Profile for D. MCKICHAN > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 612

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. MCKICHAN RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Zoot Sports Men's Ultra 2.0 CRX Calf Sleeve, White/Graphite, 4
Zoot Sports Men's Ultra 2.0 CRX Calf Sleeve, White/Graphite, 4
Price: $9.55
8 used & new from $9.55

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 sleeves in the box, sizing is accurate, good quality, yellor pair is bright., August 22, 2014
Although the title says sleeve (singular)there are actually two sleeves in the box. Quality is decent and a cut above the C9 sleeves I got at Target. Sizing is accurate and measured around the calf. One reviewer has posted the sizes as listed on the box. His posting is accurate so I won't redo it. I am not sure why thinks these are two small though. Foot size has nothing to to with calf size, you measure around your calf to get your size. I wear a size 12 shoe, but that is irrelavent. I have a 16" calf measurement which puts me in a size 4. Size 4 fits me perfectly. They should be a little tight as they are compression sleeves. Mine feel great and I wear them for hours without issue. Length was fine for me but I am 6'3". I got the yellow pair and white pair. The yellow pair is the nice bright safety yellow.

2XU Compression Recovery Arm Sleeves, Black, X-Large
2XU Compression Recovery Arm Sleeves, Black, X-Large
Price: $44.95
9 used & new from $44.45

4.0 out of 5 stars They work well, spendy but probably the best out there., August 16, 2014
I ordered the XL pair an roughly a 15.5 inch bicep and maybe a 11.5 to 12 inch forearm. I found the forearm compression to be decent even though mine are a bit under the XL range. Bicep compression is OK an I am in the listed range there. Material quality is good. These are not under armour type material sleeves but a heavier fabric. Still spendy but probably the best out there. I have some golfers elbow from lifting and a bicep strain and these help, just don't expect a cure all.

Adams Men's 899 Compression Sliding Retail Short, Medium, Cardinal
Adams Men's 899 Compression Sliding Retail Short, Medium, Cardinal

5.0 out of 5 stars Good basic pair of sliding shorts., August 16, 2014
Fit as expected. Quality is good. No issues with the spandex or padding. Seams and sewing are good, no loose threads. Padding is enough to protect but not noticeable when wearing them. Compression effect is good as well. There is no cup pocket, but I knew that going in.

Fisher-Price Power Wheels Jeep Wrangler Ride On
Fisher-Price Power Wheels Jeep Wrangler Ride On
Offered by Price Cellar
Price: $283.43
7 used & new from $240.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good unit, good leg room for older kids, good power for them as well., August 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The unit comes well packaged the box though is big and somewhat heavy so be prepared. Set up took me just about an hour. instructions were decent other than nothing was mentioned about the front axles being shipped outside of the plastic grooves they need to go into. You need to force them in and you can are left to wonder if that is the right call as the instructions don't mention it. Also securing the back wheels to axle is best done with two people. You need to secure both nuts at the same time, and I found it difficult alone even though I have a good wingspan at 6'3".

My kids are 8 and 9. Although skinny, they are on the upper edge of this vehicle designed audience. They have friends in the neighborhood younger though so I am not worried about this thing getting a workout. Even at their age they fit in the jeep one at a time and at the 5 mph setting move around just fine. Even the 2.5 mph moves them, but they get a bit more slippage of the tire in grass. Reverse works well. They were both thrilled with it but 5-6 or so is probably the best age for this but it will get used until they are 9-10. The 5 year old neighbor boy drives it around like Mario Andretti. The product page talked about the unit being newly designed with more leg room and I think that it likely is. Still though weight becomes an issue more so then space as the kids age.

Build quality is decent. The plastic is robust an simple. I am not worried about them damaging it. Damaging things they hit with it is going to be more likely. It does seem to stop pretty much immediately though when the throttle is released. The drive train seem ok. Two electric motor hubs power the unit. No slipping or clicking of gears. The tires are plastic and not heavy grooved, I assume they are purposely designed to spin out under weight vs. stripping the gears. In wet grass or a steep incline this will occur, or at the slow setting with a heavy load. It can be driven quite well on a paved surfaced but it will be tough on the plastic tires. Only a few trips up and down our road caused noticeable scuffage. Battery life is decent, but having had previous power wheel toys before, the battery is an older tech and with out good care will be prone to failure. If you are like me and live in the north be sure to take it in for the winter and charge it from time to time.

Pure Protein Greek Yogurt Nutrition Bar, Blueberry, 6 Count
Pure Protein Greek Yogurt Nutrition Bar, Blueberry, 6 Count
Offered by Empire Depot
Price: $11.21
4 used & new from $11.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Taste great, good for a quick snack, August 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These taste great and have 20 grams of mostly whey based protein in them. True sugar content is fairly low as well. There are 5g of sugar alcohols per bar, and if you are like me, these can play havoc with your digestive track. One of these bars per day was fine for me though. I use them a work as a snack on days it is busy an I cant get a chance to grab a whole food. In that role they are perfect.

Bauerfeind VenoTrain Sport Compression Socks (Titanium, X-Large Short)
Bauerfeind VenoTrain Sport Compression Socks (Titanium, X-Large Short)
Offered by E MEDICAL SUPPLIES
Price: $69.95
6 used & new from $50.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sport compression sock, but no different from any other high end sock other than a much higher price., August 16, 2014
These are a decent compression sock, comparable to a zensah or 2xu although I think those two brands of socks might actually be superior. That being said, both of those brands are far less expensive and I shudder in saying that because those brands still run on the pricey side. If you can get these on clearance or well below msrp, they are an OK sock. At full msrp though they are incredibly overpriced. If you are looking to get these, the sizing on them is accurate and I found the "short" version to be knee high on me and I have a 34" inseam.

Adams Men's 755 Light Weight Support Short, Medium, Cardinal
Adams Men's 755 Light Weight Support Short, Medium, Cardinal
Offered by Frog Dog Deals
Price: $14.97
3 used & new from $14.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubber spandex threads are questionable and can break easily which leads to chafing., August 16, 2014
Seems decent enough out of the package, but the spandex used is questionable. I washed them once and tried to wear them. With in an hour I was chafing in the groin area. Taking them off I noticed the little rubber threads had begun to break away and were no longer weaved with in the fabric. The ends were only sticking out a few millimeters, but this is enough to cause chafing as the rubber now rubs against the skin. This was occurring several places throughout the garment. Basically in every area with a sewn seam. This was not due to the washing as I tested an area that was a seam but not one that had been subjecting to stretching when my body moved. Right away the rubber strands broke when stretched, which shouldn't happen in a garment designed to compress and stretch with body movements. I did order the proper size and they seemed to fit well and in the same manner as my other brands of shorts. I have had this happen before but usually after a few years of use. In this case it was one hour and these shorts had to go into the garbage. Very disappointed. I did order several of these in various colors as they appeared to be getting cleared out and were cheap. It was a scarlet pair that failed on me. A green pair that came the same day and was laundered with it, seems to be ok at this point and in testing the seems wasn't failing like the red pair.

Tumbl Trak Sectional Beam Suede 4-Feet Balance Beam 4-Inch Top Tapered to 8-Inch Base, 4-Feet Length x 8-Inch Width x 4-Inch Height
Price: $65.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good compromise piece of equipment where space is at a premium, get two if you need it for more advanced skills., August 11, 2014
My daughter is an 8 year old budding gymnast. We have a large mat for her to train on and one section of tumble trak beam. It isnt as nice as a full beam and lacks some of the firmness, but it is moveable, stable, and stores easily. It has also been holding up well to the use she has been giving it. The length on it is somewhat limiting as she cant do cartwheels etc, on it. I debated going to a full beam but that would just be to much for our space. I have been happy enough with our single section in the 3 months we have had it, that I just ordered a second section to make the longer beam, while still being able to move and store the pieces easily.

Zensah Tech+ Compression Socks, Black, Medium
Zensah Tech+ Compression Socks, Black, Medium
Price: $32.47
2 used & new from $32.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well made, a true performance level compression sock, August 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Me :"How did you like your socks"
My wife: " I loved them, they were awesome, they really made my legs feel better and even my foot didn't hurt like it normally does"

The above is the review in a nutshell. I wasn't offered these in my size, but they were my wife's size so she got a unexpected present. She wears a women's size 9 and the mediums fit her perfectly. Fit and feel on them are very heavy duty but she remarked that once on they were very soft and comfortable. She is a former college track athlete who still runs 10-15 miles per week with 3-5 fitness classes worked in. She has a cheap pair of Target calf sleeves I got her a few months ago but the Zensah's are in another league. As the quote above revelas, she is thrilled with the fit/feel of the Zensah's and feel they benefit her.

I have a pair of 20 dollar Vitalsox and a couple 2XU run socks in the 50 dollar range. These Zensah's are the equal of the 2XU's and look/feel like they could have come off the same loom. If you are asking what the difference in the various compression socks are I would explain it like this. Regular high quality knee high socks (like for crossfit) in the 5-15 dollar range provide protection for the leg and cosmetic appeal. There is only enough compression to hold the sock up. Think of them as the cotton tee shirt of socks. 20-30 dollar socks like the vitalsox offer mild compression similar to a Under Armour compression shirt or compression shorts. It is OK, more then a regular sock, and a good entry point but not a true performance changer. The Zensah socks are much denser than a regular sock or vitalsox. They aren't thick in the way a winter sock is, but rather very dense so that it takes a bit to get them on and once on give a very uniform and complete compression fit well beyond what an under armour type garment provides. My best comparison point might be a bench pressing shirt, although not quite that level.

Once on, a sock like the Zensah, is very comfortable and can be worn at length after a run to help recover as well. The compression doesn't lead to pressure points or foot pain. They have been selling these types of socks to aid in travel (lots of sitting) for longer than they have for athletic performance. For recovery they are great and make me feel much better. As far as for performance purposes my wife is a believer now that they help her run better, but more importantly with less pain and less pain after running. For me I notice that they help my Achilles feel less fatigued and I get less tingling in my feet when I run they I do without them. I do get more pressure and tightness in my shins (I don't have shin splints, I think the compression is maybe giving me a little bit of compartment syndrome type issues)

Overall this is a very nice performance sock. My 2XU's have lasted over a year now and I wash and dry mine (contrary to instructions which say no drying). As the Zensah's look to be pretty much identical, I think they will last for years as well. They are spendy, but there is nothing out there at a lower price point that comes close (I have tried the vitalsox, nike run socks, and champion C9 socks). If you want the best and most uniform compression, a sock like the Zensah is where to find it. Again to quote my wife "they were awesome".

Philips PureRadiance Skin Cleansing System, Blue
Philips PureRadiance Skin Cleansing System, Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, hoping the brushes will last a while before determining final value., August 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The unit itself is small and light. Very similar feel to their sonicare line of toothbrushes. It is well made, fits together well with no visible manufacturing flaws. My wife generally uses cotton rounds or 3 by 3 washable make up removing clothes to clean her face. She was excited to try this. She is using it in the morning pre-make up and at night to help remove it. She says it works very well and is a much better solution than either method she was using before. That constitutes high praise from my wife on a skin care product. No sensitivity issues for her and she said she didn't have to make any other changes to her routine.

Price is a little on the high side for the unit and as of now I couldn't easily locate replacement brushes online. I am hoping to extend their life by occasionally dishwashering them. It ships with two brushes but it looks like there are 5-6 different types you could get. If the brushes last a year or so and are fairly cheap to replace, than this is a great system. That being said, we gave up on our sonicare toothbrush after a few years as despite the fact the unit was working fine, we got tired of buying the very expensive replacement heads. I will try and return to this review and update it in a few months on how the brushe are holding up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20