Profile for Bernard Chapin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1283

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bernard Chapin "Ora Et Labora!" RSS Feed (CHICAGO! USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Noble Hustle: Poker, Beef Jerky, and Death
The Noble Hustle: Poker, Beef Jerky, and Death
by Colson Whitehead
Price: $19.05
93 used & new from $4.14

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious, Dull, and a Complete Waste of Time, July 28, 2014
This is the worst book I've ever read about poker. As a writer Whitehead is pretentious, dull, and untalented. I'm not surprised he fits in well at the New York Lies, but this text has practically no substance whatsoever. Most of the pages are filled with over-description, constant attempts at being cute, and a profound lack of intellect. If he has a good story to tell he still hasn't told it. He is very ignorant about poker and the book matches well his ambitions to live in "The Republic of Anhedonia."

How to Deal with Narcissists: Why They Became Evil, How They Think, and Strategies and Techniques to Take Control
by Michael Trust
Price: $23.97
15 used & new from $23.97

5.0 out of 5 stars The Junction Between Politics and Mental Illness, July 27, 2014
This is an outstanding book. I loved his previous work on evolutionary psychology and politics. He is right to equate devout leftists with narcissism as their minds are disturbed and they are presently destroying our nation in the hopes of ameliorating their psychological symptoms. I really appreciate what Trust has contributed with his last two efforts and I hope he keeps writing books for the rest of his life.

The Gambler
The Gambler
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, June 9, 2014
This review is from: The Gambler (Amazon Instant Video)
I did not know anything about John O'Shea before I watched this documentary and one has to admire the way in which he freely and bravely lives his own life. I just wish he'd lower his limits for online poker when going through a bad run as he did during the course of the film! Up there at the nosebleed stakes its easy to lose a fortune in a very small amount of time. It was hard to understand how he lost 400k while in Vegas given his skill, but I hope he has a better run of luck next year. The Gambler is a closeup look at a very engaging personality. This film is not about glamour. It shows the dark side and unpredictability of gambling for a living as well. Excellent documentary overall.

Brewer's Yeast 500 mg 500 Tabs
Brewer's Yeast 500 mg 500 Tabs
Offered by Swanson Health Products
Price: $4.49
4 used & new from $4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, June 9, 2014
I got these pretty cheaply here. I am satisfied with the product. I take these as a way to get extra Niacin and protein. When I was younger they used to carry brewer's yeast everywhere. Nowadays its rarely seen at stores which is why I bought mine here.

BET RAISE FOLD:  The Story of Online Poker
BET RAISE FOLD: The Story of Online Poker
DVD
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Slow, Too Much Human Interest, Not Enough Narrative, June 9, 2014
Bet Raise Fold is a documentary that tells the story of three individuals in the context of the poker boom that occurred between 2003 and 2011. I think that making this film was a great idea and I am sympathetic to the creator's passion in documenting an era that was irrationally destroyed by the US government. I saw their kickstarter and the support they got at 2+2. I admire them for their initiative in getting this movie made. What I admired less was the way in which the story was actually told. We follow three players for most of the movie and its very, very slow. I would have liked to see a better narrative and one presented up front. We know that in 2006 and 2011 the federocracy acted in a heinous way to disrupt the dreams and lives of countless people, but I would have liked to see more from the heyday and fall than what we see here. More facts, less human interest would sum up my take on Bet Raise Fold. Following three players around was not the way to tell the story of online poker.

The Way of Men
The Way of Men
by Jack Donovan
Price: $12.41
45 used & new from $8.31

5.0 out of 5 stars An Important Work, June 9, 2014
This review is from: The Way of Men (Paperback)
I didn't agree with everything in this book and I know that Jack Donovan's perspective and my own are not identical, but The Way of Men is a great achievement due to its defense of masculinity. The Way of Men is not the way of women, and merely to say that in the present day is partly heretical. The feminine is the ideal and men are encouraged to become more feminine in their tastes and personna. Mr. Donovan has no use for such propaganda. He is proud to be a man. Here, in these pages, he puts forth a defense of the masculine virtues and I encourage you to read it. We all need to stand up for ourselves and let younger men know that there's nothing wrong with being a free, proud man.

The Wolf of Wall Street
The Wolf of Wall Street
DVD ~ Leonardo DiCaprio
Offered by Warehouse Deals 4 Less
Price: $11.26
110 used & new from $3.36

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but a Goodfellas Ripoff, June 9, 2014
This review is from: The Wolf of Wall Street (DVD)
I love Scorcese and his movies but I thought that--unlike Casino--The Wolf of Wall Street was a Goodfellas ripoff. A lot of the template for the film was the same including the flashback sequences, but there is nowhere near the level of characterization as there was in the nineties classic. The characters are hollow and there's no reason to care about what happens to these individuals. I thought it was technically well done but the story was weak. It in no way is indicative of "Wall Street" or much else. Belfort sounds like he was a psychopath in real life which may be why his character was so unappealing.

The Evolutionary Psychology Behind Politics: How Conservatism and Liberalism Evolved Within Humans
by Anonymous Conservative
Price: $25.03
31 used & new from $25.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Astounding Work, June 1, 2014
Everyone was talking about this book but the price was such that I never bought it. Eventually, it got into the $20 range so I picked one up. The first 60 pages has a lot of repetition in it and probably should have been only 20 pages. I got bored with the theory restatement, skipped ahead and fell in love with the rest of the book. This is a masterpiece both of psychology and history. You'll understand politics like never before once you finish it. I highly recommend this book.

Pain-RX Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals, Inc. 90 Tabs
Pain-RX Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals, Inc. 90 Tabs
Offered by Health Supplements Blowout
Price: $12.99
7 used & new from $12.03

5.0 out of 5 stars It works! No idea why, January 8, 2014
I've got two bulging discs in my back and I try to stay off the ibuprofen treadmill as much as possible. I bought these last month and am absolutely shocked that they work. I don't know why they work. I don't recognize many of the ingredients but they are effective. This is true even when I take only two of them. I took four yesterday after about 2 total hours of snow shoveling and its been a huge improvement. I'll leave it to someone else to study the science behind them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2014 3:42 PM PDT

ZANheadgear Micro Fleece Balaclava with Zipper (Black)
ZANheadgear Micro Fleece Balaclava with Zipper (Black)
Price: $10.78
40 used & new from $6.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and Worth the Money, December 27, 2013
I suppose there are cheaper Balaclavas out there like one I saw at Costco the other day, but this one is made from the microfleece which is smooth on the skin and doesn't dry you out. The zipper isn't rough or annoying on your face either. I like these because, when its really cold, the Balaclava heats up the air I breathe and humidifies it as well. I also don't like having to walk around babysitting a scarf all day when I'm out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20