Profile for David Girod > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1165

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Girod RSS Feed (Westminster, Maryland)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
KitchenAid KCI10GPOB Cast Iron Grill and Panini Press Cookware - Onyx Black
KitchenAid KCI10GPOB Cast Iron Grill and Panini Press Cookware - Onyx Black
Price: $123.98
2 used & new from $123.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes The Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich!!, July 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I guess I should get this out of the way right out front...I'm sort of a hillbilly, so of course the first thing I made with this "Panini" maker was grilled ham & cheese sandwich. I honestly don't know if a "Panini" will ever make it out of this Iron Grill, as I'm pretty low rent when it comes to my food selections. So this grill will be seeing tons of action when it comes to grilled cheese sandwiches, sausage egg & cheese breakfast sandwiches, and just about any other unhealthy thing I can squash between two slice of white bread.

Just for clarity, the grilled ham & cheese was awesome!!! Crispy, hot and melty.

I'm sure my wife will probably use this Iron Grill for it's intended purpose, but for my money, I'm thrilled to have a top notch grilled cheese maker.

Viva Sol Premium Hook and Ring Game
Viva Sol Premium Hook and Ring Game
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Everyone Played.....for a Little While, June 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We usually have a big 4th of July party every year, and I like to make sure there are lots of things to do for my yard full of guests. When the kids were little, it was easy, hook up the sprinkler or the slip n' slide and for the adults it was usually horseshoes, ladder ball and a cooler full of beer. Not much has changed really, I guess the kids have outgrown the sprinkler (but probably not the slip n' slide?) so I've been looking for new and different things to try. I saw this hook and ring game and thought, that might provide a little distraction (especially combined with the cooler full of beer), and it does the trick....for a short while. We had a bonfire the other night, and I saw several people stop to give the game a try, and I would say at one point in the evening almost everyone gave the ring a toss or two, but they quickly lost interest. It's actually pretty difficult to get the ring on the hook!! It probably didn't help that it was almost 95 degrees out and pretty humid, so that even swinging in a hammock could make you sweat. I'm hoping we get a better day for July 4th, and if the results are better I'll post and update.

Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
by J. K. Rowling
Price: $7.97
1401 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Imaginative, June 19, 2015
I'm really glad I"ve decided to go back and re-read the "Harry Potter" series. It's been years since I had first read these novels, and I was hoping that they were as fun and imaginative as I remembered. With the film adaptations, which I'm very familiar with, you forget all of the little things in the novel which never made it onto the silver screen, and for that reason alone, you should make sure you read Rowling's series and not be content with the films alone.

"The Chamber of Secrets" features Harry's second year at Hogwarts School, but getting to the school in the first place seems to be a challenge, with both magical and mundane obstacles out to stop the young wizard. As the school year begins, someone or something is attacking students, seeming to pick on wizards born to "muggle" families specifically. Because of his fame, and his history, suspicion soon falls on Harry, and he must prove his innocence and stop the attacks before someone dies.

With "Chamber of Secrets" Rowling proves that she is more than a flash-in-the-pan, and that her imagination is astounding. From the "Headless Hunt" on Halloween, to pruning the garden gnomes, to a forest full of nasty spiders, fantastic images and passages drip off every page. And not only does Rowling provide a fun and imaginative ride, she writes it so well, building on the foundation of her first novel, and expanding her magical universe in a way that pulls in readers of all ages.

Captivating, full of wonderful characters, scary monsters, and at times a wonderfully morbid sense of humor, "Chamber of Secrets" is a fantastic novel.

Pre de Provence Soap Shea Enriched Everyday 300 Gram Extra Large French Soap Bar in Beafutiful Gift Box- Pierrevert
Price: $16.99
9 used & new from $14.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Fancy Soap, June 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Fancy soap. I almost hated to take this out of the box as it looks so nice! The Pre de Provence Soap smells great and lathers up very nicely, perfect for everyday use, or for a guest a bathroom.

Water for Elephants: A Novel
Water for Elephants: A Novel
by Sara Gruen
Price: $9.60
2045 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can Practically Smell the Sawdust, June 17, 2015
I knew little to nothing about this novel when I pulled it up on my Kindle. I had heard of the title, but I think that was in relation to the movie (which I've never seen?). I have to say that I was hooked almost immediately, as I like this style of narrative. Like Fannie Flagg's "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café". "Water for Elephants" is told through a series of flashbacks by the elderly narrator, and one of my favorite writing styles is where I'm reading, but being told a story by the narrator.

As the novel opens we are witness to a "murder" and a horrible "accident" under a circus big top. We then meet 93 year old Jacob, a former veterinarian who is having a difficult time getting used to life in a retirement home. The entire home is abuzz due to a circus arriving in town. Jacob soon begins to recall his youth, and the time spent as vet on the Benzini Brothers traveling circus.

Jacob's times spent with Benzini and the people who run and worked that show will pull you right in. This is the first Sara Guren novel I've read, but it won't be the last. She creates wonderful characters, that you both love...and hate. Her writing is so vivid, you can smell the sawdust and cotton candy, and she has the ability to get you chuckling one moment and choking up the next.

This is a wonderful novel, and one I would highly recommend.

Would You Rather
Would You Rather
DVD ~ Brittany Snow
Offered by Sunday River
Price: $5.72
37 used & new from $5.72

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting But Somewhat Repetitive, June 15, 2015
This review is from: Would You Rather (DVD)
With a pretty decent cast, and an interesting premise, I was hoping that "Would You Rather" would be a fun little nail-biter, and while it has it's moments, it's not a movie I will re-visit any time soon.

A young woman named Iris agrees to take part in a secretive game in hopes of winning enough money to get her cancer-stricken brother the medical procedure he needs. Iris arrives at the mansion owned by the Lambrick family, and we see the father and son have set up a nasty little game for their entertainment. 8 contestants much choose between two options per round, with the difficulty increasing each round. Actions such as strap a set of electrodes onto your head and onto your neighbor's head, and they have to choose whether to shock themselves or their neighbor. As the stakes in each round climb, so does the body count.

The premise isn't bad, and Jeffrey Combs and Robin Lord Taylor as the twisted father and son Lambricks, are fun to watch, but honestly, in a movie like this we already know the outcome...or I should say, genre fans should know where this is going pretty much from the opening moments. There are no surprises here, and the repetitive nature of the film can get a bit tedious over it's 90 minutes.

Still, if you happen to see this movie available Prime, it's worth a view.

Ortho 0475010 MAX Poison Ivy & Tough Brush Killer Ready-To-Use, 24-Ounce
Ortho 0475010 MAX Poison Ivy & Tough Brush Killer Ready-To-Use, 24-Ounce
Price: $6.49
9 used & new from $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Avoid The Extra Work and Use the Spray, June 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
July 4th is right around the corner, and at my house that means a huge party. We live right behind a park where one of the largest fireworks displays in our area is set off, so every year our house is packed with kids, animals, and every relative within driving distance. Because of this, I'm usually doing yardwork the entire week before, not only making sure it looks nice, but also making sure we don't have any scrub brush where ticks can be hiding, or worse yet a poison ivy patch where one of my little nephews could wander in and become a bumpy mass the next morning.

I grabbed up this Ortho Max to make my life a little easier. Instead of walking around with a hoe, and chopping at the brush, I can simply stroll along spraying the thicker brushy areas with this specifically designed tough brush & poison ivy spray a couple weeks ahead of the game. Give it some time to die off and dry up, go back with my heavy rake and put it all in a burn pile. No more breaking my back attacking the thicker growth, and I don't have to worry about anyone leaving the party covered in nasty poison ivy bumps.

Sons of Anarchy The Complete Series Gift Set
Sons of Anarchy The Complete Series Gift Set
DVD ~ Kim Coates
Price: $99.99
19 used & new from $95.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Show with Unforgettable Characters, June 12, 2015
When it comes to recommending this series, I really have to say it depends on the person I'm speaking to. "Sons of Anarchy" is a gritty and brutal TV show, with shocking scenes of violence and for a television show, quite a bit of sex. With that said, it also features some of the best characters I've seen on TV this side of 'Breaking Bad", and several episodes that are edge-of-your-seat nailbiters.

The Sons of Anarchy are a motorcycle gang that operates out of the small California town of Charming. Through the series we follow Jax Teller, the son of one of the club's founders as he's making his way through the ranks of the club. His step-father is the current president as the show opens, and his mother, Gemma, is the de-facto den mother to the whole club. As the series progresses we see that Jax is determined, like his father, to get the Sons away from the outlaw activity they've gotten pulled into over the years. Jax wants a better life for his family, but extracting the club from the criminal activity is much trickier than he knows.Power struggles from within and from without the club, rival gangs, the local cops, the federal government, and even the IRA all have some sort of claim on the Sons. Watching Jax try to maneuver through this minefield, all while dealing with the various personalities in his club makes for fascinating viewing.

I know that the show's star is supposed to be Charlie Hunnam's character Jax, but I have to say that the reason I kept turning back in was to see what Gemma (Katey Sagal) was going to do in each episode. Gemma is that rare TV character, like "Walter White", where despite their despicable actions, you still like them. Ron Perlman as "Clay Morrow" is another huge reason I recommend the show. There is just something so charismatic about Perlman and his character, you get pulled in one episode after the next. The acting across the board is first rate, as you get to know the club members, you really begin to like so many characters. And I have to say that "Sons of Anarchy" doesn't pull any punches with the fates of it's characters, there are certain episodes where you'll sit with your jaw on the floor, and a tear in your eye when the end credits roll.

The only thing holding me back from a full 5 star rating is there are two seasons which hurt the overall story. During the 3rd season, the club gets stuck over in Ireland for a large chunk of the show. Taking the club out of Charming just didn't feel right, and having them roaming the Irish landscape with the IRA just didn't click for me. And I have to ding the show for the final season. Without providing spoilers, they basically turned the entire core premise of the first six seasons on it's ear, and it dragged on a few episodes too long.

This is a compelling show, full of unforgettable characters, and definitely worth checking out.

The Terminator
The Terminator
DVD ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
Price: $4.99
117 used & new from $0.49

5.0 out of 5 stars An 80's Classic, June 11, 2015
This review is from: The Terminator (DVD)
I'm honestly not sure how many times I've watched this film, a few dozen since my first viewing in the theater probably? I love this movie, it has everything you could want, great action, extremely quotable, a cool synth heavy 80's score, great F/X, and Schwarzenegger at his physical peak.

Does anyone really need a plot synopsis of this film? I can't imagine there are too many people new to this series or story, and even someone seeing this film for the first time probably already knows the basic idea. Mankind is nearly wiped out in the future by machines, but a leader emerges that unites the survivors to fight back against the machines. In order to stop this leader the machines send back a terminator, a robot designed specifically to kill a specific target, in this case the leader's mother, Sarah Conner. The human send back someone as well, someone to protect Sarah from the mechanized killer.

I think what I like best about this film, is that it's a sci-fi film wrapped up in the trappings of an 80's slasher horror film. When you get down to it, there are very few differences between The Terminator and Jason Voorhees. And unlike later entries in this series, there is still a grit here, it's not all shiny and glossy. This is another 80's classic, and one you should definitely add to your collection.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
by J. K. Rowling
Price: $6.29
1694 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Magic, June 11, 2015
I honestly don't know what I could say in a review of this novel that hasn't been said already, and judging by the overwhelming number of 5 star reviews posted here, it's easy to see this is one of the most loved books you can find on this site. I've decided to re-visit the world of "Harry Potter" for the second time, specifically to re-read all of the novels in order to see if they still hold their magic all these years later, and if my rating is any indication, the first story is as good, if not better the second time through.

I won't bother with a plot summary as I think this story is so well known, it's like "Huck Finn", "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "Carrie". The story simply entered the public consciousness that I would figure even people who've never read the books or seen the movies could still tell you the basics of the story. With that said, you are really doing yourself a disservice if you skip this book and only watch the film adaptation. "The Sorcerer's Stone" is so jam packed with imagination, and fun little detail, I truly think you could read and reread this tale several times, and pick up something new with each reading. J.K. Rowling not only creates wonderful, lovable and horrible characters, but she also builds an amazing world to place them in. I was so impressed with the work Rowling built for her story, and upon this reading, I was fascinated to see all of the little things she drops into her first novel which play a much bigger role in the whole story, right from the beginner, the building blocks are in place for the larger tale, and it's really fun to go back and pick up on the clues she's sprinkled around.

There's are good reason this novel, and this story captured the world's attention, and if you are reading it for the first time (I'm envious of you), or for the 50th time, you are going to have a great time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20