Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Profile for Gary Williams > Reviews

Browse

Gary Williams' Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gary Williams RSS Feed

When I Set Myself on Fire
When I Set Myself on Fire
by W. W. Singer
Price: $12.99
22 used & new from $9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly original and worth reading in any multiverse!, March 16, 2015
Early in this novel, the protagonist Jim Drewry begins to relate to us differing, alternate events. The apparent catalyst for Jim experiencing various alternative moments is a rhesus monkey named Eve. Eve has had human genes embryonically spliced to hers so the university at which Jim is an attorney can use her for Parkinson’s research. Without authority, Jim removes Eve and cares for her at his home. Eve enters into a family situation where: there is growing uncertainty about what is the present; there are serious choices to be made by Jim, his wife Grace and their son, Buck, about one or more futures; and there are emergent issues with Jim’s increasing multiple pasts. The story fuses these challenges of domestic existence, the potentiality of the spiritual world and multiple possible realities into an original narrative.

The novel, as narrated by Jim, relates what he experiences; however, right at the beginning Jim tells us that in the absence of concrete rules he creates his own logic and that he thinks differently. He later tells us that he is bipolar and inconsistent in treating his malady. He does not say that he suffers from bipolar psychosis, but he might actually have a psychosis. Jim relays to us, the reader, sometimes quite abruptly, multiple alternative events. He labels these as a type of Déjà vu experiences except that he relates them to us as distinctly separate experiences. They are not classic Déjà vu as each experience differs, often dramatically from initial reality of the storyline. Based on his previous knowledge of quantum physics and the serendipitous gift of a book, Jim concludes he is experiencing alternative realities, a multiverse.

My relationship with Jim is paradoxically concrete and ambiguous, a simultaneously rationale and emotional type of quantum mechanics. Is the author taking me on a literal journey or a figurative one? Is Jim’s journey one of spiritual transformation, a manifestation of psychosis, a quantum leap or something other? During Jim’s journey, we seek to find an objective reality we can hold to so we can determine what is, what isn’t and what might be. Over the course of reading, I think I developed a despairing hope for Jim, a hope I believe he had, that there might be a better universe. I carried that hope right up to the story’s most dramatic spiritual event.

Alternatively, perhaps I’m just Schrödinger's cat and Mr. Singer has proposed a quantum physics thought experiment and accomplished it through his novel with me, the reader, inside the box. Which is a brilliant conceit and well worth the experience! For further reading, I recommend "Parallel Universes", by Fred Alan Wolf. Based on Jim’s description, it is much easier to follow then Mr. Singer’s fictitious "Reflections from the Multiverse" by Anthony Brock.

Ivation Long Range Wireless Thermometer - Dual Probe - Remote BBQ, Smoker, Grill, Oven, Meat Thermometer - Monitors Food From Up To 300 Feet Away
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $59.99
6 used & new from $50.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, April 1, 2014
Use it with my Green Egg and really makes a difference in temp management. The dual temp probes is a great approach.

The America Diet - Eat Your Young
The America Diet - Eat Your Young
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for everyone, March 12, 2014
America as we knew it is doomed. We have met the enemy and they are we. This book lays out the absolute truth. All factual and easily verified. Social Security, Medicaid and all the benefits used today and promised for tomorrow cannot be sustained. The numbers are clear. The newer generations better wake up to the swindle and financial enslavement that we, their elders, continue to promote and protect.

Wald Afire (The Wald Chronicles)
Wald Afire (The Wald Chronicles)
by Jason Born
Price: $9.99
5 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, October 23, 2013
After completing the Wald, I immediately bought the Wald Afire. I'm not a fan of the title, but the second book of this Wald series was even better than the Wald. I particularly enjoyed learning more about what were otherwise obscure historical Romans for me such as Gaius, Lollius, Varus (before Teutoburg), etc. I am looking forward to the next book and hearing Augustus cry out "Quintili Vare, legiones redde!"

The Wald (The Wald Chronicles) (Volume 1)
The Wald (The Wald Chronicles) (Volume 1)
by Jason Born
Price: $8.99
10 used & new from $5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, October 23, 2013
The Wald is an enjoyable read, well written and with successfully developed characters. The plot keeps you turning the page. I even picked up some new historical information along the way which is always a huge plus for lovers of historical fiction such as myself. When I finished the Wald, I immediately bought the next book.

The Great Pagan Army
The Great Pagan Army
Price: $4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read; ending could be improved, March 31, 2012
Though this story develops and follows more than one major character, fans of Bernard Cornwell should enjoy this historical novel. The ending could be improved as it comes across as unnecessarily truncated. I would have enjoyed a slower rather than quicker resolution of each character's story lines. I look forward to more work by this author set in similar or other historical times.