriend Lover
Price: $22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful necklace and high quality chain - stone a bit lighter in color than pictured, July 9, 2015
This is a beautiful pendant and chain that comes in a nice gift box for presenting to a special someone. The chain is a high quality chain with a good clasp and a nice delicate feel. The pendant itself has glimmering imitation diamonds surrounding a blue gemstone. My only disappointment in the necklace is that the blue is not quite as deep a blue as in the picture. It is still quite nice, and in fact might be even better since it is a paler blue, but it was a bit of a surprise to open the box and see the color. I'd say it is more of a light teal than what is pictured online, but it is still quite nice and recommended.

Note: I received a free sample for the purposes of review.

Fancydeli® Women Heart Pendant Necklace with Swarovski Elements Crystal Fashion Jewelry for Women Ladies Girls Girlfriend Violett
Price: $26.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice necklace and high quality chain - stone significantly lighter in color than pictured, July 9, 2015
This is a nice pendant and chain that comes in a nice gift box for presenting to a special someone. The chain is a high quality chain with a good clasp and a nice delicate feel. The pendant itself is a heart with glimmering imitation diamonds on one side and a silver finish on the other. I did not like this style quite as much as others by the same jewelry manufacturer. The non-diamond side is a bit too glossy of a finish that doesn't really match the piece. The heart shaped gemstone is less of a deep purple as pictured and more of a very pale pink. I had another piece by the same manufacturer where the lighter gem wasn't an issue, but here I felt that the passionate deep-purple/pink look was diluted to a really pale pink that has a very different impact. Overall I was a bit less satisfied with the color I received, hence the 3 star rating.

Note: I received a free sample for the purposes of review.

Fancydeli Ladies Earrings with Crystal Gift for Women Girlfriend Fashion Jewelry White
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful diamond-look to these earrings - high quality and comfortable, July 9, 2015
These are beautiful earrings that are sure to make someone really happy. They are little imitation diamond studs that have diamond-encrusted hearts hanging from them. The studs are beautiful without being large and tacky, and the hearts themselves have a nice glimmer and shine. Often lower cost jewelry is also low quality in terms of the mounts, but the posts are solid, don't bend easily, and have backings that hold them on nicely. The entire earring is a little larger than a normal hoop, but not so large as to be uncomfortable (about 1.25" tall). They are very cute and recommended.

Beauty Plus Men's Surf Beach Shorts Swim Trunks Boardshorts
Beauty Plus Men's Surf Beach Shorts Swim Trunks Boardshorts
Offered by Beauty plus
Price: $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable shorts with a great looking printed image, July 9, 2015
These are really comfortable and styling looking board shorts. I wear a medium in just about everything (cycling shorts, swim trunks, etc), and these fit true to size. I do like a snug fit however, so if you're looking for more room as these are board shorts, you may size up. For me they were perfect. The fly is a convenient velcro which is very snug, and the waist cinches down with a small string. The string is not a full draw-string around the whole waist - it just closes the front of the shorts.

The fabric is extremely comfortable - a cotton/spandex blend that doesn't feel like a diaper or a bathing suit when dry - you can spend the afternoon in these, play volleyball, etc, and be quite comfortable. There is no inner liner (as is expected with most board shorts like these), The color is deep and the images are sharp. I haven't seen how they hold up to repeated washings, but they are comfortable shorts and highly recommended.

Note: I received a free sample for the purposes of review.

DealPeak 2.1L Wolfbase Bike Bicycle Frame Front Tube Mount Holder Waterproof Phone Bag with Storage Bag for iPhone 6 Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 S2,Galaxy Note 2,HTC One M7 M8, Google Nexus 4 5, LG G2, Sony Xperia Z1 Z2 Compatible for Smart Phones up to 5.5 Inch (Pattern 2)
Offered by dealpeak
Price: $13.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice case for quickly mounting on a bike, but concern over durability of straps, July 9, 2015
This is a nice little case if you need something to put on a bike quickly to hold your cell phone, keys, and assorted other small items that you might want to have with you. The bottom of the case is a stiffened nylon that has a moulded indent to go over your top-tube. It secures with 2 velcro straps on the bottom and then a third that goes around the head tube (that third strap prevents it from spinning upside-down). The case has a convenient spot for your cell phone which also detaches via velcro so you can remove the phone without removing the whole case.

I've done a few test rides - the case isn't so comfortable to keep ride on the tube, but it's a good spot if you don't want to install a larger bag on your bike and need a way to quickly tote a cell phone. My primary concern is the straps - they are actually comprised of two straps sewn together - one with the hook side of the velcro and the other with the loop. I have tons of bike accessories that use velcro and I've never seen one where the strap is 2 straps sewn together. This looks like it cold be an easy failure point for the whole system.

So overall it's a nice case, but 3 stars because I am very concerned over durability now that I see the straps are two separate pieces sewn together.

The Devil in Jerusalem: A Novel
The Devil in Jerusalem: A Novel
by Naomi Ragen
Price: $12.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart pounding tension and disturbing but real narrative - this is one of Ragen's finest works, July 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This compelling narrative by Naomi Ragen is certainly different than many of her previous works. Fans of her writing should be aware that this book is more raw and violent than many of her other books. This is not a denigration of her book, but merely a warning that those who have experienced abuse may find this book difficult to read. The story is loosely based on the real-life case of Elior Chen, a self-proclaimed "rabbi" who led a cult where he raped and abused children in Israel. What follows is a rough plot outline. As the plot is told as a time-shifting mystery, this is a bit of a spoiler, but not much.

Both the mother and her husband would be known as ba'alei teshuvah, or newly observant Jews who came from unobservant backgrounds. Unfortunately, neither of them has a real education, and when they decide to become religious, they become Israeli Haredi (specifically Breslov Chassidim), and do not pursue any further education. Success in the Israeli Haredi community evades them because the husband is unable to function in the society. They are booted from the absorption center, can't function as farmers in a moshav, and end up on the fringes of society. All the while, they are having more kids than they can handle. When the wife inherits a large sum of money, it sets the stage for disaster as it attracts the attention of a charismatic cult leader who desires both their wealth and the beautiful wife. Her perpetually failed husband becomes an object of pity as the wife devolves further and further. As the book description states, this culminates in the brutal beating of two children which brings in police attention.

The protagonist of the book is the Orthodox Jewish female detective, Bina. Bina is married with two kids and trying to decide if she wants to have a third child, but is tortured by the world that she sees through her job. While she finds the case heartbreaking, she knows she is the only person who can get through to the brain-washed wife to extract a confession against the cult leader.

The book itself is terrifying, told in the style of a murder mystery, rotating from the couple meeting as teenagers in a Jewish summer camp to the court case where they are uncovering the truth as to what happened to this little boy. Few books have kept me as engaged with a heart pounding narrative that I could not put down. The book is disturbing and real, and I desperately wanted to find out more.

Ragen's writing style is phenomenal and this is probably the best of her books that have read, with the caveat being that this is likely the most disturbing overall. 5 stars

[Qualcomm Certified] Tronsmart Quick Charge 2.0 54W 4 Port USB Car Charger for Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge,Note 4,Note Edge,Sony Xperia Z3,Z4,Nexus 6,LG G4,G Flex2,HTC M9,M8,Asus Zenfone 2,Transformer T100 (Included an 3.3ft 20AWG Micro USB Cable)
Offered by GeekBuying
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $13.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Great car charger that works well - no LED light which can be good or bad depending on what you want, July 8, 2015
This is a great car USB charger that works well and has handled just about every device I have plugged into it from my iPad 3 to my iPhone 5S. I've also charged my WiFi hotspot and my bluetooth headset from it. The charger has a uni-body design and looks like it would be pretty rugged.

It does not have an LED indicator light, a bit of an issue for me because i like having an indicator to know the port has power. It's also a little larger than some other chargers, so if your cigarette lighter is recessed, you may have some space issues.

Other than that, it's a great charger and recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20