Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale
Profile for Susan > Reviews

Browse

Susan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 84
Helpful Votes: 1961

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Susan RSS Feed (North by Northwest USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Vilac Melusine's Baby Shape and Color Recognition Toy Tin, Large
Vilac Melusine's Baby Shape and Color Recognition Toy Tin, Large
Price: $19.60
2 used & new from $19.60

1.0 out of 5 stars Ordered it 3 times- all 3 times I received damaged product!, December 31, 2015
It's a cute paint tin and I want one. I ordered this paint tin before Christmas. The first one was dented, scratched, and a few of the paint discs had come loose from the tray. Amazon sent me another. The 2nd was also dented, worse than the first, and paint discs were again loose. I tried a 3rd time, and Amazon even emailed me and said that the new one they were sending WOULD NOT be damaged, but it was- way worse than the first 2- dirty fingerprints were on it too; it was like someone purposely bent it! So, on Amazon it says "more on the way"...in a few weeks I'll try and order another. Maybe the new shipment won't be damaged tins. I really want one of these. I love Vilac toys and products. I'll post later to update if Amazon is able to send me a nice, undamaged paint tin!

Breakthrough Bible, New edition-hardcover
Breakthrough Bible, New edition-hardcover
by Brian Singer-Towns
Price: $33.95
17 used & new from $16.78

2.0 out of 5 stars I find this a very poor Bible to give to young people or anyone, November 20, 2015
My husband and I were looking for a Catholic Bible and in our search, we came across this one. Look at the photo of a sample page in Genesis, where the sidebar tells us that "Bible scholars" say God did NOT create the world in six literal days, God did NOT take a rib from Adam to form Eve, etc. Who wrote this? I certainly DO believe the world was created in 6 literal days, God did form Eve from Adam's rib, Adam did name all the animals, etc.

I find this a very poor Bible to give to young people or anyone. Would never give it to someone seeking God's TRUTH.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2016 7:39 PM PST

Djeco / Fishing Tropic Magnetic Fishing Game
Djeco / Fishing Tropic Magnetic Fishing Game
Offered by Avalanche Brands
Price: $23.89
71 used & new from $20.88

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a beautiful and well made fishing game by Djeco, August 27, 2015
This is a beautiful and well made fishing game by Djeco. The fish are very colorful and the edges are sanded smooth. It's very visually pleasing. The box is a very pretty "ocean" for these fish. What child doesn't love playing with magnetism? And the magnets on the fish hooks are very strong and snap up the fish very well. I can highly recommend this toy for children! See my attached photo for a closer look!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Pete the Cat Backpack Pull: 6.5
Pete the Cat Backpack Pull: 6.5
by Eric Litwin
Edition: Rag Book
Price: $8.00
25 used & new from $4.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fun little accessory for children and adults of any age, January 15, 2015
Happened to see this little Pete the Cat at our local bookstore. Bought it for my 16 year old son as a little surprise, and he loves it! He has it hanging on his messenger bag. Very fun little accessory for children and adults of any age, even if like us, you've never read a Pete the Cat book. He's blue, he's groovy, he's a cat- can't go wrong!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Marshall Field's Cookbook Classic Recipes and Fresh Takes from the Field's Culinary Council
by Stephen Siegelman
66 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars It could have been so much better..., January 1, 2015
I think this cookbook could have been so much better. It's true like others have said, that nearly half of the book is called "Fresh Takes" where modern chefs share their recipes supposedly based on original Field's restaurant offerings. I could have easily done without this part of the cookbook.

Three stars means the reviewer thinks the book is "okay". And that's my true feelings, it's "okay". While I love the bit of history and few vintage photos in the beginning of book, I'm disappointed because it could have been WAY more. Why not show photos of the original menus through the years? I would have loved that. Why not have chapters specifically about each Field's restaurant, and also decade divisions in each chapter (it's interesting to see how food changes over the years). Also, there had to be way more food offerings in the Field's restaurants than the recipes in this book. I would have liked to try recipes from the original Walnut Room menu, then from the 20s, 30s, 40s, etc. etc. More photos, more stories of the items on the menu, more customer reminisces of eating in the Field's restaurants, etc. would have improved this book greatly.

It's a pretty book and there are some good recipes in here, but I hope someone will write a more in depth cookbook, showing us more old photos of the restaurants and even the kitchens, photos of old menus, etc.

Victorinox 2-1/2-Inch by 2-1/2-Inch Mini Turner Head, White Poly Handle
Victorinox 2-1/2-Inch by 2-1/2-Inch Mini Turner Head, White Poly Handle
Price: $12.40
4 used & new from $12.40

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Spatula Made In the USA!!!, September 13, 2014
This is an amazing little spatula. Sometimes, you just need a short-handled spatula for cooking, and this works really well. The edge is nice- strong, thin, and sharp to cleanly get under your food, whether it's flipping a hamburger or removing cookies from the cookie sheet. The blade isn't too big or too small. I love this for frying my meatballs- turns them so easily and cleanly; no more stuck bits on the bottom of the pan. I've had this turner for several months- it's very sturdy yet has a bit of "spring" to it too. Washes cleanly in the dishwasher with no problem. I've had no trouble with it at all- it's perfect! Another plus is that it's MADE IN THE USA!!! I'm always trying to buy USA made when I can. If you need a spatula like this for cooking/frying or cutting and serving a cake or brownies, removing cookies from the cookie sheet, etc. buy this one and support USA industry. It's high quality and you'll be pleased!

Bird's Custard Powder 300g
Bird's Custard Powder 300g
Offered by SimplyBeautiful
Price: $6.19
15 used & new from $5.43

5.0 out of 5 stars If you miss Jello custard, try Bird's- it's DELICIOUS!!!, August 24, 2014
This review is from: Bird's Custard Powder 300g (Misc.)
I discovered Bird's Custard Powder at my local grocery. Jello discontinued making their custard mix and so the store began stocking this in its place. I'm so glad we can buy this here in America. The first reason I'm so greatly pleased is that it's ALL NATURAL, unlike the Jello brand of custard mix. Ingredients here are simple: Cornflower, salt, Annatto for color, and flavoring. (I'm assuming the flavor is natural as it doesn't say it's artificial). Also, I'm greatly pleased because it is a good flavor! And I've discovered WARM custard is delicious!! The way I make it is this way: 2 cups milk, 4 Tablespoons custard powder and 4 Tablespoons sugar. Cook according to the directions on the cannister. I use a whisk to contantly stir it, and it never scorches. When I remove it from the heat, I add 1/4 t. vanilla. I pour it into 4 custard cups. I usually eat one warm because it's so yummy! Nice cold with nutmeg sprinkled on top. This is vegetarian. I'm going to try it next with almond milk. If it works, then it would be nice for vegans too. If you are missing Jello custard, DO give Bird's a try. I like it so much, that even if Jello brought back their custard, I would stick with Bird's!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this belt!, June 15, 2014
He's had these belts for a few years now- one with green studs and one with purple studs and now this one. He finds the studs stay on quite well, and for the price of the belt, it lasted a good long while (over a year with daily wear). Shipping was fast and item had no defects problems.

Diet Cults: The Surprising Fallacy at the Core of Nutrition Fads and a Guide to Healthy Eating for the Rest of US
by Matt Fitzgerald
Price: $18.71
65 used & new from $4.06

4.0 out of 5 stars A book people will either love or hate..., June 15, 2014
Food and diet is a very touchy subject these days. Also we live in a society that loves labels. We live in a time where it's kind of a badge of honor to have some condition that requires you to be on some special diet. No longer can you have people over for a meal without first asking what they are allergic or sensitive to or choose not to eat. Long ago it was so very rare to come across people with any sort of special needs diet. But not anymore.

Why is that? Well, there are no easy answers of course. I am not a person who's vegan, raw, gluten free, etc. etc. but I try to understand what's behind those who are. This book is interesting to me in that the author brings out how diets do go through "cult" status for a time. For example, he brought out how a few decades ago, yeast was the big culprit to poor health. That fizzled out. Nowadays it's like half the American population is gluten intolerant. He points out that while yes, there are people who are actually gluten intolerant, there are many people eating this way just because it's a fad and they really don't need to. Gluten is looked on as BAD. The author states it's not gluten itself that's the problem, but the "trigger" that causes the body to not be able to tolerate/digest it is the problem.

He mentioned how as recently as the 1960s the average American got 20 to 30 percent of his daily calories from bread; people were ingesting way more gluten back then than now. I found that interesting that bread was such a major part of the diet in the recent past. He said that some people think that genetic modification of wheat, and it's resulting higher gluten content is the cause of the rise of gluten intolerance. But he then asks why are all autoimmune diseases generally on the rise? (Not all autoimmune diseases are related to gluten).

The author gives his opinion that perhaps it is stress that is a major trigger to so many of the health issues plaguing our society today. I so liked this statement in the book:

"We are seeing more and more evidence that humans are not psychologically equipped to handle the world we're creating, and it's making us sick...The urbanization of the world is just one of the many ways in which modern life is increasingly testing our psychological limits and damaging our health. Others include the disappearance of community and the deepening of social isolation." (pg. 213)

I believe this to be right on- in my lifetime (I'm in my early 50s) I've seen an almost total 180 in social activities...back in the early 80s I could go drop in on my neighbors and the children would play together and we moms would talk. Life was so much calmer. People ate regular food and it was no big deal. Nowadays, one has to call in advance to set up an appointment to get together with friends. Everyone's busy, busy, busy. Stress is surrounding us in our own daily life as people are called to do more work because an employer can't afford enough workers. We suffer stress and anxiety as we hear the national and world news. I do believe stress is probably a HUGE trigger to what makes people intolerant of certain foods or substances in foods.

I also agree with the author's assessment that while we should food that is as pure and as close to nature as possible, that even if we do that, we may still have health issues. We live in a polluted world. The air we breathe when we step out the door if full of chemicals from exhaust fumes, chemical sprays on agriculture fields, sprays your neighbor puts on his grass and trees. Our water has contaminants. Our homes off gas formaldahyde and other toxins from the chemicals in the carpets, wall board, etc. We have to admit that it's much more than food alone that is making us sick, much more than food alone that triggers our bodies not to handle certain foods.

I don't know the author at all, and I'm no expert. But I feel the author gives a balanced presentation for people to consider. Let's not just rush from one diet craze to another. Sure, we must do our best to figure out what's causing us or our loved one to feel sick, but also do so using common sense and moderation. I remember my grandmother often saying moderation was the best policy. Be moderate in your eating and drinking. It's okay to have coffee, sugar, meat, cooked foods, potatoes, dairy, etc. in moderation. We children grew up healthy under my grandmother's moderate view of cooking- we were rarely sick.

I also agree with the author that there is no one "right" way to eat that fits everyone. Each person must work that out for himself. I also agree that a lot of diets/ways of eating are hyped because there's a lot of money to be made- thousands of easily gullible people wanting a quick fix and will buy anything at any cost to lose weight, look good, feel better. How many of the crazy supplements sold really help that much across the whole board of the American population? Also, I think it feeds something in human nature to boast that you are following some diet, some way of eating...that you somehow are above the average person to be in the know, to be cool about food and diet and health.

I liked this book and his balanced approach in presentation of fad diets and food issues. I'm not saying he's 100% right on; he doesn't claim to have all the answers. But he makes sense. Read the book and see how you feel about what he says. Take from it what will help you toward better health and leave the rest.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2014 7:45 PM PDT

ECO-BAGS PRODUCTS Lunch Bag 7x10.5 Organic Cotton
ECO-BAGS PRODUCTS Lunch Bag 7x10.5 Organic Cotton
Offered by CG Trade
Price: $8.89
4 used & new from $8.61

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a nice lunch bag!, April 5, 2014
My husband needed something larger and more substantial than a typical brown paper bag for his daily lunches. So I ordered 2 of these bags. I was very surprised at the good quality of the bag...not flimsy at all. Also, I posted 2 photos so you can see the bag in comparison to the container I use for my husband's food. I give him a "meat and potatoes" lunch in this Pyrex dish. As you can see, it fits easily into the bag, along with a fruit of choice and a small can of soda. There was more room for cookies or whatever, and a full can could have fit if put in sideways. My husband is pleased because it's simple and plain, and I also like it because it can be washed when it's dirty. We've not had to wash it yet, so we'll see if it shrinks as other reviewers have said. The rope/string handle is nice for hanging the bag on the doorknob- it reminds my husband to get his lunch dish from the fridge if I happen not to be at home to have it ready for him. It's a nice bag, and for the price (and it shipped free with Prime when I ordered it) I'm extremely satisfied. UPDATE 8/15/15: I was packing my husband's lunch again this morning, and thought to take a few more photos of what would fit inside. He had a sandwich cut in half, bottle of strawberry lemonade, corn chips and small jar of salsa, another small jar of fresh pineapple, and his fig bar, fork, and napkin. It all easily fit into this bag. The last photo shows this lunch packed in the bag. This bag has serviced my husband, who's not a lunch box guy, well. It's held up to many washings too (it's due for another as you can see!). I wash it on warm and dry it just for about 10 min then pull it out and let it air dry for the rest of the time. I can still highly recommend this lunch bag.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2016 9:02 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9