Profile for R > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 81

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R RSS Feed (Maryland (21029))

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Cessna 172 Operating Checklist
Cessna 172 Operating Checklist
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars All list; no imagination, August 23, 2014
just a simple list copied from the operations manual but the price is right

Earnshaw Men's ES-8011-04 Longcase Analog Display Automatic Self Wind Black Watch
Price: $128.97

2.0 out of 5 stars Would not keep time. Lost 2 hours 1st day ..., August 21, 2014
Would not keep time. Lost 2 hours 1st day and 5 hours 2nd day. Returned for refund.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2014 3:54 PM PDT

Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo Selects)
Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo Selects)
Offered by The Best Only
Price: $39.49
76 used & new from $15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Internet Connection Feature Discontinued 5/20/2014, June 2, 2014
Animal Crossing is a wonderful game. It is great fun in stand-alone mode. However, the internet connect feature was far-and-away the greatest feature. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued.

Center Flap Credit Card Holder style - 74
Center Flap Credit Card Holder style - 74
Offered by Menswallet
Price: $4.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made but very tight, May 28, 2014
This is a quality piece. It is well made with tight seams. Unfortunately the slots are just one or two millimeters too small for my credit cards.

Flight Simulator X - Unofficial Video Game Guide & Walkthrough
Flight Simulator X - Unofficial Video Game Guide & Walkthrough

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, May 22, 2014
There simply is no FSX users' manual which covers the basics of aviation. The Prima Guide provides some rudimentary basics but it is far from sufficient. This "Walkthrough" is also helpful for beginners. These two should be sufficient for those who bought FSX as another video game. However, for anyone who might want to use FSX to learn about real aviation, I would recommend Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots: Real World Training by Van West and Lane-Cummings -- in addition to these beginners' guides.

FSX includes a rich set of optional settings. The default settings provide a fun video game and a good initial (simple) starting place for anyone interested in a taste of real-world aviation. Most notably, out-of-the-box FSX excludes cross wind which is a major real-world challenge -- like swimming in a gold fish bowl.

Most "gamers" can probably master the default FSX in a month or two, but then it is time to go deeper or move on to another simple game. Those who want to experience aviation without the training wheels should read FSX for Pilots. It includes many exercises with increasing levels of realism. For example, how to fly a straight line, square, or circular pattern with a cross wind.

JBW Women's J6289B MIA Analog Display Japanese Quartz Gold Watch
JBW Women's J6289B MIA Analog Display Japanese Quartz Gold Watch
Price: $195.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice for the low price, May 13, 2014
This large faced watch was not very expensive. It is a nice for "costume" jewelry. It is not what you might call expert crafted, but looks great from a distance.

Fitbit One Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker, Burgundy
Fitbit One Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker, Burgundy
Price: $96.45
30 used & new from $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tech Support -- I thought it had died, March 17, 2014
I stand corrected!

Here's my earlier complaint:

The Fitbit One provides some interesting functions but ours lasted just 13 months. Now it is gone totally dark. The battery is not replaceable and the electronics non-reparable: an expensive toy at $100. This may not be the end of the world. I will be surprised if this company lasts another year.
-----------------------------
Within a few hours I was contacted by Fitbit Support. They sent simple instructions to revive my ailing tracker. To my great surprise it worked. It was almost like finding $100 I thought I had lost forever. Thank you Fitbit Support.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2014 7:56 AM PDT

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, March 11, 2014
The description of this little thing say that it works with phones with up to 5" screens. In fact, this is very misleading. The 5" screen measurement is taken diagonally across the glass -- ignoring the frame around the glass. The real critical dimension is the *width* of both the glass and frame together. The seller should have told potential buyers that this little novelty only opens wide enough for a 3" basic cell phone. None of mine fit -- not even close. Furthermore, I believe it would be dangerous to mount such a tiny screen in view of the driver.

Amazon buyers should be forewarned that far too many recent offerings are being presented in a way that grossly misrepresents the true size. The photographs are clearly designed to suggest that the object is much larger than it turns out to be. I have returned several pieces of jewelry which turned out to be 50% smaller than they appeared. I have also found many examples of descriptions that omit critical dimensions. In fact, I sense a trend here.

For this reason I have become quite jaded with Amazon offerings. I have been burned too many times by photographs and descriptions that lead me to hope for something larger, only to be very disappointed when the actual tiny product arrives.

I have chosen to just trash this "Airframe", avoid the hassle of filing a claim and let Quality Photo keep my $25. "Fool me once ..." However, I must say this experience -- along with several similar disappointments -- is a turning point in my relation with Amazon. I seldom order jewelry offered on Amazon anymore because it almost always turns out to be disappointingly small -- much smaller than suggested by the pictures.

Amazon remains my go-to resource. However, I am beginning to buy less from Amazon. I continue to believe that Amazon is an exemplary vendor. However, the first principle is *trust*. Unfortunately, my trust has been steadily decaying into suspicion and skepticism.

I believe that Amazon could improve this situation. Amazon could simply encourage its third-party vendors to include photographs of offerings with a standard 1/4" quadrille background. Any vendor who followed this guideline would gain my trust. Sadly, recent experience has taught me to distrust (all) vendors who present offerings with no assurance of the actual size. There are still one or two other vendors that maintain a reputation for absolute trustworthiness. L. L. Bean comes to mind.

Amazon has always stood behind its offerings -- to a fault. However, complaining and returning merchandise is time consuming. I would much rather purchase with confidence that the actual product will be as good as or even better than it appeared. Amazon has some work to do to rebuild that confidence.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2014 6:12 AM PDT

Berndes Coquere Induction 8-Inch Open Skillet
Berndes Coquere Induction 8-Inch Open Skillet
Price: $71.50
5 used & new from $56.88

1.0 out of 5 stars Not enough Iron, March 6, 2014
This Berndes Coquere may be an excellent skillet for a gas range, but it fails to activate our induction "burner". The description says "induction", and our little test magnet sticks (loosely), but the burner doesn't recognize it. We have several other induction pans. One or two even have a smaller "footprint". The Berndes "Induction" Skillet is the only one that fails to heat up. Just another of life's little puzzles. We might have kept it but, at $70, it would have been an expensive ornament.

Home Inventory Pro 2011
Home Inventory Pro 2011
Offered by Radium Technologies Inc.
Price: $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Tedious work but good results, March 6, 2014
This review is from: Home Inventory Pro 2011 (CD-ROM)
This Home Inventory program provides several very helpful data-collection screens, an effective database, and a reporting module. It may take me a few years before I will have entered most of our major possessions -- after 25 years of marriage. The Amazon on-line record of purchases provides an excellent resource.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9