Profile for David Girod > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1121

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Girod RSS Feed (Westminster, Maryland)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Calvin Klein euphoria for Men Eau de Toilette, 1 fl. oz.
Calvin Klein euphoria for Men Eau de Toilette, 1 fl. oz.
Price: $40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Scent That's Not Overpowering, April 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like this scent. It's perfect for Spring with a nice refreshing light scent. euphoria isn't overpowering, and it's masculine without smelling like aftershave. If you've liked previous Calvin Klein colognes like Obsession and CK, you'll like this one too.

Stephen King's Thinner
Stephen King's Thinner
DVD
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Adaptation, But Not a Good Movie, April 16, 2015
Billy Halleck is a wealthy small town lawyer that is struggling with his growing weight problem. As the film opens Halleck wins his latest trial, defending a Mafia boss named Ginelli who's been accused of putting a hit out on a witness. In celebration of his latest victory, Halleck and his wife go out to dinner with the trial judge and his wife. One his way home from the dinner, Billy gets distracted while driving and mistakenly runs down an old gypsy woman who is crossing the road. Because of Billy's position in the community and his connections, the inquest is rushed and goes in his favor, so Billy will not be punished for killing the old woman. Billy isn't so quick to escape Gypsy justice though as he's cursed by the leader of the Gypsy group.

This is actually a somewhat faithful adaptation of the Bachman (King) novel, and the make-up F/X are top notch. But with that said, this isn't a very good movie. I think I lay most of it at Robert John Burke's feet for his portrayal of Billy Halleck. Burke seems to be auditioning for "Batman" here as everything he says comes out as a harsh whisper. I'm not sure if he's trying to come across like a Jack Nicholson/Jack Palance type of delivery, but it gets really grating. The supporting players are all pretty solid; Joe Mantegna, Kari Wührer & Michael Constantine, all turn in entertaining performances, but Burke drags it all down around him.

If you are a big fan of King and the film adaptations of his novels, then give this one a view. If you are looking for something scary, pick up something else.

Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War
Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War
by P W. Singer
Price: $20.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid Sci-Fi Action Story, April 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"Ghost Fleet" is a nifty little sci-fi thriller about the events leading up to, and during the next World War. In the not too distant future, China's government is now run by Directorate of business working with the military. They have the funds and the spies to infiltrate almost every major country's computer systems modern weapon systems. Russia and America are back in a Cold War type struggle, and both fear China may be making an aggressive move against them.

If you like a lot of techno-babble with your war stories, and want a story that focuses on the gadgets and the scenarios more than characters, then you will enjoy "Ghost Fleet". Singer and Cole present a pretty action packed tale that takes us from deep under the sea to space stations orbiting the Earth with their tale, and they don't shirk on the gadgets and gizmos used in launching the next World War. From drones, to space shuttles to space lasers, the author's have done their research and lay it out really well.

With that said, having just finished the novel yesterday, I am having a difficult time remembering the character's names. The focus of this novel is the action, and not necessarily the people it affects. So I guess what I'm saying is, I would recommend "Ghost Fleet" to people that want to read about the actions, but not the characters driving the action.

Remington XF8700 SmartEdge Advanced Foil Shaver, Black
Remington XF8700 SmartEdge Advanced Foil Shaver, Black
Price: $123.39
2 used & new from $123.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Razor That Gets the Job Done, April 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Thanks to my Italian heritage I have a pretty thick, and dark beard. I've tried electric razors off and on over the years, and honestly they never quite gave me a close enough shave. I love the convenience of an electric, but until the XF8700 came along, I just wasn't satisfied with the results. The XF8700 is the first electric razor I've used that gets rid of my beard completely. After running the XF8700 over my face, I look as though I've just used a blade to shave.

Not only does the XF8700 provide a nice close shave, it's extremely comfortable and easy on my face. There was no pulling or snagging, and it's very easy to clean. (The instruction booklet recommends actually shaving in the shower with this razor, but I can't bring myself to do that, I have to have a mirror). But simply pop off the shave foil and run it under a stream of water, and you're good to go.

When you first get the razor, let it charge for a full 24 hours. I let mine fully charge, and it's held the charge for over a week now, and it still shows no sign of slowing down. I like too that there is a little electric trimmer arm built right into the back of the razor. Simply flip it up, and you can touch up any of your facial hair in seconds.

This is a great razor that gets the job done comfortably.

Thinner (Signet)
Thinner (Signet)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $7.58

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best from "Bachman", April 13, 2015
This review is from: Thinner (Signet) (Kindle Edition)
This is really the only "Bachman" book that feels like an out-and-out Stephen King tale. And I don't really mean in tone, as King can get pretty dark in his own right, but "Thinner" just doesn't feel like a topic 'Bachman" would've written about. The Bachman stories are normally grounded in reality, even his stories that are set in the future, "The Running Man" and possibly "The Long Walk", both feel grounded in their reality. There are no magical or supernatural elements to any of the Bachman stories, but "Thinner" is steeped in both. I don't think it's a coincidence that not long after "Thinner" was published, King was outed as Bachman. "Thinner" reads exactly like a King novel.

Bill Halleck is a wealthy lawyer, living in a small Connecticut town with his wife and daughter. Sure, Bill has a weight problem, and may have to peer around his growing belly to see the numbers on the scale, but all-in-all, he's leading a good life, the "big fish in small pond", making all of the right friends and belonging to the right places.. One day when he takes his family to the town common to watch a band in the small park, a band of gypsies converges on the grounds. It's not long before they are hustled off by the local cops. The patchwork caravan take up residence in a farmer's field just outside of town. Bill Halleck's fortunes soon change when he's accidentally runs over one of the old gypsies as she jaywalks in town. Because of his connections and his position in town, the case is pushed through and Bill will face no legal ramifications from the accident. But the gypsies don't plan to let him off so easy.

"Thinner" is a good book, and something really different. There's no ghosts, no vampires or demons. I actually can't really think of too many other "curse" centric horror novels I've read? Bill's story is entertaining, but it could've gotten pretty stale. Luckily, just in time for the third act King introduces one of my favorite characters from any of his stories, Richie "The Hammer" Ginelli. A mob boss that gleefully takes up the fight against the gypsies on Bill's behalf. Ginelli is having so much maniacal fun, you can't help but get caught up in what the character is doing! I almost wish Halleck had brought him into the struggle at the beginning.

The best of the "Bachman" books for sure, with fully fleshed out characters and it packs one huge wallop of an ending.

ABCs of Death 2 [Blu-ray]
ABCs of Death 2 [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Martina García
Price: $17.24
29 used & new from $10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Bizarre as the First Film, But Still Lots of Fun, April 13, 2015
How do you even review a film like "ABC's of Death" or it's sequel? If you aren't familiar with these films, the basic idea is that 26 filmmakers each make a 5 minute movie centered on a single world and how it relates to a death, and then assembled in alphabetical order. Both films feature a variety of styles, storylines and presentation. From animation to outright comedy, to gore filled, to suspenseful, you're sure to find just about any and everything packed into these films.

If you liked the first film, you will probably enjoy this second entry. I will say that I actually liked the first film better, simply because so many of the segments were amazingly bizarre ("F" and "Z" spring to mind). And while there are a handful of odd segments in this film, nothing comes close to the mondo bizarre stuff seen in the first film.

These are fun movies though, but I'm not sure if I recommend a purchase? Definitely go for the rental on Prime, but I don't see re-visiting these too films too often.

DII 16-Piece Bathroom Starter Set, Includes 72 by 72-Inch Shower Curtain, 12 Shower Hooks, 1 Soap Dish, 1 Cup, 1 Lotion Dispenser, Mosaic Tile
Price: $18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Really only 3 pieces, But it Looks Good, April 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I will say that I like the shower curtain, soap dish and soap dispenser. The colors looked great in my bathroom, and it gave my shower and sink a whole new look.

This is an economy set, and the "16 piece" set is kind of joke since 12 of those "16" pieces are shower curtain rings? But it's a nice second bathroom set, and the price is right.

Command Decor 03WFR Damage-Free Wall Tiles with White Frame Plus Riser, 3-Pack
Command Decor 03WFR Damage-Free Wall Tiles with White Frame Plus Riser, 3-Pack

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Cheaply Made, April 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Command Decor is a neat idea, and it hangs easily without putting holes in the wall, you simply use used these stick-em strips and there's like a velcro like patch on the back of each square which holds it to the wall.

The problem is, the plastic backing, and the artwork surface are extremely cheap. The plastic is very thin, and while I'm sure that helps keep the art squares lightweight, these aren't designed to last. One of the squared that came in the pack of 3 was already peeling off of the backing right out of the pack.

While I don't think I'll be hanging these "as is", I do plan on letting my daughter paint them white, and then create her own designs so that she can hang them in her art room.

Greenies Regular Bursting Blueberry Treat, 12-Ounce
Greenies Regular Bursting Blueberry Treat, 12-Ounce
Price: $17.93
5 used & new from $12.50

4.0 out of 5 stars It Really Worked, April 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With two dogs, I'm always trying out new treats for them, and when I saw these blueberry based treats shaped like a toothbrush I figured it would have to be better for their breath than another liver or chicken based product? I was skeptical that it would do much for their breath though, I mean even with regular brushing, the stink can be pretty nasty.

The dogs both gobbled up the Greenies treats, and I have to say that they did actually work. Their breath while not smelling "good", at least didn't smell like nasty dog breath. If you are looking for something a little different than another chewy meat hunk to throw on the floor, give the Greenies a shot.

Phiaton MS 100 BA Balanced Armature Earphones with Mic
Phiaton MS 100 BA Balanced Armature Earphones with Mic
Price: $79.00
8 used & new from $79.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth the Money to Me, April 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
No doubt about it these are really good earbuds, and they work well with my iPod, iPad and Mac. But honestly there is no way I would pay this kind of money for a simple set of earbuds? If I'm looking to settle in and listen to music on headphones, it's with real headphones, not earbuds. When I use earbuds it's at the gym or outside doing yardwork, so there are usually outside noises and interference, and my listening to music is simply a way to pass the time. For that reason I'll usually pick up a bunch of earbuds at the $1 store or Wal Mart. So while these do offer fantastic sound, for what I need them for, it's not worth the money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20