Profile for Pauley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pauley RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA)

NATURE'S WAY, Yarrow Flowers - 100 caps
NATURE'S WAY, Yarrow Flowers - 100 caps
Offered by Vitamin Answer
Price: $5.32
19 used & new from $1.34

5.0 out of 5 stars now it's fine., March 24, 2015
My epidymitis seems to be cured. I used to get it if I even slightly bumped my left teste; now it's fine.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2015 11:54 AM PDT

Survivors: Vietnam P.o.w.s Tell Their Stories
Survivors: Vietnam P.o.w.s Tell Their Stories
by Zalin Grant
Price: $17.50
79 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, July 28, 2012
I read it while I was stationed in S. Korea, during the seventies. It made a lot of sense to me; and R. Garwood, sure enough, seemed like a traitor. Interesting book. After I finished it, I passed it on to others, who also liked it.

Patient Communication Picture Board
Patient Communication Picture Board
Offered by Hopkins Medical Products
Price: $19.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy piece of cardboard., February 16, 2012
Not worth the $20; it's worth maybe $5 or $6. It's basically cardboard with some glossy coding. Plus, the product came bent. Also, the writing on the board is small; the only good thing is that they are colored. I should have gone to a teacher's supply store.

The Road Less Traveled, Timeless Edition: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth
by M. Scott Peck
Price: $9.50
322 used & new from $0.81

2.0 out of 5 stars Read with caution, December 28, 2005
I found this book to be a challenge, and in some ways helpful; but I would advise the reader to read this book with caution; in other words: do not take what Peck says as gospel.

For example, Peck advises: "The only way that we can be certain that our map of reality is valid is to expose it to the criticism and challenge of other map-makers." (P. 52)

I think this is a dogmatic and biased statement. At times, yes we can get feedback from others with regard to "our map of reality" being valid; but I also think that one can validate their map of reality by observing reality and trusting their own capcity to criticize and percieve correctly rather than exposing our map, or way of seeing things, to other "map-makers."

Peck also seems to imply that if a person has a problem in psychotherapy, it's "their" problem, not that of a poor psychotherapist, or the fact that a person may not need psychotherapy at all.

The book does present some challenges that stimulate further thinking and discovery. For example, on page 282 Peck states: "In other words, mental illness occurs when the conscious will of the individual deviates substantially from the will of God, which is the individual's own unconscious will." I asked a psychiatric resident about this, who replied: "Hmmm, an interesting perspective."

Sometimes I felt that Peck was trying to make a treatise for people to enter psychotherapy and giving the psychotherapist an almost godlike status, as if they are always right and never wrong.

I think the best way to read this book, is to read it with a skeptical mind, yet respecting that it's one doctor's way of seeing things.