Profile for Farscape 1 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Farscape 1 "George" RSS Feed (Houston, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Silicon Power 2TB Rugged Armor A30 Military Shockproof Standard 2.5-Inch USB 3.0 External Portable Hard Drive - Black (SP020TBPHDA30S3K)
Offered by Silicon Power USA - Deal Site
Price: Click here to see our price
2 used & new from $105.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent external, November 4, 2014
I love this drive. I have two, one formatted as HFS+ and one as Ext3. They both perform admirably. The one drawback is they're not very stackable because the flat sides have no traction pads, making them slippery. This is easily solved with some tiny silicon or rubber sticky pads, but it doesn't look very pretty. Otherwise, the drive is easily comparable to similar models from WD and Toshiba. Probably comparable with those from SeaGate as well, but I have no experience with those. Where this drive has it over the other models mentioned is the side grips that keep the cord from becoming lost. I'm terrible keeping track of things, and find that saves a lot of rummaging.

I have used this drive on Linux(Fedora, openSuSE, and Ubuntu) and OSX, and it performs equally admirably. Definitely a best buy.

HP/Lite-On DS-8A8SH 8x DVD±RW DL Slim Multi Burner Writer Internal SATA Drive For Notebook/Laptop PC (Black) - Bulk Packaged

3.0 out of 5 stars Get them before they're gone., October 6, 2014
I wanted a replacement Samsung internal, but they've recently 'updated' their range, and now only make a 'cheap and cheerful' (read: inferior to the older model) version. This always angers me.

I initially replaced my failing drive with a Panasonic BluRay burner. It was UTTER RUBBISH. Not one DVD or BluRay I burned worked at all. So I replaced it with this.

I'm leery of HP products, since I've heard bad things recently. Also, the Lite-On name has bad associations for me. But I was desperate.

It won't burn at full speed for DVDs, maxing out at 6x. That being said, it is burning DVDs that can be read, which is more important.

With an increasing number of companies making defective products, finding a DVD burner that works at all is getting harder.

Buy several... if they ever get them back in stock. Store them in a cloest wrapped in plastic.

It's not the best ever, not even close. It's cheap and looks it. I don't expect it to last very long.

That said, it's all that's left. Get a few. Or you'll soon find yourself without.

Panasonic UJ260, UJ-260 6x Blu-ray Burner 8x DVD Burner Player SATA Laptop Drive
Offered by Marcus-Tech
Price: $63.00
3 used & new from $63.00

1.0 out of 5 stars It arrived in good time, undamaged as far as I could tell, September 3, 2014
I never got as far as burning a bluray. It arrived in good time, undamaged as far as I could tell. However, it can't burn an acceptable DVD. I tested this forst, as blank BR are expensive by comparison. I tried at least 10 times to burn a DVD. Not once did it turn out. Several still registered as blank to my other computer. Giving up on bluray for now, going back to DVD only. This is the secong item made by Panasonic I've had tremendous difficulty with. Never again. They've lost me as a customer. Permanently.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers
Price: $119.00
8 used & new from $74.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious, May 30, 2014
I love paper books. I do. There's nothing quite like sitting down with a proper novel and reading until you fall asleep. But they take up room, and are ecologically increasingly unsound.
In a world where space is at a premium, and trees are rapidly disappearing, this device makes perfect sense.
It's not a video player, it doesn't take pictures, it's not overwhelmed with idiotic features you never wanted. It displays books.

The screen is easy to read almost anywhere. There's enough space to have hundreds of books. The battery lasts a long time and is recharged fairly quickly (buy the wall socket for the USB cable. It's idiotic that it isn't included.). It saves your place in every book.

The best bit is the book doesn't go manky and horrible like physical books, where the phrase 'well-loved' means that you've got ice cream gluing the pages together, the dog has eaten the cover, and it's being held together with a rubber band.

Buy one at once.

The Great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby
by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Price: $9.00
863 used & new from $0.20

3.0 out of 5 stars It's the so-called classic in paperback., May 30, 2014
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Paperback)
I hate to admit this in public. I loathe this book. If you're buying it at all, I can only hope it's because your child is in 9th grade English, and their teacher requires them to have a physical copy. It's not a *bad* story. But one of the great classics it isn't. It just isn't.
I rate it somewhere below Emily Dickinson's poems but above Barbara Cartland's pathetic scratchings.
It gets three stars simply for being unabridged and cheap enough that you won't be too put out when you find your child has covered it in pink highlighter. It might also be useful if you need something for your gerbil to chew (please remove the cover, as the plastic film might choke the poor creature or make it ill).

Adesso SlimTouch - 2.4 GHz RF Wireless Stainless Steel Keyboard and Mouse Combo for Windows (WKB-1200UB)
Price: $25.99
45 used & new from $24.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Interferes with Wifi - Retraction and Second Review, May 30, 2014
I had such high hopes. The keyboard and mouse themselves seem very sturdy, Well made and elegant. Setting them up is unbelievably simple on whatever OS you use. Windows, Mac, Linux all are 'plug it in, turn it on, and go'. There's only one tiny problem. Wifi within 7 meters of the thing fails utterly. This is a great pity, because I suspect I'd love this keyboard/mouse combination otherwise. If you have Wired internet, this could well be for you. If you have wifi, don't bother.

**UPDATE 4/11/2014:
I find myself in the position of retracting my earlier statement. It turns out my home wifi (provided by Comcast) was failing at the same time I tested this set of devices. I have left the original review in place and added this addendum, changing the star rating and title only. The issue has since been rectified, and I decided to give it another go. The results couldn't be more different. Save for the rather fiddly switch on the keyboard's underside, it's marvellous. The mouse wants a bit of squeak remedy, but it's sharp and responsive. The pair are a bit battery-hungry, but remembering to turn them off helps quite a bit. They now sit in front of my Mac, and I'm not missing the cords that have gone one bit.

Hauppauge 1191 WinTV-HVR-955Q USB TV Tuner For Notebook
Hauppauge 1191 WinTV-HVR-955Q USB TV Tuner For Notebook
Price: $64.27
70 used & new from $52.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, and not just on Windows., September 22, 2013
OK... let's get something straight right up front: Most computer products plaster Windows logos all over their equipment as if it's a talisman to boost sales. It is. I have no problem with this. Over half of the PC users in the world use Windows. That, I have a problem with. It means those of us who do not tend to get left out a bit. This is terribly sad, as competition drives companies to do better. Lack of competition forces us to purchase unrepentant crap at ten times the value.

I won't review this product on Windows. There are over 300 reviews for that already. Instead, I shall review it's performance for Linux «Fedora and Ubuntu, others as well, but those I can say with assurance», and tell you what you need to know to get started.

Because, let there be no mistake, THIS PRODUCT WORKS ON LINUX! It says this nowhere on the box, nor anywhere in the documentation. No software is provided for this purpose. But that's just fine. We don't need no stinking software!

Rant over. Now, on to the product.

The antenna is *rubbish*. This is fine. The box was a bit ambiguous as to if one was even included, and the instruction manual itself calls the antenna virtually worthless. Buy a cheap powered antenna and get over your disappointment.

The little cable for connecting RCA jacks would be handy if there were any software for Linux that could access it. Sadly this appears to not be the case, and short of configuring WINE, this makes it binnable by the vast majority of you. I strongly urge you avoid WINE, but hey, it's your computer. I've put it in the spare parts bin until I find a way to use it.

The little extender cable for the USB is handy if you need a little extra length to position your antenna, or, more likely, to get the cable from your box to reach. Cable will only work if your provider doesn't scramble your signal. This is increasingly likely. If you find this the case, you'll need a different device which is much more expensive and accepts a cable card.

The remote biscuit «it isn't worthy of the name control» is a nuisance device solely there so you won't whine at the device being $10 too expensive. I recommend you ship it back to them covered in wet rubber cement.

Use the included disc battery to power your travel clock.

Obviously, as I don't use Windows, I've binned the CD.

The device itself, provided you've followed my suggestion about the antenna or attached it to an unscrambled cable box, does as advertised. It's a tuner, both analogue and digital. That's all.

Now, here's what you need: Kaffeine. It's in your repository. It's free. It works. You don't even have to restart.

That's all. No special software, no faffing about with .conf files. Just install it and start it. You can follow the self-evident procedure from there. Just remember it's double-click to change channels. Somehow they never think that might be needed information.

Now off you go! Revel in the fact that Linux is superior in every way. It just doesn't have a rich daddy to push it on people.

**UPDATE 11 October 2014: Due to unbelievable greed on the part of COMCAST (They want to RENT you their DVR box), this device will no longer work for its' subscribers. I can't fault the device, which works perfectly well, so this has not affected my star rating. It does, however, negatively impact my opinion of COMCAST. There are devices you can buy which accept Cable Cards (Which you'll also have to RENT). I have adjusted the above review to reflect this recent and revolting development. I only wish it were more timely, as I have taken quite some time assuring myself there's not some workaround.

Logitech Z205 Portable Computer Speaker - Black
Logitech Z205 Portable Computer Speaker - Black
Offered by The Surplus-Hut
Price: $67.95
7 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Resolved my problem., June 28, 2013
The sound card in my Toshiba L755-S5167 laptop suddenly failed. The last time something went wrong with it, it cost over $150 to fix. I do not have lots of money to to put into my laptop for issues caused by shoddy workmanship or cheap parts. So, rather than throwing good money after bad, I decided on a cheaper solution: external speakers.
I obviously wanted one that attached itself to the laptop, as the ones that don't cost extra desk space, and become a problem should you want the computer somewhere other than a desk or table; a situation I find myself in frequently.
As my headphone jack still works, I also wanted one that uses the jack, rather than hogging a USB port. These do not exist.
I also wanted a name brand. Having had good luck with Logitech dating back to a Cyberman mouse-like device that is still working some 20 years later, and seeing the price wasn't out of order, I decided on the Z205.

It arrived in good time, wrapped in Amazon-standard packaging (those plastic pillows), as well as the shelf packaging (shattery formed plastic better than the sealed kind it takes garden shears to open). There isn't much documentation, but it isn't necessary. What was there I threw away without a glance. It's a speaker, what else could I possibly need to know? I plugged it in the USB port, and clipped it to the top of my monitor slightly to one side, as the webcam is in the center. Then I tried a program with sound.
Nothing. I was LIVID. For all of 5 seconds.
The old, broken, piece of cheap [expletive] sound card was still the default device. Changing that took all of 20 seconds. The procedure varies across operating systems, but even novices should find it simple to do.

Should you have trouble with this product under Linux:
The Toshiba has Sabayon Linux 13.04 installed on it, and the procedure for that OS is as follows:
1. Open Rigo and type: pavucontrol
2. Install Pavucontrol (if you can't manage this on your own, you need more assistance than I can provide in a product review)
3. Run Pavucontrol by pressing [Alt + F2] and typing: pavucontrol [Enter]
4. On the 'Configuration' tab, change 'Built-in Audio' to 'Analog Stereo Input' if you use a microphone, or 'off' if you don't.
5. Change 'Logitech Z205' to 'Analog Stereo Output'
6. Close Pavucontrol
The procedure for other flavors of Linux will be the same for steps 2-6. Replace step 1 with your own software manager (Software Center for Ubuntu, YaST for openSUSE, and so on).

This speaker, as well as being considerably louder than the original speakers, also has better quality of sound. Well worth the price.

Toshiba 1.5 TB Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0 Portable Hard Drive in Black (HDTB115XK3CA)
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, Quiet, and Easy, March 22, 2013
I recently ran out of space on my main external drive (A 2TB WD), and needed more space quickly. I stumbled across this drive whilst searching for a drive identical to my main one, and decided to give it a try. The size is a big plus, as I'm rapidly running out of desk space. As I use Ubuntu, I threw away the included software as superfluous. Upon inserting the plug, the drive was awake and ready in seconds, much faster than my main external. It also awakens much faster than the main one.

Looking at the reviews, I can't help but feel some of these people have been playing rugby with their drives.
I've only had it a few days, but so far I have nothing but praise for it. More when and if anything happens to change my mind.

Micca Speck 1080p Full-HD Ultra Portable Digital Media Player For USB Drives and SD/SDHC Cards
Offered by Micca Distributor
Price: $49.95
4 used & new from $28.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Little Device, January 15, 2013
For $40, I expected a cheap plastic thing that might play avi and mp3 files, provided they were carefully created using a very limited set of codecs. I was quite surprised to find the box is aluminium and quite sturdy. It has also played every file I could throw at it, and played them correctly (no stretching or compressing, unless you want it). It connected to my TV in seconds, as I already had a HDMI cable, which, for some reason, is NOT included in the box. The remote is small but easy to use, once you locate 2 AAA batteries (also NOT included).

The Pros:
Sturdy, Aluminium construction
Plays virtually any file (Video or Audio)
Starts quickly
USB and SHDC cards accepted
NTFS or Fat32 format
up to 2TB USB HDD can be attached
HDMI or RCA output

The Cons:
No HDMI cable
No batteries for remote
Remote is small and not well planned. (the Play/Pause and Stop buttons are too small, like they were forgotten)
Front input only
Remote sensor easily blocked

The verdict:
For the price, it acquits itself well. A definite first choice for people with little space or a small budget. A USB HDD is highly recommended, as you can keep literally days worth of viewing material at hand.

Please support small companies like Micca, as without them, larger companies are free to sell us cheap crap at premium prices, and we'll have no choice but to buy inferior products.

Page: 1 | 2